Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Anniversary of the Zhitnik trade, why did that ever happen?

At this point I'm hoping LA doesn't mess with team chemistry too much. I wonder if a McCabe may be a better fit now. Still hate to give up a first for him tho. Definitely not a 23 1st.

Last edited:
Reactions: AbsentMojo

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Anniversary of the Zhitnik trade, why did that ever happen?

At this point I'm hoping LA does mess with team chemistry too much. I wonder if a McCabe may be a better fit now. Still hate to give up a first for him tho. Definitely not a 23 1st.
Salary dump, like everything after the 93 run. Fuhr was an expiring contract and the Kings were broke and/or up for sale. Don't remember the exact timing.

Reactions: LAKings88

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
If the Coyotes don't move him and at least get back a haul before the deadline, they have overplayed this because he is injury prone and his value is at a high right now. He is playing well after coming back and after the playoffs are over, the contenders are less likely to overpay. That said, if the offers are not good, then they have no other choice. I tend to think that there are equitable offers out there but they are tone deaf and think he is better than what he is and that's why teams are pivoting to guys like Karlsson.
I think the Cryotes already messed this up. JC’s highest value would have been this past summer IMO and the fact he hasn’t been traded means Armstrong had a brain fart and expected a franchise changing haul for the guy. Nope. Not happening.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think the Cryotes already messed this up. JC’s highest value would have been this past summer IMO and the fact he hasn’t been traded means Armstrong had a brain fart and expected a franchise changing haul for the guy. Nope. Not happening.

Especially now that it's a clear LHD market with him, Gavrikov, and like 8-10 others. Chychrun is clearly the best, but as I've been harping, the talent gap between him and others isn't nearly as large as the reported value gap. AZ gonna get left holding the bag unless one of the window-open teams gets more desperate.

I'll admit I'm hard on Blake but I get the feeling he knows the pressure is firmly on AZ now especially now that they've SAT him and has made his final offer. If I'm Rob I'm saying go ahead and shop him around, we'll be here waiting.

However I'm far LESS confident that Blake isn't ALSO in win-now mode and is actually willing to give up some serious pieces to try to suggest we're winning in the next 3 years or bust

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Where does Vilardi slot, when he comes back? (hopefully Friday)

You would surely think this must move Lizotte down the 4C. Somehow, Todd will find a way to put Vilardi on line 4, I fear. It honestly seems insane, that the Kings have drafted 4 centers in round 1 since 2017, yet none are playing center on the Kings...above line 4

2017 Vilardi 11 OA, 2018 Kupari 20 OA, 2019 Turcotte 5 OA, Byfield 2020 2 OA.
Yet, none are playing above 4C on the Kings.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso

You would surely think this must move Lizotte down the 4C. Somehow, Todd will find a way to put Vilardi on line 4, I fear. It honestly seems insane, that the Kings have drafted 4 centers in round 1 since 2017, yet none are playing center on the Kings...above line 4

Lizotte hasn't been playing all that well lately. But my guess is Kupari/JAD sits and Iafallo moves to line 4, and Vilardi back with Fiala/Lizotte.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Centers make up at least half the forwards taken in the early rounds despite only being 1 of 3 forward positions. That's where the best players always end up from a young age. It's like this on a lot of teams, it's just the way it is. I expect Pinelli to follow this same trend, if he sticks around.

The skillset for a center in the NHL is really demanding.

Even though Byfield is playing well on the first line, I'd put Vilardi in his spot and put QB between Fiala and Iafallo.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I have always placed equal blame on Gretzky and the Russian Mafia
One and the same. No one knows the secret identity of the double agent Ueyn Gretzkiov. He is like the Soviet Batman, only evil because he is a commie and a Marxist.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole

QB Kopi Kempe
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Fiala Lizotte Vilardi
Iafallo ??? Kaliyev

Kupari
JAD
Lemieux
Grundstrom

Ideally QB goes to 3C, Lizotte drops down to 4C and AI goes to Kopi's wing by default.

Given how well QB is doing on the wing, who knows.

(Maybe you can package Walker and Grundstom/Lemieux for a LD) and clear some cap space.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
QB Kopi Kempe
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Fiala Lizotte Vilardi
Iafallo ??? Kaliyev

Kupari
JAD
Lemieux
Grundstrom

Ideally QB goes to 3C, Lizotte drops down to 4C and AI goes to Kopi's wing by default.

(Maybe you can package Walker and Grundstom/Lemieux for a LD) and clear some cap space.

And it's not just QB benefitting from playing on the 1st line. Both Kopi and Kempe are getting a production bump out of it.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
QB Kopi Kempe
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Fiala Lizotte Vilardi
Iafallo ??? Kaliyev

Kupari
JAD
Lemieux
Grundstrom

Ideally you trade Iafallo at the deadline.. with everyone healthy, Iafallo slots in on the 4th line... normally you dont spend 4m on a 4th liner. Kaliyev is certainly not a 4th liner. Id rather see Vilardi centering Fiala and Kaliyev. In practice Fiala becomes the play driver/maker on whatever line he is on.. so the main thing Gabe would have to focus on is the D-zone coverage.

Reactions: tbrown33

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I just don't like Lizotte between Fiala and Iafallo, that line could be more productive. Byfield might fit because he's a space maker, and we all see what Fiala does with space. It would be difficult to mess with that first line right now, though.

Fiala has the puck so much you just need a center that is defensively responsible. Would be nice if Lizotte was a bit taller and had more of a scoring touch.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Ideally you trade Iafallo at the deadline.. with everyone healthy, Iafallo slots in on the 4th line... normally you dont spend 4m on a 4th liner. Kaliyev is certainly not a 4th liner. Id rather see Vilardi centering Fiala and Kaliyev. In practice Fiala becomes the play driver/maker on whatever line he is on.. so the main thing Gabe would have to focus on is the D-zone coverage.

Which Gabe is not proficient at. He doesn't have the wheels for that, it's a surefire way to watch his production plummet.

If they want to just toss defense out the window on that line it would totally work.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Horrible Trade but then again in that era most where....most infuriating thing was Boucher being injured all the time and having his first solid season just in time for him to be a UFA and signing with the Stars.

It was just standard operating procedure for the Kings to prematurely give up on good, young defensemen. This also happened on February 14.

• Wow
Reactions: LAKings88

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Iaffalo is redundant but they love him so much. I'd like to see Kaliyev get a shot with Fiala and move Gabe up with Kopi and Kempe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad