Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
I would honestly go after LW/C Barbashev, (and possibly McCabe, for a reasonable price) over dealing Clarke or Vilardi, for Chychrun.

It is ridiculous to have your best offensive weapon at LW3, playing with Lizotte.
This is a bigger issue than LHD or Goaltending and TM won't budge from Lizotte,
Byfield has found his game, at LW1 and it's been great for him, as well as Kopi and
Kempe. Byfiled is getting chances every game and making plays...he had 5 shots last night.
So, he's not your 3C now...but neither should Lizotte be, I'd try Vilardi there, but understand
how he's been working at wing...plus, who knows when he's actually coming back.

If Fiala can't play LW1, with the lack of chemistry it was with Kopi and Kempe,
put him with Danault. The Danault, Moore, Arvidsson line was stellar last year,
but has been disjointed and messed by injuries, this year. Moore can succeed on any line,
so put Fiala with Danault and Arvidsson.

OR, then get a legit 3C like Barbashev and Fiala could thrive more, if you want him LW3.
Get Lizotte back as 4C

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Trading Clarke would be stupid. Not just for talent reasons, but for cap ones. A player of his quality on a value contract is invaluable.

And just to dispel some myths, Chychrun has never been a first-line player. Since he's been in the league he's always had lower competition assignments while others have done the heavy lifting. Not that he's not valuable in his own way, but a top-pairing D is too high of an expectation for him. Especially come playoff time when the opposition gets better.

He's Durzi on steroids or Carlson light, take your pick.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm not saying he will, but is it so hard to believe that he could potentially be?
Id expect him to on the team if he was that good unless you think Blake is that much of a moron. Doughty was the best dman during the WJC with the only knock on him was him being a bit chubby. Just really bizarre to make that comparison. You think Blake is trading rookie doughty for Chychrun. Hard sell.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
The issue in Clarke for Chychrun isn't about the quality of the player. It's about the future "ways-out" you have to a championship team. Getting Chychrun for Clarke makes contending more concrete now, but significantly narrows the number of "ways-out" to the Cup and produces a paper thin margin for it to actually work out given the state of the team. Keeping Clarke makes contending now much less clear, but gives you many more ways-out in future, that's flexibility.

Given the state of the team, when you weigh these two options on a scale, the concreteness of competing, the band of different possibilities as to how this would become a Cup team...I would make the argument that keeping Clarke is the right decision in this case for two reasons.

Adding Chychrun moves you from a bubble team to a concrete playoff team that however still needs a miracle and significantly decreases flexibility and possible future developments. On the other hand keeping Clarke allows you open ended possibilities, including the option to address the LD problem differently than moving Clarke for Chychrun. One could even bring the Fiala deal in question again: could you get that LD you need for Faber and 1st (or even more) AND keep Clarke?

The issue isn't about projection or quality of player, it's the timing and what it does to the franchise relative to its state. I don't see any indication that Clarke for Chychrun would be in the interest of the Kings at this time. I frankly can't see a logical argument for it that isn't based on luck, a so-so wide-open western conference and the idea of "we're getting a great player now, we'll deal with those issues later". All of these are delusional, unless you have a specific statement about how you are going to deal with those issues later when you make a clear analysis of this possible move and different scenarios to which it could lead. I understand the appeal, the emotions, I know it's tempting to think what could possibly go wrong when adding a player of this calibre, and sometimes it's true that things work out. You can't predict the future completely, but it's very hard to make a logical case that Clarke for Chychrun is in the Kings interest now.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
All of us are on a forum though...imagine you're 5 years into your tenure, you have a good but not great team on ice. You haven't had much success after many barren years, last year a first round exit. You have the choice of moving something centered around Clarke for Chychrun and Vejmelka, maybe with some picks they even take Peterson. You need a LD a goalie and probably a 3C. That leaves you only with a 3C hole (if you can't make the deal bigger to get even a 3C that you like here and essentially "fill" all your holes).

How many voices in that room say "keeping Clarke is the right choice"? Anybody who likes their job is unlikely to say so when presented with this deal that seemingly solves so many issues. It would take massive balls.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I agree.
This is not the Richards trade but I feel Blake thinks it is. Short term gain to satisfy the vets in making another run before they run out of steam. We haven't even established the young core yet and we send out our best D prospect. In a few years we'll be looking for a #1 RD once Doughty slows down. On top of the huge cap hits they will both carry Drew and Chychrun in a few years. I feel there are better options without giving up Clarke.
This is such horseshit

We haven't established the youth core yet really? Really?

Healthy lineup take out Kopitar make some lines.

Shit I mean we literally did that last year with Doughty, why do you think so many have their panties bunched about Spence

DoktorJeep

Fair winds and following seas Nikolai.
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Pushing the start of Clarke’s ELC makes sense if he’s being traded to a rebuilding team.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Still no second source confirmation several hours after the Kypreos tweet.
So either Kypreos is getting a Pulitzer or its BS. Which seems more likely?
I am a naturally skeptical person, dont mean to break anyone's rice bowl.

Reactions: tny760

EmuRidingLuffy

Jun 4, 2022
QLD, Australia
Regrading dumping Cal in the potential trade, what isn't brought up really is what if he has Arizona on his M-NTC? Like it wouldn't surprise if 7 Canadian teams + Buffalo are 8 of them, then Arizona is another? Puts it dead in the water.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Trading Clarke for Chychrun seems like a panic move. Like if the Kings were floundering and falling and Blake was throwing out a life preserver to save the season.

If they did a panic move for a goalie it’d be more understandable. But I just don’t see Clarke involved.

Turcotte, Durzi/Spence, Grans, 1st, Walker or Iafallo for cap reasons.
The panic is executive management above Blake is getting impatient.
And its Clarke as the main piece for Chyc and Veggie, makin the Kings a contender in some peoples minds.

1. THe Rumors.
2. Moverare sent down.
3. Copley signed a contract to deter waiver pick up.
4. Time is running out for Quick, Kopi and DD.
5. Blake has had a half decade.
6. Clarke years away definsively
7. Plugs holes on LHD and GT.
8.Kings have played very well at times considering holes.
9.Weak Pacific.
10. Colorado stumbling.
11. Last years surprise playoff run
12. Having DD and Arv this year.

Last edited:

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
All of us are on a forum though...imagine you're 5 years into your tenure, you have a good but not great team on ice. You haven't had much success after many barren years, last year a first round exit. You have the choice of moving something centered around Clarke for Chychrun and Vejmelka, maybe with some picks they even take Peterson. You need a LD a goalie and probably a 3C. That leaves you only with a 3C hole (if you can't make the deal bigger to get even a 3C that you like here and essentially "fill" all your holes).

How many voices in that room say "keeping Clarke is the right choice"? Anybody who likes their job is unlikely to say so when presented with this deal that seemingly solves so many issues. It would take massive balls.

I always aprreciate your posts and insights.

Last year round 1, they were up 3-2 vs the Oilers.
The didn't have Doughty, Arvidsson...and Edler was not 100%. Byfield was not ready to make a difference and played 2 games. Vilardi was not ready to make a difference and played 2 games. And of course, Fiala was on Minnesota. Fast forward here, 10 months and Doughty is playing great, Arvidsson is playing ok, Fiala is leading the team in scoring from line 3...and Byfield is playing like a legit #1 LW. Vilardi was the best player on the team, the first 2 weeks and in top 5 for goals in the NHL for about a month. If he can return, he will make a difference. The PP has gone from 27 to 7th. The downfall is goals against. But this is a better team, than the one the lost round 1. (in part just having healthy DD and Arvidsson) Can this current team win a round or 2? It's possible,

So? Is this a team that can contend for a cup? No. Should they add here and see if they can be good enough
to win 2 round or the Conference? Yes. Winning the conference would take luck, 3 or 4 playing out of their minds and stellar goaltending.
I'm all for adding, but not giving up QB, Clarke or Vilardi...and if Spence or Kaliyev were to go, it had better be for a very good player, with term.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
How has Doughty been on PP1? Would Chychrun replace him pretty quickly if not immediately?

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
WTF? A King, outside NHL/AHL? Laferriere, Hughes, Kirsanov? Simontaival, Jamsen, Salin?
EDIT: Eeck. Should not post whilst watching Super Bowl...thought he meant CHL too, I guess.

Last edited:

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Just feel like this is a crazy move. Imagine we give up all these assets for him and then Copley starts to falter a bit. Or Chychrun (statistically likely) gets hurt. Would prefer getting a more defensively focused LHD that wouldn't cost nearly as much especially considering we have so many offensive D in the organization atm.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
It's possible Blake sees other teams putting points up, slipping into the wild card, Pheonix as the starter & says if I can make a trade I don't have to update my resume this summer.

Richards is a good comp for Chychrun, because of the injuries we didn't know we're coming with Richards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad