Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yeah if they trade Spence in ANY form for Edmundson I am immediately done with this regime

Edmundson is an Edler replacement, not a 2nd pairing solution.

With how many LHD are reportedly available paying a premium for Edmundson seems foolish. Someone mentined the Regehr price and that's as far as I would go.
How many are there ? I didn’t know there was a big LD marker

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
I'd do an Iafallo, Walker for Edmundson, Allen & the ghost of Monahan (UFA, retained) swap.

Allen, Cal next year could be bad.

If a 1st or good prospect is involved, the trade needs to be for a long term solution. Not Edmundson for 1.5 seasons. Guhle or Xhekaj need to be in the conversation to start talking about a 1st.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I'd do an Iafallo, Walker for Edmundson, Allen & the ghost of Monahan (UFA, retained) swap.

Allen, Cal next year could be bad.

If a 1st or good prospect is involved, the trade needs to be for a long term solution. Not Edmundson for 1.5 seasons. Guhle or Xhekaj need to be in the conversation to start talking about a 1st.

I don't think Cal will be with the team next year. I see him part of a trade .

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Cal's hit is 3.8 in the AHL. Buying him out this year gains very little relief. Blake doesnt have a track record of paying to get rid of bad contracts thus far. After 2024 the buyout has very attractive terms, or it will be relatively cheap to get rid of his expiring contract in a deal. Either way its realistically 2024.
Whether Cal finds his game (or ever had NHL game) will have been settled by then.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If Cal is not on the team next year because of a trade then Blake is the GOAT :sarcasm:

Worse contracts , by even even worse players have been moved. They'll have to probably eat some money, but I think they need to move on from him and accept he's not the future.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Worse contracts , by even even worse players have been moved. They'll have to probably eat some money, but I think they need to move on from him and accept he's not the future.
Agreed. There is something wrong w him.. not sure if he has a drug problem, emotional problem or what.. but he does not behave like a pro. ie, he gets visibly down in middle of games after some adversity. On top of that he is slow reacting.. I didnt notice it back during the 20-21 season - he was good.. i said, this guy plays very calm and poised - the anti-quick.. not once did i notice he had bad reaction times.. but last season and this.. i could tell right away the guy was not with it.. couldnt get post to post, had bad alignment when trying to cut down angles - just looked so lost. Whatever it is, its a distraction to have a guy like that with his contract and no reason behind his decline. It would be best if he gets his game back elsewhere for him and the Kings org... yet due to buyout rules, prob need to keep him in Ontario through next season.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Agreed. There is something wrong w him.. not sure if he has a drug problem, emotional problem or what.. but he does not behave like a pro. ie, he gets visibly down in middle of games after some adversity. On top of that he is slow reacting.. I didnt notice it back during the 20-21 season - he was good.. i said, this guy plays very calm and poised - the anti-quick.. not once did i notice he had bad reaction times.. but last season and this.. i could tell right away the guy was not with it.. couldnt get post to post, had bad alignment when trying to cut down angles - just looked so lost. Whatever it is, its a distraction to have a guy like that with his contract and no reason behind his decline. It would be best if he gets his game back elsewhere for him and the Kings org... yet due to buyout rules, prob need to keep him in Ontario through next season.
I just don't think he was ever very good, everyone was tricked by small sample sizes. He had a .924 in 18-19 but only played 11 games. Then had a .922 next season but only played 8 games. A respectable .911 in 35 games next season, but is that worth giving him the contract he got? When he finally started being leaned on as "the guy," his workload began increasing, and teams began figuring him out, turns out he probably just wasn't all that good to begin with. Imo this contract is the worst thing Blake has done in his tenure, his ratio of hits to misses is still pretty good, but bad goalie contracts are probably some of the worst things to miss on.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I just don't think he was ever very good, everyone was tricked by small sample sizes. He had a .924 in 18-19 but only played 11 games. Then had a .922 next season but only played 8 games. A respectable .911 in 35 games next season, but is that worth giving him the contract he got? When he finally started being leaned on as "the guy," his workload began increasing, and teams began figuring him out, turns out he probably just wasn't all that good to begin with. Imo this contract is the worst thing Blake has done in his tenure, his ratio of hits to misses is still pretty good, but bad goalie contracts are probably some of the worst things to miss on.
Oh yeah that was a severely bad signing. I remember being shocked by the AAV... 3 years is fine, but 5mil? I think most of the board was scratching their heads about it - and its like the Hickey pick.. no we arent the crazy ones.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's been pointed out before that other goalies with comparable experience and numbers got the same contract, which is key with RFAs.

It's a bad contract, for sure, but I don't blame Blake on it. Petersen's been declining year after year.

People are happy with Copley - if Petersen put up Copley numbers, people would be talking more about a long-term replacement instead of "this needs to be addressed yesterday."

Reactions: David Lunch

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
the Hickey pick
I have a somewhat random question...

why does the Hickey pick get more attention than the Tuebert pick? Is it just because Hickey was 4th and Tuebert was 13th?

Is it because Teubert was in a draft where the Kings hit on Doughty and Voynov?

Hickey was an NHL player and they could have moved him for a 1st round pick which is a tragedy but he played 430 more games than Teubert.

In the history of bad draft picks made by this organization Hickey doesn't crack the top 10 for me but the way people flock back to mentioning it you would think it cost the team in a serious way.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

why does the Hickey pick get more attention than the Tuebert pick? Is it just because Hickey was 4th and Tuebert was 13th?

Hickey was an NHL player and they could have moved him for a 1st round pick which is a tragedy but he played 430 more games than Teubert.

In the history of bad draft picks made by this organization Hickey doesn't crack the top 10 for me but the way people flock back to mentioning it you would think it cost the team in a serious way.
The Hickey pick because it was top 5 pick and DL went far off the board.. it was a shocker. But you are right Teubert was a complete dud.. But Hickey was also lost to waivers.. so the net net of Hickey was just an all around bummer. Edit: and Teubert even worse because the Kings gave up 2 1sst to the Ducks to move up to get him.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

Well, in a weird way the Hickey pick influenced the Teubert pick. I can't find the quote, but I remember Deano or the scouting staff mentioning that they were specifically looking for a tougher Dman after picking two puck movers. I will say one funny thing about the Hickey pick, Keaton Ellerby was a top ranked skater that year and I don't think many would have batted an eye if he had been picked instead. We still ended up with him for a bit.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It kind of is funny that we went from Deano not caring about drafting the best players but the right ones for the culture he was always pursuing to like a complete opposite of Blake wanting to almost always take the BPA if he fits the mold of speed and skill even if it means never drafting a goalie or always drafting 400 centers and right defensemen :P

Would it be frowned upon to circle back to Provorov? He'd be a nice fit and possibly cheaper than Chychrun.

There's no way Provorov wouldn't be a huge distraction. Not to mention his brand would not fly one bit in LA.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I don’t think mentioning drugs is even remotely appropriate.

It’s confidence IMO, he’s not trusting himself or his technique which will explain his reaction times. I get the frustrated part because he’s not doing himself justice. Maybe being ‘the guy’ has played a part in it but at his best he is better than Copley even if he would still be a bit over paid.

When any player has confidence issues it’s hard to get out of it but they have the option to give a skater sheltered minutes and build slowly. With a goalie they cannot do that, so sending him down was the right choice. I hope he’s also seeing a sports psychologist. I think it’s a big IF as to whether he can get his game back mentally but if he can he’d at least be a decent backup. I think he will get a recall at some point after the TDL because they will want to see if he can do a job in the Play-Offs if needed. He’s certainly in better shape than he was and right now with Quick also struggling badly they need to know what they have in him as an option down the stretch or in the Playoffs. There is no way Quick gets waived but perhaps being a healthy scratch could be on the cards. Lots of IF’s though.

Reactions: David Lunch

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The more time goes on, the less inclined I am to believe the AHL is a true 'developmental' league. It's only like the 7th most talented league in the world and it's full of has-beens and never-was'.

Maybe as a 'finishing' league--great for pro systems, learning to protect yourself vs. men, strength/conditioning, learning the NA rink for Europeans.

Not for talent growth. If you have an offensive prospect you want to dominate and isn't coming straight to the league, just leave him in his OG environment until they age out.
I guess the rationale is having everyone in the same place and being able to work with them more closely. I’m sure if the AHL side were still in Manchester we’d see different decisions. I’m not saying they are correct in every instance but I am certain that’s a big part of the reasoning.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Do you think my boy Blakey is gonna pull a big sexy trade or is this going to be stetcher 2.0

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Do you think my boy Blakey is gonna pull a big sexy trade or is this going to be stetcher 2.0
I think it’ll be a small move if it’s a rental (more likely IMO) or if a bigger move it’ll be someone with term. Obviously pure guess work.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
CA. refugee<E. TN.

The tuebert pick sting more for me considering Erik Karlsson went 2 picks after.
1675951660346.png

• Wow
Reactions: Statto

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
I think it’ll be a small move if it’s a rental (more likely IMO) or if a bigger move it’ll be someone with term. Obviously pure guess work.
Bargain bin if he goes trade deadline.

If Blake goes for a larger trade it will be during the offseason. Such a shame we won't give Bjornfot a solid chance. Instead the position just goes to Edler.

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
Teubert for Penner brought some value back at least. If Hickey sticks, maybe they aren’t trading for Sekera?

Rob Blake- 3 years at Bowling Green
Mikey Anderson- 2 at Minnesota
Matt Roy- 3 at Michigan Tech
and finally, Sean Walker- 4 at Bowling Green

IF they don’t trade for a LD, this will be why- they couldn’t find one from college hockey. It just so happens that Cal has got some college too. As do Quick and Copley, fwiw

Just trying to make sense of things is all.

and why do all these third parties keep getting brought into these seemingly weird, unofficial roles? Turgeon/Hextall/Bergevin? Why do they need input from a third party? I’m going to start mailing copies of Lombardi’s resume to them.

Although, moving Spence at TDL might be something DL would do

OR MAYBE that’s why they were so hell bent on Clarke not having the first year burned off? He’s still box fresh!!!

OK I’m done
ps If we start mailing letters, McCabe gots some college

• Haha
Reactions: AbsentMojo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00