Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
So here’s a bit of Ziggy Palffy trivia..
in his last season the the NHL while playing for the Pens…
Zigmund Palffy assisted on Super Mario’s last career goal and Sid the Kid’s first..
Wild. This is tailor-made for the weird hockey trivia thread on the HOH board. I'm gonna post it there (but I'll give you credit).

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Quinton Byfield is a keeper. You can see from their management of his play that they're giving him every opportunity to take a spot. They did the same for Vilardi. To make it on the the big club roster, you have to show you belong when you have the chance. It took Vilardi quite a while to get there, but he's there now. Byfield is also getting there. Kupari is showing signs of becoming a regular bottom-six, speedy, physical center. Clarke is not quite ready, but needs marinating. The cream rises to the top, and these are so far the Kings top prospects.

Turcotte, to me, has not been able to show he belongs yet. Fagemo is also in the same boat. Another GM of another team might just make room for these prospects and let them work it out in the big leagues during a rebuild, but Blake is not going to do that. I understand that lots of people here want that to happen, but Blake has other plans.

I'm not saying that Blake isn't interested in developing players. I'm saying that that's not the primary focus. Developing several young prospects into legit NHL players is essential, but it's only a fraction of the puzzle for Blake. He really values having an AHL affiliate in Ontario. When possible, he wants the prospects they're doing their development under the eye of the organization's coaches. The tension is between spots on the big club and staying in the AHL. That's frustrating to watch for fans, but Blake's not going to create spots for the prospects automatically.

The one player for whom it's been a real issue is Jordan Spence, in my opinion. He's absolutely dominated at the AHL level, but because Blake can't seem to find a landing spot for Sean Walker, Spence sits in purgatory. I'm sure Spence must be frustrated.
That's fair, I just disagree. I just genuinely feel Blake DOES prioritize development, and he feels the way to accomplish that is to bring the players into the AHL so they can get team-specific training.

But because the team has a bigger priority of competing for the playoffs, they don't quite know how to navigate or reconcile the growth of the prospects for the next level without reducing their chance of making the playoffs.

Maybe we're saying the same thing in different ways.
Actually I thought it was the emoji for you and Bergevin
My HF emoji button got confiscated.
I am pretty worn out from trying to read your posts.
They are like a traffic accident at a traffic circle on the road to nowhere.

I say what I want, when I want and do not care what 95 percent of the posters here think.
Especially the ones acting like they could do a better job than Blake and Company.
It may not be this year but the Kings will be in the second round in the next few years and may even go further.
Regarding my terrible posts, feel free to ignore me. I understand it's hard for some people to keep up when their only contribution is to shitpost, troll, post poop emojis, and try to insult with third-grade metaphors.

I've not once said I could do a better job than Blake. I have issues with his decisions. Hence the reason for this message board. I do think there are executives out there who would do a better job than Blake. But being a GM is hard. I know I'm not cut for it. But just because I know he'd do a better job than me doesn't mean I am satisfied with the end product and the direction it's going.

Is the "So you think you can do a better job than Blake" the new "Oh, you don't like this team, then root for another one"? Just curious.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
That's fair, I just disagree. I just genuinely feel Blake DOES prioritize development, and he feels the way to accomplish that is to bring the players into the AHL so they can get team-specific training.

But because the team has a bigger priority of competing for the playoffs, they don't quite know how to navigate or reconcile the growth of the prospects for the next level without reducing their chance of making the playoffs.

Regarding my terrible posts, feel free to ignore me. I understand it's hard for some people to keep up when their only contribution is to shitpost, troll, post poop emojis, and try to insult with third-grade metaphors.

I've not once said I could do a better job than Blake. I have issues with his decisions. Hence the reason for this message board. I do think there are executives out there who would do a better job than Blake. But being a GM is hard. I know I'm not cut for it. But just because I know he'd do a better job than me doesn't mean I am satisfied with the end product and the direction it's going.

Is the "So you think you can do a better job than Blake" the new "Oh, you don't like this team, then root for another one"? Just curious.

Thank you but permission to ignore me, is hereby denied.
By having so many issues with so many of Blake's moves (and non moves) ALMOST DAILY, you have accidentally implied you could do a better job.
So thanks for clarifying you failed your GED.

Who is available right now and likely to accept the GM position, that you would push the panic button for, fire Blake and hire to take his place?

There must be at least one name or maybe more, that is your eternal sunshine after your consistent campaign of making it rain.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Thank you but permission to ignore me, is hereby denied.
Something you posted in another thread. I know you get busy gaslighting and trolling others...
I encourage all those who can't handle me as my authentic self or my debates, to ignore me or I will do it for you, if it is that obvious.
How much more obvious do I need to make it that I would be much happier not ever reading any of your nonsense?

By having so many issues with so may of Blake's moves (and non moves) ALMOST DAILY, you have accidentally implied you could do a better job.
So thanks for clarifying you failed your GED.

Who is available right now and likely to accept the GM position, that you would push the panic button for, fire Blake and hire to take his place?

There must be at least one name or maybe more, that is your eternal sunshine after your consistent campaign of making it rain.

I've made specific comments about Blake's job. I've also given him credit on plenty of moves. Just like you have gaslit others in the Clarke thread for "misunderstanding your intentions", you're jumping to conclusions about my criticisms and assume I think I can do a better job. You aren't interested in discussing things. You want to make the discussion experience miserable for anyone who dares not cheers for every move Blake has done.

I'm not going to derail the thread by suggesting who else would do a better job than Blake.

So congratulations on getting another ignore. I'm sure in short order you'll lose more than just your edit post button.

Reactions: tbrown33 and Piston

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Something you posted in another thread. I know you get busy gaslighting and trolling others...

How much more obvious do I need to make it that I would be much happier not ever reading any of your nonsense?

I've made specific comments about Blake's job. I've also given him credit on plenty of moves. Just like you have gaslit others in the Clarke thread for "misunderstanding your intentions", you're jumping to conclusions about my criticisms and assume I think I can do a better job. You aren't interested in discussing things. You want to make the discussion experience miserable for anyone who dares not cheers for every move Blake has done.

I'm not going to derail the thread by suggesting who else would do a better job than Blake.

So congratulations on getting another ignore. I'm sure in short order you'll lose more than just your edit post button.
gas·light
[ˈɡaslīt]

VERB
gaslighting (present participle)
  1. manipulate (someone) by psychological means into questioning their own sanity:
    "in the first episode, Karen Valentine is being gaslighted by her husband"
    We will reconsider your request for permission to ignore us.
    Pretty sure this is the correct thread to discuss specific names on who might replace Blake.
    What exactly do you mean by you are pretty sure I will lose more than my edit post?
    And for what?

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The more time goes on, the less inclined I am to believe the AHL is a true 'developmental' league. It's only like the 7th most talented league in the world and it's full of has-beens and never-was'.

Maybe as a 'finishing' league--great for pro systems, learning to protect yourself vs. men, strength/conditioning, learning the NA rink for Europeans.

Not for talent growth. If you have an offensive prospect you want to dominate and isn't coming straight to the league, just leave him in his OG environment until they age out.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
The more time goes on, the less inclined I am to believe the AHL is a true 'developmental' league. It's only like the 7th most talented league in the world and it's full of has-beens and never-was'.

Maybe as a 'finishing' league--great for pro systems, learning to protect yourself vs. men, strength/conditioning, learning the NA rink for Europeans.

Not for talent growth. If you have an offensive prospect you want to dominate and isn't coming straight to the league, just leave him in his OG environment until they age out.
Totally agree esp after seeing some 26 yr old hominid destroy Turcotte last season. Those buffoons have no reason to play properly since they arent going any further in their careers... not a good recipe for some top pick trying to learn the ropes... thrown to the wolves.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
For whatever reason I'm fairly confident we'll end up landing Chychrun and probably within the next 3 days or so.
Maybe his shot & passing were still off from the wrist surgery, but I'm not impressed with Chychrun's passing, shooting at all. Kaliyev has a more accurate shot on the PP. Then the price is a 1st + & I'm out.

Montreal press bloggers are speculating a pick and prospect for Edmundson. Pick needs to be a first or second depending on the prospect. Top prospect sounds like Spence, or Grans if it’s a first going the other way.

All signs point to Bergevin making his big splash as a part time contractor.
Did 2X 2nds for Regehr & felt like that was a lot for that type of D. He was a good fit & liked his game so price was fine. 1st +? Yikes.

If they had a goalie, it might make sense to pay a premium for someone at the deadline.
Cap circumvention and salary retention helped too...

The detail I think gets most frequently ignored in the remembering of the Cup winning Kings is that Carter and Richards were both acquired contracts that are no longer allowed because the league decided they circumvented the cap.

Pittsburgh acquired Phil Kessel while Toronto retained salary
Tampa used LTIR

I'm sure there's other examples I'm forgetting about
D. Keith had a contract with a bunch of years ending at 1 million. Chicago actually has a 5.5 & 1.9 million recapture penalty this year & next from Keith retiring a year early.

That guy that retired with the itching had a creative contract too.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
3.5 mil signed thru next year... not a rental. He's so stay at home, he gets all his food grubhub... but thats actually what we need on the left side in general since all the talent is right handed. Still 3.5 for bottom pair is sort of alot.
Eh is it? Do you think Durzi is better than Edmunson on the left side ? You aren’t getting edmunson for him to play on the third pair. You get him to give the rd freedom. Edmunson at 3.5 for a 2nd pair LD is good in my eyes. I don’t get it with you guys. No one wants to pay the piper for Chychrun but when a cheap option comes in he’s not good enough. Either you take the cheap option which is still an upgrade or you get Chychrun and he becomes our top LD. Which one do you guys want? Everyone cried about Stetcher and now the Kings are in on a second pair LD that’s mean and plays well in front of the net. Has more speed than Edler. Why are you being so picky

Edler has a no move clause
Maybe they can just scratch him instead since he’s not cutting it.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Eh is it? Do you think Durzi is better than Edmunson on the left side ? You aren’t getting edmunson for him to play on the third pair. You get him to give the rd freedom. Edmunson at 3.5 for a 2nd pair LD is good in my eyes. I don’t get it with you guys. No one wants to pay the piper for Chychrun but when a cheap option comes in he’s not good enough. Either you take the cheap option which is still an upgrade or you get Chychrun and he becomes our top LD. Which one do you guys want? Everyone cried about Stetcher and now the Kings are in on a second pair LD that’s mean and plays well in front of the net. Has more speed than Edler. Why are you being so picky
I was responding to you wanting to replace Edler with Edmunsun.. thats why I said he's a bit expensive for that role. Sure Id take him for 2nd pair LD if thats the best we can do and we want to make it happen now. But that implies a reshuffle that RB doesnt seem willing to do.. which is essentially eliminate Walker. But for my 2nd pair LD i wanted a solid 2way if paired w Roy.. If you want to pencil him in to replace Edler then it still leaves Durzi as 2nd pair LD.. not ideal. Edit: maybe to get through the season I could live w it.. Then figure out something like Edmunsun Durzi/Spence for next year 2nd pair, and some other LD (maybe Bjornfot but not ideal) + Durzi/Spence for 3rd pair

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I was responding to you wanting to replace Edler with Edmunsun.. thats why I said he's a bit expensive for that role. Sure Id take him for 2nd pair LD if thats the best we can do and we want to make it happen now. But that implies a reshuffle that RB doesnt seem willing to do.. which is essentially eliminate Walker. But for my 2nd pair LD i wanted a solid 2way if paired w Roy.. If you want to pencil him in to replace Edler then it still leaves Durzi as 2nd pair LD.. not ideal.
Here’s how I see it, if it’s crunch time in a game. PK, last minute.. top unit goes to rest…do you see how bad of an idea it is to not fill up Durzis spot? Let Durzi get reshuffled. I’d rather have a defensive dman on the PK on the left side rather than have Durzi out there on his offwing as an offensive dman

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Here’s how I see it, if it’s crunch time in a game. PK, last minute.. top unit goes to rest…do you see how bad of an idea it is to not fill up Durzis spot? Let Durzi get reshuffled. I’d rather have a defensive dman on the PK on the left side rather than have Durzi out there on his offwing as an offensive dman
Agree.. getting Durzi off the PK would be plus. Getting Durzi less minutes overall 5x5 would also be a plus. Getting a strong left handed stay at home is an area of need overall. I think it would help... need a little cap room I think to make it happen (maybe about 750k).

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Agree.. getting Durzi off the PK would be plus. Getting Durzi less minutes overall 5x5 would also be a plus. Getting a strong left handed stay at home is an area of need overall. I think it would help... need a little cap room I think to make it happen (maybe about 750k).
That’s why I think the Kings should make a deal regardless for an LD. Getting a decent LD would get Durzi off the left side. That’s a huge win. Two birds with one stone.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
That’s why I think the Kings should make a deal regardless for an LD. Getting a decent LD would get Durzi off the left side. That’s a huge win. Two birds with one stone.
That implies Edler staying as 3LD then, Durzi as 2RD, Roy down to 3RD and Walker 7D right? Just knowing how Koala thinks, I dont see him moving a vet like Roy down to the 3rd pair and Walker scratched.. but of course id fine with that.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah if they trade Spence in ANY form for Edmundson I am immediately done with this regime

Edmundson is an Edler replacement, not a 2nd pairing solution.

With how many LHD are reportedly available paying a premium for Edmundson seems foolish. Someone mentined the Regehr price and that's as far as I would go.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan

For guys who are coming from major junior it’s fine, I think a prospect is better in the AHL than an overage year in the CHL.

But it’s not a good league for most teenagers, maybe for a high end European who is really close to making the league and has pro experience already. For a guy like Turcotte it was just about as bad a development setting as you could have asked for. He was not good enough as a freshman to make the jump talent wise and needed to gain confidence and he was not developed enough physically to play the type of game he plays. To this day I am absolutely shocked the Kings decided to pull him, especially with the proven history of guys turning out well after 2 seasons in the NCAA.

A guy like Laferrierre who will be 22 next season and has had a really nice sophomore season is a different situation. I would be fine with the Kings putting him on the Reign next season, although it would be totally fine if he decides to stay at Harvard another year.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
For guys who are coming from major junior it’s fine, I think a prospect is better in the AHL than an overage year in the CHL.

But it’s not a good league for most teenagers, maybe for a high end European who is really close to making the league and has pro experience already. For a guy like Turcotte it was just about as bad a development setting as you could have asked for. He was not good enough as a freshman to make the jump talent wise and needed to gain confidence and he was not developed enough physically to play the type of game he plays. To this day I am absolutely shocked the Kings decided to pull him, especially with the proven history of guys turning out well after 2 seasons in the NCAA.

A guy like Laferrierre who will be 22 next season and has had a really nice sophomore season is a different situation. I would be fine with the Kings putting him on the Reign next season, although it would be totally fine if he decides to stay at Harvard another year.

Absolutely agree.

I think it's good situationally, but certainly not 'one size fits all' as the Kings have been wont to do.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Yeah if they trade Spence in ANY form for Edmundson I am immediately done with this regime

Edmundson is an Edler replacement, not a 2nd pairing solution.

With how many LHD are reportedly available paying a premium for Edmundson seems foolish. Someone mentined the Regehr price and that's as far as I would go.
This is more like an Edler replacement (rental) couldve been had for a 4th Kraken acquire defenseman Jaycob Megna from Sharks

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
True which means he cant even be waived (edit: he can if he gives permission)... its pressbox or ice for grey beard
I have no problem with him meeting the press box. He has not been the same since returning from injury and I get very tired of his weak ass wristers in on opposition goalies to kill momentum time after time after time.

This is only his second year here and is at the end of his career. Perfect number 7 guy that is cheap, provides size and veteran leadership. Can play every couple games. The guy has had a fantastic career but we missed the best by date.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Absolutely.

You know, if this came up even 6 or 7 years ago, I'd call people crazy. The AHL is a lot different than it was back then and the shift has been continuing. I don't go to a ton of games, but the play seems sloppier, more like a free-for-all for players to get noticed rather than actually playing as a team.

Honestly, I always thought it was a stupid rule that it was juniors or the NHL for guys under 20, but the last few years I've come around a bit to why that might be. I'm still sure most of it is about money, that's just the way of things.

I think with the Kings they are really into the AHL because they are so close. All those years it was cross country, so they didn't have a lot of luxuries. Maybe it's just making up for lost time and the luster will wear off.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Without weighing in on the veracity of the argument one way or the other...

It's not just 5 teams it's 11 championships spread out over 13 seasons

3 for Pittsburgh
3 for Chicago
2 for the Kings
2 for Tampa Bay
1 for Washington

It may not be the way to do it moving forward but it worked for those teams in the immediacy of the New Cap Era of the NHL (starting in 2005-06)
Yes, all those teams had their runs in a very short period. It's highly efficient if you can pull it off, but a lot of things need to fall into place. It's simply a really high expectation to have of any team.

There are plenty of valid reasons to criticize Blake, but when I think about how successful he is I feel he should be compared to other current GM's rather than compared to our personal expectations. I just think we got spoiled with how things fell exactly into place for DL, and as fans we are so itching to get back there that we don't realize just how rare and special that was. I don't really understand the Blake bashing by some because he's certainly done more good things than bad, which is above average for a GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki