Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Thanks. Goaltending is my thing. I have played it for a long time and keep tabs on all goalies in the NHL.
Good for you.
I will give you credit here unlike some of the good old boys trying to hoist their ego up the flagpole.
Are you a woman, I thought your name was like Sherrie are something.
No difference to me, just curious.
Get em Sher!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Good for you.
I will give you credit here unlike some of the good old boys trying to hoist their ego up the flagpole.
Are you a woman, I thought your name was like Sherrie are something.
No difference to me, just curious.
Get em Sher!
Nope, not a female. :huh:
SherVaughn is combined goalie manufacturer names. Brodeur used both Sherwood and Vaughn goalie equipment his final years. I had his pro spec set for Sherwood's.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Pump the brakes on the praise, please. I just try to give insight on goaltending from experience and sort of being a student for the position. I'm no expert by any means.
This board is full of experts! Don't worry...everybody has "misses" even though they've convinced themselves they're right and will write a thesis to make it sound real.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Pump the brakes on the praise, please. I just try to give insight on goaltending from experience and sort of being a student for the position. I'm no expert by any means.
But you‘ll see little things that others won’t like how the goaltender stands up from the butterfly position, do they favour one side or is it even? How they push east/west in terms of body position etc. At one point I was getting taught how to scout goalies by a former scout/goalie but for various reasons I had to step away from the team. I learned a huge amount in a short time but it’s my one bit of unfinished business in the game, I really wished I had more time to do it. It’s the one area didn’t get into as much as I wanted.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
But you‘ll see little things that others won’t like how the goaltender stands up from the butterfly position, do they favour one side or is it even? How they push east/west in terms of body position etc. At one point I was getting taught how to scout goalies by a former scout/goalie but for various reasons I had to step away from the team. I learned a huge amount in a short time but it’s my one bit of unfinished business in the game, I really wished I had more time to do it. It’s the one area didn’t get into as much as I wanted.
So did you happen to scout/coach at certain level of hockey?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
So did you happen to scout/coach at certain level of hockey?
I was part of the back room team (advanced stats analysis- before it was called that) at European elite level, then at lower pro and semi/pro levels as the local team hit financial issues. Whilst I have qualifications I wasn’t a coach - more of a coaching assistant. Used to call face-off matchups, power play switch ups that kinda thing during games but most of it was behind the scenes.

I was starting to do the scouting bit, taught by an experienced ex goalie friend, but I needed to step away - that’s a whole other story.

Last edited:

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
The Athletic preseason projections:

E66AD7FB-4398-4A55-AF23-E95A33533D94.jpeg

I actually pay for this? Looks more like Sol’s projections.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
It looks like Gavrikov was terribly underrated given that he was playing a role he was unsuited for on a terrible team. The guy is a stud and look how much better the Kings have looked since he's been inserted in the lineup. It is essential that he be resigned as the Kings don't have anyone in the system that can replace him.

Totally agreed- they lock him up and you have a great top 4 with extra pieces.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Fun fact: Gavrikov has as many points in 6 games as Chychrun has in 7 games.

Ottawa is 3-4 since acquiring Chychrun. LA is 5-0-1.

Just something to consider next time some want to pursue the biggest name to address a position of need. It's all about role, too.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

Just something to consider next time some want to pursue the biggest name to address a position of need. It's all about role, too.
I thought they could have used both types. A Gavrikov to pair with Durzi and a Chychrun to pair with Roy.
Gavrikov is roaming a good bit cause he knows Roy can hold it down so its been nice that he can contribute offensively.
I think he looks better than Mccabe does also so I am happy with the choice.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I thought they could have used both types. A Gavrikov to pair with Durzi and a Chychrun to pair with Roy.
Gavrikov is roaming a good bit cause he knows Roy can hold it down so its been nice that he can contribute offensively.
I think he looks better than Mccabe does also so I am happy with the choice.
Maybe I'm being pedantic, but Chychrun has a use, so, sure, the Kings could have used him.

But the Kings already have Durzi, Clarke, Spence, and Walker as offensive defensemen.

They also have Kopitar, Fiala, Kempe, Arvidsson, Vilardi, Kaliyev, and several other offensively-skilled forwards.

The Kings don't have an offensively-gifted LHD, but they had plenty of offense.

There simply comes a time when "outscoring your problems" involves simply giving yourself fewer problems to outscore.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016

Every casual "media" "personality" that "covers" the Kings and has been publicly sobbing about a lack of Chychrun trade for almost two years now owes every other Kings fan a public apology for whipping them up into a needless frenzy.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Gavrikov was a better immediate fit for sure, JC would have been a better long-term fit with the age of the Kings best players and his contract terms. The Kings could very well be in a position where they are either forced to give Gabrikov big money and more concerning, big term to go along with it.

I just have a tough time getting behind 7-8 year deals for players who will be 28 years old. We should all have seen first hand what happens to players as they leave their prime.

“Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Gavrikov was a better immediate fit for sure, JC would have been a better long-term fit with the age of the Kings best players and his contract terms. The Kings could very well be in a position where they are either forced to give Gabrikov big money and more concerning, big term to go along with it.

I just have a tough time getting behind 7-8 year deals for players who will be 28 years old. We should all have seen first hand what happens to players as they leave their prime.

I don't disagree, but I think a big part of "winning now" is knowing that we won't be winning in 5-6 years, so who really cares.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I don't know how all of: Vilardi, Korpisalo, Gavrikov can be signed.
I bet if Blake knew Korpisalo and Gavrikov were both able to be acquired, he
would have told Moore's agent to wait until after the season. His 4 and Iafallo's 4
as middle 6's, will make it hard to get deals done for those 3...and yes, Cal's is the worst.
Moving Walker will not be enough, it seems. Who would take Arvy? Would probably piss of
Phil, but we have seen this is a business.

If Gabe makes it to apx 27 goals, Gavrikov plays like he has and Korpisalo takes over #1,
all will be paid; and if the Kings win 1-3 rounds and they are all key in that as well.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007

I think 7-8 year deals CAN be bad, but not always. For instance, a player relying on speed and athleticism who will be in their mid-30's is going to be a worse signing than someone who relies on positioning and intelligence.

Also, the term is less worrisome when the cap number isn't as high. A 7-8 year deal for a guy who only counts $4 million against the cap is less worrisome than someone who counts $11 million against the cap.

If you can get Gavrikov at 7 or 8 years for something like $6 million, that seems a lot less upsetting, no? However, I have ZERO idea what the market will be for him so it's all relative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad