Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The GDT as you say changes with every tick of the clock. By its nature it’s hyperbole, straw-man, bipolar and crazy opinion all wrapped up. It’s never an objective assessment of anything. It’s just moment by moment reactions to events. I tend to read them the next day just to see what dumb ass comments get made, in either direction. You really have to pick out the proper posts that act provide decent information.

Absolutely, but I can't imagine not having the constraint to bitch about a singular moment during a fast paced game......

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
So I wanted to do a bit of forecasting on what next year's roster could look like. Who knows what will happen between now and next year, and a lot of it is probably wishful thinking, but that's kind of my thing.

Kempe - Kopitar - Kaliyev
Fiala - Byfield - Vilardi
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Iafallo - Lizotte - Kupari
JAD, Fagemo

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke/Spence
Bjornfot - Roy

Korpisalo
Copley

This involved some key signings:
- Gavrikov, 8 years, $4,500,000
- Vilardi, 3 years, $4,500,000
- Korpisalo, 3 years, $3,000,000
- Kupari, 1 year, $1,000,000
- Bjornfot, 1 year, $850,000
- JAD, 1 year, $775,000

And some key trades:
- Petersen and LA's 1st in 2024 to Arizona for a 7th
- Durzi to Montreal for Colorado's 2nd in 2024
- Walker to Buffalo for a 5th

And some guys on waivers:
- Grundstrom, Madden, Thomas, and Villalta.

The big question mark here is whether Kaliyev can play top six minutes or not. I think it's going to be a big offseason for him. I'd love to see Byfield back at center next year and playing with Fiala and Vilardi will be a great place to do just that. These guys aren't kids anymore, it's time to give them the minutes they need to succeed.

What's interesting about this lineup is that we get to keep Iafallo and Lizotte on the fourth line (with Kupari, Kaliyev, Fagemo, whoever really). That depth is going to be really, really important. I think Gavrikov would be a great partner for Clarke (or Spence) too.

Sorry for the wall of text!
Not sure why Blake would pay Vilardi $4.5M per season right now. He's making league minimum now. He's a restricted free agent, so the Kings have the leverage. Even if he went to arbitration he wouldn't get $4.5M with just one good season under his belt.

I know everyone loves Gavrikov right now, but that's a lot of years.

Otherwise I like it a lot.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Not sure why Blake would pay Vilardi $4.5M per season right now. He's making league minimum now. He's a restricted free agent, so the Kings have the leverage. Even if he went to arbitration he wouldn't get $4.5M with just one good season under his belt.

I know everyone loves Gavrikov right now, but that's a lot of years.

Otherwise I like it a lot.

For sure, I felt the least confident in the Gavrikov and Vilardi signings. Kempe signed a 3-year, $2 million deal in 2019 at age 22. Maybe a 3-year, $3 million deal for Vilardi would make more sense? Either way, I wanted to give what I felt was the max salary each guy could receive.

As for Gavrikov's years... if it was six instead of eight, is that more reasonable? I don't really mind either way, that's above my paygrade.

Reactions: lumbergh

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
I think Gabe could sign a two year bridge, a three year deal and he would be a UFA after.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that one.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Absolutely, but I can't imagine not having the constraint to bitch about a singular moment during a fast paced game......
Hey me too, but it is what it is. Hence I rarely get too upset with the comments in the GDT posted whilst the game is ongoing.

I remember doing a marketing course many years ago pre internet. Statistically then if something good happens you’d tell 3 people, if something bad happened you’d tell 7.

Obviously those numbers are meaningless in todays world, but the main point stands. People love to bitch and complain. Even if we win the cup there will still be people complaining at time outs not being used (with some justification), so probably need to start meditating or something ;):banghead:

Reactions: David Lunch

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Hey me too, but it is what it is. Hence I rarely get too upset with the comments in the GDT posted whilst the game is ongoing.

I remember doing a marketing course many years ago pre internet. Statistically then if something good happens you’d tell 3 people, if something bad happened you’d tell 7.

Obviously those numbers are meaningless in todays world, but the main point stands. People love to bitch and complain. Even if we win the cup there will still be people complaining at time outs not being used (with some justification), so probably need to start meditating or something ;):banghead:

That's one way to get me committed.........me start meditating, people would be looking at me like I grew a 2nd freaking head......

• Haha
Reactions: Statto

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Bye, Todd!

Attachments

• 309B7F45-EFB0-43CF-9E0B-981B98078F53.jpeg
    309B7F45-EFB0-43CF-9E0B-981B98078F53.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
When youve only got one tool in the toolbox this is the daily go to....for some its Sudoku and others Wordle. For AXL its the silent cry for help via the NHL coaching carousel.

If it helps you out any....I acknowledge your existence.
You guys are the ones that keep teeing it up. I'll bite!

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I don't think that's a good thing.

I would have preferred a Dallas regulation loss

Depends on what we want, really.

More Kraken wins means they are likely our first-round opponent, but chances increase we are on the road.

More Kraken losses means certainty of home ice, but with Edmonton more likely.

Pick your poison!

If Vegas keeps winning and divisional hopes are dashed you are right, we probably want the Kraken to win. Right now the most likely scenario (37%) is Kings at home vs. Kraken, followed by Home vs. Edmonton (31%).

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Depends on what we want, really.

More Kraken wins means they are likely our first-round opponent, but chances increase we are on the road.

More Kraken losses means certainty of home ice, but with Edmonton more likely.

Pick your poison!

If Vegas keeps winning and divisional hopes are dashed you are right, we probably want the Kraken to win. Right now the most likely scenario (37%) is Kings at home vs. Kraken, followed by Home vs. Edmonton (31%).
I want the Kings to be the #1 seed in the conference.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I want the Kings to be the #1 seed in the conference.

That would be wonderful, but a tall order. Probably 109 points or so, only could lose 2 games down the stretch. The reward might be Edmonton, which I wouldn't really care for.

Would be a boon if the team goes deeper into the playoffs for sure.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Minnesota's second in the Central division and 5 points ahead of Winnipeg for WC2 spot. What makes you think the Kings would play Minnesota first? Looks like WC2 will be more of a battle between Nashville and Winnipeg.
I'll tell you what makes me think that: I haven't looked at the Central standings since they were in a wild card spot, apparently ages ago.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'll tell you what makes me think that: I haven't looked at the Central standings since they were in a wild card spot, apparently ages ago.
You know... I don't blame you.

I actually very rarely check out the standings myself. I just had to check to see what the likelihood of playing Minnesota is.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Yeah I have my preferences of who'd I'd like to match up against, but honestly you just have to trust the team you have. We've played well since the all star break, all the lines seemed to have settled, with a few injuries here and there, and the goaltending has settled down. Powerplay has slowed down of late, but still plenty of time for it to fix itself.

I don't have to be happy about the player selection regarding Spence, Bjornfot and Kaliyev, but they are still keeping up with everyone in the division which is a good sign.

But ultimately results in the playoffs matter the most, and if it's another 1st round exit then it becomes a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad