Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
You kinda should move one or the other to make space for Clarke. Bringing Clarke into the lineup is more important than what happens to either Doughty or Roy. So if I had to choose, it’d be Doughty that gets moved. He’s at the age where his next season can be atrocious and he hasn’t even looked that good at all this year.

I agree that room needs to be made for Clarke. I would just move everyone else besides those two to do it. Doughty is having one of his better seasons in some time, his metrics are great this year against absolute top competition, and he's probably going to break 50 points.

It comes down to whether or not you think he's going to fall off a cliff, I just don't see that happening. Only 3 D-men this year have positive metrics across the board. Doughty, Anderson, and Roy. I simply don't mess with it.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Rumors of Tyler Kleven not signing with the Sens. I Wonder if Blake tries to work more magic with collegiate free agents, he'd be a great addition to the pool as a big rugged LHD.
Makes some sense after the Chychrun trade, they’ve got Chabot, Chychrun, and Sanderson on the left side (or at least left handed) for the foreseeable future, not to mention Holden and Brannstrom with contracts.

Reactions: Herby and JTeller97

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Rumors of Tyler Kleven not signing with the Sens. I Wonder if Blake tries to work more magic with collegiate free agents, he'd be a great addition to the pool as a big rugged LHD.
He is still a full year from UFA status, and I don’t really see it getting to that point with him.

He does look to be an ideal 3rd pair guy in the making though. Would be a nice get.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Don’t you dare tease me. I banged the drum hard for him at the draft. I would love that to come to fruition and him sign with kings in 15 months.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Fans are wanting an small Smurf defense of Clarke, Doughty, Anderson, Durzi and Spence.

Watching the Oilers and they have Nurse, Kane, Kostin, Bjugstad, Desharnais - we are screwed. These are big players - both at D and forward and they play tough unlike Edler or Gavrikov.
Clarke is 6’2 and his listed weight will be way out of date. As he fills out and his msn strength comes in he will be fine. He has never played soft to this point.

Absolutely I’d be happy adding more blue line physicality as long as the can play.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
I love it but also hearing he will be expecting to sign.

Ottawa took the same approach with Pinto. If we get this guy that's a huge coup.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
agreed about arvidsson and iafallo but i can't see vilardi pulling 5-6. kempe only pulled 5.5 for 4yrs as a more proven product. gabe's got a killer shot but he's shooting nearly 20% right now, that's gonna come back down to earth. i'd be ecstatic if they could lock him up for maybe 5-6 years at say, 4.5-5M though. probably wouldn't hurt too bad if the cap goes up as expected
It will be a tough sell to Villardi to get the same salary as Iafallo.
Sure it would be extremely great for the organization but i guess Villardi's first question would be "Why?"

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
It will be a tough sell to Villardi to get the same salary as Iafallo.
Sure it would be extremely great for the organization but i guess Villardi's first question would be "Why?"
Vilardi can't drive play like Fiala. Kempe has a bigger impact than Vilardi right now. If Vilardi wants term, at or below Kempe. If he wants a bridge deal, Iafallo money.

Vilardi just hasn't established himself yet. What is he? A depth guy that can chip in or someone that can drive play? That hasn't been determined yet. Probably cheap bridge deal & bets on himself making a bigger impact next year.

Reactions: David Lunch

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
Vilardi can't drive play like Fiala. Kempe has a bigger impact than Vilardi right now. If Vilardi wants term, at or below Kempe. If he wants a bridge deal, Iafallo money.

Vilardi just hasn't established himself yet.
I wholeheartedly agree that Gabe's contract should be reasonable, and AI and AK are decent comps depending on term.

But I think saying he "can't drive play" or "hasn't established himself yet" is a bit over the top. The guy gets 3rd line minutes (he's directly above Lizotte in ATOI), limited PP time, is never on the ice for any 4-4 or 3-3. Yet his OPS is 4th among forwards after both AKs and KF, and DPS is 3rd, after both AKs, the elder of whom is among the top defensive forwards of his era.

He's also scoring at a 55-point pace, despite the situational handcuffs placed on him at times. I think "like Fiala" is a tough standard to hold someone to. And Fiala didn't break out until he was 23 (Gabe's age). The year before he scored 39 points in 83 games.

I think it's clear enough GV does drive play. Next year, it's imperative we give him and Fiala a different center than Lizotte, or even hand Gabe the keys to his own line. I think a line of Grundy/Arty--Kupari--Vilardi could absolutely keep up at worst and maybe even do some damage next year.

I think he's established himself as a top-six forward. He's also a homegrown prospect (who persevered through tremendous adversity), plays with both a smile on his face and a chip on his shoulder. We haven't had a winger with his size and hands since Carter. Let's build around him.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

Vilardi just hasn't established himself yet. What is he? A depth guy that can chip in or someone that can drive play? That hasn't been determined yet. Probably cheap bridge deal & bets on himself making a bigger impact next year.
A depth guy with more goals than Marchand or Kadri all while playing 3rd and 4th line minutes passing to guys like Blake Lizotte.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Play driver or line driver has become an overused cliche to either overhype or undersell someone. First heard it said on this board when it was used to prop up Turcotte and downplay players from his draft year who supposedly weren’t . Never really got it then, and really don’t now.

Vilardi has provided a ton of value to the Kings this season, so I don’t really understand what it even means that he isn’t a play driver. Is it because he’s not carrying the puck all around the offensive zone (while in many cases accomplishing nothing)? Some of the guys who do that can’t finish the process as well as Vilardi and that is why you need finishers. Is Blake Lizotte a better play driver than Gabe Vilardi? Who has been a better player for the Kings this season?

Reactions: ibleedkings

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I want Carl Grundstrom to play a full 82 game season while averaging at least 11 minutes of ice-time.
Grundstrom was terrible in the first half of the season before he got injured. Everyone thought he would take strides after that great playoff round against Edmonton. Really like him with Kupari and Kaliyev. Who sits when Fiala is back? Tough decisions coming.

Interesting to me that a lot of players consider him one of the best shooters on the team.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
I wholeheartedly agree that Gabe's contract should be reasonable, and AI and AK are decent comps depending on term.

But I think saying he "can't drive play" or "hasn't established himself yet" is a bit over the top. The guy gets 3rd line minutes (he's directly above Lizotte in ATOI), limited PP time, is never on the ice for any 4-4 or 3-3. Yet his OPS is 4th among forwards after both AKs and KF, and DPS is 3rd, after both AKs, the elder of whom is among the top defensive forwards of his era.

He's also scoring at a 55-point pace, despite the situational handcuffs placed on him at times. I think "like Fiala" is a tough standard to hold someone to. And Fiala didn't break out until he was 23 (Gabe's age). The year before he scored 39 points in 83 games.

I think it's clear enough GV does drive play. Next year, it's imperative we give him and Fiala a different center than Lizotte, or even hand Gabe the keys to his own line. I think a line of Grundy/Arty--Kupari--Vilardi could absolutely keep up at worst and maybe even do some damage next year.

I think he's established himself as a top-six forward. He's also a homegrown prospect (who persevered through tremendous adversity), plays with both a smile on his face and a chip on his shoulder. We haven't had a winger with his size and hands since Carter. Let's build around him.
Not getting ice time 4V4 & 3V3 or PK is the point. His game hasn't progressed to where he is trusted with those responsibilities. Kempe you can throw out in any situation. Guess Fiala doesn't get much PK time.

Fiala is a tough standard to hold someone to & Fiala got paid after he broke out. I'm a fan of Vilardi, but if people are talking about re-signing him to Fiala money, I want more out of him.

Vilardi can score, his board work is improving which helps in the D-zone. Did have a nice pass to clear the D zone last night. Maybe I'm just hard on him because he's never going to skate through center ice like a Fiala or Kempe. He is going to be dependent on someone else to get through the neutral zone. That's fine. At the same time I'm against paying kids 8M that don't have a rounded out game. Can Vilardi get there? Sure. Is he there now? Nope. Still want Vilardi to succeed.

A depth guy with more goals than Marchand or Kadri all while playing 3rd and 4th line minutes passing to guys like Blake Lizotte.
😂 Good thing Blake never got Vilardi a center or we'd never be able to re-sign Vilardi.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

If Villardi wouldn't be hurt he would be a 30+ goal scoring winger playing 3rd line minutes.
I highly doubt this is a depth guy.

An offer around 4 mill would be insulting

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Play driver or line driver has become an overused cliche to either overhype or undersell someone. First heard it said on this board when it was used to prop up Turcotte and downplay players from his draft year who supposedly weren’t . Never really got it then, and really don’t now.

Vilardi has provided a ton of value to the Kings this season, so I don’t really understand what it even means that he isn’t a play driver. Is it because he’s not carrying the puck all around the offensive zone (while in many cases accomplishing nothing)? Some of the guys who do that can’t finish the process as well as Vilardi and that is why you need finishers. Is Blake Lizotte a better play driver than Gabe Vilardi? Who has been a better player for the Kings this season?
Not sure how something is overused or cliche if you don't understand it. Although I think that those saying Vilardi isn't a play driver either don't watch Vilardi or understand the term.

And that was me who used it to describe Turcotte's game versus Caufield.

Players like Kempe and Caufield just don't normally function as play drivers. They benefit from linemates doing the majority of the heavy work. They don't regularly retrieve/recover pucks. They don't create space for others regularly to make additional players threats on the ice.

Caufield and Kempe, by and large, rely on their shot to be dangerous. If running out of room, they'll take a shot they hope to finish the play for them. To most, it's low percentage. To them, slightly higher due to their release point and technique. But by and large, it ends the play, for better or worse.

Caufield is a talented player who, with what I've seen, benefits from Suzuki, who is the engine of that line. It doesn't mean he's a bad player. It's just not the type of player I'd want the Kings to take with a top-5 pick. Especially with his limited growth potential (as far as bringing other tools to the game - not a statement on size).

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
Grundstrom was terrible in the first half of the season before he got injured. Everyone thought he would take strides after that great playoff round against Edmonton. Really like him with Kupari and Kaliyev. Who sits when Fiala is back? Tough decisions coming.

Interesting to me that a lot of players consider him one of the best shooters on the team.

It should be Iafallo, but Todd will probably take Kaliev or Grundstrom out instead.

Reactions: ibleedkings

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
It should be Iafallo, but Todd will probably take Kaliev or Grundstrom out instead.
It's a shame b/c Kaliyev should be given the same chance to shine as Byfield imo. I know Byfield has been good there but he will eventually move to C anyway.

Kempe - Kopitar - Kaliyev
Fiala - Byfield - Vilardi
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Iafallo/Grundstrom - Lizotte - Kupari

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Assuming Vilardi ends the year basically like he's been for the year, he's getting at least $5m. His career average, even with the ups and downs, is at 22g and 42pts per 82 games. This year, paced for 30g and 55pts/82 games. Average the two out, it's 26g and 49pts/82. He'll be 24 by next season. Buying UFA years, it's easily at least $5m.

Then it's figuring out how to fit that in, who has to go, and hoping he keeps producing to justify the investment. Any potential playoff success this year will obviously factor in as well.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
It's a shame b/c Kaliyev should be given the same chance to shine as Byfield imo. I know Byfield has been good there but he will eventually move to C anyway.

Kempe - Kopitar - Kaliyev
Fiala - Byfield - Vilardi
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Iafallo/Grundstrom - Lizotte - Kupari
that's a $15M 3rd line next season, ain't gonna happen

i feel like we're looking at the current forward lineup playing next season as well barring injuries. some decisions to be made when kopitar and arvidsson's contracts are up but yeah. ain't a meritocracy around here..

Reactions: lumbergh

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
that's a $15M 3rd line next season, ain't gonna happen

i feel like we're looking at the current forward lineup playing next season as well barring injuries. some decisions to be made when kopitar and arvidsson's contracts are up but yeah. ain't a meritocracy around here..

That's fine call them the 3rd line or 2a/2b and same ice time, whatever. Petersen is a $5m goalie and yet he's in the A; salary shouldn't stop you from icing the best possible team

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Not sure how something is overused or cliche if you don't understand it. Although I think that those saying Vilardi isn't a play driver either don't watch Vilardi or understand the term.

And that was me who used it to describe Turcotte's game versus Caufield.

Players like Kempe and Caufield just don't normally function as play drivers. They benefit from linemates doing the majority of the heavy work. They don't regularly retrieve/recover pucks. They don't create space for others regularly to make additional players threats on the ice.

Caufield and Kempe, by and large, rely on their shot to be dangerous. If running out of room, they'll take a shot they hope to finish the play for them. To most, it's low percentage. To them, slightly higher due to their release point and technique. But by and large, it ends the play, for better or worse.

Caufield is a talented player who, with what I've seen, benefits from Suzuki, who is the engine of that line. It doesn't mean he's a bad player. It's just not the type of player I'd want the Kings to take with a top-5 pick. Especially with his limited growth potential (as far as bringing other tools to the game - not a statement on size).
I understand what it is. I just don’t think it’s as big a deal or makes a player that much more valuable vs someone who is more of a finisher, like Caufield or Vilardi. I think it’s comparable to other sports, like in baseball who is more valuable the guy who hits .300 or the guy who hits 40 home runs, or in football who is more valuable the wr who moves the chains or the one who makes the big plays. Not saying a .300 hitter or a possession wr is not valuable, but these guys have limitations too. Unless they have the skill to do those things and also score at a prolific rate, of which those players are rare. If a guy wins board battles or possesses the puck in the offensive zone but it doesn’t translate to more offense for themselves and in many cases their teammates is that more valuable than guys like Caufield, Vilardi, Boldy, Zegras etc who were all criticized for not being “line drivers”. Nick Suzuki is a great player, he reminds me a lot of a young Mike Richards, but he benefits from playing with someone with Caufield’s combination of elite offensive zone IQ and world class shooting skills just as Caufield benefits from someone who does it all like Suzuki. It’s all about complimenting each other.

I just think we often fall back to the line driver thing, either to minimize someone who is usually a big offensive difference maker (which Vilardi has been this season) or to overhype someone who isn’t really doing much offensively. Turcotte does many things well on a hockey rink, but his inability to be an offensive player at any level above the USHL kind of negates his “line driving” because a line driver who is an offensive black hole is just Blake Lizotte, and that is a player you took very high in the draft, passing over some players who aren’t line drivers, but are quite clearly more valuable assets. (Zegras, Caufield, Kaliyev, Boldy).

And switching to another topic, everyone mentions whatever line Danault is on is the 2nd line, but it seems to me you can interchange the Kings top 9.

Is your 1-2-3 lines just defined by who the C is, or do you factor in the wingers. Fiala and Vilardi as a duo have been better players this season than Arvy/Moore and Kempe/QB, but obviously Liz as the C kind of drives that line down, especially in comparison to AK. But I think you can easily make a case that the “3rd line” which features our leading scored and our 3rd best goal scorer is a better line than our “2nd line” It’s kind of splitting hairs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad