Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Vilardi goes games without a goal. Even though he is at the 20 goal mark, he is pretty inconsistent still.
And Kempe has had two stretches recently where he was scoreless in 7 games and had 1 goal in 11 games.

You really only get consistent goal scoring from McDavids, Ovechkins, etc. And even they get cold streaks.

So, you're not wrong, but we're really reaching for criticisms if we're holding something which plagues 99% of the league against Vilardi.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Ye
Vilardi goes games without a goal. Even though he is at the 20 goal mark, he is pretty inconsistent still.
Yeah, no he isn’t …
Kid tore it up out of the gate then got hurt, took him a bit of time to get back up to speed and was playing well then Fiala is out ..

Add in the fact that he’s still impactful even when he’s not scoring and I just can’t see any validity to your statement

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
And Kempe has had two stretches recently where he was scoreless in 7 games and had 1 goal in 11 games.

You really only get consistent goal scoring from McDavids, Ovechkins, etc. And even they get cold streaks.

So, you're not wrong, but we're really reaching for criticisms if we're holding something which plagues 99% of the league against Vilardi.
It’s not “holding anything against him”

It’s just pointing out that “on pace” arguments usually don’t factor in the various hot/cold spells, and generally don’t work out in the end.

Gabe is going to be hovering around the 4-6m dollar mark regardless, and I’m just glad he got his back sorted enough to become the effective winger that he has.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Vilardi has already given the Kings this season at a total bargain rate for what he has produced, that coupled with his injury history would make it very likely he would be looking for some kind of longer term deal. He has yet to make really big money in the NHL and has battled significant injuries that could flare up again at any time. Bridge deals aren’t as prevalent as they used to be in the NHL.

Vilardi would really be betting on himself, and there could be a situations where his offense could fall due to things really not in his control (playing with lesser linemates, especially not Fiala, less #1 PP time if QB of Kaliyev took big steps next season.
But that is true of almost every 2nd/3rd line scorer, heck even some of the higher end guys on 1st lines. Go check out the Caufield thread on the prospects board and people who were convinced he was a flash in the pan based on a cold streak last season. If Vilardi played at his peak level consistently you are looking at a $7-$8m player and not a $4m one. But very few non star scorers do.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bland

Jul 1, 2004
If I'm Vilardi, and the Kings want to lock me up long term, I wouldn't take less than 6M.

A bridge deal might make the most sense, since a long term deal could be too risky for LA.

Ideally I'd like to see Durzi moved as well. But moving guys without taking back cap is hard. Walker + Iafallo + Durzi = 8.3M in cap.

Anderson-Doughty
Bjornfot-Roy
Gavrikov-Clarke
Spence

Korpisalo
Copely

That's what I'd like to see next year on the backend.

I really want to see Bjornfot back with Doughty so Anderson can pair with Clarke. I'd keep Durzi as the 7th defenseman, and unfortunately that leaves Spence, whom I have been crazy about since Moncton, as potential trade bait. Not happy about that, but unless they slow play Clarke in Ontario for a half year or so, there just isn't enough room.

Reactions: Trash Panda

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
wait

on pace or not, Gabe is ALREADY a 20 goal scorer, with 22 goals in 59 games. That's a 30 goal 'pace.' to go along with a 55 point pace.

If we're talking likelihood of him hitting that, I wouldn't bet against it. A full 82 game Vilardi with another year of experience under his belt? You're saying you would go to his agent and say 'yeahhhh but he hasn't hit 50 points yet?' LOL good luck with that.

He's got the pedigree, ability, and pace, all he needs is a full season. And yes, that's a 'concern', but if you're talking contract, he's not settling for 40 point guy money.

Edit: Herby beat me to it and no one is going to like it but you're looking at a 7 million dollar player if he's signing for term. It's smart for him and good for the team to bridge imo but it's also going to cost the Kings more on the other side.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Vilardi has already given the Kings this season at a total bargain rate for what he has produced, that coupled with his injury history would make it very likely he would be looking for some kind of longer term deal. He has yet to make really big money in the NHL and has battled significant injuries that could flare up again at any time. Bridge deals aren’t as prevalent as they used to be in the NHL.

Vilardi would really be betting on himself, and there could be a situations where his offense could fall due to things really not in his control (playing with lesser linemates, especially not Fiala, less #1 PP time if QB of Kaliyev took big steps next season.

But that is true of almost every 2nd/3rd line scorer, heck even some of the higher end guys on 1st lines. Go check out the Caufield thread on the prospects board and people who were convinced he was a flash in the pan based on a cold streak last season. If Vilardi played at his peak level consistently you are looking at a $7-$8m player and not a $4m one. But very few non star scorers do.
Yup, the only real difference between ideal first liners and supporting players is consistency. Fortunately the Kings are rolling three, sometimes four, offensive lines so you can have 60 point players spread out around the lineup.

Vilardi seems like a damn good bet to take another big step in the next year or two, so if he wants to maximize his earning potential it would behoove him to take a short bridge deal and bet on himself to cash in when he can legitimately claim to be a first line player.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Contract status matters. Iafallo and Moore were soon-to-be UFAs so the Kings would have lost them if they didn’t pay up. Vilardi is going to be an RFA after this season.
When I say 4, or taking less than Iafallo/Moore, I was only referring to a bridge deal. And getting less than those two for 1 year so the Kings can hedge their bets, while it'd be great for the Kings, I just don't see Vilardi taking that deal.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
imagine what GVs numbers would be too if he was getting line 1 minutes and PP1 all season -- like Kempe has.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
When I say 4, or taking less than Iafallo/Moore, I was only referring to a bridge deal. And getting less than those two for 1 year so the Kings can hedge their bets, while it'd be great for the Kings, I just don't see Vilardi taking that deal.
Vilardi's had a good year this year overall but it's only one year. Just a season ago he was sent back to the AHL for a large part of the season. I will be pretty surprised if he gets anything more than a 2- to 3-year deal between $2.5- to $3-million AAV. There is no real threat of any other team driving up the price on him like the Kings had to factor in with Iafallo and Moore. (Whether the Kings should have offered those contracts to Iafallo and/or Moore is a different issue altogether.)

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I think it's likely Blake will try to sign Vilardi on a bridge deal (1-2 years) maybe around $3~3.5M.
If Gavrikov comes in at around $4.5~5.5M, and Korpisalo around $3M, that's about $11~12million.

If they move Walker ($2.6M) and Iafallo ($4M), they'll have about $14million cap space, and only Kupari and JAD left to sign.
You're not deducting inked raises to MA and TMoo?

Kempe and Vilardi are examples how Blake and Tmac make players earn their spot and salary by being defensively responsible and do the little things right'
Bridge for sure on Vilardi until after next season when Kopitar is resigned for cheaper or let go.
Plenty of mental hopscotch here speculating until it gets sorted over the coming 2 seasons.
In Blake we trust!

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It’s not “holding anything against him”

It’s just pointing out that “on pace” arguments usually don’t factor in the various hot/cold spells, and generally don’t work out in the end.

Gabe is going to be hovering around the 4-6m dollar mark regardless, and I’m just glad he got his back sorted enough to become the effective winger that he has.
Hey, I'm with you as far as the limitations of "on pace". If that was the point, then I agree.

But it was pointed out that Vilardi is inconsistent, which if we're calling players out for not being consistent goalscorers, then that applies to virtually the entire league.

The point is, you can be inconsistent AND a 30-goal scorer

Byfield

Jan 15, 2021
Just out of curiosity, would King’s fans be interested in D. Toews in the off-season? If so what players would be available (ideally a center). I figure Byfield is close to untouchable, but what about Danault or Valardi?
1679095256246.gif

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
It's better for the team to lock up Vilardi right now while they have some leverage with his RFA status. But that of course makes it harder to retain other players.

Just something every GM has to deal with. $4.5M-$5M is where his value probably lies right now with his RFA status. That goes up the closer he gets to UFA.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I really want to see Bjornfot back with Doughty so Anderson can pair with Clarke. I'd keep Durzi as the 7th defenseman, and unfortunately that leaves Spence, whom I have been crazy about since Moncton, as potential trade bait. Not happy about that, but unless they slow play Clarke in Ontario for a half year or so, there just isn't enough room.
But why not keep Spence as the 7th Dman over Durzi?

Roy is only signed for one more season. He should probably be re-signed, but if the cap is too tight he may be gone. Would be nice to have both Clarke and Spence on the right side for the future.

Reactions: tbrown33

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
It's better for the team to lock up Vilardi right now while they have some leverage with his RFA status. But that of course makes it harder to retain other players.

Just something every GM has to deal with. $4.5M-$5M is where his value probably lies right now with his RFA status. That goes up the closer he gets to UFA.
No its better to retain
1. Korpi
2. Gavri if possible.
3. Other RFA's
by signing a bridge.
And that is what we have seen Blake do in the past.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
You're not deducting inked raises to MA and TMoo?

Kempe and Vilardi are examples how Blake and Tmac make players earn their spot and salary by being defensively responsible and do the little things right'
Bridge for sure on Vilardi until after next season when Kopitar is resigned for cheaper or let go.
Plenty of mental hopscotch here speculating until it gets sorted over the coming 2 seasons.
In Blake we trust!

My calculation included all signed contracts so yes it included Anderson and Moore's new contract numbers.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso

I would generally agree, but in this case with Vilardi and the Kings, it's better to push the long term deal back a year when Kopitar's deal ends.
It's likely Vilardi could be locked up at a lower dollar value now, but they would have to move out another contract (Arvidsson/Moore?) on top of Walker and Iafallo.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I would generally agree, but in this case with Vilardi and the Kings, it's better to push the long term deal back a year when Kopitar's deal ends.
It's likely Vilardi could be locked up at a lower dollar value now, but they would have to move out another contract (Arvidsson/Moore?) on top of Walker and Iafallo.

It's one of those damned if you do/don't things. If they can get Vilardi long term for under $5M, you do it.

Personally I would rather dangle something like Fagemo+2nd to try and coax someone into taking Petersen. I would even give a 1st if it meant locking in Vilardi at a price like that instead of a few years down the road. It's going to be a late rounder anyways, in all likelihood.

Once the cap goes up in a couple of years guys like GV are going to get 7+, it would give a lot of flexibility.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Moral of the story here is: Blake better get off his fkn ass and start trading some surplus the instant the playoffs end. He should have already begun this year.
It's going to be a real problem soon and its not one you can ignore, it will be right up in his face the moment the yearly cap calendar switches over.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
That Moore contract was dumb. And also trading away a 1st for a guy who you know is going to market was also dumb.

Kings are in a tough spot cap wise this offseason because of it.
I agree with the Moore contract.

I am not worried about the first. It would’ve been a later first and our prospect pool is still stuffed and next year we’re gonna have a hard time fitting bodies onto the team.

We use the first to grab the exact type of Defenceman we need and a very solid goalie that we should be able to re-sign.

It gives our management an extended look at the player, which might be the tipping factor of extending him to a long-term contract.

It also allows the player to get used to Los Angeles, have his family get used to Los Angeles, and to this point solidify, our defense, making us a very heavy playoff contender.

The guy didn’t win a whole lot in Columbus, gets to wake up almost every day near the ocean with a team that seems to be taking care of his family and committed to winning. This is things he would not have had known about prior to coming to Los Angeles for this cup run.

I think by gambling on the first rounder to introduce player to team, team to player, and player to city is a very logical gamble. Now it’s time for Blake to get a signature on the dotted line.

Plus, the guy just seems like an all out gem on and off the ice and seem to have transitioned into a dressing room with ease.

I guess if we re-sign neither it was a gamble we lose, if we re-sign one of them it looks OK and if I re-sign both of them it looks like her all out steal.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Moral of the story here is: Blake better get off his fkn ass and start trading some surplus the instant the playoffs end. He should have already begun this year.
It's going to be a real problem soon and its not one you can ignore, it will be right up in his face the moment the yearly cap calendar switches over.

That indecisiveness to fix the LHD cost the Kings a first round pick. We all knew the LHD problem along with surplus of RHD that were available to trade. Who knows, maybe we could have traded Durzi for Soucy? I know Dean made plenty of mistakes during his time of GM, but he at least took a surplus trading piece (Johnson) and moved it for a forward we needed. With Voynov in the wings we made room for the superior player.

We know Blake acquired Fiala for a RHD + 1st, but we could have gone a step further.

Reactions: Schrute farms

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
That indecisiveness to fix the LHD cost the Kings a first round pick. We all knew the LHD problem along with surplus of RHD that were available to trade. Who knows, maybe we could have traded Durzi for Soucy? I know Dean made plenty of mistakes during his time of GM, but he at least took a surplus trading piece (Johnson) and moved it for a forward we needed. With Voynov in the wings we made room for the superior player.

We know Blake acquired Fiala for a RHD + 1st, but we could have gone a step further.
Lombardi traded Johnson and a first for Carter, so I’m not sure. I think the fact is that once most guys get drafted, they aren’t worth nearly as much.

Lumbus used that first to draft Marko Dano, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad