Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Off topic: anyone know when prices start to drop for tix for non sold out game... is it a day, few hours before or what.. thx in advance

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Regardless with Edler on the bottom pairing it doesn't matter who is in, Walker, Spence, Durzi--if they're with him, the 3rd pairing is getting dummied.
Yea I like to bag on Walker but he looked better on his off side with Spence than he does on his right side with Edler.
Anyone paired with Edler has more responsibility than just their own game and coverage.
Edler turns it over a lot and has trouble recovering cause his foot speed is shot.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Yea I like to bag on Walker but he looked better on his off side with Spence than he does on his right side with Edler.
Anyone paired with Edler has more responsibility than just their own game and coverage.
Edler turns it over a lot and has trouble recovering cause his foot speed is shot.
I’ll give it to the guy, he recovered admirably from that horrific leg injury, but it’s clear that it’s caused him to lose foot speed that he didn’t have to spare.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
And if you want to take that a step further, Calgary has Lucic and Stetcher as well, while Vegas has Amadio and McNabb. 8 former Kings players between the two teams. Plus Sutter and LaBarbara on the Flames coaching staff and Stevens on the Knights.

Wait what ????
LaBarbera has a coaching job?

He was an awful goalie at best and everyone fondly remembers his belly flopping.
No wonder Markstrom plays like he does

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Does anyone have GF and GA stats with and without Durzi this year?
Here ya go:
1679077969508.png

Everybody on to the upper left of the diagonal line has a better GF% at 5vs5 without Durzi than with Durzi. It's most of the team. Disregard Mikey Anderson and Doughty because they played very few minutes together.

Kaliyev and Byfield, and to some degree Gabe Vilardi, appear to get a lot out of playing with Durzi.

The rest of the team (That's Alex Iafallo, Matt Roy, Adrian Kempe, Viktor Arvidsson, Carl Grundstrom, Jonathan Quick, Phillip Danault, JAD, Rasmus Kupari, and Brendan Lemieux), not so much.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If you want to re-sign Gavrikov, and Korpisalo, AND lock up Vilardi long term, then quite a few players are going to have to get moved to make the cap situation work.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Note the above is expected goals as well, not actual goals

Durzi is on the wrong side of the ledger and almost everyone is better without him in that regard

but again much like muzzin martinez we have yet to see what he can bring separate from Roy

Regardless with Edler on the bottom pairing it doesn't matter who is in, Walker, Spence, Durzi--if they're with him, the 3rd pairing is getting dummied.
I agree to a point and you are certainly kinder about Durzi than I am but… Durzi turns the puck over for fun as well as a number of other gaffs. Those aren’t on Edler, not basic individual errors. I’m not saying Edler isn’t a problem but he’s certainly not THE problem with DurzI.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
I think Walker is fine on the bottom pairing. But it seems like Edler's game has gotten worse as the season has gone on.
Hoping to see more of Spence and Durzi when he gets healthy, and less of Edler down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Reactions: Schmooley

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
If you want to re-sign Gavrikov, and Korpisalo, AND lock up Vilardi long term, then quite a few players are going to have to get moved to make the cap situation work.
I think it's likely Blake will try to sign Vilardi on a bridge deal (1-2 years) maybe around $3~3.5M.
If Gavrikov comes in at around $4.5~5.5M, and Korpisalo around $3M, that's about $11~12million.

If they move Walker ($2.6M) and Iafallo ($4M), they'll have about $14million cap space, and only Kupari and JAD left to sign.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If I'm Vilardi, and the Kings want to lock me up long term, I wouldn't take less than 6M.

A bridge deal might make the most sense, since a long term deal could be too risky for LA.

Ideally I'd like to see Durzi moved as well. But moving guys without taking back cap is hard. Walker + Iafallo + Durzi = 8.3M in cap.

Anderson-Doughty
Bjornfot-Roy
Gavrikov-Clarke
Spence

Korpisalo
Copely

That's what I'd like to see next year on the backend.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
I think it's likely Blake will try to sign Vilardi on a bridge deal (1-2 years) maybe around $3~3.5M.
If Gavrikov comes in at around $4.5~5.5M, and Korpisalo around $3M, that's about $11~12million.

If they move Walker ($2.6M) and Iafallo ($4M), they'll have about $14million cap space, and only Kupari and JAD left to sign.
Taking less than Iafallo or Moore? No way Vilardi goes for less than 4.

Reactions: kinghock

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Term affects money more than you’d think.

A one year bridge worked out pretty good for Mikey, and I wager it’s the best leveraging tool Gabe has.

Another season like this one, and he will be on his way to a 4-4.5 million dollar deal with term.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Certainly a long term deal would have a higher AAV but on a bridge deal? Yes.
Blake will probably want to start Vilardi's potential long term deal when Kopitar's $10M contract ends after next season.

A one year bridge worked out pretty good for Mikey, and I wager it’s the best leveraging tool Gabe has.

Another season like this one, and he will be on his way to a 4-4.5 million dollar deal with term.
If Vilardi has another season like this one or better, he's probably looking at $5 or $6million+.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
That Moore contract was dumb. And also trading away a 1st for a guy who you know is going to market was also dumb.

Kings are in a tough spot cap wise this offseason because of it.
Agreed.

This summer Edler and Gavrikov could leave and the Kings are stuck with a bunch of small RH D....

Doughty, Durzi, Walker, Roy, and Spence. Roy is the most physical of the group.

Then there is Anderson - who i met recently is pretty small - plays big, but not big.

IMO, but Bjornfot is done in LA - Kings need two big, either physical or shut down LHD to compliment all the small RHD puck movers and he's not that type of player.

I love how some fans pencil in a D core of Doughty, Spence, Clarke, Durzi for next year. LOL. The Kings are already small and not very physical and that's the D core???? Yeah, sure.

LeftKinger

Oct 20, 2022
Edler is so bad this season. He doesn't win board battles and makes bad passes. All he does now is pin the player to the boards and hope that a teammate comes to retrieve the puck. It's good to have that in your bag, but that's pretty much all he does now.
Eye test shows he’s a potential liability come playoff time. Mentally he’s still there, but he just can’t react in time and I’d hate to see it bite us against some of these speedier lines on the road.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Certainly a long term deal would have a higher AAV but on a bridge deal? Yes.
Blake will probably want to start Vilardi's potential long term deal when Kopitar's $10M contract ends after next season.

If Vilardi has another season like this one or better, he's probably looking at $5 or $6million+.
I’d easily look to the Kempe deal as a comp, and Gabe hasn’t done what Adrian has yet.

6m ain’t happening, unless he goes nuclear next year.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego

Vilardi is not settling for Iafallo/Moore money with term (I say he's a better player, if he stays healthy). Unless you're suggesting his value level is that of Iafallo/Moore and no "more"?

Reactions: Master Yoda

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
I’d easily look to the Kempe deal as a comp, and Gabe hasn’t done what Adrian has yet.

6m ain’t happening, unless he goes nuclear next year.
He's on pace for a 55 point season (based on 82 games). If he has even a moderate increase next year, let's say 60-65 points, he's getting $6m+.
Kempe only had 1 good season when he signed his contract. Arguably, he's underpaid right now.

Reactions: bouncesonly

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
If the cap only moves up 1M, a likely scenario right now unless the NHLPA and Bettman make a deal, I think the Kings will have real problems moving Walker and/or Iafallo without retaining or taking salary back. The market will be frozen, and the ones with cap room will be courted by every other team in the league.

Let's hope it moves up by more.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
He's on pace for a 55 point season (based on 82 games). If he has even a moderate increase next year, let's say 60-65 points, he's getting $6m+.
Kempe only had 1 good season when he signed his contract. Arguably, he's underpaid right now.
“On pace” is an entirely different thing from actually producing, as it’s well known that all offensive players outside of the very top 10% go cold for spells.

Like I said, it would take a decent uptick in production for 6m to be palpable.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
“On pace” is an entirely different thing from actually producing, as it’s well known that all offensive players outside of the very top 10% go cold for spells.

Like I said, it would take a decent uptick in production for 6m to be palpable.
On pace or not, we can agree that he's had a break out season and if he can improve to 60ish points next season, he's not settling for middle 6 forward ($4~4.5M) type money.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
If I'm Vilardi, and the Kings want to lock me up long term, I wouldn't take less than 6M.

A bridge deal might make the most sense, since a long term deal could be too risky for LA.

Ideally I'd like to see Durzi moved as well. But moving guys without taking back cap is hard. Walker + Iafallo + Durzi = 8.3M in cap.

Anderson-Doughty
Bjornfot-Roy
Gavrikov-Clarke
Spence

Korpisalo
Copely

That's what I'd like to see next year on the backend.
Depends who you trade with right..
Carolina will have $20+ mill in cap, while Iafallo doesn’t fit their timeline with their upcoming UFA. They could be a fit for Ardvisson..
Buffalo needs more leadership and a guy like Durzi could certainly help. With Power and Samuelsson on the left side, they could potentially cover his warts.

So…..
Arvy to Carolina for picks

Iafallo and Durzi to Buffalo for… yes, more picks

Byfield - Kopitar - Vilardi

Moore - Danault - Kempe

Fiala - XXXXX - Kaliyev

Kupari - Lizotte - Grundstrom

Would some size.. maybe a minimum pay Lucic

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
On pace or not, we can agree that he's had a break out season and if he can improve to 60ish points next season, he's not settling for middle 6 forward ($4~4.5M) type money.
That is a pretty big “if”, but I completely agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad