Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup

84E80EB9-D945-422C-9936-8AF1D4403ABD.jpeg

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Your ask is a lot more lopsided than if we went to your board and asked if you'd trade Byram for Kupari.

It addresses needs for both teams just the same, but the value is skewed in our favor.

The Kings would have one more season of Toews before the they have to re-sign him or scramble to find another LD.

Maybe I under rate Kupari, but I think the skew of value is a lot more pronounced in your counter proposal.

In my opinion asking if one of Danault or Valardi are available for D. Toews (a top pair defenseman) is not that crazy or a question especially just a starting point in a conversation. Clearly Kings fans don’t have an interest and in large part due to team control which I get. Just thought I’d see if there was any interest with players that Colorado would likely also have interest in. Thanks for the input!

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Maybe I under rate Kupari, but I think the skew of value is a lot more pronounced in your counter proposal.

In my opinion asking if one of Danault or Valardi are available for D. Toews (a top pair defenseman) is not that crazy or a question especially just a starting point in a conversation. Clearly Kings fans don’t have an interest and in large part due to team control which I get. Just thought I’d see if there was any interest with players that Colorado would likely also have interest in. Thanks for the input!

It's unfortunate because I think lots of us have gone over this so many times and between Toews/Byram and a million Cs on the Kings you'd think there' s a deal to be had that works out for both parties (Kings need/needed LHD, Avs experienced Cs) but somehow every one we have looked at somehow hurts both teams instead, haha.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
That would be wonderful, but a tall order. Probably 109 points or so, only could lose 2 games down the stretch. The reward might be Edmonton, which I wouldn't really care for.

Would be a boon if the team goes deeper into the playoffs for sure.
Largely depends on how Vegas plays from here on out. They have a tougher schedule than LA, and Quick is their goalie.

Should be interesting.

I'm confident we'll stay ahead of Dallas/Min from here on out.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
It's unfortunate because I think lots of us have gone over this so many times and between Toews/Byram and a million Cs on the Kings you'd think there' s a deal to be had that works out for both parties (Kings need/needed LHD, Avs experienced Cs) but somehow every one we have looked at somehow hurts both teams instead, haha.

Yeah probably a better case for a trade before you guys landed Gavrikov. I appreciate the feedback! Best of luck the rest of the way (unless it’s against the Avs).

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
The Athletic has a neat little story up, entitled The L.A. Kings and their jersey numbers — what’s the story behind each choice? We've been bagging on the new guy, but he has the most meaningful choice:

No. 17: Zack MacEwen

“No. 17 means a lot to me. I unfortunately lost my father a few years back to a stroke. He was 48. His birthday was actually Aug. 17, 1971. I was 71 in Vancouver, 17 in Philly. Seventeen here, it’s great to keep that number. It always keeps him close with me. I can honor him that way. Actually, 71 was given to me in Vancouver. Kind of coincidentally worked out that way. Ever since then, I don’t really ever want to switch out of that if it’s at all possible.”

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Yeah, I was reading that this morning, he may be the new scapegoat, but his response was touching :P I thought Byfield's was interesting as well:

No. 55: Quinton Byfield

“I’ve worn the number since I was 7. When I was younger, I used to play defense. The Pittsburgh Penguins were my favorite team and Sergei Gonchar wore 55. I just stuck with that my whole life, my whole career. That’s the meaning for me. Everyone loved the Penguins when I was growing up. Crosby, Malking, Letang. Those guys. And I saw Gonchar use that. Another top guy but maybe a little bit under the radar compared to those guys. I really liked his game and kind of when I was a defenseman, I really liked how he played.”

I also vote that if Gavrikov re-signs he can have #4... :laugh:

No. 84: Vladislav Gavrikov

“The 4 (here), obviously retired. Maybe I should ask, ‘Hey, how about 4, Rob?’ That’s what I’ve usually taken. Forty-four and 46, that was my number previously. Those were taken. That’s why I figured I have 4 on the back and the 8 is a double four. That’s pretty easy. But never used that before. Even on national teams or wherever. Never. Something new for me. I’ll have to get used to that. I like 4. I understand that right away. I got used to that 4 because I grow up pretty much the whole time with No. 4 until I was 15, 16.”

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I remember the Byfield being a big fan of Gonchar thing, such a unique fandom

Interesting to think if he would have kept playing D, I dont recall anyone asking him why he moved to forward, it's often the other way around

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
If the Kings keep rotating goalies for the remainder of the schedule, Korpi will have started 6 of the Kings 8 games against playoff teams since the trade deadline. The first start against a playoff team for Copley is the 3/30 game against the Oilers. The other is the 4/6 game against Vegas. Will be interesting to see if the rotation is changed for either game.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016

The Gavrikov and Korpisalo stuff is great but there's also a really interesting conversation with Jack Han

Jack was an analyst in the Maple Leafs system, an assistant coach with the Marlies and works as a hockey skills consultant. We got into some topics I think may be of interest to many of you

The Kings use of LHD/RHD in the 1-3-1
the Kings structure and somewhat unique reliance and adherence to that structure
Byfield as wing and how it may or may not impact his development and return to the center position
Jim Hiller and how he likes to set up PP tactics and the significance of right shot players at the goal mouth on the power play

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

The Gavrikov and Korpisalo stuff is great but there's also a really interesting conversation with Jack Han

Jack was an analyst in the Maple Leafs system, an assistant coach with the Marlies and works as a hockey skills consultant. We got into some topics I think may be of interest to many of you

The Kings use of LHD/RHD in the 1-3-1
the Kings structure and somewhat unique reliance and adherence to that structure
Byfield as wing and how it may or may not impact his development and return to the center position
Jim Hiller and how he likes to set up PP tactics and the significance of right shot players at the goal mouth on the power play

Listening now. Very interested in Jack's thoughts, I subscribe to his stuff and I remember he was one of the only people anywhere who actually thought Doughty wasn't just totally rinsed and explained his dip in play.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Just out of curiosity, would King’s fans be interested in D. Toews in the off-season? If so what players would be available (ideally a center). I figure Byfield is close to untouchable, but what about Danault or Valardi?
Any team should absolutely be interested in D. Toews if he were available. Underrated, underpaid, very very good player.

Yes Byfield is untouchable. Danault has a no movement clause. Toews for Vilardi? I think that's possible with some tweaks here and there. I say that as a huge Vilardi fan.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Any team should absolutely be interested in D. Toews if he were available. Underrated, underpaid, very very good player.

Yes Byfield is untouchable. Danault has a no movement clause. Toews for Vilardi? I think that's possible with some tweaks here and there. I say that as a huge Vilardi fan.

It's probably 'fair' but I sure wouldn't do it.

Need Vilardi's age and salary control. Toews will be 30 and looking for a payday.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
I've looked at all the RFA/UFAs by the end of this season and Gavrikov (to me) is the clear choice to try and re-sign. Could be difficult, but hopefully they can pull it off.
Cap might go up as much as 4.5 million this summer.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I was looking at the numbers for next year, and I just don't see how we can afford to lockup both Vilardi and Gavrikov long term unless the cap goes up significantly.

Even if you got rid of one of Iafallo/Arvidsson, it would still be hard to make it work.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

You coulda had Quick 4-0 in Vegas

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Does anyone have the clip of Fox showing off his two rings to Hayward’s one? Or did I just dream of it happening thinking of how furious this clip made me?
I think you were dreaming. Fox is not the kind of guy to show someone up, like Hayward was attempting.

There was another time Hayward pull that, and it was a much more somber mood, and it pissed me off too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad