Confirmed with Link: LA Kings @LAKings Welcome to Los Angeles, Phillip Danault!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
So help me if our top line next season is still Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown.

I'd still love to see Vilardi next to Kopitar. Get Vilardi to shoot the f***ing puck more often. Just launch it! Maybe Andersson or Moore can handle 3C duties?

Iafallo - Kopitar - Vilardi
Kempe - Danault - Arvidsson
Athanasiou - Andersson - Brown
Grundstrom - JAD - Moore

Who did I forget this time?
I would be shocked if they put Brown on the 3rd line.Farest I see just him playing is the second line.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I would be shocked if they put Brown on the 3rd line.Farest i see him playing is the second line.

You're probably right, but I'd rather see him on the third line and still get power play time.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Andersson - Vilardi - Athanasiou
Grundstrom - JAD - Moore

Probably our opening night forward group unless we send JAD down because of waiver eligibility.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
You're probably right, but I'd rather see him on the third line and still get power play time.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Andersson - Vilardi - Athanasiou
Grundstrom - JAD - Moore

Probably our opening night forward group unless we send JAD down because of waiver eligibility.
Also tkachyov will make a push for a spot

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
The more time I've had to process this move, the more I'm fine with it. Guy brings a component that has been lacking in the organization for a few years now. He totally outworks his opponents. The guy is not a lollygagger, but gives 100% each game. 6 yrs at 5.5 is a bit steep, but it's tougher finding capable C's compared to wings. My initial reaction wasn't positive, but it's because I'm mostly dumb. Takes me a while.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
In case it goes south, buyout after year 4 is very manageable.

Phillip Danault Buyout Details

Cost Calculations

BUYOUT DATEBASE SALARY REMAININGS.BONUS REMAININGYEARS REMAININGBUYOUT LENGTHAGEBUYOUT RATIOTOTAL COSTTOTAL SAVINGSANNUAL COST
Jun 15, 2025$11,000,000$024322/3$7,333,333$3,666,667$1,833,333
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Cap Hit Calculations

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (
los_angeles_kings.svg
LAK)
2025-26$5,500,000$5,500,000$0$1,833,333$1,833,333$3,666,667$1,833,333
2026-27$5,500,000$5,500,000$0$1,833,333$1,833,333$3,666,667$1,833,333
2027-28$0$0$0$1,833,333$1,833,333-$1,833,333$1,833,333
2028-29$0$0$0$1,833,333$1,833,333-$1,833,333$1,833,333
TOTAL$11,000,000$11,000,000$0$7,333,333$7,333,333$3,666,667$7,333,332
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Our other talented offensive players won't be scoring goals when they're pinned in their zones after a face-off loss or matched up against the opponents' top lines. I bet Vilardi's line would benefit by getting those bottom 6/3rd pairing matchups. The youth needs to be allowed to grow and be sheltered until they're ready to square off against top lines.

I'm really excited for the upcoming season. I just hope that TMc doesn't overload lines and pair linemates together that make no sense, which he was guilty of for long stretches last season. Until the end of the season where he actually changed things up. You've got 2 shutdown Cs now, 1 who is expected to produce offense at a 1C level and one at a 2C/high 3C level. You also have 3 play-driving possession wings in Arvidsson , Iaffalo and Moore. Playing 2 of them on the same line would be stupid if you're trying to balance lines and skillsets. Personally, I would NOT pair VA with Kopi. Kopitar needs to shoot more, not pass more. He has a great shot which is underutilized.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
The more time I've had to process this move, the more I'm fine with it. Guy brings a component that has been lacking in the organization for a few years now. He totally outworks his opponents. The guy is not a lollygagger, but gives 100% each game. 6 yrs at 5.5 is a bit steep, but it's tougher finding capable C's compared to wings. My initial reaction wasn't positive, but it's because I'm mostly dumb. Takes me a while.

I'm with you, the more I think about the deal, the more it grows on me. I mean, that's all we can do with any move as fans, but I am feeling more confident that this was the right move to make. It puts up huge safety nets for the young centers and makes us much harder to play against. This is a stabilizing bridge to get the best prospect pool in the league to become the best NHL roster in the league. We can afford it, he is essentially taking over Dustin Brown's cap hit, and if Brown wants to continue on with us in a bottom 6 role then he can essentially take on Carter's retention on a short term.

Reactions: Token and Fat Elvis

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Between Danault, Arvidsson, Edler, and development and production from at least two of Byfield/Vilardi/Turcotte/Kupari/Kaliyev, I think Kings brass should be expecting this team to seriously challenge for a playoff spot.

If they’re bottom ten again after all of these additions, there’s something rotten in Denmark.

Agreed. I'm satisfied that management has provided the coaching and development staffs with as much help as they can give them this offseason. I'm not expecting this year's team to win the cup but I think it's time to take a big step closer. I'm expecting to be a bubble team.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
So the plan to increase offense was to sign a defensive forward to a 6 year deal in hopes it allows a 34 year old center to produce more?

I don't think that is the plan at all.
From the interviews I saw, he will get a bigger role and PP time with the Kings. I expect 40-50 pts from Danault while also reducing Kopi's ice time from PK duties. There is 0 guarantee that this will result in more production from Kopitar though.
It doesn’t need to result in more production. Maintaining current productivity for a couple of years followed by minimal drop off as he ages would be a success, whilst the young guns start to pick up the slack and then some. If his scoring increases, even better.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
To me this is the off-season all about Vilardi and Byfield. Both are young and both have massive growth ahead of them. Quinton is easier as he just needs to mature and grow into his body. Will starting the season in the AHL hurt him, absolutely not.

Vilardi on the other hand will have his first season to train like a hockey player instead of an injury victim. I am very curious to see what this does with him. Can he address his strength issues and his cardio issues over summer and will that have any effect on his skating? The dude just looked burned out at the end of shifts and had an expected lull in the middle of the season. Equate this to watching a college player go into the NHL where they are not used to the hard, long schedule.

I think out of all of our prospects it will be Vilardi that will turn some heads this year. If the guy comes back half a step quicker, stronger, and able to play quality minutes instead of tired minutes he could turn into a force

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
It doesn’t need to result in more production. Maintaining current productivity for a couple of years followed by minimal drop off as he ages would be a success, whilst the young guns start to pick up the slack and then some. If his scoring increases, even better.

I can see Danault as a bridge from Kopitar to QB, mentoring Turcotte, all while giving Kopi defensive breaks to keep him going for as long as we can. I am fine with that. My only concern is that we need to add to the offense too. Arvidsson could be seen as lateral move to replace Carter's production. Where is the boost in offense going to come from if the kids are not ready and Danault doesn't produce?

Like I said in previous posts last year, all eyes on Vilardi again...he will be the key to unlock the next wave forwards.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
It’s not justabout his production. It’s about his ability to shut things down and create easier matchups for the rest of the forward group including the Kings young centers. Do you think Nick Suzuki would have been as productive matching up against teams top lines? He’s a good 2 way player but Danault made his job a lot easier.
Yeah we all get that. We’re not dumb. Just don’t talk down and act as if talking about production out of his slot is off limits.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Our other talented offensive players won't be scoring goals when they're pinned in their zones after a face-off loss or matched up against the opponents' top lines. I bet Vilardi's line would benefit by getting those bottom 6/3rd pairing matchups. The youth needs to be allowed to grow and be sheltered until they're ready to square off against top lines.

I'm really excited for the upcoming season. I just hope that TMc doesn't overload lines and pair linemates together that make no sense, which he was guilty of for long stretches last season. Until the end of the season where he actually changed things up. You've got 2 shutdown Cs now, 1 who is expected to produce offense at a 1C level and one at a 2C/high 3C level. You also have 3 play-driving possession wings in Arvidsson , Iaffalo and Moore. Playing 2 of them on the same line would be stupid if you're trying to balance lines and skillsets. Personally, I would NOT pair VA with Kopi. Kopitar needs to shoot more, not pass more. He has a great shot which is underutilized.

MY ONLY GOAL THIS SEASON:

GET KOPITAR OFF THE PENALTY KILL ASAP AND KEEP IT THAT WAY THE ENTIRE YEAR!

LOUD NOISES!!!

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Does anyone have the numbers on how many 3rd period leads the kings blew or how many times the kings gave up a goal in the first few minutes of the game?

Literal last minute goals given up that I can recall were the two Wild games to start the season, 1 against the sharks, and 1 against the Blues.

I think Danault absolutely will help in these areas.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Does anyone have the numbers on how many 3rd period leads the kings blew or how many times the kings gave up a goal in the first few minutes of the game?

Literal last minute goals given up that I can recall were the two Wild games to start the season, 1 against the sharks, and 1 against the Blues.

LOL I would actually be afraid to look those up

Reactions: Stimpythecat

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
It’s not justabout his production. It’s about his ability to shut things down and create easier matchups for the rest of the forward group including the Kings young centers. Do you think Nick Suzuki would have been as productive matching up against teams top lines? He’s a good 2 way player but Danault made his job a lot easier.

Any top six player's offensive production is a topic of interest. However, it's not a straight across number of moar pointz only. If the guy produces 45 points and limits other teams production by over 65 points (like 30-35 goals) across the board so that his plus/minus is a real +20 or more, then the guy must be super-effective. That being said, I don't want a 45 point guy playing 1C either.

In the Kings' past scheme set up by Darryl Sutter, a guy like this could be an insanely effective 2aC where another guy like Jeff Carter could be a 2bC (for that 70s line). This way the coach can clamp down with the 2aC line or generate some fast, possibly back-breaking or quick catch-up offense with the 2bC's line...then shut it down again with the 2aC's line.

That's some good Kings hockey.

Reactions: Token

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

They gave up quite a few to Minnesota. But probably fewer than you think. They fell behind in the first period too early to blow a 3rd-period lead.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Agreed. I'm satisfied that management has provided the coaching and development staffs with as much help as they can give them this offseason. I'm not expecting this year's team to win the cup but I think it's time to take a big step closer. I'm expecting to be a bubble team.

Yep, these are not unrealistic expectations.

Token

May 15, 2019
Any top six player's offensive production is a topic of interest. However, it's not a straight across number of moar pointz
This!

So much this!

Adding skill to a 23-man roster is about figuring out the improvement of the team game.

It’s not just about Arvidsson bringing 20 - 25 - 30 goals to the season. It’s about how he impacts the current shift he is playing, the other 5 guys on the ice, then the following three shifts. Rinse, repeat.

Adding 3 skill forwards over the summer can have an impact far greater than any individual stat or skill they bring. Yes, counting Tkachev here. ;)

Reactions: Rorschach

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
I don't think he has much of a chance. Would be cool if he did though.

I honestly don't know much about him. I think he makes the team or he is back to the KHL. He might be something, then again, he might be Russian Austin Wagnerski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad