Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I wouldn't be shocked to see this drag into training camp and then he stops talking saying doesn't want the distraction and walks to UFA. Not saying he's leaving but he definitely is about the dollar and will only get more next off season with cap rising.

Reactions: Ragdoll and Fatass

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Cap change
2016-2017: +2.24%
McDavid signs July 1st, 2017
2017-2018: +2.74%
2018-2019: +6.00%
Matthews signs Feb. 5th 2019.

What part of that is confusing? Just an unfortunate circumstance the biggest raise happens right before Matthews signs.

Jun. 18, 2017 +2.74%
July 1 , 2017 McDavid signs
Jun. 21, 2018 +6.00%
Feb. 5th 2019. Matthews signs

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Jun. 18, 2017 +2.74%
July 1 , 2017 McDavid signs
Jun. 21, 2018 +6.00%
Feb. 5th 2019. Matthews signs
So Matthews signed on a cap 6% higher - that’s pretty significant.

Especially given the fact that the growth of the cap was over double the rate it grew in previous years, suggesting further growth would be elevated.

If McDavid’s contract was 6% higher, relative to the cap difference - he would be making 13.25M x 8.

Now, compare that to if Matthews signed at the time McDavid did - 6% lower - it would be 10.94M.

Basically, if you reverse the order they were signed and only account for the cap difference, ignoring that McDavid signed earlier in his career - you have Matthews making 10.94M vs McDavid making 13.25M.

The gap was lowered because McDavid signed on a 6% lower cap, Matthews signed on a 6% higher cap. That creates a 12% difference between the two contracts. That 12% bridged the gap between the two contracts and Matthews was labelled greedy for having a contract too close to McDavid’s.

Last edited:

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
So Matthews signed on a cap 6% higher - that’s pretty significant.

Especially given the fact that the growth of the cap was over double the rate it grew in previous years, suggesting further growth would be elevated.

If McDavid’s contract was 6% higher, relative to the cap difference - he would be making 13.25M x 8.

Now, compare that to if Matthews signed at the time McDavid did - 6% lower - it would be 10.94M.

Basically, if you reverse the order they were signed and only account for the cap difference, ignoring that McDavid signed earlier in his career - you have Matthews making 10.94M vs McDavid making 13.25M.

The gap was lowered because McDavid signed on a 6% lower cap, Matthews signed on a 6% higher cap. That creates a 12% difference between the two contracts. That 12% bridged the gap between the two contracts and Matthews was labelled greedy for having a contract too close to McDavid’s.
Sure is 6% is significant but this creates another issue where McDavid contract started after that 6% increase making it even better in comparison to Matthews (started after only 2.52% increase)
And not sure what you meant by that 12% diffeence, it does not work like that.

In the end i assume people believe MCDavid is different tier of player and Matthews signing at similar time should not be within 1m from his contract.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Sure is 6% is significant but this creates another issue where McDavid contract started after that 6% increase making it even better in comparison to Matthews (started after only 2.52% increase)
And not sure what you meant by that 12% diffeence, it does not work like that.

In the end i assume people believe MCDavid is different tier of player and Matthews signing at similar time should not be within 1m from his contract.

What? I’m saying if you switched them it would be a bigger difference.

Matthews contract would be 6% less because the current contract accounts for the 6% raise.

McDavid’s contract would be 6% more than it is currently because it doesn’t account for the raise.

I agree that the Leafs should have signed Matthews after his second year, but they had a braindead GM at the time who thought it was better to wait for some reason.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
As an Oiler fan I'm not feeling secure about anything until there's ink on paper. The culture thing might be a lot of marketing. It is great that there are very tight friends but they can be friends on other teams
I don't think so. Where are either going to be successful at their new cap hits. They want to play together

His wife just opened her headquarter in Edmonton. Connor lives down the block from the owner and spent like 6 million on his house

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
I agree that the Leafs should have signed Matthews after his second year, but they had a braindead GM at the time who thought it was better to wait for some reason.
Either way he would be signed after 6% cap increase. But probably waiting till end of 3rd season would be best bet after not signing him earlier since he was regressing after hot start

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Either way he would be signed after 6% cap increase. But probably waiting till end of 3rd season would be best bet after not signing him earlier since he was regressing after hot start

Yeah, you can’t avoid the cap rise with Matthews.

Dubas was paranoid though. There were rumours that Arizona was preparing an offer sheet and Dubas didn’t want to wait for the off-season because of that. Also, you can’t predict if Matthews was going to slow down or pick up his pace.

He was on a 100 point pace when he was signed, on a higher cap. The contract made sense for what it was.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I wouldn't be shocked to see this drag into training camp and then he stops talking saying doesn't want the distraction and walks to UFA. Not saying he's leaving but he definitely is about the dollar and will only get more next off season with cap rising.

I think that would honestly depend on his season. With a repeat of his last season, I would say that he’d only be disservicing his own interests by letting this drag out. This situation is feeling similar to Stamkos. He’s a great player, but he’s already being paid more than fairly for his current contribution. Hold the line, as you know Toronto offers him more than others can. The marketing dollars here are much greater, and they are competitive and can fit him in without moving out much (would still remain competitive). If he truly cannot see this and wants to be greedy, I wouldn’t mind this be a situation where they move him.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah, you can’t avoid the cap rise with Matthews.

Dubas was paranoid though. There were rumours that Arizona was preparing an offer sheet and Dubas didn’t want to wait for the off-season because of that. Also, you can’t predict if Matthews was going to slow down or pick up his pace.

He was on a 100 point pace when he was signed, on a higher cap. The contract made sense for what it was.

Either way you won't ruin your team by overpaying star player by 1m . Every team has more than that in bad contracts. Problem for Leafs is that every year there are few teams with much better cap situation like Tampa/Vegas using LTIR, Avs with Mack at 6m, Toews at 4m, Kadri at 4m, Nichuskin at 2m etc. You will have hard time winning with mostly fair contracts.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Either way you won't ruin your team by overpaying star player by 1m . Every team has more than that in bad contracts. Problem for Leafs is that every year there are few teams with much better cap situation like Tampa/Vegas using LTIR, Avs with Mack at 6m, Toews at 4m, Kadri at 4m, Nichuskin at 2m etc. You will have hard time winning with mostly fair contracts.
Toews never made 4, went from ELC to 6.3. Hasn’t made that for 9 years.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
He is truly a great player but he’s not mcdavid. I would rather have 2 players that would equal a similar cap hit

Jack Hughes and Bratt is in the 15 range

Tage Thompson and cozens is in the 14 range

Put Mathews in the era before the salary cap and I bet people would think a lot different of him

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Toews never made 4, went from ELC to 6.3. Hasn’t made that for 9 years.
Im talking about Avs and Devon Toews.

He is truly a great player but he’s not mcdavid. I would rather have 2 players that would equal a similar cap hit

Put Mathews in the era before the salary cap and I bet people would think a lot different of him

Obviously but it is not like Leafs have this choice to make.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Of course, but will Treliving think like you or will he give in to whatever Matthews wants? And if Matthews does walk July 1, 2024 which two UFAs (at that time) will be available for the Leafs to sign to replace him at 14-15 mil?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Even with the cap going up (we can only hope, right?), wouldn't it still be accurate that Matthews gets more over 8 years in Toronto than he'd get in any 7-year deal next offseason?

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Even with the cap going up (we can only hope, right?), wouldn't it still be accurate that Matthews gets more over 8 years in Toronto than he'd get in any 7-year deal next offseason?
Yes but doesn't seem like he cares about signing any long term deals. However who knows what he wants and discussion is. This is all speculation on our parts. Hopefully this gets resolved For Leafs sake before season starts.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not sure, longest rumoured deal is 5 years for some reason.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Signing Tavares is the root cause. Because he almost immediately became the teams #2C when Matthews emerged. And he obviously was not going to take less than Tavares because he was the better player (or at least was going to be very soon). And then Marner could also make the claim for double digits because he had actually outperformed Matthews in terms of stats.

If you fellas think Lou could've gotten Matthews and Marner signed to 8 year deals on single digits, lol. Doesn't really matter who the GM was, because signing Tavares probably came from above the GM as well.

Eichel getting $10million/year set the floor for any Matthews/Marner contract extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad