Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
This makes zero sense, no matter how you try to spin it. No greedy player who is interested in making every dollar possible is going to sign a 12 year deal and miss out on 10-12 cap increases. Not when you're an elite megastar who can fill in your own amount at will. The only type of players who would commit to a non-growing AAV for 12 years are players who balance their massive paycheck with leaving money on the table so they have a better supporting cast in order to help them win. Period. No verbal gymnastics are going to convince people otherwise.

Sure lmao. Rielly, perhaps. But there was no "one player reason." If anything, Rielly and Nylander were more impactful in the playoffs.

I am going to stop responding cause I am not even sure you watch games...

Matthews' stats after round one were 5G 4A, Nylander's 2G 5A

Matthews had that huge comeback game and had at least a goal in the final 4 games of that series...

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
This makes zero sense, no matter how you try to spin it. No greedy player who is interested in making every dollar possible is going to sign a 12 year deal and miss out on 10-12 cap increases. Not when you're an elite megastar who can fill in your own amount at will. The only type of players who would commit to a non-growing AAV for 12 years are players who balance their massive paycheck with leaving money on the table so they have a better supporting cast in order to help them win. Period. No verbal gymnastics are going to convince people otherwise.

Sure lmao. Rielly, perhaps. But there was no "one player reason." If anything, Rielly and Nylander were more impactful in the playoffs.
Crosby had 17.3% of his teams cap at $8.7M in 2008-2009 when they won the Stanley cup. That’s the equivalent of $14.45M per today. It’s possible to have a good supporting cast and win the cup when you’re making a lot of money. I’ll take Matthews at 13-13.5 any day of the week, and we won’t even know the cap hit % yet until we know what the cap is in 2024-2025, which is expected to go up quite a large amount, and will continue to go up in the years after. It’s a non issue.

Your reply to not bias is ridiculous as well. Matthews was incredible in round 1. Let’s argue in good faith here

Reactions: Seanaconda

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Crosby had 17.3% of his teams cap at $8.7M in 2008-2009 when they won the Stanley cup. That’s the equivalent of $14.45M per today. It’s possible to have a good supporting cast and win the cup when you’re making a lot of money. I’ll take Matthews at 13-13.5 any day of the week, and we won’t even know the cap hit % yet until we know what the cap is in 2024-2025, which is expected to go up quite a large amount, and will continue to go up in the years after. It’s a non issue.

Your reply to not bias is ridiculous as well. Matthews was incredible in round 1. Let’s argue in good faith here
Matthews most recent season is not a 13-13.5M level season, heck it wasnt worth 11.634M

He wasnt a top 10 player last year.

We are hoping for a bounce back season from him in addition to him becoming an elite playoff performer

13-13.5M is a deal he isnt worth similarly to 11.634M when he signed but can still grow into over a full deal

Matthews at 11.634 the last 4 years is probably fair value but now we need to pay him again in a year instead of 3 additional years locked in at that cap due to our old GM botching the contract

If we give Matthews 3 or 4 years 13.5M he will maybe be worth it over the 4 year deal, but then we need to pay him again to a new 15-16M deal while other superstars will be locked in on their full term deals

If hes getting 13M it needs to be at 8 year term showing his committment to the leafs organization and to developing into a cup winner

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Matthews most recent season is not a 13-13.5M level season, heck it wasnt worth 11.634M

We are hoping for a bounce back season from him in addition to him becoming an elite playoff performer

13-13.5M is a deal he isnt worth similarly to 11.634M when he signed but can still grow into over a full deal

Matthews at 11.634 the last 4 years is probably fair value but now we need to pay him again in a year instead of 3 additional years locked in at that cap due to our old GM botching the contract

If we give Matthews 3 or 4 years 13.5M he will maybe be worth it over the 4 year deal, but then we need to pay him again to a new 15-16M deal while other superstars will be locked in on their full term deals

If hes getting 13M it needs to be at 8 year term showing his committment to the leafs organization and to developing into a cup winner

Orrrr Matthews chronic injuries cause massive issues and we are counting blessings he isn’t signed at 13 million for years 5-8

Reactions: Seanaconda

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

They also had 113 point Hart runner up and conn smythe winner Malkin still on his ELC. As were Jordan Staal and Kris Letang.

Kind of different from Toronto's #2-4 best guys making almost 30M.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Getting stars locked up for a bit less is really nice to build a winner with, but I think it is a bit underrated too. Matthews is an elite player and if he wants to max his earnings I don't think he should be judged harshly for it. Superstars are underpaid as it is, for both their stats and that they are the marketing face of the team. We are talking about the GM having an extra million or so to play with, which isn't THAT huge a factor.

The only torturous thing about this situation is what Nylander said. Matthews should be a little pissed at him for that. Him saying he'll sign for less if Matthews does (he didn't say that exactly, but that is the summary), puts a lot of unfair pressure there. So Matthews taking what he can isn't costing the Leafs 1-2 million AAV. It's costing them a lot more than that if him taking more means that Nylander and Marner follow suit.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
“Arrogant yet so ignorant” you say yet you keep parroting “not worth 13.5” every reply like it’s doing something. He’s gonna get 13.5 and be worth it just like the way he was worth 11.6.

Nice job moving the goalposts after I proved you wrong btw
do you know what moving the goal posts means? Please explain.

What happened was I used the wrong data, admitted it, but the goal posts never moved. The point still stood.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

Right, but Crosby is Sidney Crosby. He was, is, and will end up, better than Auston Matthews. Living in Philly, I've watched this mentality play out with the Flyers -- they were paying guys like Giroux and Voracek contracts on par with Crosby and Malkin, and failed miserably. You cannot blanketly give Matthews the same cap % as Crosby and consider it smart business without considering:

1. The internal salary structure of your team, and how Matthews contract has a massive halo effect on the rest of the team, due to certain personalities of players who also have entitlement issues.

2. That Auston Matthews is just not as great, complete, dedicated, or consistent as Sidney Crosby.

If you are operating under the guise of, "All best players on each team deserve the same cap % that Sidney Crosby does"... that's a failed premise. Then of course, you need to factor...

"If we do happen to sign this player at an inflated cap hit, is it at least for 8 years so the deal eventually evens out and towards the end becomes team-friendly?" This is the ultimate insurance policy... the fail-safe when contracts get muddy, drag on, and begin to venture into the problematic areas. Matthews "rumored" demands are a failure in both salary and term, and they trip the fail-safe.

As for Matthews in round one -- yes, sure, he was good. He didn't put the team on his back and lead us to the Promised Land with some Herculean showing like prime Gretzky... so let's not oversell it. He did play well. It was likely the best he's played in the playoffs in 7 years. Then we get the Panthers and he looked awful at times and did nothing to win a series.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Right, but Crosby is Sidney Crosby. He was, is, and will end up, better than Auston Matthews. Living in Philly, I've watched this mentality play out with the Flyers -- they were paying guys like Giroux and Voracek contracts on par with Crosby and Malkin, and failed miserably. You cannot blanketly give Matthews the same cap % as Crosby and consider it smart business without considering:

1. The internal salary structure of your team, and how Matthews contract has a massive halo effect on the rest of the team, due to certain personalities of players who also have entitlement issues.

2. That Auston Matthews is just not as great, complete, dedicated, or consistent as Sidney Crosby.

If you are operating under the guise of, "All best players on each team deserve the same cap % that Sidney Crosby does"... that's a failed premise. Then of course, you need to factor...

"If we do happen to sign this player at an inflated cap hit, is it at least for 8 years so the deal eventually evens out and towards the end becomes team-friendly?" This is the ultimate insurance policy... the fail-safe when contracts get muddy, drag on, and begin to venture into the problematic areas. Matthews "rumored" demands are a failure in both salary and term, and they trip the fail-safe.

As for Matthews in round one -- yes, sure, he was good. He didn't put the team on his back and lead us to the Promised Land with some Herculean showing like prime Gretzky... so let's not oversell it. He did play well. It was likely the best he's played in the playoffs in 7 years. Then we get the Panthers and he looked awful at times and did nothing to win a series.
But Matthews never signed for a 17.3% cap hit like Crosby, and won’t his next contract either.

Final thoughts: Matthews is worth 13-13.5 110%, especially without even knowing what the cap will look like in 2024-25, but I’d imagine it’ll be around a 15-15.5% cap hit if the cap goes up 4-5 million, which if you look at comparables cap hit %’s, is a solid number for him.

I’ll say it again, Matthews is an elite player. He’s not some above average 1st liner that can score goals, he’s a superstar, the franchise centre leaf fans have been looking for desperately since Sundin left. Already arguably a top 5 leaf of all time, he’s still a top 5 player in the league even after his “down year” of 40 goals 1.15 PPG in 74 games. He deserves 13+. He’s really underrated around here it seems, even by some leaf fans.

I will be genuinely surprised if he signs for 3 years, I’m going to say it’ll be another 5 year deal, which takes him to age 31, and I’ll be happy with that personally.

Reactions: Boxscore

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
But Matthews never signed for a 17.3% cap hit like Crosby, and won’t his next contract either.

Final thoughts: Matthews is worth 13-13.5 110%, especially without even knowing what the cap will look like in 2024-25, but I’d imagine it’ll be around a 15-15.5% cap hit if the cap goes up 4-5 million, which if you look at comparables cap hit %’s, is a solid number for him.

I’ll say it again, Matthews is an elite player. He’s not some above average 1st liner that can score goals, he’s a superstar, the franchise centre leaf fans have been looking for desperately since Sundin left. Already arguably a top 5 leaf of all time, he’s still a top 5 player in the league even after his “down year” of 40 goals 1.15 PPG in 74 games. He deserves 13+. He’s really underrated around here it seems, even by some leaf fans.

I will be genuinely surprised if he signs for 3 years, I’m going to say it’ll be another 5 year deal, which takes him to age 31, and I’ll be happy with that personally.
Cheers!

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Orrrr Matthews chronic injuries cause massive issues and we are counting blessings he isn’t signed at 13 million for years 5-8
If he has chronic injuries he just goes to LTIR in this case as MLSE can afford the payout

Having him at 13.5M for years 1 to 4 and then 16M for 5-8 if hes healthy is juat putting us at a competitive disadvantage compared to other teams and simply makes it impossible to build a winner

A potential decline in play due to ongoing wrist issues should factor into both his Term and AAV of the new deal, not just term

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
If Matthews left the Leafs, these same folks would be telling us how bad we lost out. People coming to terms that Matthews will stay a leaf explains this thread

• Haha
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Culture is so key. Look at Edmonton. They might not win everything, but they are the complete opposite of Toronto. Very tight group on and off of the ice. That's how you try winning in the end

The owner hired McDavids agent. Look at his press conference. They are committed

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If he has chronic injuries he just goes to LTIR in this case as MLSE can afford the payout

Having him at 13.5M for years 1 to 4 and then 16M for 5-8 if hes healthy is juat putting us at a competitive disadvantage compared to other teams and simply makes it impossible to build a winner

A potential decline in play due to ongoing wrist issues should factor into both his Term and AAV of the new deal, not just term

???? Not really. There are chronic injuries that affect a player who plays through it as a shell of themselves.

Lucic. Vlasic. Seabrook. Toews. There are tons of examples. Great players who became good players over 30.

Men don’t just fall off a cliff at 30. The reason for most major declines is chronkjc injury.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Are we still pretending Cap was raised in the middle of the season?
And it was not going up to 2% on average either.

Cap change
2016-2017: +2.24%
McDavid signs July 1st, 2017
2017-2018: +2.74%
2018-2019: +6.00%
Matthews signs Feb. 5th 2019.

What part of that is confusing? Just an unfortunate circumstance the biggest raise happens right before Matthews signs.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Are you talking about the now illegal back diving deal that was signed in bad faith to give him 100 million.

The pens have reported petitioned the league to re structure it because he wasn’t polannjng on playing for 3 million.
Link to that report?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Culture is so key. Look at Edmonton. They might not win everything, but they are the complete opposite of Toronto. Very tight group on and off of the ice. That's how you try winning in the end

The owner hired McDavids agent. Look at his press conference. They are committed
As an Oiler fan I'm not feeling secure about anything until there's ink on paper. The culture thing might be a lot of marketing. It is great that there are very tight friends but they can be friends on other teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad