Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
Yeah but young "fans" are super into betting on their mobile phones. Revenue streams right?

To be on topic, I am predicting that if the Pens bring in Dubas, it's because they know they need a full tear down tank job rebuild, and he's the perfect guy to throw under the bus.

I could be talking out my butt, but that's just what my gut is saying.

And I'm not saying things are all rosey in TO, the future is very very suspect and I can't wait to see it all go down. It's honestly more enticing than the hockey that is actually being played right now.
You don't see why the old boys club full of dinosaurs might want to change and shape thier image going forward?
Dubas was a hire based on what they thought would be the best image, they were dieing to promote the "New NHL"
The media is all "who will the great Dubas allow to have his skills" lol and let's face it he did a terrible job. Obviously something is forcing the NHL to promote this guy.
He was given a tap in and messed it up. I would not be shocked to see him in Ottaw on a team he can't mess up.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
You don't see why the old boys club full of dinosaurs might want to change and shape thier image going forward?
Dubas was a hire based on what they thought would be the best image, they were dieing to promote the "New NHL"
The media is all "who will the great Dubas allow to have his skills" lol and let's face it he did a terrible job. Obviously something is forcing the NHL to promote this guy.
He was given a tap in and messed it up. I would not be shocked to see him in Ottaw on a team he can't mess up.
Yeah, sure? I think he could be good in Ottawa vs Pittsburgh and he'd be smart to take a job there, especially if Spezza is going with him.

But maybe he's not that smart? Let's not forget the guy is under investigation by the NHLPA.....

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
A job is a job I guess but the Penguins aren’t where I’d go to freshen up my resume right now. Crosby and Malkin aren’t getting any younger and it’s likely the Penguins get a lot worse before they get better. GM is going to have to answer for it, fair or not.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
What the Leafs really lack is fans.

Lol the takes on Dubas are some of the most unhinged in sports. Full tard takes.
its interesting to hear them go from crowning him the best gm ever at the deadline to the worst gm in history after his firing.

Yeah, sure? I think he could be good in Ottawa vs Pittsburgh and he'd be smart to take a job there, especially if Spezza is going with him.

But maybe he's not that smart? Let's not forget the guy is under investigation by the NHLPA.....
semantics but he isn't under investigation, his agent is over his double representation of him and Matthews. Its also important to note that there is no steadfast rule against it, there should be, and probably will be one after all this.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
its interesting to hear them go from crowning him the best gm ever at the deadline to the worst gm in history after his firing.

semantics but he isn't under investigation, his agent is over his double representation of him and Matthews. Its also important to note that there is no steadfast rule against it, there should be, and probably will be one after all this.
While the NHLPA may not have a rule against it, Bar organizations do have rules against firms representing multiple clients with conflicting interest and law firms are more prone to keeping the Bar happy than the NHLPA.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
While the NHLPA may not have a rule against it, Bar organizations do have rules against firms representing multiple clients with conflicting interest and law firms are more prone to keeping the Bar happy than the NHLPA.
I can tell you as a lawyer keeping the bar association happy is as hard as keeping yourself current on your membership dues.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It's amusing seeing the leaf haters that think Dubas is great, after saying he wasn't worthy of an OHL job merely months ago.

Should I list off the things Dubas did wrong?

I didn't even dislike Kyle. But seeing the bums come squaking, hilarious.

Seriously.

I'm seeing a lot of Sens posters go from "LOL Dufas - You can never win with that core. Enjoy your first round exit" to "Please Dubas! Pick us!"

It's crazy.

I've never seen so much hype for a GM who inherited a playoff team, traded 5 1st round picks, and lost in the first round 4 times and won 1 game in the second round the 5th time.

I'd argue it's almost impossible to do a worse job than Dubas (based on results) with what he inherited. Seriously, he inherited a young playoff team - who had made the playoff 3 consecutive times before he was GM, including two back to back Game 7 losses.

He then traded 5 1st round picks in 5 years, and got one singular second round playoff game won... in 5 years, with 5 1st round picks traded.

If you're going to blame the core, Dubas is solely responsible for continuing to run it back. If you're going to blame the contracts, Dubas is solely responsible for signing them.

Reactions: TheGroceryStick

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Seriously.

I'm seeing a lot of Sens posters go from "LOL Dufas - You can never win with that core. Enjoy your first round exit" to "Please Dubas! Pick us!"

It's crazy.

I've never seen so much hype for a GM who inherited a playoff team, traded 5 1st round picks, and lost in the first round 4 times and won 1 game in the second round the 5th time.
Keep him away from the Sens.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I’m referring to the NHL/NHLPA itself. I was replying to someone who said Dubas was under investigation, which is he isnt, the agent is.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Seriously.

It's crazy.

GMs have more responsibilities than most here seem to think. He doesn't just make trades and choose the coach, you might be shocked to learn. And most of it the fans aren't able to see.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Seriously.

It's crazy.

I'd argue it's almost impossible to do a worse job than Dubas (based on results) with what he inherited. Seriously, he inherited a young playoff team - who had made the playoff 3 consecutive times before he was GM, including two back to back Game 7 losses.

He then traded 5 1st round picks in 5 years, and got one singular second round playoff game won... in 5 years, with 5 1st round picks traded.

If you're going to blame the core, Dubas is solely responsible for continuing to run it back. If you're going to blame the contracts, Dubas is solely responsible for signing them.

He had all the leverage when signing our RFA's, gave them ridiculous contracts, short term, with NMC. That's about as dumb as a decision as he could have possibly made. Especially based on what other players got. Those contracts are the biggest reason why this team has failed so far.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Seriously.

It's crazy.

I’m not making an argument for his track record but the bolded is lazy and disingenuous. Trading down 12 spots isn’t giving away a 1st and it ignores that he also added 2 1sts with the Kapanen and Sandin trades.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Step 1: Sign Crosby and Malkin to large extensions
Step 2: Sign hometown kid (Brandon Saad? Vinny Trochek?) to absurd contract despite not needing another forward while ignoring defense
Step 3: ???
Step 4: First round exit

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Congrats Pittsburgh, Dubas is a good not great GM, way better than the Hextall / Burke disaster.

Dubas has improved every year, he could keep improving and become great in future, we'll see.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I’m not making an argument for his track record but the bolded is lazy and disingenuous. Trading down 12 spots isn’t giving away a 1st and it ignores that he also added 2 1sts with the Kapanen and Sandin trades.

So trading away players he inherited for a 1st while trading a 1st balances it out? It's a net loss.

Trading down to give away a player he signed is definitely trading away a 1st. It's not like he traded down and got additional assets - he traded down to get rid of Mrazek, who he signed the same year.

Saying Dubas 'traded down' his first is lazy and disingenuous. He -had to- trade down with his 1st in order to clear the Mrazek contract... which he signed less than a year prior.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So trading away players he inherited for a 1st while trading a 1st balances it out? It's a net loss.

Trading down to give away a player he signed is definitely trading away a 1st. It's not like he traded down and got additional assets - he traded down to get rid of Mrazek, who he signed the same year.

Saying Dubas 'traded down' his first is lazy and disingenuous. He -had to- trade down with his 1st in order to clear the Mrazek contract... which he signed less than a year prior.

The net loss on Mrazek was 12 spots or whatever in a draft, not the complete loss of a 1st. He also drafted/traded for both Kapanen and Sandin, not sure who he inherited here.

The point is we didn’t move 5 firsts to rent a series of plugs, we moved 3 for Foligno, O’Rielly, and McCabe. This is normal for a competitive team other than Carolina. Losing a ~3rd or 4th round pick of value to dump Mrazek doesn’t really keep me up at night even if it was a bad sequence of events from the signing to the trade.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The net loss on Mrazek was 12 spots or whatever in a draft, not the complete loss of a 1st. He also drafted/traded for both Kapanen and Sandin, not sure who he inherited here.

The point is we didn’t move 5 firsts to rent a series of plugs, we moved 3 for Foligno, O’Rielly, and McCabe. This is normal for a competitive team other than Carolina. Losing a ~3rd or 4th round pick of value to dump Mrazek doesn’t really keep me up at night even if it was a bad sequence of events from the signing to the trade.

I mean, let's not ignore how many 2nd's he traded to dump bad contracts *he* signed.

Remember that Nick Ritchie guy? The Kadri for Barrie trade? Trading for David Rittich? Nick Foligno? Trading Mason Marchment? There's a long list of failures that lie solely on Dubas.

He had a competitive advantage in having ownership allow him to eat salary and trade away players he signed the same offseason and still made nothing of it. I think it'd be very difficult to make the case that another GM could have worse results than Dubas had as GM of the Leafs.

Last edited:

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Not impressed with Dubas, but don't hate his work either.

Seems like some Leafs fans are now trashing him after having previously gushed over him, while a few neutral fans are now trying to spin him as being great. Then, both sides make fun of the other for doing the exact same thing in reverse. Lol.

If you feel attacked, note the words "some" and "a few." If you still feel targeted... I guess the glove fits, though. :)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Lol swapping a first for a second rounder, just became a third or fourth, couple more pages should be a sixth or seventh rounder.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I mean, let's not ignore how many 2nd's he traded to dump bad contracts *he* signed.

Remember that Nick Ritchie guy? The Kadri for Barrie trade? Trading for David Rittich? Nick Foligno? Trading Mason Marchment? There's a long list of failures that lie solely on Dubas.

He had a competitive advantage in having ownership allow him to eat salary and trade away players he signed the same offseason and still made nothing of it. I think it'd be very difficult to make the case that another GM could have worse results than Dubas had as GM of the Leafs.

Again I’m not saying we should have kept him or anything but overdramatizing the results is funny.

There’s losing, and then there’s losing while also salting the earth for the future. Worst case scenario, the new GM can sell everything we have for a massive haul right now and do a fast tracked rebuild/retool. Trading the core for 30 year olds signed to massive retirement deals with NMCs would easily be worse than just losing the way we did, we’d be stuck in no man’s land for the majority of the next decade.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
A job is a job I guess but the Penguins aren’t where I’d go to freshen up my resume right now. Crosby and Malkin aren’t getting any younger and it’s likely the Penguins get a lot worse before they get better. GM is going to have to answer for it, fair or not.
Ownership is a greater variable for success than perceived "windows." I would rather go to a franchise with all the resources and infrastructure to build a competitive system than go to a team with young players but no infrastructure and unknown ownership.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

How many first round picked prospects are on the leafs roster or reserved list from dubas' entire tenure as GM.

One? Zero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad