Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Apparently Shanahan found out Dubas' next move was to replace Keefe with Leah Hextall.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Were really arguing which GM was worse? I'm glad that Bergevin is gone. Are you stockholm syndrome leaf fans glad the guy with one series win after a decade is gone? Or are you going to miss how he managed the cap so wonderfully while your team was the laughing stock of the league every single year?
Actually that post had nothing to do with the Leafs but project all you like lmao

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Yes it is.

I don't think it's accurate to call Auston Matthews "soft" but I have no doubt in my mind that Marner, Tavares and Nylander are.

It has nothing to do with regular season and post season. They are soft regardless of when the games are played.

Dubas has clearly undervalued players with toughness and grit and it has gravely hurt his team's chances of ever succeeding in the playoffs.
Being soft isn't the problem. It's the big 4s inability to produce during the post season is. Doesn't matter how much toughness you add, won't mean dick until they can figure it out and get going.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Correct me if I am wrong, but comparing the core he took over to today's core, he basically managed to trade Kadri, Kapanen, Johnson and 5 first rounders and a large amount of cap space for JT and McCabe. All that while not having any playoffs success.

All I can say is Yikes.
I have no horse in this race but come on, friend. At least try and be objective. This might be the most cherry picked list I’ve ever seen

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I see a lot of people saying that Toronto's failure is on the players, and not on Dubas. Blaming the players and not blaming Dubas.

But this makes no sense, because Dubas is to blame for Toronto having a bunch of soft heartless players.

It was very clear after the Montreal series in 2021 that the core was rotten and wasn't able to elevate its game.

Why did Dubas keep going back to the same core after the 2021 series against Montreal?

Changes should have been made to the core after 2021. It is Dubas' fault that this change didn't happen.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Friedman- Dubas wanted something to streamline the decisions as he felt it took too long, but it wasn't to remove Shanahan.

Dubas - Shanahan - to the board - to the owners and back.

Reactions: HofT

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Dubas getting fired is bad news for people that dislike the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Because an actual competent GM will make changes when it is obvious that changes need to be made.

Dubas stuck by a core of players that proved year after year that they weren't capable of winning consistently in the playoffs.

Blowing the 3-1 series lead against a mediocre Montreal Canadiens team was a very big red-flag as it relates to the core, and this should have been when Dubas started making changes to the core.

Instead, he kept being loyal to a core that was obviously broken.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I have no horse in this race but come on, friend. At least try and be objective. This might be the most cherry picked list I’ve ever seen

I'm looking at the core roster when he took over vs today's core roster. Did I miss any key player?

The rentals only played a role in the amazing TML playoff success, should we elaborate on that?

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
I mean Dubas said he was unsure if he wants to continue with his position and cited his family as the reason why. Then asked for a raise when renegotiating and for more power.

It's pretty obvious what the motivating factors were for him.

Yes, it's pretty obvious, like any normal human being, he wanted to make sure his compensation was worth the negative effects the job was having on his family life.

I don't get why this is grounds to fire him or even controversial.

Stop drinking the Kool aid.

Dubas' only mistake was thinking he had leverage over Shanahan.

• Love
Reactions: HofT

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Correct me if I am wrong, but comparing the core he took over to today's core, he basically managed to trade Kadri, Kapanen, Johnson and 5 first rounders and a large amount of cap space for JT and McCabe. All that while not having any playoffs success.

All I can say is Yikes.
It's so clear you have an agenda when you include Kapanen, the player we got back for him literally has brain cancer right now. How can you put that on Dubas

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I've just seen Spezza resigned before the press conference. Something smells funny to me. I have no particular love for Dubas but this sounds like Shanahan may well have buried Dubas to protect himself, which has pissed off others. If that is the case, they don't have to worry about the core leaving, there will be plenty of unhappy players and staff who want out.

A shake up is needed, but if this is a toxic environment as a result, good luck.
Nah, it’s just a bunch of butthurt Dubasites.

The cream of the Leafs staff will rise. The rest can follow Doobler to the unemployment line.

Siidekik

Feb 13, 2023
cjk.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: dukeofjive

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yes, it's pretty obvious, like any normal human being, he wanted to make sure his compensation was worth the negative effects the job was having on his family life.

I don't get why this is grounds to fire him or even controversial.

Stop drinking the Kool aid.

Dubas' only mistake was thinking he had leverage over Shanahan.

He was using the media with that drivel to try to gain sympathy and leverage to try and get more than he should. His family will hear and have heard stuff about him regardless how much money he makes, and if it was too bad for his family in recent times he could just quit the job. He had just come out of a meeting where they had a new contract lined up and then talked about needing to think about things to the media.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Pretty much this.

He was a decent gm, some could even argue above average/top tier but elite he was not. He did well in getting complimentary pieces but failed to identify what is rotten and make that big move to shake up the organisation when it was needed. Also, he held on much too long to Sheldon Keefe when it was clear for a while now that he would not be the one to take this team to the promise land.
Or, he was blocked doing that by Shanahan. Referencing the article on the Athletic by Mirtle.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
At the end of the day I truly think Shanahan didn't want Dubas back nor did Dubas really want to be here. He was most likely told you're back but need to fire Keefe and trade a core piece.

Best way to not do that?

Ask for more money and other concessions that you know you're not gonna get.

Case closed.

Also wanted to mention that going into the season as a lame duck coach or GM is never a good thing. Ego comes into it. I saw it with Trotz and the Caps and now with the Leafs and Dubas. I know Trotz won the Cup and then the narrative was that the Caps didn't want to pay him.

Truth was that Trotz already had decided during that season that he was slighted by the Caps by starting that season without a contract and nothing was bringing him back. Not even a Cup.

I know Dubas didn't win a Cup but never underestimate what pride and ego can do. On some levels I bet you he felt slighted and that friction between him and Shanahan was only getting worse.

I firmly believe that both sides wanted to part ways and did it in a way to save face and image.

• Haha
Reactions: Canadienna

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
And Leafs fans were saying at that time that Seravalli has no connection with the team and was just slinging mud….weeks ago.
Two different, independent insiders report the same thing but here we have some Leaf fans still coping and arguing otherwise. Sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad