Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
This is on dubas for signing JT
It wasn't needed and he has the same skill set as mathews marner and Nylander.
Skilled and soft.
JT was never worth his contract
Yeah and now we see declining 33 and 34 year old versions of Tavares getting 11M for the next two years. Value and production is only getting worse during that timespan.

Thanks Doobler.

Reactions: horner

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Guy said he was not sure he wanted to be back because of family reasons, then comes back saying he wants to be back but asks for more money?

What a poor, poor, poor negociation tactic.

Not surprised he got schooled on his core 4 deals negociations.
Posts like this are hilarious. Besides Tavares who signed as a UFA, do you actually consider nylander marner Matthews contracts bad? Cause if so that’s all I need to know

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Posts like this are hilarious. Besides Tavares who signed as a UFA, do you actually consider nylander marner Matthews contracts bad? Cause if so that’s all I need to know
Well, they're playing like 7.5 M guys in the playoffs and the Leafs biggest issue is, well, the playoffs. So, yeah, those signings are certainly non-optimal.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
1684677950004.png

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Marner and Matthews contracts aren’t currently bad as they’ve grown into them over the years but most other GMs would have been able to sign those young players to long term deals at a better value based on what they’d accomplished at the time. Dubas paid a higher price than even most Leaf fans were expecting.
Tavares is definitely a bad contract now but the hope was that they’d have won a Cup in the first few years of the contract. Dubas miscalculated on where his team was at and has to bear a lot of the blame.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
From the sounds of it, Dubas not surprisingly negotiated himself into a L. Considering the L's he took on signing the big 4, looks like he misread his value, and he is now unemployed. To think a guy who could have come back, was gifted a 105 pt young talented team with over $28M in capspace to make millions in a high profile GM position lost his job where only 32 exist due a lack of understanding his position of strength, is mind numbing. Dubas will likely land another job in hockey, but I doubt he will have a better position than he was 5+ years ago and if he had signed last week. Dubas misreading negotiations, is anyone surprised with his track record.

Last edited:

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I am looking forward to the endless list of potential trades Dubas could have made if it were not for Shanny's continual obstruction, being leaked to the media.

Buckle up.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
So are the fans not asking for shanny's head? He just walks away scott free because little dubas asked for too much money he's now a hero ?

It doesn't sound like it was just about money. For starters the Leafs shit the bed again, so the GM is already in the hotseat. Then in private and public he expresses concerns about being able to do this again. Then his agent sends a significantly different deal than what had been worked out.

So you've got a team who underachieved, a GM who doesn't sound too thrilled to start next season, and then springing a new contract.

It sounds like the conversations in private between the two were very different than what came out in the next few days via press conference, Dubas's agent, and emails to Shanahan.

horner

May 22, 2007
The Marner and Matthews contracts aren’t currently bad as they’ve grown into them over the years but most other GMs would have been able to sign those young players to long term deals at a better value based on what they’d accomplished at the time. Dubas paid a higher price than even most Leaf fans were expecting.
Tavares is definitely a bad contract now but the hope was that they’d have won a Cup in the first few years of the contract. Dubas miscalculated on where his team was at and has to bear a lot of the blame.
Dubas bet on the cap going up

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
It doesn't sound like it was just about money. For starters the Leafs shit the bed again, so the GM is already in the hotseat. Then in private and public he expresses concerns about being able to do this again. Then his agent sends a significantly different deal than what had been worked out.

So you've got a team who underachieved, a GM who doesn't sound too thrilled to start next season, and then springing a new contract.

It sounds like the conversations in private between the two were very different than what came out in the next few days via press conference, Dubas's agent, and emails to Shanahan.

Yeah. Totally fair take. This would also explain why Shanahan felt compelled to be detailed in his press conference with respect to the timeline. To be clear, I don't like how this was handled by either side, but it definitely sounds like there were some potentially sharper private conversations we do not have the whole story on.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah. Totally fair take. This would also explain why Shanahan felt compelled to be detailed in his press conference with respect to the timeline. To be clear, I don't like how this was handled by either side, but it definitely sounds like there were some potentially sharper private conversations we do not have the whole story on.
Now it's sounding like there's long running tensions between the two (at least new to me because I don't follow the Leafs). It's just hard to know from the outside if it's normal professional disagreements that are part of the business or if it's something more dysfunctional.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Now it's sounding like there's long running tensions between the two (at least new to me because I don't follow the Leafs). It's just hard to know from the outside if it's normal professional disagreements that are part of the business or if it's something more dysfunctional.

Yeah, there have been rumours about that and potentially blocked trades, but it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. We did see far less of Shanahan this year in the box with Dubas, but I don't know how much can be read into that, if anything.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

l agree. We'll likely never know the full details, but there had to be a good reason for Shanahan's about face. There are certain lines you don't cross with your employer.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Guy said he was not sure he wanted to be back because of family reasons, then comes back saying he wants to be back but asks for more money?

What a poor, poor, poor negociation tactic.

Not surprised he got schooled on his core 4 deals negociations.

Agreed. Dubas created this drama, when it was about money. Nothing wrong to want more, no problem. But this oh woes me and my poor family oh me oh my. Playing off the media and public, games with Shanahan. Lol. High school level drama. Wow, Leafs should be happy this guy is gone after this display.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Agreed. Dubas created this drama, when it was about money. Nothing wrong to want more, no problem. But this oh woes me and my poor family oh me oh my. Playing off the media and public, games with Shanahan. Lol. High school level drama. Wow, Leafs should be happy this guy is gone after this display.

lt's common sense. lf l pulled a power trip on my employer, it wouldn't end well. He found out the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad