Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
I don’t think Shanahan makes a franchise altering move like that just because Dubas asked for a raise, that seems short sighted. If you think Dubas can do the job, then you give him the raise or negotiate down. Ultimately this seems like he doesn’t think Dubas can do the job of getting this team over the hump, and his salary ask was the perfect opportunity to dump him.
I feel like one party wanted to rebuild, and one party wanted to stay the course and continue building around Matthews. I don't know which party holds which view, but I would guess that is the divide leading to this decision.

I guess we will find out if and when the Leafs start blowing the core up.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
What the hell are you talking about?

When did I even broach the topic of analytics?
You didn't really. But I was arguing with a different poster pushing that narrative, and you jumped in.

And you jumped in to counter an argument that I wasn't making.

One less point than Matthews then 5 on 5.
And?

The Leafs Core Four wasn't good enough in the playoffs. This isn't some kind of gotcha.

Neither was Hyman.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
He and Dubas were close

Wish it was Shanahan that MLSE threw out.
You know Dubas refused to give Marner 8x8?
I can’t believe they wanted him back
Just look at cap geek. How is this team better off than the first season he took over?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Well obviously, but the guy I quoted seemed mad at Dubas asking for more on his contract. If people want to be mad at the tactics he used, ok sure, it is a funny case of when keeping it real goes wrong, but like some people here seem to think just cause they'd do a job in hockey for peanuts, others should too lol

Performance means nothing, I'm dumb and lazy and awful at my job, I still ask for more money, cause it usually gets you more lol
If bosses had a more winners mentality, they would fire you for being lazy and awful AND entitled enough to ask for more.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Well obviously, but the guy I quoted seemed mad at Dubas asking for more on his contract. If people want to be mad at the tactics he used, ok sure, it is a funny case of when keeping it real goes wrong, but like some people here seem to think just cause they'd do a job in hockey for peanuts, others should too lol

Performance means nothing, I'm dumb and lazy and awful at my job, I still ask for more money, cause it usually gets you more lol
I think it’s a lot more the way he went about things. But the money is part of it too and it sounds like that had already been discussed (and he was almost certainly getting a notable raise). Then he started playing stupid games to get even more with the press conference. And Shanahan wasn’t having that.

And despite Dubas talking about trading a break the other day there’s no way in hell this is the result he wanted. Definitely didn’t go about things the right from the looks of it and may have been being too greedy given he hadn’t exactly achieved what had been hoped given how good of a team he was given. But that last part is hard to judge without knowing the numbers being offered and countered.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Dubas is where he at because he doesn't have this loser mentality lol... I never understood the hate for asking to get paid more

NHL/hockey is just a job, don't put it on a pedestal
He was born into the hockey circle, don't try pretend he pulled himself up by the bootstraps to become a player agent at age 24. He knew someone who knew someone.

f*** outta here with "loser mentality" Kid was born with a silver spoon in his mouth

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
If bosses had a more winners mentality, they would fire you for being lazy and awful AND entitled enough to ask for more.

yeah but fortunately they don't they got the typical loser mentality while I'm like the neighborhood kingpin pimping all these bitches lol

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
So multiple insiders have pretty much said Pittsburgh is going to give him a blank check and full control if he wants the job

I'd wait if I was him. Who wants that job the team is too old and ownership says no to changes to the core. If the rumor is true I hold out for the Sens sale and hope the Sens underperform and Pierre is fired by new ownership and go there. Young team on the upswing, all their assets and a good prospect pool

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
what was spezzas role?

He was essentially an understudy of Dubas/the org. I guess he was special assistant to the GM or something. Not sure his official role but he was always with Dubas in the press box. Him leaving is a huge f*** you to Shanny. He wanted to be here and win as a Leaf even if it was off the ice.

Reactions: Vegeta

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
He was born into the hockey circle, don't try pretend he pulled himself up by the bootstraps to become a player agent at age 24. He knew someone who knew someone.

f*** outta here with "loser mentality" Kid was born with a silver spoon in his mouth

Well yes, a ton of people have the same sort of connections and everything and can't leverage them, the world is unfair. Again, you gonna hate for someone trying to get theirs? From an entity so rich like the Maple Leafs too lol, says way more about your character than Dubas. Keep hating.

I think it’s a lot more the way he went about things. But the money is part of it too and it sounds like that had already been discussed (and he was almost certainly getting a notable raise). Then he started playing stupid games to get even more with the press conference. And Shanahan wasn’t having that.

And despite Dubas talking about trading a break the other day there’s no way in hell this is the result he wanted. Definitely didn’t go about things the right from the looks of it and may have been being too greedy given he hadn’t exactly achieved what had been hoped given how good of a team he was given. But that last part is hard to judge without knowing the numbers being offered and countered.

This is true lol

1684533874904.png

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He and Dubas were close

Wish it was Shanahan that MLSE threw out.

Why ? Not like he stopped Dubas from doing what he wanted, Dubas made every move and signing he thought was appropriate. Had Shanahan taken control or made some sort of questionable calls sure, but why would you want him fired ?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Man, Brendan Shanahan gives more detail in one presser than Yzerman has in all his Red Wings GM pressers combined...

It's those details that make it seem like a succinctly professional burial...

Stood out to me how important it seemed for him to lay out specifics of how they were in contact. Noted multiple times that he would approach Dubas at his office at the Ford Performance Center, while making sure to explain that Dubas approach was through his agent and then ultimately an email "just before dinner time".

And he absolutely squashed the whole "especially taxing season for my family" in the nicest way possible.

If you go backwards from the supper time email, it almost seems like Shanahan didn't appreciate that a guy whose job is to negotiate contract/pay/terms/etc. with personnel couldn't just come out and say that he was looking for more money when he was given the opportunity.

But at the end of the day, Dubas really just dug his own grave. Made his big play on Monday like the ball was in his court to decide whether he and his legendary 1 playoff series win wanted to come back and work this job that's just so taxing for him and his family. Shanahan turned around and said, "Well I guess if it's so difficult for you, maybe it'll be easier if you just don't have to do it anymore."

I wouldn't exactly bet on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL old boys club ends up viewing Dubas like the last failed Boy Wonder GM (John Chayka) instead of some hot commodity that should be at the top of the list for vacant GM roles.

And how stupid is Dubas going to look if he ends up hired in one of the vacant GM roles after he said it was Toronto or no where, and have to uproot and relocate his family after they had such a taxing year.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I'd wait if I was him. Who wants that job the team is too old and ownership says no to changes to the core. If the rumor is true I hold out for the Sens sale and hope the Sens underperform and Pierre is fired by new ownership and go there. Young team on the upswing, all their assets and a good prospect pool

That could be a good one in ottawa

I just know Servalli, Johnston and Friedman have all said that news Pittsburgh group (I believe the Fenway group) likes him a lot and they would pursue him very aggressively

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad