Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Imagine being hired to one of the most influential positions in hockey at the ripe old age of 29, inheriting one of the most talented cores in the history of your franchise, spinning your wheels for nearly a decade and then having the audacity to try and play hardball when its time to re negotiate your contract.

The entitlement sickens me.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
So you mean Dubas and his agent were negotiating with the Leafs on a contract extension?

The nerve of Dubas!!!
We can read between the lines about power grab, or whether or not the money became the issue. Shanahan said he thought they had a deal on Sunday, told Dubas not to talk to the media, Dubas did anyway, and told the media he doesn't know if he will come back. That gives Shanahan doubts. he then doesn't hear from Dubas for two days. Then the counter offer for more money. Shanahan said there was a significant gap in pay, but he had already changed his thinking on Dubas as gm.

Reactions: hacksaw7

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
If Shanahan was being truthful today, basically, when Dubas cried to the media that he might not be back, and then vanished on Shanahan for two days, Shanahan envisioned a world without Dubas as GM, and liked it better. I think the counter offer probably gave him one more big reason to let go.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Money is 100% not the issue, MLSE is rolling in cash. Sounds like they really didn't like what he said at the press conference.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
toronto loses their best GM they've had in the last 5 decades, yikes.
I don't think he was bad at all. He surrounded the top players with some good talent and depth players. The problem is the core. Plain and simple. You can surround them with everything you need but if they aren't going to show up when it matters no GM can help. And that's a fact.

Reactions: Vegeta

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
There isn't a better GM available than Dubas, and if he wants an experienced GM with a cup win I am not sure there are any names....

Draft is in a few weeks and Matthews and Nylander no moves kick in July 1st btw. Honestly incompetence like the Leafs of old I haven't seen in some time.

Reactions: Woodrow

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Imagine being hired to one of the most influential positions in hockey at the ripe old age of 29, inheriting one of the most talented cores in the history of your franchise, spinning your wheels for nearly a decade and then having the audacity to try and play hardball when its time to re negotiate your contract.

Dubas is where he at because he doesn't have this loser mentality lol... I never understood the hate for asking to get paid more

NHL/hockey is just a job, don't put it on a pedestal

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Firstly, I listed a few, but I see you're looking specifically for transactions, not where he(Dubas) went against the opinion of others.

Trading good assets, whether 1st round picks, or good prospect is seen as going all in to a degree and this year teams went crazy.

Keeping the core four together, when they should have been dealt at the latest of last off season is.

Keeping Keefe, who should have been gone easily at the end of last season is another.

Neither one of those are "transactions", so I'm guessing that means they don't count.

Trading Mason Marchement, who was showing well that season in the AHL for Denis Malgin was a "smartest man in the room", or just plain stupidity. A player you need, who would look good in the bottom 6 was dealt for another soft player your deal had absolutely no use for.

Trading for Matt Murray, a player everyone knew sucked and barely made Ottawa pay is a "I'm the smartest man in the room" move.

Dubas had to make the move of dealing a 1st (Seth Jarvis) to rid themselves of Marleau because of the cap.

Looks worse now, but keeping Kerfoot over McCann

Traded for Rittich, which is likely more just a bad move overall, so I wouldn't say that's the smartest guy in the room deal, but it's just a bad one, but doesn't hurt as he wasn't expected to be the main, or one of the main goalies.

Signed Petr Mrazek, who everyone knew wasn't that good and injure prone, cost the Leafs and cost them to move back in the draft.

He signed and later traded Matt Martin because of cap issues and due to those cap issues, brought in and kept Kyle Clifford.

Tavares signing wasn't really a "smartest guy in the room" move, but a lot of people questioned if the Leafs actually needed him and the answer seems to be a very strong no.

Just because other teams were gunning for him, doesn't mean it's a good move.

Not entirely sure if it would have happened, but the Leafs might have been able to acquire Lindholm and sign him instead of having Tavares.
- Marchment was a nothing player at the time. An AHLer. Yeah, it was a bad move in hindsight. But no one predicted how it would turn out. He just swapped him with another body.
- Murray isn't a "smartest man in the room" move. It was a nepotism move. An Old Boy's move. Classic conventional GMing to acquire a washed-up guy he used to like. The analytics team probably hated it.
- Rittich was just for goaltending depth. It's a weird trade to even list here.
- Mrazek was pretty good for Carolina, though everyone knew he was injury prone. It is categorically false "everyone knew he wasn't good".
- It was Lamiorello who saddled the Leafs with the Marleau contract. They had to get out of it. The 1st was the price. This isn't a "smartest man in the room" deal. It's a cap dump. Like how Ottawa had to pay this season to get out of the rest of Zaitsev's deal.
- Again, it wasn't Dubas who acquired Martin. It was Lamiorello. Martin's contract was inefficient and Dubas had to clear it for cap space. Same situation as above.

None of these reasons you've given for these deals, still, do not have any string of underlying coherence. Worse, you have no credibility because you aren't even aware of which GM made some of these moves in the first place.

The only move that even makes sense with the "smartest guy in the room" narrative is protecting Holl over Kerfoot/McCann. This was a big fumble that backfired.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I think you guys give way too much credit to what Shanahan says.
I mean not really unless you think he’s just completely making up stuff that happened. But regardless that Dubas press conference acting like he might just take a break sounded like a load of bs and makes Shanahan’s version more believable.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Stupid teams always overpay big name UFAs.

You left out a word.
Yeah. There are a lot of stupid teams. We see them every summer.

Dubas is not unique in that regard, which is what some people are trying to argue: that it was his commitment to analytics (or something or other) or trying to be the "smartest guy in the room" that led him to making the same mistakes most other GMs make.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer

it's the team culture he created.

we are team entitled. followed by team tiktok and team milk.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Dubas is where he at because he doesn't have this loser mentality lol... I never understood the hate for asking to get paid more

NHL/hockey is just a job, don't put it on a pedestal
Jeez man are you not following. Asking for more money on the leafs original offer is far from the only part of this.

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Jeez man are you not following. Asking for more money on the leafs original offer is far from the only part of this.

Well obviously, but the guy I quoted seemed mad at Dubas asking for more on his contract. If people want to be mad at the tactics he used, ok sure, it is a funny case of when keeping it real goes wrong, but like some people here seem to think just cause they'd do a job in hockey for peanuts, others should too lol

Performance means nothing, I'm dumb and lazy and awful at my job, I still ask for more money, cause it usually gets you more lol

Reactions: Ted Hoffman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad