Confirmed with Link: Kris Russell Signed for 4 years @ 4M per

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Huh?

I thought the deal escapable after year 2, but the bonus works in such a way that his deal is going to be unattractive to the poor teams that would like high-cap/low-dollar contracts. They aren't going to want to pay that bonus. So he's only really movable after July 1, 2020.

If they want the player to play for them for both years, paying him $1M July 1st rather than breaking it down weekly through the year isn't going to be a deal breaker.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Flexibility in year 4 is nice I guess. I would still like him to be tradeable after year 1, so I'll wait on the NTC details

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Just watch him play and ask yourself how and why he ends up blocking so many shots. When you really break down his game its easy to see that his decision making is a large part of why he has to block so many shots.

LOL...Jack Micheals thinks he gives 18 mistake free minutes a game. :laugh:

I did watch him play guy, why do you think I'm voicing my opinion on the matter despite him being flawed? His shot blocking comes from tremendous anticipation. When it comes to clearing or moving the puck, he's very average in those areas but many here are just waiting to call him out for it even if it's the safe play.

Don't forget you break down games as a hobby. Has anyone seen the value in what you do yet?

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I don't mind it all all. I'd rather complain about some of the faults of his game occasionally then see Nurse and Benning get thrusted into a role they aren't ready for and get completely exposed.

He may not be the ideal option but he's a very legit #4.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
If they want the player to play for them for both years, paying him $1M July 1st rather than breaking it down weekly through the year isn't going to be a deal breaker.

The teams that would like the structure of that deal are the ones who would consider 1M in non-cap dollars to be a deal breaker.

Real money matters more than anything to the Carolina's of the league.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'll be interested to see if he keeps up his rather odd PDO numbers.

Given the nature of how PDO works, you'd expect some level of regression to the mean, but the man just keeps on chugging along at >100 PDO.

I tried to some find some correlation between high PDO and "elite" shot blocking, but couldn't find any.

He's just either extremely lucky most of the time, or some part of his game which cannot contextually be accounted for yet in the numbers contributes to it.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
That's the idea. But Russell is also going to have a modified NTC. And the teams that are in a position to add big cap, but low salary are usually bad teams and unlikely to be on his list.
He'll have two Cups by then. He can take it easy in year four on a crappy team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I did watch him play guy, why do you think I'm voicing my opinion on the matter despite him being flawed? His shot blocking comes from tremendous anticipation. When it comes to clearing or moving the puck, he's very average in those areas but many here are just waiting to call him out for it even if it's the safe play.

Don't forget you break down games as a hobby. Has anyone seen the value in what you do yet?

He is very good at recovering from his own poor decision making.

I'll give you that.

And yeah...I guess I have a lot of nerve questioning the decision making of management.

We should all be the kind of fan that doesn't question anything. :help:

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I really don't think we should have given a NMC considering Sekera has one too I believe. We are pretty much locked into a Sekera/Russell 2nd pairing for the next couple of years. Chia has pretty much handcuffed our ability to improve our D now.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I really don't think we should have given a NMC considering Sekera has one too I believe. We are pretty much locked into a Sekera/Russell 2nd pairing for the next couple of years. Chia has pretty much handcuffed our ability to improve our D now.
NTC is for the last two years. I don't think Russell has one for the first two.

Sup

Oct 13, 2016
Our penalty kill is great with russel. I like the signing, he's a good player in my opinion. Not every player has to be a sexy offensive dman who makes breakout passes blind folded. Other teams wanted Russel for a reason, he's damn good and he's relentless with his shot blocking.

What's with all the hate lol?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
The term is slightly gross but if Russell doesn't decline (I don't think he will), this contract should be movable without much or any issue if there is a team looking for D.

Russell is a valuable guy, he plays the gross minutes (ES and PK ice-time slave) and this allows our other defencemen to excel. It's no coincidence Sekera had a great year with Russell as his partner.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The teams that would like the structure of that deal are the ones who would consider 1M in non-cap dollars to be a deal breaker.

Real money matters more than anything to the Carolina's of the league.

It's still cap dollars whether bonus or not. It's just when it paid. If I'm understanding the deal correctly, his payment will go like this:

17-18 - $2M on July 1st, $3M paid regularly
18-19 - $4.5M paid regularly
19-20 - $4M paid regularly
20-21 - $1M July 1st, the remaining $1.5M paid regularly.

A team willing to acquire him in summer 2019 wouldn't care about that bonus. However, a team acquiring him summer 2020 would want to wait until July 1st to save some money. That's all there is.

Last edited:

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015
Are people forgetting that he was a top 4 D for us on a team that had the 8th best record in the league last year?? A team that was one or two Eberle goals for making the west finals??

Do people think that Chia did this all on his own? I'm sure the coach had input on this too.

And the contract is also super movable. The hate blinders are stupidly strong with some on this board.

BTW the Eberle trade cleared up money for Drai. The Khaira deal and not signing Hendricks cleared up the money for this.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Are people forgetting that he was a top 4 D for us on a team that had the 8th best record in the league last year?? A team that was one or two Eberle goals for making the west finals??

Do people think that Chia did this all on his own? I'm sure the coach had input on this too.

And the contract is also super movable. The hate blinders are stupidly strong with some on this board.

BTW the Eberle trade cleared up money for Drai. The Khaira deal and not signing Hendricks cleared up the money for this.

The problem is that the defense is no better than it was last year and with questionable health in Sekera it's concerning. The Ducks toyed with our defense for long stretches and their back end is far superior to ours.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
It's still cap dollars whether bonus or not. It's just when it paid. If I'm understanding the deal correctly, his payment will go like this:

17-18 - $5M paid regularly
18-19 - $4.5M paid regularly
19-20 - $4M paid regularly
20-21 - $1M July 1st, the remaining $1.5M paid regularly.

A team willing to acquire him in summer 2019 wouldn't care about that bonus. However, a team acquiring him summer 2020 would want to wait until July 1st to save some money. That's all there is.

Teams like Carolina like higher cap dollars/lower real dollars because of how they budget.

If the bonus were paid in YR2 and his YR4 salary were simply 1.5M, we could probably entice one of these teams to take his deal before his NTC kicks in 2019. I think it's at least more difficult if they need to pay it out.

Either way the deal is more palatable than just straight 4x4, but it's less escapable than I thought it was upon first reading.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Teams like Carolina like higher cap dollars/lower real dollars because of how they budget.

If the bonus were paid in YR2 and his YR4 salary were simply 1.5M, we could probably entice one of these teams to take his deal before his NTC kicks in 2019. I think it's at least more difficult if they need to pay it out.

Either way the deal is more palatable than just straight 4x4, but it's less escapable than I thought it was upon first reading.

The salary can only drop to 50% of the max salary he's paid over the contract, so that's why the bonus has to be in year 4. If they were to just have bonuses in Y1 and Y2 his salary in Y4 would have to be $2.5M. This format makes him very tradable in July 2020.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I don't mind it all all. I'd rather complain about some of the faults of his game occasionally then see Nurse and Benning get thrusted into a role they aren't ready for and get completely exposed.

He may not be the ideal option but he's a very legit #4.

This pretty much. Clearly going with what we know and have some big expectations for Nurse/Benning

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The structure of this deal works reasonably well for the Oilers. The only year that is a lock is this year. After that there are ways to move him. Even at the end of this year.

There is no NTC up to June 30th of the second year and the front loading helps. By the end of June in 2019 the Oilers will have paid $9.5M of his $16M deal. They can flip him to a team with budget issues at a cost of just $3.25M per year. They could even eat 25% of the deal to make it even more attractive. In the last year they could trade him on July 2nd and the cost to the team that gets him will be only $1.5M.

While no one will be partying in the streets over this one it is clear that it is structured with a short term mindset if better opportunities come up.

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015
The problem is that the defense is no better than it was last year and with questionable health in Sekera it's concerning. The Ducks toyed with our defense for long stretches and their back end is far superior to ours.

Not going to completely disagree. But keep in mind that Nurse and Benning should improve this season and we were pretty banged up. I would fully expect Chia to find a better number 7 on a 1 year deal to improve depth. If we resign Gryba I will be a bit concerned. But overall I'm happy with it.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I agree that would be better, but your example wouldn't be a legal contract per the CBA.
For all "Front-Loaded SPCs" (as defined below), the difference between the stated Player Salary and Bonuses in any immediately adjacent League Years of that SPC cannot exceed thirty-five (35) percent of the stated Player Salary and Bonuses of the first League Year of such Front-Loaded SPC. Additionally, under no circumstances may the stated Player Salary and Bonuses in any League Year of a Front-Loaded SPC be less than fifty (50) percent of the highest stated Player Salary and Bonuses in a League Year of that same Front-Loaded SPC

In essence this says his annual salary (combined salary + bonus) cannot be less than half of the highest year or drop more than 35% of the first year in any given year. Half of $5M is $2.5. Assuming Kris' number needed to be $16M over 4 years, this is about as good as they could have done short of giving him 5 in Year 2 and $3.5 in year 3 or making the signing bonus in Year 3, but then that would have impacted their ability to trade pre-July 1st while still having no limitation on who he can be traded to.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad