Confirmed with Link: Kris Russell Signed for 4 years @ 4M per

o98

Feb 26, 2003
Edmonton, Alberta
Ference was fitter at age 36 than Russell has ever been. Fayne is only 30 and is already washed up. 4yrs is way too long no matter what way you slice it. Sekera is going to be a boat anchor contract for us in a couple years as well.

Some good all that "fitness" did. Ference played like **** from the minute he arrived here. Fitness doesn't mean a goddamn thing if you're old and not committed.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Why the hell couldnt they get hjmarlsson???

Chiarelli cant make a single defensive trade where he wins one.

Pathetic a 13 year old GM is able to execute better then he is.
Because the Oilers couldn't offer what Arizona did.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Chia needs a slap on the side of the head if this is true.
These are the type of deals that absolutely kill you cap long-term.
We're risking the long-term quality of this team for Russell? Be better Chia, don't screw the cap up like you did with Boston.
were now boston 2.0:shakehead

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
There's no way Russell is going to be here in four years, even if that's what he's getting. We may have to take a loss on that trade in the future, but he wanted certainty in terms of eh... term for the first time in his career. I'm not thrilled by the signing, but he is what he is. I liked him in spurts last season, not so much at other times.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
This D-Corps with Gryba and Oesterle as 6/7 is only approx $22M. Add a small stopgap, and we're sitting at $24M? How is this destroying our cap? You guys are so dramatic.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
This D-Corps with Gryba and Oesterle as 6/7 is only approx $22M. Add a small stopgap, and we're sitting at $24M? How is this destroying our cap? You guys are so dramatic.

Like I said before, not a fan of this contract, but holy crap are you right.

It's really time to leave the boards for the summer soon.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Oilers better solidly make the playoffs next season and look like a team that has a legitimate chance to win the Cup. These moves look really bad from where I sit.

Thankfully where I sit is an office chair, and no background in running an NHL team. Chiarelli has built cup winning teams before and his results with the Oilers so far have been excellent.

I just really don't like what he's done this offseason so far. Guess we'll see what happens!

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Like I said before, not a fan of this contract, but holy crap are you right.

It's really time to leave the boards for the summer soon.

Totally agree we came this close to making it to the conference finals, dealt away the player that 99% of the board wanted gone. Resigned a player who was a valuable part of our top 4 D. Now the sky is falling and the regular chicken little posters are losing their **** all over the place.

Who gives a crap what the mains say. The hey mocked the Hall deal for months, they mocked us getting Chia. Now that McDavid swept the awards and we are the most dangerous young team in the west the hate will be coming from every direction, even from some of our own self loathing fans it seems.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
lmao terrible. I'll wait and see how the team plays next year because the huge jump in success last season calls for some patience, but man. Not pleased with the off-season so far.

Gave him a NTC too, perfect. So it'll be even harder to pawn him off when he's useless.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

While I agree with you, I think the concern is that in three years our D looks like this

Klefbom ($4.17M) XXX
XXX. Larsson ($4.17M)
Sekera ($5M) Russell ($4M)

So we have to be concerned about the ability to ice a competitive group when Sekera and Russel become highly paid, veteran, bottom pairing guys.

I think we are fine as long as one of Nurse or Russel are filling the 2nd pairing role admirably, but if they are just "getting by" then we're going to have felt the need to spring for a pricey UFA sometime in the next two years and then things get more difficult.

Pinnerdink

Sep 19, 2007
Edmonton
That's awesome that we used any leverage of being an up-and-coming contender, with the best player in the league, best arena, IN HIS HOMETOWN...where he wanted to sign...with a player that had to wait out all of free agency last year for a one year contract...in a year where he barely plays to that contract...to sign him to the absolute most he could ever ask for.

Sigh

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
How does Chia sell McDavid and Drai on taking discounts so we can compete when he throws away money like this?

Not against signing Russel but we are giving him money term and certainty (NTC), did we even negotiate on this deal?

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
If the contract is front loaded then its likely the buyout wouldn't be too bad if it came to that. Don't love the deal, but would seem to me like the alternatives were not popular with management

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Chiarelli was a bad hire. Yes last year was great and all, and we'll be good next season too ... but I think there were a number of GMs that could've done something similar with smarter moves than this.

On top of that he boned us on the Dougie Hamilton situation where we could've gotten a right shot D for the same price as Griffin Reinhart because of his history with Boston.

I regret that we gave this guy the GM spot. He's not all bad (Talbot and Maroon deals were good but Slats did us a favour on Talbs), but this isn't good enough IMO.

You can't be giving out deals like this, we are going to be forced to dump a ton of salary between Lucic and Russell in about 3 years time and probably going to have to pay out the ass for it to happen then.

I think Chiarelli's rep with the people he's negotiating with has been in the sewer since he got taken to the cleaners for Seguin too. No one bends in deals with Chia.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I kind of wish we could of found a stop-gap LD option instead. Russell will keep one of Nurse/Benning down on the depth chart this coming season. But for the three seasons left in his deal? I feel like both Nurse and Benning will be better than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,500.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $700.00