Confirmed with Link: Kris Russell Signed for 4 years @ 4M per

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Only in Edmonton does your team go from perennial loser to the second round and your fanbase thinks you are doing a poor job.

Why frame this as an all or nothing scenario? Why is it a problem for you and others if some critically thinking fans decide to analyze individual decisions?

Comments like your post dont make a lot of sense to me.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
Totally agree we came this close to making it to the conference finals, dealt away the player that 99% of the board wanted gone. Resigned a player who was a valuable part of our top 4 D. Now the sky is falling and the regular chicken little posters are losing their **** all over the place.

Who gives a crap what the mains say. The hey mocked the Hall deal for months, they mocked us getting Chia. Now that McDavid swept the awards and we are the most dangerous young team in the west the hate will be coming from every direction, even from some of our own self loathing fans it seems.

I would venture to say the mains are more rational than HFOil this last week. Unreadable garbage some of this
How is Russell bad? Guy was steady all season and playoffs. Of course he's not perfect but he's miles ahead of Ference in every category but "leadership" and so called toughness when he signed here. Who else was available at 4x4?
And the Chia hate is amazing. Almost like we forgot where we were a month ago. The guy seems to know what he's doing if you ask me. The Tambo and MacT ptsd around here is insanity!

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Why frame this as an all or nothing scenario? Why is it a problem for you and others if some critically thinking fans decide to analyze individual decisions?

Comments like your post dont make a lot of sense to me.

I have not done what you are accusing me of. Good day.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I would venture to say the mains are more rational than HFOil this last week. Unreadable garbage some of this
How is Russell bad? Guy was steady all season and playoffs. Of course he's not perfect but he's miles ahead of Ference in every category but "leadership" and so called toughness when he signed here. Who else was available at 4x4?
And the Chia hate is amazing. Almost like we forgot where we were a month ago. The guy seems to know what he's doing if you ask me. The Tambo and MacT ptsd around here is insanity!

As someone who admittedly liked Ference more than the vast majority, I have to disagree. That said, I have no problem with the deal.

83to48

May 6, 2007
On The Halfboards
Not happy at all with the term. 2 years sure but 4 is just silly. I know every player has there flaws but seriously Russel is so one dimensional it hurts. This is a player that is the very definition of a bottom pair defenceman. I love his compete and work ethic but too many times have I watched the cycle game of bigger teams just work over Russel and Sekera. He doesn't bring much outside of his own zone and even then he is shaky at times. Needs to be a better puck mover if we are gonna go all the way.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Meh, a year longer and a little more than I would have liked but I'm good with Russell on our team.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
Pretty sure the 4th year was a team option. Allowed them to pay him more now. The last year carries a 2.5M salary, but 1M of that is a signing bonus. So a team would be paying 1.5M for a 4M cap hit. Even if he's hot garbage, someone will look at the economics and take that.

The 3rd year might be problematic, but if he's even decent in year 1 and 2, that's the cost of doing business.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have not done what you are accusing me of. Good day.

Well your broad strokes painted all Oilers fans that dont like this deal with the same brush. What exactly were you trying to accomplish?

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
As much as people hate the deal it's not horrible. He was a top 4 D on a top 8 team last year and he's a 30 year old UFA. Did you really expect him to sign for 2 years 3 million?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah off the "Happy With Chiarelli" train, this one of the last straw.

Legit wish we did not hire him, yes last year was good but a number of competent GMs could have gotten a similar result with McDavid + Draisaitl + Sather gifting them Talbot.

Making a nice move for Maroon (who we're going to lose in a year for nothing) doesn't offset the bad ones or several deals in which we are assuming all the risk.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
With no Sekera to hold his hand next season, combined with an on-ice SV% that will most likely regress, it will become apparent even for slowest kid in class that Kris Russell is not a good option as a top 4 d-man.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
its times like this i wish i were a leafs fan

Then be a Leafs fan!

Jeez. In this day and age, you can watch any game you want online and you can be a fan of any team you like.

The fact that it's front loaded makes it easier to move at the end of the deal. They kind of need Russell with Sekera out. He's a big leader on this team and he's probably going to get Eberle's "A".

I don't love the deal, but I don't think this is Nikitin or Ference all over again. I'm certainly not ready to be a Leafs fan!

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
As if the 4 year term wasnt bad enough...Chiarelli relents to tying his own hands on moving the player after 2 years.

F***ing brilliant if ture. :shakehead

I don't think this is a big deal to be honest.

Someone will take him via trade if they can add a 4M cap hit for only 1.5M in real dollars. Maybe we'll have to give up a small asset to get someone to do that, but there are lots of historical examples.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
As much as people hate the deal it's not horrible. He was a top 4 D on a top 8 team last year and he's a 30 year old UFA. Did you really expect him to sign for 2 years 3 million?

Russell is not a top 4 Dman on a good team. Thats a large part of the problem.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Yeah off the "Happy With Chiarelli" train, this one of the last straw.

Legit wish we did not hire him, yes last year was good but a number of competent GMs could have gotten a similar result with McDavid + Draisaitl + Sather gifting them Talbot.

Making a nice move for Maroon (who we're going to lose in a year for nothing) doesn't offset the bad ones or several deals in which we are assuming all the risk.

HAHA. Love this.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Lol Oiler fans, we re-sign a top 4 dman and everyone's upset.

But but he's not a top four dman, he only plays top four minutes.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Someone will take him via trade if they can add a 4M cap hit for only 1.5M in real dollars. Maybe we'll have to give up a small asset to get someone to do that, but there are lots of historical examples.

Here's hoping.
I dont like this deal at all. $4M and 4 years for a soon to be declining bottom pairing dman is not a smart hockey move.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Well your broad strokes painted all Oilers fans that dont like this deal with the same brush. What exactly were you trying to accomplish?

Not trying to accomplish anything. The fact that we are all here discussing hockey trades on the internet on a Friday morning means that most of us are accomplishing very little currently.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

There is absolutely zero guarantee someone will take him when he's older and worse.

We said this about Pouliot and Fayne and they're STILL HERE. And if they're still here after tonight then we won't be getting rid of them.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Russell is not a top 4 Dman on a good team. Thats a large part of the problem.

We were a good team last year. Russell was a top 4 Dman.

Look at Pittsburgh's defence... Russell would've been a top 4 easily

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad