Confirmed with Link: Kris Russell Signed for 4 years @ 4M per

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Besides Shattenkirk (who isn't signing here), who is a better UFA dman?

I mean, man, you're right!

Better give a third pairing defenseman 4M per for the next forever. There are no other options and there won't be in the next half decade.

Feb 9, 2013
sadly after the Strome trade we dont have to wait for things to be official to freak out.
Media insiders seems to be on their game this year.

I guess we will see... everything up until the announcement is just speculation - including the tweet by some dude out of Montreal.

(And, I don't see the Strome trade as a reason to freak out... I am actually happy Eberle is gone.)

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Russell had a better first year with the Oilers than Sekera did. The guy also jumped in without a training camp and played his opposite side.

Hopefully he can continue to progress with this team and get those offensive numbers back up to where he had them in the past.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta

Better give a third pairing defenseman 4M per for the next forever. There are no other options and there won't be in the next half decade.

Last time he was used in a third pairing was five years ago. Time to do a systems update bud.

Feb 9, 2013
No. That's why the thread begins with rumor.

All caps is unnecessary. Please stop.

Beginning with a rumor does little to quell the hyperbole, drama, and seeming certainty that people are writing/reporting with... I find people's responses to WRITING WITH CAPS funny. If people would use a little reason and not get overly dramatic - and confuse being critical with being informed - maybe there could be a meaningful discussion, and people like me, who are looking for news, wouldn't get dragged down the rabbit hole.

I wish people would "please stop" with the drama, hyperbole, and critiques... on something that has yet to happen.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Beginning with a rumor does little to quell the hyperbole, drama, and seeming certainty that people are writing/reporting with... I find people's responses to WRITING WITH CAPS funny. If people would use a little reason and not get overly dramatic - and confuse being critical with being informed - maybe there could be a meaningful discussion, and people like me, who are looking for news, wouldn't get dragged down the rabbit hole.

I wish people would "please stop" with the drama, hyperbole, and critiques... on something that has yet to happen.

You people are too much...

Two consecutive posts attacking other posters without a word on the rumoured signing. The first lectures about looking for a meaningful discussion then followed up with a five word post that starts with "you people".

If you want to talk about 4x4 on Russell being too long that's reasonable. Some people think this is Ference 2.0, which I thankfully think is an overstatement, that's reasonable.

You aren't doing either. Insulting people is just a little ridiculous and unnecessary.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
here is what I think the long term plan is:

Sekera has a ntc that converts to a modified ntc after 2018/19. At that time, he lists 15 teams he would accept a trade to. If Chia found a home on one of the unlisted teams, he probably accepts. I do not think the org is willing to have a 5.2 million dollar a year guy on the 3rd pairing.

After 2018/19, the hope is that Benning and Nurse will be the 2nd pair. I believe the org is bringing them along slowly and doing it right. This is a huge change from the previous admin where they would be tossed into roles above their heads.

Russel will have a limited ntc at that time or maybe not even one. The ntc might be for 2 years. With the cap going up, a 3rd pairing guy who is only 32 and is a lead leader in blocked shots will not have negative value, even at 4 mill. The oilers can trade him or use him with whichever of Bear / Jones / Mantha is ready for 3rd pair duties. Because he can play LD or RD, he is a good fit as a 3rd pair mentor for upcoming dman.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I didn't say the term/money was great, but losing him would suck. If we replaced him we would have to give up assets because it wasn't going to be filled through agency.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Eberle's cap space is going to Leon and McDavid.

Russell is being signed for his extremely obvious (to all but uber analytics nuts) top 4 level of play last year. He is a lefty that actually can play left or right effectively in a top 4 role. Giving added flexibility. He is a solid #4 on most teams and while I also was hoping for a better right shooting guy, Russell was a big part of a very good season last year and is a solid signing.

Last offseason Russell held out for 5 x 5 was the very popular rumor. Had to settle for 1 year 3.5. This year the rumor is 4 x 4. Does this mean he actually signs for .5 years at 2.5?

I would/will be fine with Russell at 4 x 4 but hope its 3 years @ 4 at the most. 4 years just seems too long with Nurse and others still developing.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
not happy with 4x4 (if that's what it is) as I would hope by giving him 4 years the hit would be less.
like I said in the other thread, saving every dollar you can is important.
don't want to end up like Chicago except without the cups.
4 is too high. 3.5, I could live with and you then have half a mil for someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad