Kraken 2024 Offseason chatter

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
We're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The moment it was obvious we weren't going to come flying out of the gates like Vegas would have been the time to tear it down and tank. On paper the smart thing to do to eventually be cup contenders would be to tear it down by trading vets and tank for prospects.

Funny thing is, it kinda felt like he was doing that at the March 2022 deadline when he started dealing players like Gio, Jarnkrok and Lauzon followed by shifting Johansson (who wouldnt look half bad as a bottom 6 C right about now?) for Sprong (who they subsequently wasted).

But then he just sorta...stopped? He's made what, 4 trades since then? Megna, Bjorkstrand, Tatar and Wennberg? What's that all about?

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Funny thing is, it kinda felt like he was doing that at the March 2022 deadline when he started dealing players like Gio, Jarnkrok and Lauzon followed by shifting Johansson (who wouldnt look half bad as a bottom 6 C right about now?) for Sprong (who they subsequently wasted).

But then he just sorta...stopped? He's made what, 4 trades since then? Megna, Bjorkstrand, Tatar and Wennberg? What's that all about?
I think beniers came on faster than expected in his rookie year and the team sort of clicked that second year. I think if gourde etc had been traded in the second season and sabotaged making the play offs the fans would have revolted. Last season though it seemed relatively early in the season that play offs weren't going to happen. So not sure why they didn't then.

Reactions: Fuhrious

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
We're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The moment it was obvious we weren't going to come flying out of the gates like Vegas would have been the time to tear it down and tank. On paper the smart thing to do to eventually be cup contenders would be to tear it down by trading vets and tank for prospects.

We're now in a situation where we are a new franchise trying to build a fan base who have tasted the play offs who've just watched a season of mediocre/boring hockey and probably don't want to pay good money to watch a tanking team (aren't Kraken tickets some of the most expensive?). They are also up against the clock a little due to the NBA coming who'll compete against you for ticket money, sponsorships, arena time etc. A franchise that the city has a long history with, was popular and yet will also be the shiny new thing. So we're kind of in an in between where its trade for a star to sell tickets and hope? the remaining prospects pop/exceed expectations.

I think if there was no sonics coming they'd stay the course in Francis approach even if it meant continued mediocrity but lots of prospects.
Agreed. I always wanted us to build through the draft for the first 3-4 years with high picks and trade out vets with expiring contracts. But things changed, with us making the playoffs last season and ownership wanting us to win sooner rather than later. I know it is for the reasons you mentioned, but at the end of the day, it wouldn't really matter why ownership wants us to win now. Francis is employed by them and needs to deliver.

This is a good test to see how Francis can adapt and what he has learned from his time in Carolina. He certainly cannot afford to have another season or two like this one. I know where @majormajor is coming from but us ending up in the bottom-10 for another 2 seasons is basically Francis digging his own grave. He needs to make the best of what options he has, and in my mind, that is to acquire elite talent without selling the farm. He has done a great job drafting in the 2nd round and beyond.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Will be interesting to see what kind of a deal they'll end up with.

Last season certainly brought down the AAV for Beniers and it wouldn't be intelligent for Beniers to sign a longterm deal at a reduced AAV.

Overall I think we'll end up with a bridge deal of about 3 - 4 years at roughly a $6M.AAV.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Will be interesting to see what kind of a deal they'll end up with.

Last season certainly brought down the AAV for Beniers and it wouldn't be intelligent for Beniers to sign a longterm deal at a reduced AAV.

Overall I think we'll end up with a bridge deal of about 3 - 4 years at roughly a $6M.AAV.
That is my guess as well. 6M AAV x 3/4 years. Basically not letting him become a UFA.

Reactions: Renopucker

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
That is my guess as well. 6M AAV x 3/4 years. Basically not letting him become a UFA.

That's the smart move. Get him a reasonable salary, possibly an overpay, but you're paying for potential here. He's still young, and you definitely don't let him become a UFA. You hold onto that control. That way, if he meets his potential, you have the chance to make him the franchise player. 3-4 years is the right timeline.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
And how long do we think that will take? Teams even with the likes of McDavid and Draisaitl can take years to be competitive. And can we guarantee that any of our current prospects including Beniers and Wright end up becoming a star or elite player. Depending just on the draft to become a solid playoff team is easier said than done.

Also, the idea is not to instantly improve the team but to make it more competitive. If giving up one first-round pick in the 10+ range does the trick, I have no objections. The idea is that our prospect pool takes the next step over the next couple of seasons. Hopefully the likes of Goyette, Rehkopf, Nelson, Nyman, etc. take the next step.
How long it takes depends on how well you draft, There's never any guarantees of anything. There's no guarantee those drafted players become stars, but there's no guarantee a high paid free agent signing will instantly work or last. There are tons of bad signings on crazy free agent days. You can cripple your cap just as easily as you can make yourself better.

We need replacements for the guys we undervalued (eg. Geekie, Soucy) but there's no obvious "star" out there in free agency that can turn us into Edmonton. That has to come via the draft.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Considering Owen Power got an 8 million dollar deal 6 might be unrealistic. I'd say it'll start with 7.

Power has greatly underwhelmed since signing that deal.

On a 3 or 4 year deal Beniers shouldn't cost more than $6m per, if it's signed this offseason.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Considering Owen Power got an 8 million dollar deal 6 might be unrealistic. I'd say it'll start with 7.
If its 7M then it better be a 8 year deal and buy some UFA years out as well. I don't quite get how giving a forward who just came of a sub-40 point season 7M a year is justified.
How long it takes depends on how well you draft, There's never any guarantees of anything. There's no guarantee those drafted players become stars, but there's no guarantee a high paid free agent signing will instantly work or last. There are tons of bad signings on crazy free agent days. You can cripple your cap just as easily as you can make yourself better.

We need replacements for the guys we undervalued (eg. Geekie, Soucy) but there's no obvious "star" out there in free agency that can turn us into Edmonton. That has to come via the draft.
You may have just contradicted yourself here. The strong core you talked about in a post previously is exactly what the draft is for. Players like Soucy and Geekie are complimentary players. It is not exactly difficult to get them in the draft. Heck, I would not be shocked if Evans surpasses Soucy this coming season or next. Tolvanen who was a waiver pickup is better than Geekie already. What is hard is to get is core players. I am not even talking about superstars here. There are teams who have drafted high and waited years but not lucked into core players. Established NHL teams in big markets can afford going through long term rebuilds and wait to luck into superstars. I doubt Francis has that option.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Power has greatly underwhelmed since signing that deal.

On a 3 or 4 year deal Beniers shouldn't cost more than $6m per, if it's signed this offseason.
So you want to give him a lot less than the guy who underwhelmed?
If its 7M then it better be a 8 year deal and buy some UFA years out as well. I don't quite get how giving a forward who just came of a sub-40 point season 7M a year is justified.

You may have just contradicted yourself here. The strong core you talked about in a post previously is exactly what the draft is for. Players like Soucy and Geekie are complimentary players. It is not exactly difficult to get them in the draft. Heck, I would not be shocked if Evans surpasses Soucy this coming season or next. Tolvanen who was a waiver pickup is better than Geekie already. What is hard is to get is core players. I am not even talking about superstars here. There are teams who have drafted high and waited years but not lucked into core players. Established NHL teams in big markets can afford going through long term rebuilds and wait to luck into superstars. I doubt Francis has that option.
To the contract, the thinking in the league now is generally to lock up these young "stars" early so that they do not leave you in their prime as UFAs. You don't get Tkachuk'ed if you will. Lots of them seem like overpays but the GMs think they will be golden as the contracts age. So it depends if you still think Beniers will be a top player or not. If you do, 7 is a bargain.

As to the draft I see no contradiction. What I'm saying is you draft your core but you can use free agency to fill out your roster with value players who fit. Geekie was a fit for Boston and they got value there. We missed him (and others). We missed Soucy. We did not adequately repalce what we lost. "Stars" in free agency generally cost way too much for what they bring you as most of those deals do not age well. So if I'm GM I need to be blown away to trade a first rounder.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
So you want to give him a lot less than the guy who underwhelmed?
Owen Power got overpaid. Just because Buffalo did that does not mean we need to do it as well.
To the contract, the thinking in the league now is generally to lock up these young "stars" early so that they do not leave you in their prime as UFAs. You don't get Tkachuk'ed if you will. Lots of them seem like overpays but the GMs think they will be golden as the contracts age. So it depends if you still think Beniers will be a top player or not. If you do, 7 is a bargain.

As to the draft I see no contradiction. What I'm saying is you draft your core but you can use free agency to fill out your roster with value players who fit. Geekie was a fit for Boston and they got value there. We missed him (and others). We missed Soucy. We did not adequately repalce what we lost. "Stars" in free agency generally cost way too much for what they bring you as most of those deals do not age well. So if I'm GM I need to be blown away to trade a first rounder.
You are talking about an idealistic scenario where we have all the time we need to build that core out via drafting. Next season is #4 for us. You are unwilling to trade our draft pick that would be for season #5. Fine, that would pretty much mean we are not going to be competitive for season #5 as well. Now what? 5 seasons with pretty much nothing to show for outside of Beniers and Wright, and this is assuming Wright turns into the #2C we expect. No guarantee that we have more core players outside of Wright and Beniers. Dunn and McCann are the other 2 good players we have who will be 29 and 30 years respectively.

Players like Geekie, Sprong, Soucy are exactly the kind of players that should be coming in through the later picks in the draft. Francis has done an excellent job in the 2nd round and beyond to fill those needs. As I had mentioned earlier, Evans can easily surpass Soucy. Players like Goyette, Firkus, Rehkopf, Nyman, etc. have the potential to surpass what Geekie does. Also, Vancouver and Boston are much better teams than us. Geekie and Soucy doing well is not exactly a surprise. I don't want us to overpay for complimentary players like that because they are much easier to replace via the draft.

Anyway, my point is that timelines matter. We can keep failing until we happen to hit the lottery and succeed, but even that is not guaranteed. High drafting does not automatically guarantee success. But a proven top line player like Necas has a much better chance to help us than the draft pick for next year. Also, at 25 years, we are getting someone who fits our timelines. I am 99% sure Francis does not have the luxury of building just via the draft.

Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Owen Power got overpaid. Just because Buffalo did that does not mean we need to do it as well.

You are talking about an idealistic scenario where we have all the time we need to build that core out via drafting. Next season is #4 for us. You are unwilling to trade our draft pick that would be for season #5. Fine, that would pretty much mean we are not going to be competitive for season #5 as well. Now what? 5 seasons with pretty much nothing to show for outside of Beniers and Wright, and this is assuming Wright turns into the #2C we expect. No guarantee that we have more core players outside of Wright and Beniers. Dunn and McCann are the other 2 good players we have who will be 29 and 30 years respectively.

Players like Geekie, Sprong, Soucy are exactly the kind of players that should be coming in through the later picks in the draft. Francis has done an excellent job in the 2nd round and beyond to fill those needs. As I had mentioned earlier, Evans can easily surpass Soucy. Players like Goyette, Firkus, Rehkopf, Nyman, etc. have the potential to surpass what Geekie does. Also, Vancouver and Boston are much better teams than us. Geekie and Soucy doing well is not exactly a surprise. I don't want us to overpay for complimentary players like that because they are much easier to replace via the draft.

Anyway, my point is that timelines matter. We can keep failing until we happen to hit the lottery and succeed, but even that is not guaranteed. High drafting does not automatically guarantee success. But a proven top line player like Necas has a much better chance to help us than the draft pick for next year. Also, at 25 years, we are getting someone who fits our timelines. I am 99% sure Francis does not have the luxury of building just via the draft.

For the example of Sprong and Soucy, those are players that are not overpaid at all. Sprong had some defensive play / coachability issues that are particular to him. In Soucy's case I don't get why we didn't pay him $3.3m x 3. He is a good player who earned at least as much. And he's relatively young.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
For the example of Sprong and Soucy, those are players that are not overpaid at all. Sprong had some defensive play / coachability issues that are particular to him. In Soucy's case I don't get why we didn't pay him $3.3m x 3. He is a good player who earned at least as much. And he's relatively young.
No idea about Soucy, but I was pretty sure we were not going re-sign Sprong. I dont know if Soucy did not want to come back here or if we just didnt want him back.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I dont know if Soucy did not want to come back here or if we just didnt want him back.

It's quite possible that we underbid on Soucy. Vancouver finished far below us in the standings last year, and has higher taxes. It's reasonable to guess Soucy just followed the money. So in the context of what you were saying - that we shouldn't overpay for complementary players - I think Soucy may be an example of the opposite tendency.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A YouTube rumour has teams contacting the Kraken about Shane Wright. Doubt anything significant comes of it, but I can kind of see why some teams might think it is the ideal time to pry him away from the Kraken.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021

How are you getting Necas???

To the contract, the point is look at what young future stars are getting. At age 21 (Beniers age) Dylan Cozens got 7 million, Clyton Keller got 7 million, Brady Tkachuk got 8. Matt Boldy has 7. So forget Power if you think that's out of line, 7 million plus is the going rate for top 10 draft choices after their rookie deals.

Now you have a lot of faith in the prospects. That's great. Hope you're right, but they are all unproven. You need veterans and leaders to support your young stars, not a flock of rookies. Then the rookies compete and push for spots and if they win those jobs you can ship the vets out one by one.

We dropped because we didn't replace the guys we lost. Team went overboard trying to assure playoffs early (to grow the fanbase) and then paid the price so now it's a small step backwards. Going crazy and dumping piles of cash on free agents will just derail any sort of realistic build.

A lot depends on Wright. If he gets it together and becomes what he was drafted to be team will be fine. If he's a (relatively speaking) bust, well then you pay that price and have to get a new top 10 pick and hit this time.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
How are you getting Necas???
That is on Francis. And Necas is just an example. The team needs to improve and needs more talent. That being said. One of my ideas was 1st 2025 + Gourde/Tolvy + Firkus.
To the contract, the point is look at what young future stars are getting. At age 21 (Beniers age) Dylan Cozens got 7 million, Clyton Keller got 7 million, Brady Tkachuk got 8. Matt Boldy has 7. So forget Power if you think that's out of line, 7 million plus is the going rate for top 10 draft choices after their rookie deals.
Getting 7M over 8 year contracts is fine, it buys into UFA. But if Beniers want to bet on himself, and help the team out, he should have no problem with a bridge 6M x 3/4. Just look at what Dunn did.
Now you have a lot of faith in the prospects. That's great. Hope you're right, but they are all unproven. You need veterans and leaders to support your young stars, not a flock of rookies. Then the rookies compete and push for spots and if they win those jobs you can ship the vets out one by one.
Yes, the prospects are unproven. That is exactly why I am talking about getting proven talent. I would rather place my bet on proven talent than holding on a draft pick, where I have no idea of the range, and is even a bigger unknown than our current prospect pool, let alone proven talent.
We dropped because we didn't replace the guys we lost. Team went overboard trying to assure playoffs early (to grow the fanbase) and then paid the price so now it's a small step backwards. Going crazy and dumping piles of cash on free agents will just derail any sort of realistic build.
Yes, but also, no. Sure, we didn't replace the talent but I think the team overachieved in our 2nd season. The depth undoubtedly helps but it is impossible for our top-6 to match up against other teams. It is honestly pretty bad. That is why the depth is so much more important for us. It will help, but I feel like our 2nd season was more of an outlier.
A lot depends on Wright. If he gets it together and becomes what he was drafted to be team will be fine. If he's a (relatively speaking) bust, well then you pay that price and have to get a new top 10 pick and hit this time.
Wright and Beniers are never going to be elite offensive juggernauts. At their ceiling I expect them to be really good top-line 2-way centers. But to help them get there, you need to provide them help. Yes, we can keep waiting for draft picks to pan out but you seem pretty intent on ignoring what i mentioned about timelines.

If Francis is picking in the top-10 in 2025, he will most definitely be on the hot seat. I don't think he has a much longer shelf life if we are picking that high again.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Yes, but also, no. Sure, we didn't replace the talent but I think the team overachieved in our 2nd season. The depth undoubtedly helps but it is impossible for our top-6 to match up against other teams. It is honestly pretty bad. That is why the depth is so much more important for us. It will help, but I feel like our 2nd season was more of an outlier.
To your point, Wennberg went from the Kraken's 2C and almost 19 minutes of TOI to the Rangers 3C and 15 minutes TOI. And honestly, the Rangers' utilization is probably considerably more in line with Wennberg's calibre of play.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
That is on Francis. And Necas is just an example. The team needs to improve and needs more talent. That being said. One of my ideas was 1st 2025 + Gourde/Tolvy + Firkus.

Getting 7M over 8 year contracts is fine, it buys into UFA. But if Beniers want to bet on himself, and help the team out, he should have no problem with a bridge 6M x 3/4. Just look at what Dunn did.

Yes, the prospects are unproven. That is exactly why I am talking about getting proven talent. I would rather place my bet on proven talent than holding on a draft pick, where I have no idea of the range, and is even a bigger unknown than our current prospect pool, let alone proven talent.

Wright and Beniers are never going to be elite offensive juggernauts. At their ceiling I expect them to be really good top-line 2-way centers. But to help them get there, you need to provide them help. Yes, we can keep waiting for draft picks to pan out but you seem pretty intent on ignoring what i mentioned about timelines.

If Francis is picking in the top-10 in 2025, he will most definitely be on the hot seat. I don't think he has a much longer shelf life if we are picking that high again.
I'm not ignoring timelines, I just think your view is unrealistic. I mean "that's on Francis" is an easy out for a fan. Everybody wants Necas. That's a no brainer. Of course he'd make the team better, but you just don't get to rob other teams because you like your team. Your offer is way too much. You'll be able to get a lot for Gourde at deadline if you don't re-sign him first. Armchair GM is easy when you just say I want this guy or that guy make it happen. It's just not that easy.

Who in free agency do you want to throw money at? Lindholm? Good luck. I see nothing that will shift the dial in any great way so why overspend? There are mid level value guys and bottom 6 guys, but not much for star power.

Maybe it's true that Ottawa wants to move Brady Tkachuk. If so, sure, I'd make an offer, but I suspect the price is high.

I'm all for improving the team, but we don't have the depth or wealth of assets to do anything radical, I just don't want to mortgage the future for a chance to be a mid level team right now and pay that price in a few more years. I'd rather build slowly and carefully the right way.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm not ignoring timelines, I just think your view is unrealistic. I mean "that's on Francis" is an easy out for a fan. Everybody wants Necas. That's a no brainer. Of course he'd make the team better, but you just don't get to rob other teams because you like your team. Your offer is way too much. You'll be able to get a lot for Gourde at deadline if you don't re-sign him first. Armchair GM is easy when you just say I want this guy or that guy make it happen. It's just not that easy.
Asking Francis to fix the team is not an easy out. I never said it was easy. But it's his damn job. We go into season 4 with really not much to show. Vegas won the Cup in Season 4. And I am not saying this to compare us to Vegas but do you think ownership expects to wait till season 6 or 7 till we start making the playoffs consistently? And like I mentioned before, Necas is an example. He is not the only player we can trade for. You mentioned someone like Tkachuk yourself. And while I agree that my offer may be a slight overpayment, it gets our team better immediately. Sure, Gourde could get a better return at the TDL. Let's say it is a late first. Now what? Another draft pick in the late 20's in the 2025 draft or beyond, who is likely another 2-3 seasons away from helping us. You say you are not ignoring timelines, but when I asked you how long we wait for a solid core, your response was akin to "as long as it takes." That is just flat-out unrealistic, and Francis won't have a job if that happens.
Who in free agency do you want to throw money at? Lindholm? Good luck. I see nothing that will shift the dial in any great way so why overspend? There are mid level value guys and bottom 6 guys, but not much for star power.

Maybe it's true that Ottawa wants to move Brady Tkachuk. If so, sure, I'd make an offer, but I suspect the price is high.

I'm all for improving the team, but we don't have the depth or wealth of assets to do anything radical, I just don't want to mortgage the future for a chance to be a mid level team right now and pay that price in a few more years. I'd rather build slowly and carefully the right way.
I never mentioned about FA or overspending there. But why do you pick Lindholm as an example? How about Guentzel or Reinhart who are much better players? I just feel that people put too much stock into the draft and unproven prospects. I am not talking about gutting our prospect pool. I just don't think losing a 1st round pick in 2025 or Firkus is that big of a deal. We still have Rehkopf, Nyman, Goyette, Sale, Molgaard. We also have Nelson, Ottavainen, Price, Dragicevic. Francis has done a really good job drafting but the team has enough capital to afford losing one prospect and another mid-to-late round draft pick in 2025.

Building slowly and carefully the right way, is not a real option for a market like Seattle. And I still don't understand what you mean by slowly? Is this a 6 year plan? A 10 year plan? Or lets just wait till the stars align?

I realize I cannot change your mind so this conversation is fruitless, but I tried anyway.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
@Fistfullofbeer
Vegas won their cup in year 6.

As for building the team.

Free agency is fools gold.
Though, Francis needs to make a decision on what he wants to do.
Either go for it and take a risk or "build slowly" by starting to trade away the veteran guys that will be to old to be part of the "cup window".

That in between thing is not going to anywhere.

You might make the playoffs, if you overachieve like last season, but most likely you'll end up outside the playoffs while picking in the 10 - 14 range and not getting the elite talent you need to get sh** done in this league.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
@Fistfullofbeer
Vegas won their cup in year 6.
Thanks for the correction.

As for building the team.

Free agency is fools gold.
Though, Francis needs to make a decision on what he wants to do.
Either go for it and take a risk or "build slowly" by starting to trade away the veteran guys that will be to old to be part of the "cup window".

That in between thing is not going to anywhere.

You might make the playoffs, if you overachieve like last season, but most likely you'll end up outside the playoffs while picking in the 10 - 14 range and not getting the elite talent you need to get sh** done in this league.

Agree about free agency. It has its uses but even the top players in FA are unlikely to match our timelines. But, they would be a really good addition IF we had a solid core already. I guess I am just frustrated with the "in between" approach. If we are building only via the draft, my approach would be trade vets with maximum value and fill them with FA's who can fill similar roles at a lesser level. Get them on short term contracts (2-3 years max). I would love going into a draft with multiple 1st round picks, if that is the intent. For a team trying to build via the draft, I find it really strange that we have gone through 4 drafts with no more than 1 1st round pick per draft.

In a nutshell, management and Francis need to get on the same page. If management wants to win now, maybe Francis is not the right guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad