Kraken 2024 Offseason chatter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Do you have a preferred dollar figure?

No, just a preferred(non mid) talent level.

Teravainen is a fine player that will be good for a team that is way closer to competing than the Kraken are.

I just don't think we need more good, $5M players while we still don't have high end talent on the roster.

Bringing in all those $5M guys also is a really nice way to get yourself into cap trouble(those are the ones with the potential to hurt you the most), while also making it way harder to trade for one of the elite guys, if they become available.

BTW: According to Pangotta of the 4th period.

A couple of players on Seattle’s radar if they hit free agency in July are Max Domi and Anthony Duclair.

I wouldn't midn Duclair but he's not going to improve us that much.
I also call total BS on Domi cause we could've had him from Columbus during the expansion draft and rather took Gavin Bayreuther.
Also heard that there was no way Francis was touching Domi, at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irie and majormajor

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I also call total BS on Domi cause we could've had him from Columbus during the expansion draft and rather took Gavin Bayreuther.
Neither of those players really move the needle for me, any more than Yamamoto did anyway. Domi especially, for the reasons you mention as well as the fact his career arc is just sorta clownish. 52 points as a rookie in Arizona, attitude's his way to Montreal where he gets 72 points...and then just durdles around as a journeyman for the next 5 years. Clearly has talent, but its the sort of arc where you find out years later that the dude ate nothing but Big Macs or had an alcohol/drug problem or whatever. Just...no thanks.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No, just a preferred(non mid) talent level.

Teravainen is a fine player that will be good for a team that is way closer to competing than the Kraken are.

I just don't think we need more good, $5M players while we still don't have high end talent on the roster.

I was thinking the appeal of Teravainen is that he is more talented than your typical $5m player. I could be wrong about that. His scoring in the last few years has dipped. On the Canes board they were happy to extend him around that number.

BTW: According to Pangotta of the 4th period.

Neither of those players really move the needle for me, any more than Yamamoto did anyway. Domi especially, for the reasons you mention as well as the fact his career arc is just sorta clownish. 52 points as a rookie in Arizona, attitude's his way to Montreal where he gets 72 points...and then just durdles around as a journeyman for the next 5 years. Clearly has talent, but its the sort of arc where you find out years later that the dude ate nothing but Big Macs or had an alcohol/drug problem or whatever. Just...no thanks.

We're obviously not interested in Domi.

The reason his points have dipped like that is that he rarely gets top minutes since his Montreal run. Domi's scoring rates even in 4th line roles are very high. But he's awful defensively and very small, so he usually gets limited roles. Think of him as more analogous to Daniel Sprong. There have been tv segments on Domi's type 1 diabetes that cover his diet, he's portrayed as very strict about diet and conditioning.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't know if players like Teravainen or Duclair do much to move the needle for us. They are complimentary players who are helpful for the teams looking to make strong SC runs and already loaded with talent.

We already have those types of players. What we need is elite talent.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

So what do you trade for him? What assets would a team like Ottawa need specifically from Seattle to move him to the Kraken. I think the ask would be too much. His contract is pretty decent for his caliber of player. He’s the type of player I like, so this would be cool, but there are probably 20 teams who could more easily match Ottawa’s ask.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
So what do you trade for him? What assets would a team like Ottawa need specifically from Seattle to move him to the Kraken. I think the ask would be too much. His contract is pretty decent for his caliber of player. He’s the type of player I like, so this would be cool, but there are probably 20 teams who could more easily match Ottawa’s ask.

Well, it starts with our #8 pick and probably includes Wright and some other roster players.

Though, what you're takling about is what it would cost to bring in an elite talent.

And unless people are OK with it(or most importatnly our front office) we'll never be able to bring in anyone of that level without drafting them oursevles.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well, it starts with our #8 pick and probably includes Wright and some other roster players.

Though, what you're takling about is what it would cost to bring in an elite talent.

And unless people are OK with it(or most importatnly our front office) we'll never be able to bring in anyone of that level without drafting them oursevles.
Agreed. There can be exceptions where players have NTCs/NMCs and want out. In that case, the price may be a "steal".

However, in most cases, think of a cost that would hurt you. 8th OA + Wright hurts me already. I wouldn't do it for that but I feel that is a "fair" deal.

Reactions: kihei

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
I know you have been pretty vocal about this and have been on here regularly to critique Francis. Except for the 2022-23 season when you didn't make a single post. Maybe because the team did well that season and made the playoffs.

Either way, if you are interested in building a team, you have to be given time to do so. I don't agree with all your critiques of Francis, but he has had 3 seasons at the helm where he has done a pretty good job drafting and building our prospect pool. I would be okay with him even taking the 2024-25 season to continue building the prospect pool, but he must figure out how to be competitive by the 2025-26 season. That would mean moving parts of the team that are not our core and part of the future. Gourde, Tanev, Larsson(?), Bura, Schwartz, etc. Obviously, not trading all of them but moving pending UFAs like Gourde, Tanev, and Larsson would at least make sense.

I would be surprised if the ownership remains patient beyond that.

Edit: Slight correction you made 2 posts in October 2022 right when the season started.

I have been saying this for years, thank you for pointing out that I've been right for a long time.

Lots of sources have us as a mid-range prospect team, and we're fielding a really bad NHL team at the same time (finished 25th in the league in points last year). Francis is fully accountable for these crappy results. If we're going to be one of the worst teams in the league, we should have an elite prospect pool. If we're going to have a mediocre prospect pool, we should at least have a decent NHL team.

Francis, with a blank slate to work from, has managed to create both a bad NHL team and a mediocre prospect pool. That's honestly impressive. I'm not sure I could achieve such poor performance even had I set out to do so.

He also selected a HC that we had to unceremoniously fire just a few seasons in. Oh what a genius GM!

Down with Ron! Take his coat!

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I think they were until we made the playoffs in our 2nd season. Our 2nd season was a jump from 60 to 100 points. This season is smack in the middle with 81 points. If they had a 70-80 point 2nd season and then were in the 80-90 range this season (like we are), we would likely be selling vets to load up. Both last season and this season.

I get where management is coming from. And they are the ones who will dictate where the team goes. If Francis has his hands tied, then he needs to start taking some risks so that the team can be competitive. If all we are going to do is waiting for our prospects to pan out, Francis is unlikely to have a job for much longer given managements expectations.
Its for sure a fascinating off season ahead. It just feels like any time you hear Lewieke or Bondermans daughter interviewed it sounds like they want to be aggressive/win now (not so much promise it but talk about it and how they want to be a first class org, invest in analytics etc) then you have Francis who last off season didn't really do much bar signing a couple of league average veterans and lost some good depth players then not really aggressively trading Gourde or Tanev at the trade deadline. It felt last year like we were just treading water waiting on prospects to be ready or collect prospects for a rainy day.

At the very minimum we need Beniers to get back on track next year. Him having a sophomore slump was a bit worrying. Then we need to Wright start to make some sort of impact at the NHL level.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I have been saying this for years, thank you for pointing out that I've been right for a long time.

Lots of sources have us as a mid-range prospect team, and we're fielding a really bad NHL team at the same time (finished 25th in the league in points last year). Francis is fully accountable for these crappy results. If we're going to be one of the worst teams in the league, we should have an elite prospect pool. If we're going to have a mediocre prospect pool, we should at least have a decent NHL team.

Francis, with a blank slate to work from, has managed to create both a bad NHL team and a mediocre prospect pool. That's honestly impressive. I'm not sure I could achieve such poor performance even had I set out to do so.

He also selected a HC that we had to unceremoniously fire just a few seasons in. Oh what a genius GM!

I hope the Kraken improve so this board will be back to being fun like it and 22/23

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Firing a coach after three seasons is nothing noteworthy. 3 years is the average NHL coaching tenure.

And our prospect pool roughly reflects where we've been drafting and with however many picks in the last three years. It's nothing special but you really shouldn't expect it to be for a team that is just starting up.

There's a lot of critiques you can make about Ron Francis' approach, but this just looks like you don't have realistic expectations.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021

lol.
Given hindsight is always great, do tell, what would you have done differently?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Not the takeway I was expecting.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I guess I’m fine with Bylsma, if only for the fact that I don’t see any other obviously desirable candidates out there and there should presumably be “a way back” for coaches like Bylsma to work their way back into an opportunity after duffing their last one.

It’s a bit disappointing in that you’d like to be the team that unearths an unknown gem like Sam Presti or Theo Epstein but you won’t if you’re constantly shopping in the retread section…

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I guess I’m fine with Bylsma, if only for the fact that I don’t see any other obviously desirable candidates out there and there should presumably be “a way back” for coaches like Bylsma to work their way back into an opportunity after duffing their last one.

It’s a bit disappointing in that you’d like to be the team that unearths an unknown gem like Sam Presti or Theo Epstein but you won’t if you’re constantly shopping in the retread section…

I don't think Ronnie wants the Kraken to find that given that they are GM's and this would cost him his job....:joker:

Reactions: Fuhrious

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Gourde and Tanev out? The heart and soul, high effort, playoff ready guys? Can't agree with that idea but if they wanted to move them they should call Buffalo. Exactly the type of players Buffalo wants/needs and is looking for and they have a plethora of young scorers and potential scorers.

I do wonder however, if it won't be an even bigger step backwards next season and yes, Wright will be 2C.
Gourde, Tanev and Larsson for 11thOA, Krebs and Jokiharju.

Opens up 12.5M for free agent help, while adding a couple of younger players that have potential, and secures a much higher pick than they would get selling them alone at the TDL. If the expert Draft pundits can be trusted, The pick projects to be Helenius, Catton, Yakemchuk or Sennecke. If Francis thinks he could entice a couple of UFAs to come in with the money he saves here, I kinda like the move for both teams.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Gourde, Tanev and Larsson for 11thOA, Krebs and Jokiharju.

Opens up 12.5M for free agent help, while adding a couple of younger players that have potential, and secures a much higher pick than they would get selling them alone at the TDL. If the expert Draft pundits can be trusted, The pick projects to be Helenius, Catton, Yakemchuk or Sennecke. If Francis thinks he could entice a couple of UFAs to come in with the money he saves here, I kinda like the move for both teams.

All 3 of those guys have 10 team no-trade clauses, and I’d bet pretty decent money that at least one of those guys has to have Buffalo on their list.

Reactions: GrungeHockey

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
All 3 of those guys have 10 team no-trade clauses, and I’d bet pretty decent money that at least one of those guys has to have Buffalo on their list.
The chances of any of the three having Buffalo on their NTC lists is likely less than the chances that ownership oks trading away vets for futures right now, so I say stop being a negative Nancy and embrace the hypothetical trade proposals to keep this place entertaining until the draft gets here. ;)

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
He needs to find one of them, but somebody with little self esteem or charisma so they don’t go trying to move up. Find the right person for THE job, not YOUR job.
We already have those bright stars in our analytics dept ( Alex and Namita) not sure why they are bring forgotten in this convo - they are analytics gurus and the exact hockey versions of who you bring up

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
We already have those bright stars in our analytics dept ( Alex and Namita) not sure why they are bring forgotten in this convo - they are analytics gurus and the exact hockey versions of who you bring up
Because frankly, I wish I had the time in my life to know who they are. I just simply don’t between my job that requires 60-80 hours of work per week and my family and other life interests. I’m just happy to be able to watch and follow the Kraken at all.

Reactions: Fuhrious

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The chances of any of the three having Buffalo on their NTC lists is likely less than the chances that ownership oks trading away vets for futures right now, so I say stop being a negative Nancy and embrace the hypothetical trade proposals to keep this place entertaining until the draft gets here. ;)

Good thing you’ve got that emoji there… pal. Haha

The Sabres and Jets both have players I’d really like to have but I always feel there is a certain inevitability that getting them before free agency is a pipe dream.

That said, I don’t hate your idea

• Haha
Reactions: Irie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad