Kraken 2024 draft

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I have been thinking of this as a Francis pick from the start. Responsible 2 way forward who is close to stepping into the NHL. High floor, low ceiling. Finnish. Checks pretty much all the boxes. Which is why, I have been kind of open to trading this pick ... if it makes sense.

Really really hoping he proves me wrong.
A couple of people whom I've read referred to Helenius as the safest pick in the draft. Most commentators think he is second line/middle six material. No elite skills mentioned by anybody that I can remember. I'm sure he would be a good player, but at #8 it would be an awfully timid pick. Let's hope we are both wrong.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

wewantyoursoul

Oct 14, 2021
Happy Valley, OR

Tony Ferrari

1719350370676.png

Steven Ellis

1719350491741.png

Chris Peters

1719350648700.png

40. Seattle Kraken – Adam Jecho, C/W, Edmonton Oil Kings
63. Seattle Kraken (via NYR) – Jack Berglund, C/W, Farjestad U20

wewantyoursoul

Oct 14, 2021
Happy Valley, OR

JelloPuddyPops

"Gotta support the team."
Oct 9, 2018
Pacific Northwest
yea i'm getting a little annoyed at the whole switching around in mocks to the point i am not excited for what we'll take at pick 8.
You're annoyed that different people have different opinions in mock drafts for the #8 pick? First time following mock drafts? Why would that make you "not excited" for who the Kraken take?

You sure find weird things to get annoyed at.

There are multiple players that the Kraken could select that can help the team going forward. It's not life and death... it's a hockey draft. Enjoy it.

Reactions: Irie

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
I can't see Demidov lasting to 8th, unfortunately.

I quite like Helenius in a vacuum, he scored pretty well in Liiga for a 17 year old, but he feels kind of redundant when you have Wright? The way he's described sounds Wright-lite.

I think the prospect pool needs a dynamic dman so hoping for Buium or Parekh, but predicting Dickinson.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I quite like Helenius in a vacuum, he scored pretty well in Liiga for a 17 year old, but he feels kind of redundant when you have Wright? The way he's described sounds Wright-lite.

I think the prospect pool needs a dyanamic dman so hoping for Buium or Parekh, but predicting Dickinson.
Agreed with all 3 of your statements.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I think the prospect pool needs a dynamic dman so hoping for Buium or Parekh, but predicting Dickinson.

I think Demidov goes #2 to Chicago.
Especially after his measurements during that russian draft camp in Florida where he was listed at nearly 6'1.

The talk about him falling screems Kent Hughes and Montreal to me, cause they'd really like to have him and Hughes seems like a guy who loves doing stuff like that, as a former agent.

At one point Bill Armstrong was asked about rumors and just smiled and said they know who puts them out and therefore know which guy they(Montreal) want.

Though, if Demidov somehow was available at #8 I'd love for Ronnie to run up the stage and just scream "Demidov" into the mic, leaving Gary with a look of...
giphy.webp

But of course, we all know that if Demidov would be available Ronnie would calmly take the stage and announce some other dude that ain't russian....
giphy.webp

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Hypothetical question. Let's say Celebrini and Demidov are the #1 and #2 picks. Which of the remaining prospects would you move up from #8 to #5/#6 for? What would you be willing to pay for it (realistically, not ideally)?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Hypothetical question. Let's say Celebrini and Demidov are the #1 and #2 picks. Which of the remaining prospects would you move up from #8 to #5/#6 for? What would you be willing to pay for it (realistically, not ideally)?

The guys I like are Lindstrom, Buium, Parekh(swing for the fences) and Catton.

Though, I don't know we have what it takes to trade up to #5 cause I doubt those teams need two more 2nd round picks.

It's probably best to just see what's there at #8 and take the BPA.
Heck, I'd even go for @majormajor "client":naughty::D and take Sennecke at #8 if the other guys available are Siliayev, Dickinson, Helnenius etc.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The guys I like are Lindstrom, Buium, Parekh(swing for the fences) and Catton.

Though, I don't know we have what it takes to trade up to #5 cause I doubt those teams need two more 2nd round picks.

It's probably best to just see what's there at #8 and take the BPA.
Heck, I'd even go for @majormajor "client":naughty::D and take Sennecke at #8 if the other guys available are Siliayev, Dickinson, Helnenius etc.
Yeah. That's kind of what I am driving at. I don't know what the cost would be, but unless someone Francis thinks highly of, I cannot see it happening.

Players I would consider doing it for is probably Buium and Lindstrom. I have Senneke slightly ahead or equal to Catton so I would not move for either. If Parekh, Buium, Catton, Senneke are not picked in the top-5, I would stay put and just go with BPA.

I keep going through scenarios, and the ideal case for us would be if Silayev and Iginla were gone before us. And it could happen simply because Silayev is a unicorn and Iginla has, well, that last name. I think a lot of people here are down on Levshunov, and there is a good possibility he is gone, too. If the top-5 in any order is Celebrini, Demidov, Silayev, Lindstrom, Iginla, we have no reason to move, not for the cost anyway.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Just a thought about @Fistfullofbeer 's question about moving up.

Maybe we could do something with Columbus were we take on the full cap hit of Laine and add another 2nd rounder/prospect etc.

So something like.

To Seattle:
Laine(no retention)
#4 OVR pick

To Columbus:
#8 OVR pick
Player X(Tanev, Tolvanen etc)
2nd round pick(s)/prospect(s)

giphy.webp
That makes sense to me. And I would certainly do that, though I doubt CBJ would. Also, it is unlikely to happen unless Laine makes it out of the assistance program between now and when the draft starts. Based on what Wadell said, teams want to talk to Laine before trading for him and they can't talk to him while he is still in the PAP.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It's just Zeev Buium.

I'm also gung ho for Demidov and Lindstrom but if those guys are still there at #5/6 then we can't get those picks.

If they're gone and Montreal is still set on a forward like Sennecke/Iginla, then maybe they trade down. Utah might also have a thing for Carter Yakemchuk (covers some bases for Bill Armstrong) and that's a trade down situation for them.

It might cost us a 2nd+3rd or something similar to that. I don't know. I'm on the fence about whether that's worth it. I have Buium two spots ahead of Sennecke, who might also be there at #8. Heck, Buium might be there at #8.

Just a thought about @Fistfullofbeer 's question about moving up.

Maybe we could do something with Columbus were we take on the full cap hit of Laine and add another 2nd rounder/prospect etc.

So something like.

To Seattle:
Laine(no retention)
#4 OVR pick

To Columbus:
#8 OVR pick
Player X(Tanev, Tolvanen etc)
2nd round pick(s)/prospect(s)

giphy.webp

The Jackets would sooner just keep Laine and try and figure it out later.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I like the scenario that gets us Laine and #4 pick, maybe Lindstorm, though I highly doubt Columbus would bite. Other than that scenario, trading up seems less shiny to me.

What it boils down to me is that there are two ultra-elite prospects in the draft, and then it's a chaos of possible choices. It just cost San Jose pick #42 to move up three places from #14 to #11. Would I trade our second rounder to move up two spots with Utah if I knew we could almost surely nab Buium? The greater certainty would be nice. I might be tempted enough to do it, but I'm not sure I would actually pull the trigger on that deal. There is going to be some interesting talent there at #40 for us to choose. And it's not like there isn't going to be lots of skilled prospects at #8 either. Trading up to pick #5 from Montreal would cost more, probably our second rounder and a good prospect, a double whammy to our prospect pool, so no chance I'd pay that price.

So for me, RCH's deal, thumbs up. I would like to see the impossible happen in that instance, but I'm leery about the other possible scenarios.

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
This is maybe behind a paywall but Pronman's latest mock: Final 2024 NHL Mock Draft: After Macklin Celebrini, there’s room for surprise.

He has us not picking Demidov, Parekh, Iginla, Catton and Helenius (surprise!!) and going with Yakemchuk at 8. I mean, sure. At this point it's like throwing darts in the dark.

He still has us taking Yakemchuk and leaving Demidov to the Flames....
That's probably the most likely thing to happen with Francis but would be a gut punch if it actually were to happen...
giphy.webp

Other than that, Kraken fans going into this years draft clearly know this much about the teams selectiion....
giphy.webp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad