Kraken 2024 draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
According to Chris Peters of Flohockey Beckett Sennecke seem slike a sure fire top ten pick.

He's heard that he might go in the 6 - 8 range but of course only talks about Utah and Ottawa while leaving out that nhl media's black hole that is Seattle......I mean, why would you report on those strange folks form the northwest of the States...:sarcasm:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
According to Chris Peters of Flohockey Beckett Sennecke seem slike a sure fire top ten pick.

He's heard that he might go in the 6 - 8 range but of course only talks about Utah and Ottawa while leaving out that nhl media's black hole that is Seattle......I mean, why would you report on those strange folks form the northwest of the States...:sarcasm:

Seriously. Would be nice to hear something once in a while .. :)

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
See, Sennecke is not just a majormajor guy! I told ya.

Hmmm.........not so sure.......feels like someone has beem pulling strings in the background.....
200.webp

• Haha
Reactions: majormajor

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Blues fan moving to UPlace/Tacoma in two weeks. Pardon my intrusion. I want to understand your prospects so I am trying to slowly read up. Wondering if anyone has a synopsis on your drafted guys and their post draft development. Here's how I would do it for Blues prospect by position:

defense - Theo Lindstein (last year late 1st) has very high hockey IQ and has a floor of top four for this reason, projects as a #2-#4. We kind of expect him to be a fixture with Parayko and Matt Kessel, a highly mobile 6'3" RD in our top 4. Nobody else you need to know right now. We have no #1 in the pipeline or in the org it is our huge glaring org weakness.​
forward - bunch of incoming talent next 12-24 months to complement emerging two-way 1C Robert Thomas. C (top 6 Dvorsky, bottom 6 Dean), LW (Stenberg, Pekarcik, Stancl), RW (Bolduc, Snuggerud). Blues fans think we may have crushed 2023 draft considering a huge D+1 year for many.​
goal - the NHL level is set for a bit with Binnington/Hofer. ok prospects developing.​
picks 16, 48, 56, 81, 95 in the first three rounds this year​

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Blues fan moving to UPlace/Tacoma in two weeks. Pardon my intrusion. I want to understand your prospects so I am trying to slowly read up. Wondering if anyone has a synopsis on your drafted guys and their post draft development. Here's how I would do it for Blues prospect by position:

defense - Theo Lindstein (last year late 1st) has very high hockey IQ and has a floor of top four for this reason, projects as a #2-#4. We kind of expect him to be a fixture with Parayko and Matt Kessel, a highly mobile 6'3" RD in our top 4. Nobody else you need to know right now. We have no #1 in the pipeline or in the org it is our huge glaring org weakness.​
forward - bunch of incoming talent next 12-24 months to complement emerging two-way 1C Robert Thomas. C (top 6 Dvorsky, bottom 6 Dean), LW (Stenberg, Pekarcik, Stancl), RW (Bolduc, Snuggerud). Blues fans think we may have crushed 2023 draft considering a huge D+1 year for many.​
goal - the NHL level is set for a bit with Binnington/Hofer. ok prospects developing.​

Welcome to the Puget Sound and Salish Sea!

Maybe I'll get around to drafting a summary like that. You can check out our prospect pages and prospect rankings threads.

Pekarcik, btw, was one of my favorite prospects to watch in his draft year, I had him in my first round.

Reactions: PocketNines

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006

Check on page 11 of the "offseason chatter" thread. It's more by player than position group, but, was a pretty good breakdown.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Here's my final list!

This is generic for any team. For the Kraken I'd probably swing a little higher, our prospect pool is relatively balanced but we lack high end talent. So I'd go a little lower for us on MBN, Surin, Dickinson, etc.. and take bigger swings.

The notes at the end are largely what I've been posting here for months.

Macklin Celebrini
C
Ivan Demidov
F
Zeev Buium
LD
Cayden Lindstrom
F
Beckett Sennecke
W
Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
F
Carter Yakemchuk
RD
Tij Iginla
W
Berkly Catton
W
Jesse Pulkkinen
LD
Jett Luchanko
F
Konsta Helenius
C
Stian Solberg
LD
Anton Silayev
LD
Yegor Surin
C
Sam Dickinson
LD
Zayne Parekh
RD
Alfons Freij
LD
Julius Miettinen
C
Igor Chernyshev
W
Marek Vanacker
W

Notes:

- I think the consensus is probably wrong about Brandsegg-Nygard's upside. He's probably never a very good rush player but there are indeed many excellent topline players in the NHL who mostly thrive off of the cycle / forecheck. Those players are if anything more rare. He wins the large majorities of his battles, is very smart defensively, and of course has an elite shot. He reminds me of a stronger version of Oliver Bjorkstrand. A little bit of Landeskog as well.

- He's an overager but if my team drafted Jesse Pulkkinen 10th-15th a year ago I'd be very happy with how his last year has gone. He has elite tools. I love the defense. There's NHL shutdown upside at 6'6. I love the way he reads defenders when he is attacking with the puck. The adaptive intelligence is high end. He'll need to get quicker and learn a lot more at both ends, but the pace of improvement makes me inclined to bet on this player.

- I saw Anton Silayev a lot at both the KHL and MHL level and I think the visions of him scoring 40 pts are pure fantasy. His KHL production was very good for his age but it looks like random points when I watch it. He rarely shows offensive initiative. This will be a shutdown D, and a very good one.

- Yegor Surin is a wild beast. He reminds me a lot of Brandon Dubinsky. He plays a lot like Sam Bennett as well. But he's stronger than both, a tremendous athlete. The competitiveness is off the charts. I think he'll be a strong matchup center that can take on anyone.

- I like Dickinson and Parekh a fait bit, I wanted to move them higher because they both looked impressive to me in the Memorial Cup. I just had too many players that I liked a bit more. It's a deep draft for me up until around pick 21. Dickinson I expect to top out at minimum as a second pair guy, and he might be a #2D. Parekh could end up as one of the best players in this class, and I'm even seeing his D game improve a lot. He'll always get pushed around in his zone though, and my big concern is injuries - there is a high bust risk if he keeps getting hurt this often.

- The big omission is of course Levshunov. There are many D in the NHL who have the physical tools to be #1Ds but lack the thinking. It's not tools that separates the best from the rest. Levshunov is largely just tools. His passing game reminds me of Jack Johnson. I don't think he has improved that much either over the course of the year, and I'm hearing from the Blackbook that his trajectory is somewhat oversold, he's been a specimen and a top prospect for years now. I think you can draft him higher but the team will have to mold him into something more structured and less dynamic. I don't think he has the hockey sense to succeed playing a rover game.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
That's awesome did you let Dickinson fall to the Blues because I said we needed a #1D? (fwiw I see him as the ultra safe 2-4D too)

(obviously I personally prefer a Buium pipe dream)

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
McKenzie's 2024 draft ranking delayed a day. Easy to see why he doesn't want to get upstaged. TSN (our ESPN) is wall-to-wall Edmonton Oilers and Game Seven today. My guess is that approximately 27 Canadians out of a population of 39 million won't be watching the game tonight. Everybody else will be glued to a screen somewhere.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
^^^^^^^
Some gutsy calls there.

I've asked myself many times "Did I really see that?" and "Did I see an outlier game?". It makes me go and watch more games of the player.

Levshunov, for example, I've seen about 15 times. I watched him very closely. I figure if I go through that much of a process, then I should just report what I see, and let other folks figure out what to make of it.

Reactions: kihei

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I've asked myself many times "Did I really see that?" and "Did I see an outlier game?". It makes me go and watch more games of the player.

Levshunov, for example, I've seen about 15 times. I watched him very closely. I figure if I go through that much of a process, then I should just report what I see, and let other folks figure out what to make of it.
You are not the only one questioning Levshunov either. Sure, it is possible he still goes top-3 but I have seen quite a few draft rankings (not mocks) which have him being drafted at 10 or so. Black Book being one of them.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I just saw this - the over/under on Zeev Buium's draft position is set at 7.5

God don't toy with us like that.
LOL.

I am honestly pretty chill, at this moment, about the draft. So many good options. Give me a D-man outside of Yakemchuk and I will take it. Even Levshunov is fine at 8 because he has a very high ceiling IF he pans out. I am actually starting to like Parekh as my #2 behind Buium.

I wonder if Francis (and other GM's) have deals for draft days around trading their pick, if the prospect they really wanted is gone before they pick.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I just saw this - the over/under on Zeev Buium's draft position is set at 7.5

God don't toy with us like that.
Gimme the "under," sadly.

Final Draft Ranking/Top 32

Celebrini
Demidov
Buium
Silayev
Lindstrom
Iginla
Parekh
Eiserman
Dickinson
Catton

Solberg
Levshunov
Jiricek
MBN
Lessecke
Cherynsov
Freij
Yakemchuk
Helenius
Hage

Luchanko
Stiga
Artamonov
Connelly
Greentree
Hutson
Letourneau
Badinka
Richie
Surin

Emery
Wallenius

Eiserman sneaks back into my top ten.
Silayev stays unfashionably high.
Jiricek gets a nice boost. If we picked him, I wouldn't complain.
Stiga is the biggest riser.
Letourneau is probably too high, but what a potential beast if whoever drafts him is patient.
Freij probably is too high, too, but I liked him the first time I saw his videos and I like him now.

And I get the feeling that Chicago is about to make a terrible mistake.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nothing super-surprising in the Top 16, though Dickinson at #6 caught my attention.
Biggest riser is #20 Solberg who moved up 25 places.

I would be very happy if we picked Parekh at #8. But I try putting Parekh and Francis on that Las Vegas stage together and all I get is fuzzy static and the earth starts to shake.

According to McKenzie, we would also have, in order, Helenius, Iginla, Sennecke, Catton, Yakemchuk, Eiserman, and Jiricek among which to choose.
Can't see Ron picking Eiserman, either. So, my preferred order for the remaining possibilities would be: Iginla, Catton, Jiricek, Sennecke, Yakemchuk, Helenius.

It's going to be Helenius. :cry::scared::madfire: :banghead::vampire:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Nothing super-surprising in the Top 16, though Dickinson at #6 caught my attention.

I would be very happy if we picked Parekh at #8. But I try putting Parekh and Francis on that Las Vegas stage together and all I get is fuzzy static and the earth starts to shake.

According to McKenzie, we would also have, in order, Helenius, Iginla, Sennecke, Catton, Yakemchuk, Eiserman, and Jiricek among which to choose.
Can't see Ron picking Eiserman, either. So, my preferred order for the remaining possibilities would be: Iginla, Catton, Jiricek, Sennecke, Yakemchuk, Helenius.

I have been thinking of this as a Francis pick from the start. Responsible 2 way forward who is close to stepping into the NHL. High floor, low ceiling. Finnish. Checks pretty much all the boxes. Which is why, I have been kind of open to trading this pick ... if it makes sense.

Really really hoping he proves me wrong.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I guess if one of the scouts tell Francis to draft Parekh we might see this...
giphy.webp

Well, Helenius has been the guy I've been predicting as a perfect Francis draft prospect.

200 feet, responsible player doing a bit of everything but nothing speical.

I guess him or Dickinson(on the defensive side) should be the ones we should expect to be Kraken come Friday night....
giphy.webp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad