GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I understand why teams wouldn't make a trade given the situation. That is pretty obvious. The Rangers do have a legit gripe though the way the supposed "NTC" wink wink, was circumvented by his agent if the reports are true.
What's the gripe?

A player is free not to report to a team and forfeit their contract. Patrick Berglund ring a bell? Remember that shit storm of embarrassment for the teams?

Reactions: UnSandvich

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Maybe we just never give a contract to anyone ever again, or maybe people finally start realizing these players are real people with real lives along with a hockey career

So never trade anyone again because of it?

I just don't understand why Trouba is so different from anyone else who has to deal with being traded.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
No. I do not.

I don't blame him for not wanting to move himself and his family. No player wants to be traded. I get it he's human like everyone else.

My point is why does he get to stop a trade because of it but anyone else just has to deal with it? It's not like this isn't part of being a pro athlete.

I'm sure other players with successful wives have been traded as have players with children
He can't move his family!?

That's the entire point. His wife can't move and there is no world that he would move and take the infant child away from his wife/it's mom.

This isn't him not wanting to move his family, he literally can't move them until next summer...

So never trade anyone again because of it?

I just don't understand why Trouba is so different from anyone else who has to deal with being traded.
Im not being a smart ass, but do you realize his family literally can't move right now bc of his wife's residency? She can't move until next summer. So either he leaves his family or rips his kid away from his wife until she can move. Both are a disaster and teams would be beyond stupid to expect his to perform even semi decent with that kind of off ice drama at play. This isn't complicated. It's a unique situation.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
It's amazing how Brooks completely backed off all his previous Trouba reporting in that last article but then continues to throw out more rumors further down the article. "Sources report that the Red Wings deal was not on the table." "The suggestion that Trouba rejected a trade is not true." Uhhhh are these the same sources who told you the opposite three days ago or is this a new set of sources? Why exactly are we believing anything Brooks says on this story at this point?

I listen to every episode of the 32 Thoughts Podcast. When Friedman started talking about this topic on the last episode he prefaced it by saying he was thoroughly confused and unsure about the entire Trouba situation. Now I know why and props to him for not pretending like he knows everything the way Uncle Larry continues to do.
Brooks is a hack. I have said this for years. People still live and die by what he writes like it's gospel.

What's the gripe?

A player is free not to report to a team and forfeit their contract. Patrick Berglund ring a bell? Remember that shit storm of embarrassment for the teams?
Ok good. Then forfeit the contract for actively circumventing the NTC. We save 8 million a year.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
No. I do not.

I don't blame him for not wanting to move himself and his family. No player wants to be traded. I get it he's human like everyone else.

My point is why does he get to stop a trade because of it but anyone else just has to deal with it? It's not like this isn't part of being a pro athlete.

I'm sure other players with successful wives have been traded as have players with children
Because like pretty much every other facet of business and life in general the squeaky wheel gets the grease. It's amazing the amount of stuff you can get that you don't actually have a right to if you're just willing to push a little harder or do things that others aren't willing to do. This type of stuff happens every day in the NBA and NFL to the point where nobody even is surprised about it and it hardly gets reported on. Hockey players are generally not as willing to push the issue which is why people who primarily follow hockey are making Trouba out to be a war criminal right now.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It's amazing how Brooks completely backed off all his previous Trouba reporting in that last article but then continues to throw out more rumors further down the article. "Sources report that the Red Wings deal was not on the table." "The suggestion that Trouba rejected a trade is not true." Uhhhh are these the same sources who told you the opposite three days ago or is this a new set of sources? Why exactly are we believing anything Brooks says on this story at this point?

I listen to every episode of the 32 Thoughts Podcast. When Friedman started talking about this topic on the last episode he prefaced it by saying he was thoroughly confused and unsure about the entire Trouba situation. Now I know why and props to him for not pretending like he knows everything the way Uncle Larry continues to do.
Brooks was doing Drury's bidding using the media to force this situation through. It's beyond obvious what was happening. Now brooks is starting damage control for Drury bc he knows he cant just force this through the way he wanted

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
He can't move his family!?

That's the entire point. His wife can't move and there is no world that he would move and take the infant child away from his wife/it's mom.

This isn't him not wanting to move his family, he literally can't move them until next summer...

Im not being a smart ass, but do you realize his family literally can't move right now bc of his wife's residency? She can't move until next summer. So either he leaves his family or rips his kid away from his wife until she can move. Both are a disaster and teams would be beyond stupid to expect his to perform even semi decent with that kind of off ice drama at play. This isn't complicated. It's a unique situation.

I understand the situation with his wife. Not sure why I keep wording it the way I am by saying "move his family"

There just needs to be something we get in return here. I realize there's not but we want to move on from a player with a massive cap hit and we just can't do it. There's no way out even though we structured the contract to be able to move him this summer

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Brooks is a hack. I have said this for years. People still live and die by what he writes like it's gospel.

Ok good. Then forfeit the contract for actively circumventing the NTC. We save 8 million a year.
Except we literally need a 3rd pair Rd and the market is bare. Also this is what I was pushing about on the weekend when people kept saying the deal would go through on Monday after the NTC became active. I said all along if he was going to go a long with a deal on the NTC then that same deal could easily go through even on the nmc with his same consent. It didn't and there was a reason why. People shit on it Saturday when I shared info. Look where we are...

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
No one should dim your light - but want to clarify, I didn't mean they got lucky just last year. A coin flip series against Carolina means they got lucky in my book, but its not the bad kind, just the typical luck you need to move on. Carolina played fine. I am saying for them to win the cup, they would need to get really really lucky rounds 2, 3, and 4 next year and beyond with this group. With Trouba playing meaningful minutes, they cannot win the cup. He is that bad.

Carolina will be the same system - meaning we can beat them but they will be very good. Florida we still don't match up well, their top end is still better. Toronto got a bit better. NJD got better, Boston got another player. We, so far, kept Trouba. I mean, I am hoping for a defensive miracle, but you don't bet on miracles!
Oh stop. This is such an overdramatic group.

You want to go over some of the defensemen who have won cups in recent years?

The problem is Trouba’s salary relative to his on ice play. If he was a free agent looking for 3 million per then teams would line up for him.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I understand the situation with his wife. Not sure why I keep wording it the way I am by saying "move his family"

There just needs to be something we get in return here. I realize there's not but we want to move on from a player with a massive cap hit and we just can't do it. There's no way out even though we structured the contract to be able to move him this summer
Why is that his problem?

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
link of this? if this was happening to the devils i would be enjoying it gleefully. i'm pretty sure only people who care about this are rangers fans
Link to what? Have you read the past five pages of this thread? People are acting like Trouba is Saddam Hussein because he doesn't want to abruptly move his family. In hockey circles this is like a top ten controversy of the decade meanwhile NFL and NBA players do this stuff every day and no one even notices because it's so common place.

Who cares. It is what it is. Drury blew it. Do better next time. All our favorite Rangers players are texting Trouba congratulations right now for sticking it to management and looking forward to seeing him in the locker room in a few months.

This ******* ridiculousness is actually going to make me start liking Trouba.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004

There is, but you need another team to claim him and then have him not report so the contract is voided. It's not going to happen through. No team wants to be a part of this mess. That's why these kind of things usually don't become public and are behind closed doors. Everyone that kept blaming the nyr org for leaking the trade too early missed the boat when I said it came from Jake and Kurt. They tainted the market (legally) so no one would pursue this. They win. Not every player has already made 50 million and has a wife that's a doctor. Trouba could just walk from the contract if push comes to shove

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Except we literally need a 3rd pair Rd and the market is bare. Also this is what I was pushing about on the weekend when people kept saying the deal would go through on Monday after the NTC became active. I said all along if he was going to go a long with a deal on the NTC then that same deal could easily go through even on the nmc with his same consent. It didn't and there was a reason why. People shit on it Saturday when I shared info. Look where we are...
Im sure we will be able to fill that 3D spot with an extra 8 million in the bank.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
He should have taken $7.5M and asked for a full NMC if he really wanted to guarantee the timeline and give his wife a year of delay. Once they got up to the current contract, offer Gorton to reduce it to $7.5M in exchange for full NMC but he didn't.
He's going to get the same outcome and make the 8 instead of that 7.5. He wins regardless

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Wouldn't that be grounds to terminate his contract?
So… a team is going to trade for his salary thinking he either may not show up or might be a malcontent? Sounds like a headache no one wants.

The Rangers gave him a 56 million dollar contract. He doesn’t have to bend over backwards to help them trade him, but he should abide by the contract terms respectfully.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
He should have taken $7.5M and asked for a full NMC if he really wanted to guarantee the timeline and give his wife a year of delay. Once they got up to the current contract, offer Gorton to reduce it to $7.5M in exchange for full NMC but he didn't.

There's no guarantee Gorton would've said yes to that though. I mean look how crippling Zibadejad's contract is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad