Confirmed with Link: Kovacevic Traded to the Devils for 2026 4th Round pick (Highest of the three 4th Rounders the Devils own)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
No one's arguing if they fall behind they'll be left behind. But they're going to give them every opportunity not to be. No need to force it.

This is a huge year for both Harris and Barron if they want to stick around long term.

They have serious competitions breathing down their necks, I guess people are uncomfortable with that because it's the first time it happen in over 2 decades in Habsland.

No one is arguing to make trades for the sake of making trades, Harris and Barron are better be ready from day#1 at camp because like the rest, nothing will be handed out to them.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Hi friends. Question from Jersey. Did Kovacevic ever penalty kill? Thanks.
Everyone here with agree with this sentiment. The best part about kovacevic most of the time is you don't ever notice him. That's the mark of a steady Dman. Solid #7 that can jump in at any time and not cause problems

Reactions: Tyson

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Winnipeg tried to trade him, and got nothing, so they were forced to put him on waivers, and we took him. He played 2 decent years for us as a stop gap, and is OK as a 7th D/depth guy.

A 4th is about right for him. Good trade. Good asset management by making it a 2026 too since we have a shitload of picks in 2025, including two 4ths already.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Why do I get the feeling that there will be plenty of movement of defencemen between Laval and Montreal this season?
Unless there is a lot of injury, probably not that much unless more NHL Ds are traded. Only Guhle and Xhekaj have any waiver exemption for a good amount of games left (around 45 and 60 if I remember right). Struble only has 14 NHL games left before he needs waivers.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
They have serious competitions breathing down their necks.

It's a beautiful thing, best type of problem to have.

They have serious competitions breathing down their necks, I guess people are uncomfortable with that because it's the first time it happen in over 2 decades in Habsland..

Uncomfortable? It's wonderful.

No one is arguing to make trades for the sake of making trades, Harris and Barron are better be ready from day#1 at camp because like the rest, nothing will be handed out to them.

If not traded before the season starts I promise you, both Harris and Barron will be in the starting lineup to begin the new campaign regardless.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Unless there is a lot of injury, probably not that much unless more NHL Ds are traded. Only Guhle and Xhekaj have any waiver exemption for a good amount of games left (around 45 and 60 if I remember right). Struble only has 14 NHL games left before he needs waivers.
We have so many players that look ready to play and now we have Mailloux, Hutson and potentially Reinbacher to add to the lot. More trades will happen, I can't see Hughes keeping so many defencemen around.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He is the best young free agent RH defenseman. It would be a great addition for the Habs if they could sigh him at a decnt price for five years.
If that was the thinking Hughes would have kept Kovasevic. We have some young RD right around the corner, no need to add more traffic jam.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Going into a training camp having already decided where eager prospects are going to play is not a recipe for success in my opinion.

I think they're making room for competition at camp.

Matheson - Guhle
Harris - Savard
Xhekaj - XXXXX

Struble/Hutson will compete with Harris/Xhekaj for a spot.

Barron/Mailloux/Reinbacher for that final spot on 3rd pair.

Kovacevic was not part of our future plans. He was a good stop gap, though.

He's also blocking a roster spot. I would not be surprised if Montreal goes 13F, 7D, keeping one roster spot open, to allow movement up & down from Laval.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
It's a beautiful thing, best type of problem to have.

Uncomfortable? It's wonderful.

If not traded before the season starts I promise you, both Harris and Barron will be in the starting lineup to begin the new campaign.

Well duh... It's a given that if they manage to hold to their spots they won't be moved and will play.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Ah too bad
Liked him for what he was
Thanks for the Service bud
Not thrilled about shipping out a RD tho..?
We have too many LDs lol
Don't want Guhle at RD anymore
But maybe this puts Mailloux in NHL next year bottom pair?

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Sure it's possible if Hughes likes the return.

As for out of time, moving Kovy and putting Struble in Laval buys time.

Agreed but likely just moves the goalposts by a couple of months which is possible as they may wait for early season injuries with other teams to gain leverage and protect against potential injuries on the home-front.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
How is getting a 2026 4th round pick for a fringe NHLer a major L and you insinuate that a 2025 would be better when we already have a ton of 2025 picks?????? This is just a hyperbolic response that is without merit.

It is not even possible to take a "major L" when trading Kovacevic who we would have lost on waivers anyways .

Dude, he's being sarcastic.

Besides, it's better for your health if you just assume that anyway.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I understand that we have too many NHL Dman but it wasn’t clear to me that he should be the odd man out yet… I can see /understand that Barron need to stay in the NHL, Mailloux might be over the AHL and even Reinbacher might be knocking at the door I’ll trust that they will make the right choice But a 4th seem like really mediocre return for a guy with is cap hit even if I won’t expect anything significant it is still underwhelming.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Hi friends. Question from Jersey. Did Kovacevic ever penalty kill? Thanks.

Yes, he did. He was pretty decent at it, too. He's big & has a good reach. He's a #6/#7 defensemen. Even though, he's big, he often isn't very physical and can get abused on the forecheck. He's a decent depth defensemen.

Reactions: jrom

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Dude, he's being sarcastic.

Besides, it's better for your health if you just assume that anyway.
It was not clear that his response was sarcastic at all given the mountain of absolutely mindless post that have polluted these boards in the last week.

Hopefully it was sarcasm but you can hardly blame me because that is exactly the type of response that is common place and coming off of all of the sheep bleeting aimlessly that day 2 of the draft was a failure lol.

I would be more than happy to have been wrong but I suspect the poster would have corrected me if that was the case.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
It was not clear that his response was sarcastic at all given the mountain of absolutely mindless post that have polluted these boards in the last week.

Hopefully it was sarcasm but you can hardly blame me because that is exactly the type of response that is common place and coming off of all of the sheep bleeting aimlessly that day 2 of the draft was a failure lol.

I would be more than happy to have been wrong but I suspect the poster would have corrected me if that was the case.
I already did, see post #166

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2