HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
PuckPedia is working on an armchair GM mode it seems. But I hate their interface, too blog for my taste.

Yep, no reason to buyout Gallagher if he can continue to play like he did at the end of the season with Newhook. Overpaid, but not useless.

Anderson can sit in the stands until his contract is done, since I don't think they will need his cap space in the next 3 season.
My preference is that we dont buy anyone and as you said, there is no need in the short term anyway.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
lmao people are complaining about not signing bloated contracts that do nothing for us but impede our young players growth and eventual ability to resign them??

This has been a near picture perfect dream off-season so far.

1. An amazing draft (Demidov +Hage)
2. Slaf 8 yr extension
3. No bloated contracts on FA day
4. Hughes working the phones for some trades. Who knows maybe we add a zegras, necas, or McGroaty

Cant wait to see the habs back in action. Finally I can feel this team is legit in good hands

Last edited:

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
I wouldn’t buyout anyone until I know this team is a Division/Conference favorite and I need that cap flexibility.

Otherwise there’s no point IMO, just continue eating the salary until it becomes possible to get rid of it at a minimum cost or just let it run out.

If one or both of them make the team actively worse, I can see the front office thinking about it. I don't think either of them is a problem in the room so that would be a different matter than what the Wild did (Suter really seems like a cancer, two buyouts in a few years)

Gallagher is somewhat harmless because he's not too much of a liability defensively and can get under the skin of other players, but Anderson was a net negative last season. If he continues on this path, getting rid of him could be worth it if the teams really wants to try making the playoffs in 2025-2026. The buyout penalty isn't that bad

Reactions: 417

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Okay but even if someone like Marchessault isn't productive for the entirety of the contract, wouldn't there still be worth to him being productive for 2-3 years and helping our guys along?
IMO yes but not enough value to eat the back end. If we were a team like Detroit that was already very close then yeah I think if Marchessault puts you over the edge into the playoffs that's worth it, but otherwise no.
Then if he sucks, you find a way to deal with it like other teams in the league do but you still got those positive years out of him that helped you take the next steps even if he's not there for a Cup run or something.
For sure, but we could also just bring in a different veteran who isn't going to require more cap gymnastics in the future and not doing anything over the last week doesn't mean we'll do nothing all summer. Slafkovsky, Caufield, and Newhook are pencilled in to top 6 wing slots it's just too blatantly obvious a hole for them to do nothing. It probably won't be a player of Marchessault's calibre (although I guess it could still feasibly be Necas/Ehlers/Laine/McGroarty) but I'm certain we'll add someone that rounds out the 2nd line with Dach and Newhook. Maybe Tarasenko or some other trade target we're not aware is even available right now.

With that said as I was typing this a Mathieu Joseph trade just came through (Ottawa dumped him with a pick to St. Louis) and that's something I would have genuinely liked to do and I'm disappointed we didn't get him. However, Ottawa does seem to be one of those teams that hates trading within the division so maybe not an option.

Reactions: Andy

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
lmao people are complaining about not signing bloated contracts that do nothing for us but impede our young players growth and eventual ability to resign them??

2. Slaf 8 yr extension
4. Hughes working the phones for some calls. Who knows maybe we add a zegras, necas, or McGroaty

Cant wait to see the habs back in action. Finally I can feel this team is legit in good hands

People should have known this for 2 and a half years but they were coping hard because of the recent history of crap management. It'll be interesting who they bring over. A big Ufa signing is not necessary. Id rather them explore TDL in their competitive years to go after needed rentals that won't adversely affect the cap of the team going forward. Use another year to fully build up your pipeline with the 2025 draft, then don't be afraid to start expending draft capital every year. This only hurts teams like Toronto, etc. because those teams never build up their prospect depth in the first place

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn’t buyout anyone until I know this team is a Division/Conference favorite and I need that cap flexibility.

Otherwise there’s no point IMO, just continue eating the salary until it becomes possible to get rid of it at a minimum cost or just let it run out.

Buy out talk for the Habs is ignorant talk. Reasons to buy players out are:

1) Cap space issues. Buyouts sometimes clears it up a bit. Habs do not have cap issues for 5+ years.
2) Problem in the room. None of our vets are problems in the room
3) Playing them in high usage roles? Nope! We are playing them bottom 6 min's.
4) Blocking someone young? Also No! Only top 6 guy we have that needs opportunity is Roy and there is space for him.

Dvorak, Armia, Savard expire at the end of this season. All 3 can help this roster with what they provide and how we used them last season.

Anderson and Gallagher have 3 years left. They both overlap Dach by one year. It's possible buy out talk comes when they have one year left. Not today

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
My preference is that we dont buy anyone and as you said, there is no need in the short term anyway.
There is no need to buy anyone out this season. If we are desperate to create space the waiver wire will work just fine.
There are a number of contracts due to terminate that we can simply eat with our Cap Space.
If I was a player on one of them I wouldn't be entering camp feeling super comfortable.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
Funny, I was gona say the opposite, Anderson as Gally finished the season somewhat on a better note and can bring some leadership from the 4th line.

Josh is just.... useless if he not putting up pts
I think he's going to have a big bounceback year. If Dach, Roy, Newhook are healthy he will be fed the puck much more and be ok on the PP2.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I feel like the Hughes regime has been about leveraging cap space to explore trade opportunities (like the Monahan case that paid off extremely well already and still has dividend in store next draft).

From this framework, I don't see an issue not blowing our freed up cap on an UFA. Though I'd have liked a Stamkos or Marchessault for the show next season, I doubt we'd be getting them at the price tag they signed, you'd probably have to add an extra 1-2M$ to the contracts they signed.

Patience is key, I fully expect we'll be able to take advantage of a team needing to unload someone over the course of the summer. We've got a bunch of assets to pull off a trade and should be able to add a player closer in age to our core.

Reactions: overlords

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

2. Slaf 8 yr extension
4. Hughes working the phones for some calls. Who knows maybe we add a zegras, necas, or McGroaty

At Gorton's press conference he also said it was unlikely they'd make a splash at free agency so this isn't even a surprise lol. If Kane made it to free agency, I am sure they would've tried harder to get him on a short-term deal like Detroit did, but aside from that any guys who might've made sense ended up signing 4+ years which doesn't agree with HuGo's plan.

As for the open market, he says the Habs brass has gone through scenarios of what kind of players they might be looking at in that instance, but that it is likely too soon to make the biggest splash in the free agent pool on July 1 or beyond.

“I think it’s too soon. We’ll look and see what those big names are thinking. They have to be thinking the same thing we are too. We have a lot of young players that are developing and opportunities that they need to play. I wouldn’t want to stunt somebody’s growth for an older player on a longer-term deal that would setback the rebuild,” Gorton told reporters.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oilers are way over the cap still with Broberg and Hollaway to sign....they have to trade Kane for sure but he has a full NMC.

I would imagine that they already know the teams Kane would open up too and have tentative deals in place. Otherwise, it would be incredibly stupid to sign all those guys and then try to move Kane later.

I think he's going to have a big bounceback year. If Dach, Roy, Newhook are healthy he will be fed the puck much more and be ok on the PP2.

Depends on usage. I don't see a rebound from Anderson in a bottom 6 role or 10-12 min's a game. Gallagher and Anderson contradict each other on that 3rd RW spot. One of them is playing 4th line IMO.

Reactions: Habs

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
IMO yes but not enough value to eat the back end. If we were a team like Detroit that was already very close then yeah I think if Marchessault puts you over the edge into the playoffs that's worth it, but otherwise no.

For sure, but we could also just bring in a different veteran who isn't going to require more cap gymnastics in the future and not doing anything over the last week doesn't mean we'll do nothing all summer. Slafkovsky, Caufield, and Newhook are pencilled in to top 6 wing slots it's just too blatantly obvious a hole for them to do nothing. It probably won't be a player of Marchessault's calibre (although I guess it could still feasibly be Necas/Ehlers/Laine/McGroarty) but I'm certain we'll add someone that rounds out the 2nd line with Dach and Newhook. Maybe Tarasenko or some other trade target we're not aware is even available right now.

With that said as I was typing this a Mathieu Joseph trade just came through (Ottawa dumped him with a pick to St. Louis) and that's something I would have genuinely liked to do and I'm disappointed we didn't get him. However, Ottawa does seem to be one of those teams that hates trading within the division so maybe not an option.

I hope you're right because going into the season with that hole is a terrible idea and sends a bad message to the group IMO.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
At Gorton's press conference he also said it was unlikely they'd make a splash at free agency so this isn't even a surprise lol. If Kane made it to free agency, I am sure they would've tried harder to get him on a short-term deal like Detroit did, but aside from that any guys who might've made sense ended up signing 4+ years which doesn't agree with HuGo's plan.

As for the open market, he says the Habs brass has gone through scenarios of what kind of players they might be looking at in that instance, but that it is likely too soon to make the biggest splash in the free agent pool on July 1 or beyond.

“I think it’s too soon. We’ll look and see what those big names are thinking. They have to be thinking the same thing we are too. We have a lot of young players that are developing and opportunities that they need to play. I wouldn’t want to stunt somebody’s growth for an older player on a longer-term deal that would setback the rebuild,” Gorton told reporters.
100%

exactly

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad