News Article: Kovacevic: Time to trade Letang could be now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ObsessedCreative*

I wouldn't call the Kings game an amazing defensive performance. It probably was more about the Kings offensive woes than anything we did. I do like our PP better without Letang and it certainly was clicking without him last night. It was a huge factor in that game. LA is an offensively challenged team that is not built to play from behind or win games where they need to score 4 or 5 goals to win the game. The early Pens PP goals immediately took them out of their comfort zone, imo.

I was there in person ten rows from the ice watching the whole game.

If you don't think the pens as a whole played a well rounded solid d game, keeping people to the corners, clogging lanes, blocking shots, well then I am sorry to hear that you are blind.

Not to mention kept the game physical without resorting to THIS type of garbage...

kris%2Bletnag%2Bshh.png

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The Kings are really bad offensively. The Pens looking good minus Letang yesterday is more if a testament to the Kings' offensive woes than Letang's poor defensive play.

And yet Brooks Orpik still managed to suck last night. Sometimes, it's about our team, not the opposition.

penguins2946*

And yet Brooks Orpik still managed to suck last night. Sometimes, it's about our team, not the opposition.

No, Orpik is just trash. Orpik sucking has to do with Orpik sucking, not with who they're playing. The D playing well without Letang is more on the Kings for being offensively challenged. Letang's defensive issues don't make our D bad.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Really odd to me how much LA struggles offensively with Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Williams, Brown, etc in their top 6.

penguins2946*

Really odd to me how much LA struggles offensively with Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Williams, Brown, etc in their top 6.

Their issue is weird. Some teams (like Winnipeg in the Noel era) are terrible defensively because they don't follow a system. The Kings are the opposite. They follow a defensive system so much that they struggle offensively.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
No, Orpik is just trash. Orpik sucking has to do with Orpik sucking, not with who they're playing. The D playing well without Letang is more on the Kings for being offensively challenged. Letang's defensive issues don't make our D bad.

Worst part is that I can see this team looking to re-sign Orpik before they re-sign someone like Niskanen.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Which is exactly what I said.

Worst part is that I can see this team looking to re-sign Orpik before they re-sign someone like Niskanen.

We don't need either.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I hate being negative but last night Orpik was the only player who stood out for me the wrong way. Very shaky with the puck in our own end.

I keep watching the play where Williams got in alone on the breakaway. I'm honestly trying to be Orpik's mother in the crowd, trying to defend her son in any possible way to explain why he inexplicably drifted over AWAY from where the danger was.

I can't do it.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I keep watching the play where Williams got in alone on the breakaway. I'm honestly trying to be Orpik's mother in the crowd, trying to defend her son in any possible way to explain why he inexplicably drifted over AWAY from where the danger was.

I can't do it.

That was his worst move of the night, for sure. It's a three-goal lead in the third period, there is NO reason for a step-up there. No reason to do anything other than play your left defense position and counter the right-winger's attack.

His brain farts are egregious, and they're getting more frequent.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
That was his worst move of the night, for sure. It's a three-goal lead in the third period, there is NO reason for a step-up there. No reason to do anything other than play your left defense position and counter the right-winger's attack.

His brain farts are egregious, and they're getting more frequent.

And of course, he gets a solid "B" from fat boy Madden in his mid season report card.

You know what else I keep looking back at? Bergeron's OT goal in game 3 last year. It's like our shutdown D-man doesn't realize that Bergeron may actually try to redirect Marchand's pass with his stick.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

I'm glad that is just your opinion and not an actual statement from the Pens. As much as I question many of their moves, I don't even think they're THAT stupid to choose Orpik over Niskanen.

We don't need either.

Well, I think we need at least 2 of the 3 of Martin, Letang and Niskanen. But even if they wanted to keep the first 2 and not Nisky, it would be smart to re-sign him (if possible, of course) and then trade him in 1-3 years when some of our young guys are ready.

To lose him for nothing would not be a smart move, IMO. To lose both Nisky AND Orpik for nothing would be stupid beyond belief.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I keep emphasizing this, though: You aren't trading a player because he's defective or you hate him or as punishment. No matter how many fans interpret it that way, that isn't the motivation. The concept is to trade something of value at a position of strength for something of value at a position of weakness. That's it.

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankov...513182-74/dejan-kovacevic-think#axzz2ryZTYYYP

Perfectly put. Move a valuable piece that is a luxury for a valuable piece that's a necessity. It's not about hating a guy, it's about wanting the Penguins to win Cups, and Letang's redundant.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
http://triblive.com/sports/dejankov...513182-74/dejan-kovacevic-think#axzz2ryZTYYYP

Perfectly put. Move a valuable piece that is a luxury for a valuable piece that's a necessity. It's not about hating a guy, it's about wanting the Penguins to win Cups, and Letang's redundant.

exactly. We have the defense to win without Letang at this point. When I am saying to trade Letang, that is with the assumption that he will get his game back to where it can be. I'd still be open to trading him. We need what he could bring back more than we need him. A defense with Martin, Maatta, Niskanen and Despres can move the puck just fine without Letang.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Well, I think we need at least 2 of the 3 of Martin, Letang and Niskanen. But even if they wanted to keep the first 2 and not Nisky, it would be smart to re-sign him (if possible, of course) and then trade him in 1-3 years when some of our young guys are ready.

To lose him for nothing would not be a smart move, IMO. To lose both Nisky AND Orpik for nothing would be stupid beyond belief.

I have always maintained that I'd be fine keeping ANY two among Martin, Letang and Niskanen. We agree there. Bortuzzo needs to play in that third right defense spot, so any of the two above would work perfectly well in the top four.

Where I disagree with you is the notion that if we lose both Niskanen and Orpik for nothing it would be a bad thing. Oh sure, I would be trying to trade them now instead, in order to actually get something for them. But if we can't do that, I'm perfectly OK with losing both. That's why we keep drafting defensemen, to replace those who become either too expensive to keep (Niskanen) or less effective players AND too expensive to keep (Orpik).

Saving money by replacing expensive UFA's who are sure to sign bad contracts with top prospects produced in the system should be the way to go. That is FAR better than losing a player to waivers because we have too many bodies. That's never smart.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
thing about Orpik sucking is he'll be the first to call out the team to the media when/if they have a rough stretch. he can suck it, if he's on the team next year I won't be happy about that.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I have always maintained that I'd be fine keeping ANY two among Martin, Letang and Niskanen. We agree there. Bortuzzo needs to play in that third right defense spot, so any of the two above would work perfectly well in the top four.

Where I disagree with you is the notion that if we lose both Niskanen and Orpik for nothing it would be a bad thing. Oh sure, I would be trying to trade them now instead, in order to actually get something for them. But if we can't do that, I'm perfectly OK with losing both. That's why we keep drafting defensemen, to replace those who become either too expensive to keep (Niskanen) or less effective players AND too expensive to keep (Orpik).

Saving money by replacing expensive UFA's who are sure to sign bad contracts with top prospects produced in the system should be the way to go. That is FAR better than losing a player to waivers because we have too many bodies. That's never smart.

Actually, we agree on both points. While I have said that I would like to trade Orpik now, I have admitted both that I don't think Shero would have the balls to that, AND that it would benefit us to have the depth (in the event of injury and general depth, not necessarily because of performance) to have them both on the team for this season's playoff run. I have said, and I still feel, that we should not be "buyers" (trading futures for rentals) nor "sellers" (even trading guys like Orpik for futures, which could be addition by subtraction to get Despres/Bortuzzo in there).

That being said, what I would like to see -- which is pretty much tantamount to buyers, but just doing it in a smart way -- is to make a legitimate hockey trade. It could be a one-for-one trade like Letang or Orpik+/Despres+ for (insert player here); or it could be a 3-way deal in which we trade a guy like Orpik for, say, a 1st, and then package that 1st with our own and/or one of our prospects for a top young player.

Being pure buyers-for-rentals at the deadline doesn't work. Well, it works if you get a superstar player like Hossa or Kovalchuk. So, this year, unless we're trading for Vanek, it doesn't work. Iginla+Morrow+Murray didn't make us a winner last year. Heck, for all we know, we could have gone just as far with the guys we already had in our organization.

But making a pure hockey trade, like Craig Patrick did in 1991 and 1992 when we won our Cups, CAN really make a big difference. We have compiled some excellent young assets, and we've got some very serviceable veteran players (Orpik/Martin/Niskanen/Letang) with which we could use to make a real hockey trade. I'm not saying it's going to happen. In fact, I'm quite pessimistic about something like that happening; but that WOULD be a smart, albeit, ballsy move if we could find the right trade.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Dejan Kovacevic: Gibbons is closest to really getting a role for himself. Too bad he doesn't kill penalties. That would do it.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankov...513182-74/dejan-kovacevic-think#ixzz2s7JhoKAm
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

He definitely can do it. That was his strongest suit in WBS, him and Megna killing penalties were a force. His speed was constantly making things happen on the PK. Breaking up plays and forcing the PP unit back. Kinda surprised he hasn't been used in that capacity, because he was terrific at it in WBS.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Dejan Kovacevic: Gibbons is closest to really getting a role for himself. Too bad he doesn't kill penalties. That would do it.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankov...513182-74/dejan-kovacevic-think#ixzz2s7JhoKAm

He definitely can do it. That was his strongest suit in WBS, him and Megna killing penalties were a force. His speed was constantly making things happen on the PK. Breaking up plays and forcing the PP unit back. Kinda surprised he hasn't been used in that capacity, because he was terrific at it in WBS.

has he earned PK time with years of NHL service blocking shots? No. Then he can't kill penalties. Only guys like Adams and Glass can handle such a difficult task.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

He gets worked over fighting for pucks along the boards in his own end. I think that's where the worry may be. Craig Adams, for all his faults, can at least win those battles somewhat consistently. Even though our PK hasn't been a threat to score in quite some time.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He gets worked over fighting for pucks along the boards in his own end. I think that's where the worry may be. Craig Adams, for all his faults, can at least win those battles somewhat consistently. Even though our PK hasn't been a threat to score in quite some time.

Adams may win a higher percentage of his battles, but Gibbons would still manage to win more puck battles simply by getting to the puck faster than Adams does.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
has he earned PK time with years of NHL service blocking shots? No. Then he can't kill penalties. Only guys like Adams and Glass can handle such a difficult task.

I was thinking of that......haha.

Yeah, very true mpp9. That is a legit reason.

That part of his game in WBS was definitely evident 5 on 5. On the PK, with more ice, and players a bit spread out due to the PP, it wasn't as much an issue, as when it did happen his speed could get him back in the play if that happened. But that is a valid concern.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I was thinking of that......haha.

Yeah, very true mpp9. That is a legit reason.

That part of his game in WBS was definitely evident 5 on 5. On the PK, with more ice, and players a bit spread out due to the PP, it wasn't as much an issue, as when it did happen his speed could get him back in the play if that happened. But that is a valid concern.

I'm trying to view games through the DB lense. Helps me stay more sane this season. He'd rather have a guy who will win more battle for pucks, even if Gibbons would be more of a net positive in other areas.

It'll be interesting how the PK looks in the playoffs. Last year, we were awful in the regular season, but it worked in the playoffs for the most part. This year, we're #1 in the league.

I worry that we haven't been dangerous at all shorthanded. You may need to score one of those eventually if you want to go deep in the playoffs. But then again, when you have Glass and Adams out there for 4+ minutes in that role, you get what you deserve.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

One thing I love is all of the people who think they dispel the whole 'Letang trade' idea by saying 'only a dummy thinks the Pens are better off without Letang', as if THAT somehow is the argument.

The real argument-- the only argument-- is whether the Pens would be better off with Letang or better off with what they have to replace Letang PLUS WHAT THEY COULD GET FOR LETANG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad