News Article: Kovacevic: Time to trade Letang could be now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Letang not on the ice for practice again, and will not play tonight. Has anyone heard from a useful source what the illness is? Maybe he has mono. Too many ladies lovin' the flow on the road. Or maybe Shero has trade fevah. Could be a crazy week. Saying the doctors are running tests to see if it's something more "long term", which would be an odd thing to say if they're making the whole thing up.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Yeah despite his summer workouts the guy has not been very durable the last couple seasons. Wonder if his diet plays a role, at least as far as the illness stuff. Might be one of those guys that does the hella-crazy workout regimen but doesn't eat right. God knows I didn't in my 20s. Even in my early 30s.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
On a positive note, its good to see Bortuzzo is playing good with the ice time he is getting. Too bad he will be back in the press box when Letang is back

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yeah despite his summer workouts the guy has not been very durable the last couple seasons. Wonder if his diet plays a role, at least as far as the illness stuff. Might be one of those guys that does the hella-crazy workout regimen but doesn't eat right. God knows I didn't in my 20s. Even in my early 30s.

Could be. Maybe he is one of those guys that overtrains, and that his body just can't hold up for an entire year at that pace. (wildly speculating here, of course)

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Or possibly the most frightening option: he changed his shampoo and conditioner and accidentally killed the power that used to propagate from the flow. And now that brand is no longer sold, so he jumps from shampoo to shampoo, desperate to re-energize said flow.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The migraine thing is also a possibility. Maybe he started getting them more frequently and they are running tests to make sure there isn't a bigger problem at play.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Bad haircut incident.

Bad-Haircut.jpg

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Or possibly the most frightening option: he changed his shampoo and conditioner and accidentally killed the power that used to propagate from the flow. And now that brand is no longer sold, so he jumps from shampoo to shampoo, desperate to re-energize said flow.

prnphotos096331-head-amp-shoulders-.jpg

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Letang not on the ice for practice again, and will not play tonight. Has anyone heard from a useful source what the illness is? Maybe he has mono. Too many ladies lovin' the flow on the road. Or maybe Shero has trade fevah. Could be a crazy week. Saying the doctors are running tests to see if it's something more "long term", which would be an odd thing to say if they're making the whole thing up.

IMO he's nursing a previous injury. It was kind of weird when he was in the press box with a bunch of people yukking it up during the Kings game but he was supposedly too sick to play. I don't think it's mono because Bylsma gave the excuse about running tests that you mentioned. It takes four plus days to figure out an illness? Unless he has some kind of House M.D.-esque disease I'd say he's banged up and, given their typical paranoia, they don't want team to know he reinjured something even if it's slight.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680657

A typical offseason day for Letang begins with a light breakfast and a 9 a.m. workout, followed by a snack and a skate at noon. Then lunch, a nap, perhaps another workout, supper and bed. There is no gluten or carbohydrates in any of those meals or snacks, just fruits and vegetables and protein (chicken, salmon or steak).

"I try to eat carbs-free because during the season we eat pasta before games, so I try to keep it as green as possible for the summer," Letang said. "Nutrition and working out has always been a passion for me over the summer, so it takes up 100 percent of my time."

Letang is a self-admitted fitness/health freak, so, while overtraining is a possibility, I doubt there's anything wrong with his diet.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
IMO he's nursing a previous injury. It was kind of weird when he was in the press box with a bunch of people yukking it up during the Kings game but he was supposedly too sick to play. I don't think it's mono because Bylsma gave the excuse about running tests that you mentioned. It takes four plus days to figure out an illness? Unless he has some kind of House M.D.-esque disease I'd say he's banged up and, given their typical paranoia, they don't want team to know he reinjured something even if it's slight.

This makes the most sense. I'll add in too that they don't want other teams to know he suffered yet another injury if they are thinking of trading him. If I was another team, the injury history is a major concern.

I'm sorry, but unless its something, which is still possible, he's not sick.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Not a doctor or nutritionist (just a hobby/interest), but if he's eating no carbs during the offseason, his body likely entered ketosis and his body will be running on fat ketones rather than glucose. His diet looks to consist of a small amount of fat, and he has no fat on his body, so it's possible the proteins are being converted to glucose, and he's avoiding ketosis but hard to tell. If he's not eating any other carbs during the season except for the pasta, the influx of carbohydrates will restore his glucose, and his body will switch to the normal function of using that form of energy. This is referred to as a TKD diet. Doing so can cause extreme headaches, especially for people who have been running on ketones for extended periods of time. I think he needs a new nutritionist that is studying the new data and studies that have been coming out over the past couple years.

Well folks, close the thread. This explains the issues with Letang.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Not a doctor or nutritionist (just a hobby/interest), but if he's eating no carbs during the offseason, his body likely entered ketosis and his body will be running on fat ketones rather than glucose. His diet looks to consist of a small amount of fat, and he has no fat on his body, so it's possible the proteins are being converted to glucose, and he's avoiding ketosis but hard to tell. If he's not eating any other carbs during the season except for the pasta, the influx of carbohydrates will restore his glucose, and his body will switch to the normal function of using that form of energy. This is referred to as a TKD diet. Doing so can cause extreme headaches, especially for people who have been running on ketones for extended periods of time. I think he needs a new nutritionist that is studying the new data and studies that have been coming out over the past couple years.

Your body can't enter ketosis if your eating some fruit every day. Plus, if you are not monitoring specifically for low carb intake, you get a fair amount from vegetables like onions, tomatoes, carrots, etc. But the fruit will keep him out of ketosis for sure.

It's basically sounds like he does the Paleo-diet in the offseason, which is what our ancestors evolved on before the invention of grain based agriculture. It's one of the healthiest ways to eat if you don't go crazy on the red meat and pork.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
Your body can't enter ketosis if your eating some fruit every day. Plus, if you are not monitoring specifically for low carb intake, you get a fair amount from vegetables like onions, tomatoes, carrots, etc. But the fruit will keep him out of ketosis for sure.

It's basically sounds like he does the Paleo-diet in the offseason, which is what our ancestors evolved on before the invention of grain based agriculture. It's one of the healthiest ways to eat if you don't go crazy on the red meat and pork.

1) Fruits are carbohydrates. 2) One can certainly be in ketosis and eating fruits (it would depend on how much/time of day or time before workout), especially someone who is working out all day and eating no other form of carbohyrates. The trace carbs from vegetables are very minimal. 3) Plenty of people on the paleo diet make sure they eat enough carbs to avoid ketosis, so it's definitely possible to be in ketosis while doing the paleo diet.

It's not like any of this really matters, it was just an observation from a quote he made.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Our ancestors DID NOT evolve from eating most, if not all of the fruits and vegetables we eat today. Nor did they evolve from eating farmed animals. Nearly everything we eat today is farmed so it's not accurate or appropriate to make any real connections to cave men.

Of course eating a ton of fruits, veggies, and lean proteins is healthy. We don't need some made up connection to cave men to tell us that.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
Without reading the whole thread, from start to finish, has anyone mentioned the potential that he is faking it in order to get beyond the trade deadline without being traded. If I were his agent, knowing that the best time for the Pens to trade him is now, I might suggest to him that an undisclosed illness may make it less likely that he be traded. At the very least, it would make it less likely that another team is going to offer up a deal that Shero can't refuse.

I'm guessing someone else had to have brought this up by now and there has probably been a disscussion about it, if so I appologize. This is sort of what I'm leaning towards though IMO.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Without reading the whole thread, from start to finish, has anyone mentioned the potential that he is faking it in order to get beyond the trade deadline without being traded. If I were his agent, knowing that the best time for the Pens to trade him is now, I might suggest to him that an undisclosed illness may make it less likely that he be traded. At the very least, it would make it less likely that another team is going to offer up a deal that Shero can't refuse.

I'm guessing someone else had to have brought this up by now and there has probably been a disscussion about it, if so I appologize. This is sort of what I'm leaning towards though IMO.

tin_foil_hat.gif

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I don't think that would do him any good. He'd need to pretend to be hurt until July 1st, I believe. Even then, his NTC is limited. He'd be sitting out half a year (and risk a suspension without pay) just to make sure he didn't get traded to Edmonton.

I'm more inclined to believe he drank a bottle of conditioner thinking it was a protein shake than that he's faking.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

:facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad