Rumor: Kotkaniemi Extension - 8 x $4.25-$4.5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Especially for a guy who is not a core player. He’s not one of the key 4/5 Hurricanes players. But again, they have upwards of 4 years to get out of the deal in terms of a cheap buyout that would cost them a dead cap of around a sore depth forward cap hit.

Good thing he’s getting nowhere near core players money.

They are obviously going for a big reward here with little risk

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Thats interesting - I didnt know that was a stipulation in the deal

Still would never go over four years for him, but a fifth with that clause after say year 3 wouldn't be so bad
Cody Hodgson got that buyout. Simon Despres as well but he was an odd situation with his concussions as I never saw his cap hit on capfriendly.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Contenders with little cap space in the future like the Canes have to take risks like this to get AVV manageable and extend their window as long as possible. Im thinking Avs should try to do this with newhook.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Contenders with little cap space in the future like the Canes have to take risks like this to get AVV manageable and extend their window as long as possible. Im thinking Avs should try to do this with newhook.
You should overpay now for young players hoping to gain in the future when you are not close to contending.

Problem is the Canes window is kind of now... Giving that much money to KK in the next few years lower their options for upgrades in the line up now. It is not the end of the world, by that is a weird gamble to take since it was not really required. That late 1st/6 millions cap could have gotten them a Giroux or a Manson at the trade deadline this year also.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
You should overpay now for young players hoping to gain in the future when you are not close to contending.

Problem is the Canes window is kind of now... Giving that much money to KK in the next few years lower their options for upgrades in the line up now. It is not the end of the world, by that is a weird gamble to take since it was not really required. That late 1st/6 millions cap could have gotten them a Giroux or a Manson at the trade deadline this year also.
I'm not a big fan of deadline trades. Almost never works out and a long contention window is more important than a brief peak since it's more about many legitimate runs than going all-in. Canes are in a window with or without Giroux or Manson. The super late first for KK is crazy good value.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How dare you sign a cheap deal?! Shame on you.
For every Tavares, Nurse or Seabrook there is a Bergeron, Marchand or MacK.
I guess the latter were not attacked for their income like ever…
Maybe JK is still happy and grateful that he got out of Montreal…the team, not the city.
Maybe there was an agreement that he is overpaid by 200% atm?
If you take those 4m and add it to the next deal, 4.9m per year sounds reasonable…for both sides.

Money isn‘t everything.
There’s no question that Bergevin was toxic to certain players and Kotkaniemi was one of them. Can’t blame Kotkaniemi for doing what he did. Bergevin brought the whole mess upon himself added to other incompetence and got canned for it.

Great deal for the Canes. They’ve bought all the upside with minimal downside in the event Kotkaniemi were to settle as a 3rd liner. There is a chance that there more under the hood. I agree with those who posited that he should have held out for a shorter deal.

Reactions: Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Title should be updated 8x4.82
It's still speculation, albeit from a number of more or less insider sources now. Might as well wait with title (and tag) updates until a deal is actually signed. Apparently it can't be done until 21 March but that's only a week away.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Thats interesting - I didnt know that was a stipulation in the deal

I'm not sure it's a stipulation in the deal; someone said it's straight from the CBA. Something specific with offer sheets? (Just like the potential arbitration process would have some extra twists and outcomes for that.)

Reactions: Rydev

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
There’s no question that Bergevin was toxic to certain players and Kotkaniemi was one of them. Can’t blame Kotkaniemi for doing what he did. Bergevin brought the whole mess upon himself added to other incompetence and got canned for it.

Great deal for the Canes. They’ve bought all the upside with minimal downside in the event Kotkaniemi were to settle as a 3rd liner. There is a chance that there more under the hood. I agree with those who posited that he should have held out for a shorter deal.

Bergevin was an incompetent idiot, but he genuinely loved and cared for the players. Perhaps Ducharme was toxic, but not Bergevin.

They say the Habs did not believe in KK. Yet this contract shows that it is KK who seems not to believe in himself. The Habs were set to give KK the 2C role the upcoming season.

Reactions: CDN24

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I like how before this deal was announced, many habs fans were so dismissive of the idea that KK would even consider a deal like this. Now suddenly it's an overpay lol.

This whole offer sheet was brilliantly executed. KK is will be at worst a solid middle 6C for the entirety of this contract. He provides solid depth and utility, and has a great playoff track record with a knack for scoring big goals.

It's not even like he's had a bad season. He's more than doubled his goal totals from last year despite getting 3 less mins per game, and he's now >50% in the dot.

Hes only turning 22 so hes still very young.. but Im not so sure how its an obvious steal for 'a majority of the contract' when he's yet to even produce at a .40ppg rate in his career

Hes also extremely sheltered on a contender, I very much doubt he can fill a 2C void if Trochek left. So you're paying close to 5m for eight years for a sub-.5ppg player?

Id rather not pay that kind of money for that little of production, and he hasn't earned any of that term yet.

Its a far riskier deal than it is a safe bet. .35ppg player totalling 12ATOI on cap-strapped contenders dont (or shouldnt) get eight year deals near their highest dollar value
He's over 0.4 ppg as we speak. And whenever he's been asked to fill in higher up in the lineup he's been great. In the 12 games where he's played 14 minutes or more, he's got 6 goals and 11 points...

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
$4.5M is a decent/good deal for a #3C in the current market. That may or may not be what Kotkaniemi is going to be in a few years. That's with short term too, on long term that's a crazy good deal for a young player for Canes.

There are many younger players they can sign for 4.5m, it's not like there's a shortage.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
There are many younger players they can sign for 4.5m, it's not like there's a shortage.
At this point, the biggest loss for MTL is the 3OA pick they spent on JK. He can become, and is becoming, a good player on Carolina but 3 years with the Habs and a lot of mismanagement and probably problems on both sides led to a broken situation.

You're right that Habs can get something valuable on the FA market or in trade for that $4.5m cap space moving forward but it really does feel like a wasted asset. Bergevin obviously a big part of the blame and also until MSL the coaching situation didn't help. Habs should look at this, and a lot of other things, as a time to start with a clean slate and just move forward.

Canes have a player that they like a lot and see can have a big future with them. No complaints over here with that 8 x $4.5ish extension. JK has been very good when needed to slot up in the lineup and fill a bigger role when injuries came up. He's playing limited time because Canes have Aho - Tro - Staal ahead of him right now and he plays best at C. Tro will sign a big deal with someone in UFA and Staal's contract is up after next year. Plenty of time and opportunity to grow into a 2/3C role.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Verdun, Montréal
At this point, the biggest loss for MTL is the 3OA pick they spent on JK. He can become, and is becoming, a good player on Carolina but 3 years with the Habs and a lot of mismanagement and probably problems on both sides led to a broken situation.

You're right that Habs can get something valuable on the FA market or in trade for that $4.5m cap space moving forward but it really does feel like a wasted asset. Bergevin obviously a big part of the blame and also until MSL the coaching situation didn't help. Habs should look at this, and a lot of other things, as a time to start with a clean slate and just move forward.

Canes have a player that they like a lot and see can have a big future with them. No complaints over here with that 8 x $4.5ish extension. JK has been very good when needed to slot up in the lineup and fill a bigger role when injuries came up. He's playing limited time because Canes have Aho - Tro - Staal ahead of him right now and he plays best at C. Tro will sign a big deal with someone in UFA and Staal's contract is up after next year. Plenty of time and opportunity to grow into a 2/3C role.

Watched a couple canes' games lately and couldn't even see him

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

I like KK, I'd have liked for the habs to keep him but it seems to me like his skating is still weak this year which is why he may never become that 2nd liner for not just the Canes but any team in the NHL. He could be a 2/3 but mainly a 3C imo, but for 8x4.5m? I don't think this is a good idea for Carolina.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Canes doing a fine job at making KK a multi millionaire without earning it. I actually think that contract (if true) is of value as long as KK continues to mature. But how much more development does he have? Hard to predict and you better hope that he don't settle cause he is now set for life.

I will always be a Kotkaniemi fan. Hope this works out for the Canes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Koktaniemi is mid line winger, 4.5 million is about going rate

KK has not proven to be any more than a bottom 6F at this point. 10-12 min a game is not the going rate for $4.5M AAV. They are paying him that cause they created that situation with the $6.1M offer sheet where it gave him leverage.

8 year term? They obviously believe in him improving. I will be curious to see his ice time after the deal :sarcasm:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
KK has not proven to be any more than a bottom 6F at this point. 10-12 min a game is not the going rate for $4.5M AAV. They are paying him that cause they created that situation with the $6.1M offer sheet where it gave him leverage.

8 year term? They obviously believe in him improving. I will be curious to see his ice time after the deal :sarcasm:
In the 12 games where he's played 14 minutes or more he's got 6 goals 11 points.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad