Rumor: Kotkaniemi Extension - 8 x $4.25-$4.5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
If Kotkaniemi ever figures it out this contract could be a steal. Or he could be an expensive 3rd liner for a long time. Personally I don't think he should sign for 8 years. There are greater odds that he ends up underpaid by 20 million than overpaid by 10 over the course of the deal.

I agree that it's more likely he's underpaid. I don't even know if a 4.5m 3rd line C will really be expensive especially in the second half of that contract if/when the cap goes up.

And considering his age and ability, seems like actually pretty low risk for high reward potential.

I guess you never know, so there's always some risk, but really - the kid is 21 and has 40+ career goals and nearly 100 points. He's not a scrub and in all likelihood he's not done developing.

Reactions: cptjeff

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I don't see the ceiling that someone of you see with KK. I don't think he's anything more than a 3rd line player now and in the future

Reactions: Just Linda

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don't really understand Carolinas thinking here. Kotkaniemi has been extremely sheltered this year, why not actually give him a bigger role for a bit before committing 8 years to him?

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Reports surfaced Friday evening that forward Jesperi Kotkaniemi has reportedly been extended by the Hurricanes to an eight-year extension at a value of around $4.4 million per season. It’s an interesting deal coming off of an offer-sheet signing and it certainly shows the Hurricanes’ commitment to the player and his development. Andy Strickland is reporting that the terms of a deal are in place.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I don't really understand Carolinas thinking here. Kotkaniemi has been extremely sheltered this year, why not actually give him a bigger role for a bit before committing 8 years to him?
Why, the cap at the end of the new contract will be in the neighborhood of 100 million. Even if played as a 4th line center 4.4 would be a good deal.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Maybe this contract will get Necas to sign a similar contract
I'm skeptical. IMO, He'd be selling himself short to sign a contract like that. Sure, he's had a down year this year but he scored at a 63 point pace last year. If I was in his shoes, I'd sign a shorter term deal and bet on getting a bigger contract once the cap goes up.

Reactions: DaveG

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

What’s the big risk here?

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007

Because after he shows well then he wouldn't commit to 8 years. Can't escape the feeling Carolina is trying to pull a bit of a fast one here on Kotkaniemi, giving him 4th line minutes then trying to get him to sign to 8 years before moving him up.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Great move by the Canes, everyone rips on KK but he’s 21 and his PTS/60 is very respectable so he will have better numbers when he’s not blocked from getting more ice time at his natural position, plus he’s been good in the playoffs. I think KK will end up leaving money on the table on this one if he signed a 4 yr deal

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Great contract. Another of Bergevin's blunders redeemed.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
How dare you sign a cheap deal?! Shame on you.
For every Tavares, Nurse or Seabrook there is a Bergeron, Marchand or MacK.
I guess the latter were not attacked for their income like ever…
Maybe JK is still happy and grateful that he got out of Montreal…the team, not the city.
Maybe there was an agreement that he is overpaid by 200% atm?
If you take those 4m and add it to the next deal, 4.9m per year sounds reasonable…for both sides.

Money isn‘t everything.

Reactions: DaveG and LakeLivin

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
good for KK and the Canes, he gets the long term contract and if it's the rumored 38.5M, that's 44.6M he's gotten from the Canes for 9 years, plenty of money and a place where it sounds like he's happy unlike with the Habs who had 2 coaches that didn't know how to develop him and a GM that rushed a known project to the NHL. But KK is one of the reasons MB is fired so at least some positive came out of it.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Why, the cap at the end of the new contract will be in the neighborhood of 100 million. Even if played as a 4th line center 4.4 would be a good deal.

It's 4.8 and that would absolutely be a terrible deal for a 4th line centre. He's being paid every year not just 8 years from now.

I'm just not a fan of giving 8 year contracts to guys who aren't stars. I don't think Kotakaniemi was going to explode offensively and command a substantially higher AAV, just seems to limit the teams flexibility moving forward.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not only is this a great deal, but this was always to be expected. It was even said that the target number would be 1-2 million less than his offer sheet cap hit.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
It's 4.8 and that would absolutely be a terrible deal for a 4th line centre. He's being paid every year not just 8 years from now.

I'm just not a fan of giving 8 year contracts to guys who aren't stars. I don't think Kotakaniemi was going to explode offensively and command a substantially higher AAV, just seems to limit the teams flexibility moving forward.
It‘s 4.8, not 8.4

Reactions: DaveG

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The variance in the rumored numbers is not insignificant.

I hope PuckPedia’s source is expecting based on convention (Kotkaniemi wears #82) rather than inside info.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
KK signs this deal and runs!
He knows he will never amount to more than what we've seen so far.

He got his 6 million this season.

Signing this deal would be like a 9 year deal at roughly 5 mill per.

He's the only winner here lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad