Confirmed with Link: Klim Kostin and Kailer Yamamoto to Detroit for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yzerman used the Wing's cap space to get two assets for basically nothing. Given where the Wings have been drafting they need to accumulate assets every way they can and hope they can turn their De La Roses into Fabbris.
But they don't need any more Fabbris. They have Rasmussen and Copp and Perron and Kubalik and others that are middle of the roster guys, with more on the way in guys like Kasper and Soderblom.

They need a guy with a ceiling of Larkin or higher. Raymond or higher. And swinging a trade is more realistic than all other options put together to land a player of that caliber.

Is it awful that they make this trade with Edmonton? No. But the phase of shedding bad contracts and bottoming out is over, and fans should absolutely start getting impatient with all of Yzerman's "be patient", if there isn't a major addition this summer to help the phase of climbing the standings.

Reactions: Oddbob

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
But they don't need any more Fabbris. They have Rasmussen and Copp and Perron and Kubalik and others that are middle of the roster guys, with more on the way in guys like Kasper and Soderblom.

They need a guy with a ceiling of Larkin or higher. Raymond or higher. And swinging a trade is more realistic than all other options put together to land a player of that caliber.

Is it awful that they make this trade with Edmonton? No. But the phase of shedding bad contracts and bottoming out is over, and fans should absolutely start getting impatient with all of Yzerman's "be patient", if there isn't a major addition this summer to help the phase of climbing the standings.
I didn't mean literally to turn them into Fabbri. Yzerman got 2 assets for cap space. Maybe they'll play on the roster, maybe he'll turn them into something else, maybe they'll be busts.

This move has nothing to do with acquiring a player better than Larkin and higher. Obviously he's gonna try if the opportunity is there but it's not exactly easy. Yzerman has been pretty up front about needing to improve on high end talent. It's not like he's saying "we like our team." So crying about this move and linking it to the team's need for high end talent makes no sense.

Is he not supposed to make any moves until he somehow acquires game changing talent?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

7r16i5.jpg

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I didn't mean literally to turn them into Fabbri. Yzerman got 2 assets for cap space. Maybe they'll play on the roster, maybe he'll turn them into something else, maybe they'll be busts.

This move has nothing to do with acquiring a player better than Larkin and higher. Obviously he's gonna try if the opportunity is there but it's not exactly easy. Yzerman has been pretty up front about needing to improve on high end talent. It's not like he's saying "we like our team." So crying about this move and linking it to the team's need for high end talent makes no sense.

Is he not supposed to make any moves until he somehow acquires game changing talent?
I'm not shooting down the trade in isolation. I'm saying that the past 48 hours was a giant opportunity that has now been missed. The entire league was jonesing for this draft class, and Detroit used every one of those first five picks instead of parlaying some portion of that currency into a major trade.

Now could they still somehow land a Debrincat or a Lindholm or a Nylander or somebody else of that ilk? Possibly. But whether it's 2024 picks or roster players, I don't see any Detroit assets that are MORE valuable than the picks they just used up.

My opinion is that yesterday and today was their best chance to make it happen, that chance has come and gone, and barring a major surprise, this coming season is suddenly a lot less worth watching than it should have been.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I'm not shooting down the trade in isolation. I'm saying that the past 48 hours was a giant opportunity that has now been missed. The entire league was jonesing for this draft class, and Detroit used every one of those first five picks instead of parlaying some portion of that currency into a major trade.

Now could they still somehow land a Debrincat or a Lindholm or a Nylander or somebody else of that ilk? Possibly. But whether it's 2024 picks or roster players, I don't see any Detroit assets that are MORE valuable than the picks they just used up.

My opinion is that yesterday and today was their best chance to make it happen, that chance has come and gone, and barring a major surprise, this coming season is suddenly a lot less worth watching than it should have been.
Good, maybe we can be warranted with a top 2 draft pic for once.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

I get it but it's hard to know what the possibility for that was, if it even existed. There was no trading happening during the draft this year.

The Wings absolutely need high end talent. But that is extremely difficult to get so to me it still looks like Yzerman is hedging as many bets as possible and hopefully a big move will become available.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Sounds like some of you have only a year to live with some of these analysis. If thats the case i hope we break out right away but im against spending money on free agents that clearly arent worth it. U find your core thru the draft not thru free agency.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Game changing talent was available though, and Yzerman has (so far) refused to acquire it. DeBrincat made it obvious, he wants to be a Red Wing. We have a need for goals, and DeBrincat scores goals. We have (had) draft capital, prospects, and Cap space to make it work, yet Yzerman has still hesitated to acquire this game changing talent.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Agreed. It seems like Yzerman is just throwing the whole year away... Maybe he wows us in free agency, but the reality is that there are no stars available. At the moment, we are once again closer to the draft lottery than to the playoffs. I'm not sure how some fans are ok with this.

To the fans who are ok with throwing this season away, when is it acceptable to finally question the "YZERPLAN". Next offseason? 2 years? 5 years?

Sounds like some of you have only a year to live with some of these analysis. If thats the case i hope we break out right away but im against spending money on free agents that clearly arent worth it. U find your core thru the draft not thru free agency.
Vegas literally just won the Cup with 1 drafted player......

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Game changing talent was available though, and Yzerman has (so far) refused to acquire it. DeBrincat made it obvious, he wants to be a Red Wing. We have a need for goals, and DeBrincat scores goals. We have (had) draft capital, prospects, and Cap space to make it work, yet Yzerman has still hesitated to acquire this game changing talent.
What game changing talent was available that he passed on?

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Agreed. It seems like Yzerman is just throwing the whole year away... Maybe he wows us in free agency, but the reality is that there are no stars available. At the moment, we are once again closer to the draft lottery than to the playoffs. I'm not sure how some fans are ok with this.

To the fans who are ok with throwing this season away, when is it acceptable to finally question the "YZERPLAN". Next offseason? 2 years? 5 years?

You can question it whenever you want, as always. Just because you get pushback doesn't mean you can't say your piece, people constantly put on an act like they are being silenced or something.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020

You actually just brought up vegas lol.... the one exception to the rule. Avs --drafted core-- --do i really need to mention tampa or u got that gold fish mem?-- st louis?--- core was all drafted. U make expensive fa/trade adds when you are on the cusp not when ur core draft picks are still not even here full time.

You really wanna build using th prehistoric way that fails way more than it wins. You wanna be calgary? Who just let it leak they want duclair coming back for hanafin because they are content spending and fielding a team that absolutely cant win.

Desperation is rampant here

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
It’s two free players, whatever. One is unsigned and the other has a year left. There’s no damage here. Also Kostin is a monster and I think he’s actually great guy to have on the 3rd4th line long term for like 2-3M.

Maybe we can switch Yamamoto and DBC while Ottawa isn’t looking and Dorion won’t be able to tell the difference.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

Fans having a different opinion than you on what is happening doesn't mean they are "ok with throwing this season away."

I guess you're not counting the players from Vegas's expansion draft?

Vegas is an expansion team that had a grand total of 6 drafts before they won the Cup and only 6 of those picks were in the first round. It's not shocking they didn't have a lot of homegrown talent on that team.

Reactions: SoupNazi
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
yeah I must've missed the story where there was a good deal available for DeBrincat and Yzerman passed on it.

Could you post the link?
You gotta give to get man...

There's no way of knowing for sure, but I bet if Yzerman offered Pierre the 17th overall pick, and maybe Zadina, the Cat would be a Red Wing.

How am I supposed to know exactly what Yzerman offered? That's not public information. The point is DeBrincat made it obvious he wanted to come to Detroit, so if Yzerman wanted him bad enough, he'd be a Red Wing as we speak.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I think that’s why people are frustrated. Not with free agency but with the lack of move on the trade front. This is the last year of the flat cap so this was the teams best chance to get a really good player on the trade front because teams are forced to move them due to the cap. This was yzerman’s best chance with the cap leverage he had.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
You actually just brought up vegas lol.... the one exception to the rule. Avs --drafted core-- --do i really need to mention tampa or u got that gold fish mem?-- st louis?--- core was all drafted. U make expensive fa/trade adds when you are on the cusp not when ur core draft picks are still not even here full time.

You really wanna build using th prehistoric way that fails way more than it wins. You wanna be calgary? Who just let it leak they want duclair coming back for hanafin because they are content spending and fielding a team that absolutely cant win.

Desperation is rampant here
Well yeah I brought up Vegas because you literally just said "the way to win the Cup is by drafting". Vegas just proved that this is not necessarily the formula...Not really sure why that was hard to understand?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad