Confirmed with Link: Klim Kostin and Kailer Yamamoto to Detroit for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
Actually, the Wings need both high-skill scorers AND better bottom 6 players.

The Wings can build around their current Top 6 and be very competitive if the Bottom 6 isn't a bunch of anchors. Look at teams like Carolina and Vegas. While they may not have an elite McDavid, MacKinnon, or Matthews, their Bottom 6 is much, much better than Edmunton's or Toronto's. Having better balance throughout the lineup, with a much smaller gap of player effectiveness between the top and bottom can greatly compensate for not having an elite top of the lineup.

So, is Kostin a world beater? No, he's not. But is he a significant improvement over Adam Erne? Or Matt Luff? Yes, he is and that is an important move in itself.

Yeah, I feel like the stacked elite teams (ie, Toronto) are not successful in the playoffs as it's fairly easy to shut them down — or catch an injury.

Teams like Vegas, Florida, etc... seemed much more balanced. Vegas and Seattle basically inherited a solid team of 2/3 players through the expansion draft and then just added a few top talents.

I would much rather have three 2C type players slotted on the 1, 2, 3 lines than someone like Matthews on 1 and the lower 3, 4 lines filled with whoever they can fit in.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

The Wings can build around their current Top 6 and be very competitive if the Bottom 6 isn't a bunch of anchors. Look at teams like Carolina and Vegas. While they may not have an elite McDavid, MacKinnon, or Matthews, their Bottom 6 is much, much better than Edmunton's or Toronto's. Having better balance throughout the lineup, with a much smaller gap of player effectiveness between the top and bottom can greatly compensate for not having an elite top of the lineup.

So, is Kostin a world beater? No, he's not. But is he a significant improvement over Adam Erne? Or Matt Luff? Yes, he is and that is an important move in itself.
I guess we agree to disagree then. I see a roster that is trending towards a best case scenario of having a million middle of the lineup players, and nobody is going to trade a high end player for several run-of-the-mill guys.

Depth is great. But all the depth in the world without more than one forward who can handle a first line playoff assignment isn't going to cut it. They'll just lose a lot of 2-1 and 1-0 games.

Reactions: Snuggs

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
5-on-5 Points/60 from last season:

Söderblom 2.12
Kostin 2.02
Larkin 1.86
Rasmussen 1.86
Perron 1.62
Yamamoto 1.53
Kubalik 1.50
Copp 1.47
Berggren 1.40
(Sundqvist 1.30)
(Bertuzzi 1.30)
(Luff 1.29)
(Suter 1.28)

Raymond 1.24
(Erne 1.20)
Zadina 1.16
Veleno 0.96
Fabbri 0.86
Czarnik 0.81
(Chiasson 0.34)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Starting to think he could be the perfect winger for Kasper next year on the third line. Plays a big body game, when Kasper mixes it up he can have his back, and he has enough skill to be effective offensively. Throw a skilled winger on the other side and it could be a solid line. Maybe Soderblom fits in there eventually, or possibly Fabbri, who can be annoying out there to play against too

Reactions: mikerooooose

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
More I look deeper on those Yamamoto's stats, he really struggled playing with McDavid. They have worst Points/60 when together.

Also struggled with Kane and Foegele.

Yamamoto is just fine with other EDM teammates.

This will be interesting to see. I really hope he doesn't get bought out.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
More I look deeper on those Yamamoto's stats, he really struggled playing with McDavid. They have worst Points/60 when together.

Also struggled with Kane and Foegele.

Yamamoto is just fine with other EDM teammates.

This will be interesting to see. I really hope he doesn't get bought out.
The issue though, is where does he play in our lineup? I don't think there's room for all 3 of Zadina, Berggren and Yamamoto. Berggren isn't going anywhere, so basically if Yamamoto gets a roster spot, you trade Zadina for whatever you can get?

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Oilers fan here. I don’t think our fans have given a proper picture of Yamamoto’s game.

He isn’t your typical small/skilled forward that isn’t good enough for your top-6 but can’t play a bottom-6 role. His best attribute by far is his motor. He plays much bigger than he is, he’s an elite forechecker, and is great at causing havoc with his tenacity. He won’t carry a line with his offence but his effort level makes him a nice third wheel on most lines. He creates turnovers and is good at supporting play in the o-zone with his passing. His biggest issue is shooting/finishing, which became really frustrating last year.

He struggled last year, particularly early on after his concussion, but I don’t think he’s waiver quality at all. He’s scored 20 goals before, and I think he’s good for 35-40+ pts a year plus good penalty killing. I like this trade for you guys.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The issue though, is where does he play in our lineup? I don't think there's room for all 3 of Zadina, Berggren and Yamamoto. Berggren isn't going anywhere, so basically if Yamamoto gets a roster spot, you trade Zadina for whatever you can get?
Let them all compete and move who doesn’t belong. At this point I am not worrying about moving on from Zadina.

Reactions: K1900L

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Who cares about that though?

You dont buy him out, you have some depth and hes off the book next year. Worst case is what? He doesnt play a whole lot because theres other guys ahead of him? Best case is hes a solid bottom 6, forechecker/third wheel on a line.

The wings have the cap space now, no need to spread it out over a few years and not give him a chance to catch on

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Don't really care about Yamamoto but Kostin is interesting.

If we can retain and trade Motor for a 4th or whatever I'd be cool with that.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Let them all compete and move who doesn’t belong. At this point I am not worrying about moving on from Zadina.
just sounds like yamo is a slightly improved zadina who has playoff experience and played with the best player in the league. Would rather just have yamo for the experience/previous linemate insights than zadina.

Then again, I have been trying to get zadina punted for a good year now, but that shouldn't matter.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Oilers fan here. I don’t think our fans have given a proper picture of Yamamoto’s game.

He isn’t your typical small/skilled forward that isn’t good enough for your top-6 but can’t play a bottom-6 role. His best attribute by far is his motor. He plays much bigger than he is, he’s an elite forechecker, and is great at causing havoc with his tenacity. He won’t carry a line with his offence but his effort level makes him a nice third wheel on most lines. He creates turnovers and is good at supporting play in the o-zone with his passing. His biggest issue is shooting/finishing, which became really frustrating last year.

He struggled last year, particularly early on after his concussion, but I don’t think he’s waiver quality at all. He’s scored 20 goals before, and I think he’s good for 35-40+ pts a year plus good penalty killing. I like this trade for you guys.
Yamamoto Veleno Zadina ?

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Like these pickups a lot after giving it some thought.

Kubalik, Rasmussen, Berggren, Kostin has the makings of a good LW group with Soderblom thrown into the mix. Should be a tough group to play against, and a lot of untapped potential here as well.

Never really cared for Yamamoto but at least it’s competition to push Zadina. On RW Raymond is locked into the top 6, then Perron, Fabbri(until he gets injured) and Yamamoto/Zadina.

They’re obviously still missing a game breaker but it’s starting to look somewhat serviceable.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

Carolina has Sebastian Aho and Svechnikov. Vegas has Eichel. Both of these teams have at least one elite forward.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Was expecting some extra trades to fix some other positions.

But seems to be wingers are not valued and they bought him out.

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
Carolina has Sebastian Aho and Svechnikov. Vegas has Eichel. Both of these teams have at least one elite forward.
Yeah, I think we can easily obtain 1 or even 2 high-skill players either through trade or free agency. Can't force it though.

I think we're still a few years away from seeing how these younger players pan out to know the true gaps we have.

Hopefully, we'll have an elite defense core in a few years. Then they can trade someone out for an elite forward.

Also, nobody should be upset about this. What lineup are they trying to fit into? The lineup is not set. It just gives Yzerman more options as more players just became expendable if needed.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"

Whether the Wings have players comparable to Aho and Svechnikov or not, they still need to upgrade the Bottom 6 regardless.

Or are you thinking if the Wings trade for Debrincat then their work is done?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Like these pickups a lot after giving it some thought.

Kubalik, Rasmussen, Berggren, Kostin has the makings of a good LW group with Soderblom thrown into the mix. Should be a tough group to play against, and a lot of untapped potential here as well.

Never really cared for Yamamoto but at least it’s competition to push Zadina. On RW Raymond is locked into the top 6, then Perron, Fabbri(until he gets injured) and Yamamoto/Zadina.

They’re obviously still missing a game breaker but it’s starting to look somewhat serviceable.
We still need 3 top 6 forwards before we're competitive.

FORWARD-Larkin-Raymond
FORWARD-FORWARD-Perron
Rasmussen-Copp-Kubalik
Berggren-Kasper-Kostin

extra:Soderblom-Veleno
trade: Zadina
IR: Fabbri

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Whether the Wings have players comparable to Aho and Svechnikov or not, they still need to upgrade the Bottom 6 regardless.

Or are you thinking if the Wings trade for Debrincat then their work is done?
I am happy about Kostin. Im just saying depth is still irrelevant without elite pieces.

Reactions: DamonDRW

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I am happy about Kostin. Im just saying depth is still irrelevant without elite pieces.

Build the team with Seattle / Vegas style, four lines of 2nd lines, and that team goes to the playoffs with 20M in cap space.

Then the elite stars are made available for you. They like to join, because it's a winning team, and you are the winning team with cap space. 2nd overalls like to join from messy teams. 3rd overall want to join from cap hell teams.

It has already happened. Just repeat it.

• Haha

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Build the team with Seattle / Vegas style, four lines of 2nd lines, and that team goes to the playoffs with 20M in cap space.

Then the elite stars are made available for you. They like to join, because it's a winning team, and you are the winning team with cap space. 2nd overalls like to join from messy teams. 3rd overall want to join from cap hell teams.

It has already happened. Just repeat it.
That's the hope.

I think everyone agrees Detroit needs more elite talent. Getting it is the incredibly hard part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad