Confirmed with Link: Klim Kostin and Kailer Yamamoto to Detroit for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not that excited by this. Yamamoto has been not great so far and Oiler fans say the rumour is Kostin is going back to Russia. Yes, they are free. but Yama doesn't really improve our team, as he is basically Zadina.

Reactions: DamonDRW

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
you think wings will be worse than last year?

Ana
Chi
Sjs
Philly
Cgy
Wpg
zona

will all be way worse imo then there’s a cluster of the middle pack where who know what happens

Sadly, yes. A lot worse, and I think the Kostin and Yamamoto pickups signal a conservative offseason. Who is our backup? Where is our 2nd and 3rd pair RD? After Seider and Walman, who are the team's puck movers? (Consider Edvinsson is out with shoulder surgery to start the year) Without Bertuzzi and Vrana where is the scoring going to come from?

I expect a jump from Anaheim and Chicago. Anaheim won't be 31st or 32nd, but probably in that 25-32 range. Chicago probably finishes between 24th and 30th. (but ends up with another lottery win because you know, "totally random generated numbers".)

Calgary, Winnipeg doing worse puts them out of the playoff picture but they're better than Detroit right now.
Philly is preparing for a top 3 pick. I think they're the only team in the east Detroit will be better than.
Montreal traded for Newhook who gets a new lease on life and a crack at a top 6 spot, and that may help them.
Columbus just added Fantilli, a shitload of defense AND Babcock. They're not bottom 5 anymore. Probably closer to the postseason than Detroit.

I don't see Detroit being better than Ottawa, Buffalo or the rest of the atlantic. And the only team in the metro doing worse is Philly.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Hall and foligno is gone. Frederic’s gone. Bergeron and Krejic could both retire. Pasta had a career year. Might trade Ullmark. Bertuzzi may go elsewhere.. Things could get ugly fast in Beantown
Hall had 36 points
Foligno 26
They were meh.

Swayman >= ullmark imo

Most stars points were up this yeasocuz scoring was way up so I'd expect a similar year from pasta.

Obviously the biggest thing that could happen would be Bergeron retiring. Losing a guy like that would be traumatic if he retires.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Buying Yamamoto out would be beyond dumb. His remaining 1 year at 3 million isn't any sort of strain to us for a guy who although inconsistent year to year, has been a career 0.5 ppg player playing up and down a lineup.

I'm not some bizarre Yamamoto truther who thinks getting him is some coup, but like, holy f***, there's zero downside to giving him a run in our lineup this year.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

Ana
Chi
Sjs
Philly
Cgy
Wpg
zona

will all be way worse imo then there’s a cluster of the middle pack where who know what happens
I think chicago might do too well next year. They might even be out of the bottom 5 now, which I don't think is that great of an idea. Unless there real plan was to get all the vet leadership for bedard to learn until february, then trade them all (foligno, perry, hall) to contenders for 1st/2nd picks. Not a terrible idea obviously, but who knows.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Buying Yamamoto out would be beyond dumb. His remaining 1 year at 3 million isn't any sort of strain to us for a guy who although inconsistent year to year, has been a career 0.5 ppg player playing up and down a lineup.

I'm not some bizarre Yamamoto truther who thinks getting him is some coup, but like, holy f***, there's zero downside to giving him a run in our lineup this year.

My negativity is to me this means we aren't trying for better players, we are still doing the take flyers on guys and hope we get something. Taking flyers is fine, especially for free, but it makes it look like we are going to be worse next season. There is only so many forward spots and we already have struggling to score guys in our lineup.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

I am confused why we don't retain 50% and add him to the trade deal for debrincat, if they would like that or not is another conversation.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
I don't see Detroit being better than Ottawa, Buffalo or the rest of the atlantic. And the only team in the metro doing worse is Philly.
And you somehow expected that all to change on draft day?

I mean, free agency hasn't started. There's a long time before now and the 1st puck drop in October.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Ana
Chi
Sjs
Philly
Cgy
Wpg
zona

That isn't exciting to me though. Another year in the 3-10 range isn't exciting. Especially when the guys we are drafting seem to not have any pure offence to their games. 2 way guys are great, but we need some pure offence and we aren't drafting anyone that seems to have that profile with our high picks. So if we pick up another 3-10 guy in that mold, I don't see how that makes us better.

I mean, free agency hasn't started. There's a long time before now and the 1st puck drop in October.

The UFA class is bad this year though.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
My negativity is to me this means we aren't trying for better players, we are still doing the take flyers on guys and hope we get something. Taking flyers is fine, especially for free, but it makes it look like we are going to be worse next season. There is only so many forward spots and we already have struggling to score guys in our lineup.
Although I agree with mostly everything you and others have said, we have to remember an important distinction:

This is the second year in Lalonde's system. Every team who starts the year in a brand new system that they have never played in before, never do too well or it clicks immediately. It didn't click immediately for us, but we showed that when we played Lalonde's system and never strayed, we actually played extremely great games. The problem is the consistency.

If we iced the same team as we did last year for this coming year, I would say we would do slightly better (would be a little bit more better if it weren't for devils and others just retooling like crazy for next year). These additions for free don't do much, but I think Kostin > Sunny by a long shot and that will help tremendously. Not to mention we will most likely have Kasper, full season of Edvinsson, and maybe an ALJO and Wallinder sightings here and there.

So all in all, I think we are going to be better as a team overall, it just depends on the teams that we are playing against and how far they progressed. We shall see I suppose.

EDIT: Not to mention, Lalonde's system is actually extremely good for wins. Like I said, when we play the system like it should, we win the games and mostly by a wide margin (not goals necessarily, but winning a game that is 3-2 but feels like it should have been 5-1 is a wide margin imo. It's like when Michigan played Penn State last year and were winning by only 2 points at the end of the 1st half 16-14 or something, but Michigan was clearly beating the hell out of Penn State. End result proved it too).

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Although I agree with mostly everything you and others have said, we have to remember an important distinction:

This is the second year in Lalonde's system. Every team who starts the year in a brand new system that they have never played in before, never do too well or it clicks immediately. It didn't click immediately for us, but we showed that when we played Lalonde's system and never strayed, we actually played extremely great games. The problem is the consistency.

If we iced the same team as we did last year for this coming year, I would say we would do slightly better (would be a little bit more better if it weren't for devils and others just retooling like crazy for next year). These additions for free don't do much, but I think Kostin > Sunny by a long shot and that will help tremendously. Not to mention we will most likely have Kasper, full season of Edvinsson, and maybe an ALJO and Wallinder sightings here and there.

So all in all, I think we are going to be better as a team overall, it just depends on the teams that we are playing against and how far they progressed. We shall see I suppose.

EDIT: Not to mention, Lalonde's system is actually extremely good for wins. Like I said, when we play the system like it should, we win the games and mostly by a wide margin (not goals necessarily, but winning a game that is 3-2 but feels like it should have been 5-1 is a wide margin imo. It's like when Michigan played Penn State last year and were losing at the end of the 1st have 17-16 or something, but Michigan was clearly beating the hell out of Penn State. End result proved it too).

Defensively I think we will be fine. My disappointment is there is no offence to speak of. Not trying to be a downer, was just hoping we were going to be more aggressive this summer. I know there is a lot of time from now until October, but if we get one or both of these 2 guys that is now another forward spot or 2 taken up and we are using it on players who don't really address a major need for this team.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Defensively I think we will be fine. My disappointment is there is no offence to speak of. Not trying to be a downer, was just hoping we were going to be more aggressive this summer. I know there is a lot of time from now until October, but if we get one or both of these 2 guys that is now another forward spot or 2 taken up and we are using it on players who don't really address a major need for this team.
Absolutely. I'm extremely puzzled that we don't have more offense (FA hasn't started so I guess there's that, I'll wait to have full opinion until then I suppose). But I am even more puzzled that we didn't trade for DBC or players like him (goal scoring) since Yzerman, Lalonde, Larkin (in that interview he did on the golf course like what yesterday?) all said we need goal scoring help, we have no one that can get us 30 goals a season, etc etc.

It is quite perplexing that they say this, it is evident that they really aren't lying because our goal scoring was pretty bad (especially real finishers in the lineup), and yet this happens?

Extremely confused and hope there is some sort of clarity coming from these guys soon, whether that is from them speaking or their actions through trades, etc.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Absolutely. I'm extremely puzzled that we don't have more offense (FA hasn't started so I guess there's that, I'll wait to have full opinion until then I suppose). But I am even more puzzled that we didn't trade for DBC or players like him (goal scoring) since Yzerman, Lalonde, Larkin (in that interview he did on the golf course like what yesterday?) all said we need goal scoring help, we have no one that can get us 30 goals a season, etc etc.

It is quite perplexing that they say this, it is evident that they really aren't lying because our goal scoring was pretty bad (especially real finishers in the lineup), and yet this happens?

Extremely confused and hope there is some sort of clarity coming from these guys soon, whether that is from them speaking or their actions through trades, etc.

Still holding out hope we make a big move this summer yet. Doesn't have to be AD, but someone with offensive ability.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

It could have. We had 3 2nd round picks and wasted them on guys that, if they DO make it (which I doubt), will be a backup goalie and 6th/7th defenders 5 f***ing years from now.

2nd round picks at the draft have been traded fairly often for middle 6 and 4th defensemen. Take a guess at what Detroit could use some upgrades on in their roster?

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I think we’re forgetting, that more or less this lineup was in the playoff hunt until February. Even without Bert most of the yr. Then they fell apart against OTT, then they got injured and fell aparter (thank god). I think it’s totally possible that we end up at pick 15 next year with this roster. And that is the problem. We are in the twilight. I get that Stevie also has to consider the business side and not let his young players get pummeled to death. But this was the yr in which tanking would’ve been the play.

BTW: Is the next draft class considered excellent as well? I only know of Celebrini so far.
Lawdy lawdy. Season's barely over and you're talking about tanking next season already?

Yikes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad