Confirmed with Link: Klim Kostin and Kailer Yamamoto to Detroit for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think we’re forgetting, that more or less this lineup was in the playoff hunt until February. Even without Bert most of the yr. Then they fell apart against OTT, then they got injured and fell aparter (thank god). I think it’s totally possible that we end up at pick 15 next year with this roster. And that is the problem. We are in the twilight. I get that Stevie also has to consider the business side and not let his young players get pummeled to death. But this was the yr in which tanking would’ve been the play.

BTW: Is the next draft class considered excellent as well? I only know of Celebrini so far.

7r0n6q.jpg

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
It could have. We had 3 2nd round picks and wasted them on guys that, if they DO make it (which I doubt), will be a backup goalie and 6th/7th defenders 5 f***ing years from now.

2nd round picks at the draft have been traded fairly often for middle 6 and 4th defensemen. Take a guess at what Detroit could use some upgrades on in their roster?
So you're upset that they passed on your binkies. Get over it. The fortune in the standings for the Red Wings in 23/24 were not going to change today.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
What do you mean by that? Is that a disparaging remark based on his heritage, or is there something I'm missing?
It's a joke based on his name and a near-80-year-old conflict.

Trust me, if I could work in Sherman's quote about reporters in every post I posted, I would, because it's hurtful and awesome. History is fun if you let it be. The further back in time you go, the funner it can be. I'm sure that in the 14th century no one thought "I'll go Tamarlane on your butt!" was funny. Now it is, if you know who Tamarlane was.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
The biggest need on the current roster is first line scoring. This trade may end up complimentary to that, but it does nothing to address the need itself.
We still have plenty of needs. That two game series vs Ottawa showed that toughness is definitely a need. So this does address a need at least.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
We still have plenty of needs. That two game series vs Ottawa showed that toughness is definitely a need. So this does address a need at least.
But you're talking about one strategy that immediately addresses one need, versus another that may or may not address another need several years from now.

Again, I'm not asking to burn every pick for the next five years. But no drafting strategy fills every roster spot and it's not realistic to expect any of these picks to turn into a 30-40 goal scorer. So use some assets to address the quality and then continue with picking quantity.

You need a mix of prime rib and hamburgers. They're doing a phenomenal job of churning out burgers, but having an extra few dozen burgers doesn't magically turn into a prime cut or two.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
So we went from hoping for Lindholm and Debrincat (some of us), to getting yamamoto and Kostin.......yikes. Celebrini or Eiserman are in our sights!
Do you have a link to the quote where Yzerman says "I couldn't get Debrincat so I absolutely got Yamamoto and Kostin as his replacement."

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Do you have a link to the quote where Yzerman says "I couldn't get Debrincat so I absolutely got Yamamoto and Kostin as his replacement."
No. But would you agree that first and second round 2023 picks are more powerful assets that are more likely to return a high end player in a trade, versus 2023 late picks or 2024 picks?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
No. But would you agree that first and second round 2023 picks are more powerful assets that are more likely to return a high end player in a trade, versus 2023 late picks or 2024 picks?
The real treasures assets were the friends Yamamotos we made along the way.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Don't we have enough 3rd and 4th liners already? We need scorers and skill, and these players aren't bringing that.

We're already one of the softest teams in the NHL, so not really sure why Yzerman does this and brings in 5'7 Yamamoto. I dunno, I guess they were free assets, but these players are pretty irrelevant.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Don't we have enough 3rd and 4th liners already? We need scorers and skill, and these players aren't bringing that.

We're already one of the softest teams in the NHL, so not really sure why Yzerman does this and brings in 5'7 Yamamoto. I dunno, I guess they were free assets, but these players are pretty irrelevant.

Yamamoto was the cost of acquiring Kostin (whos is not soft)

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Yamamoto was the cost of acquiring Kostin (whos is not soft)
I realize that. I just don't really think this trade was necessary. Kostin is a fine 4th liner, probably 3rd liner on our team. Yamamoto is irrelevant to the Wings. We have enough small/soft perimeter wingers already.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I realize that. I just don't really think this trade was necessary. Kostin is a fine 4th liner, probably 3rd liner on our team. Yamamoto is irrelevant to the Wings. We have enough small/soft perimeter wingers already.

Do you get it? You complain about soft wingers but then also complain when we get a tough winger? Doesn’t make much sense. So bury Yamo or trade him for peanuts.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
That has nothing to do with the person I quoted. They were somehow linking Yamamoto and Kostin to Debrincat.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Yzerman used the Wing's cap space to get two assets for basically nothing. Given where the Wings have been drafting they need to accumulate assets every way they can and hope they can turn their De La Roses into Fabbris.

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
Based on reports that Yzerman made this trade to acquire Kostin, and is currently trying to get him signed, my guess is that....

Yamamoto is at best a backup plan in terms of the roster spot they are trying to fill with Kostin. If Kostin doesn't sign, maybe Yamamoto has a spot. But more likely, since he's a completely different type of player, Yamamoto was nothing more than the cost of doing business, and the buyout is inevitable regardless. And Yzerman would have had a high degree of confidence in signing Kostin when the deal was made. Which is all fine, Yamamoto is a cheap buyout, nothing to worry about given Detroit's massive cap space the next couple years at least.

Kostin would be a fine replacement for the Erne/Sundqvist/Chiasson-type role. He only just turned 24.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
But you're talking about one strategy that immediately addresses one need, versus another that may or may not address another need several years from now.

Again, I'm not asking to burn every pick for the next five years. But no drafting strategy fills every roster spot and it's not realistic to expect any of these picks to turn into a 30-40 goal scorer. So use some assets to address the quality and then continue with picking quantity.

You need a mix of prime rib and hamburgers. They're doing a phenomenal job of churning out burgers, but having an extra few dozen burgers doesn't magically turn into a prime cut or two.
Yea, I hear you and its frustrating, but this was an easy move to make and it did address a need, and toughness does not seem to be hamburgers that we have an awful lot of, though we seem to be trending toward being a harder team to play against.
I wanted scoring addressed in the first round also. Benson was there and I'm still disappointed we passed, but I'm liking Danielson a bit more now.
Still curious how they will address the scoring, but don't want them to stop addressing other needs along the way.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well there you go. People were talking about having to hit he cap floor, I said Stevie would pick up a cap dump.

Guaranteed he'll look good in practice, he always scores against the Wings. Nobody else though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad