Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Probably not a bad idea looking for an extra 05 now. This time next season, Mercer is currently the only OA candidate on this team - with the presumption Andonovski and Sale are gone.

Speaking of Mercer, with regards to the pre-camp line-up that I put together previously, I wonder if they stick with the Bottineau - Mercer - Pugliese line until Swick and / or Misaljevic get moved (?) I liked the combo, but one would think they would need to be counted on to do more scoring this season with some good goal-producers now gone.
I think you might see, especially after Swick and Sale are moved, should Sale be returned, either a loaded up number one line of vets, or a complete mix of veterans and young players on every line throughout the forward group.

Since we are rebuilding, I think it makes sense to have “mixed age” lines, especially the top nine. Then roll the top three lines pretty much equally.

For instance, as much as I liked Bottineau, Mercer, and Pugliese on the same line last year, I can see Pugliese being better utilized as Romano’s right winger. He brings jam, snarl, and physicality that I’d like to see on Romanos line. His tenaciousness in the corners would go a long way in helping Romano put some points on the board. And, he can put up a few goals too.

Maybe putting Lam on Ellinas’ right wing, if we go with Ellinas as a center, could make sense too. He would provide for Lam everything that Pugliese provides for Romano.

Then if Hlacar and LaBrash are regulars, have them playing with our ‘08 forwards for obvious reasons.

I understand giving Copeland a tryout at camp. But based on his numbers in the OHL, and even his numbers last year, I’d be mildly surprised if he broke camp with the team.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Monday, August 26th:

7:00 pm – GAME – Team Blue vs. Team White

Tuesday, August 27th:

10:00 am – GAME – Team Blue vs. Team White

Interesting, just the 2 games this camp instead of 3 + the on-ice practice/testing evening that had been the 'norm'.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
I think you might see, especially after Swick and Sale are moved, should Sale be returned, either a loaded up number one line of vets, or a complete mix of veterans and young players on every line throughout the forward group.

Since we are rebuilding, I think it makes sense to have “mixed age” lines, especially the top nine. Then roll the top three lines pretty much equally.

For instance, as much as I liked Bottineau, Mercer, and Pugliese on the same line last year, I can see Pugliese being better utilized as Romano’s right winger. He brings jam, snarl, and physicality that I’d like to see on Romanos line. His tenaciousness in the corners would go a long way in helping Romano put some points on the board. And, he can put up a few goals too.

Maybe putting Lam on Ellinas’ right wing, if we go with Ellinas as a center, could make sense too. He would provide for Lam everything that Pugliese provides for Romano.

Then if Hlacar and LaBrash are regulars, have them playing with our ‘08 forwards for obvious reasons.

I understand giving Copeland a tryout at camp. But based on his numbers in the OHL, and even his numbers last year, I’d be mildly surprised if he broke camp with the team.

I was thinking about it yesterday, and pretty much word for word how you describe the potential lines above is how I saw things in the 2nd half. The Bottineau - Mercer - Pugliese line would only be something I would see coming together until an OA forward or two starts being dealt......and that might be sooner than later. We'll see.

On Copeland, if we trade Swick and / or Misaljevic and try to get a cheap older player, would that kinda not be what would amount to a Copeland-like player ? I would think we would pay more for an 05 with more offensive production - mind you, if MM was planning to acquire an extra 05 at all this season. Going to camp next year, I see Mercer as the only 05 at this point. Or maybe you were referring to an OA as that cheap player in a past post (?)

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
If he shows well I could see him being on the team, especially if we find ourselves too young after we trade our vets away.
personally I think he’d have to have a near perfect camp for them to pay his education package for likely one year of service. His education contract is part of the reason he cleared waivers last year, So unless It voids once he plays in the USHL I don’t see it

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I was thinking about it yesterday, and pretty much word for word how you describe the potential lines above is how I saw things in the 2nd half. The Bottineau - Mercer - Pugliese line would only be something I would see coming together until an OA forward or two starts being dealt......and that might be sooner than later. We'll see.

On Copeland, if we trade Swick and / or Misaljevic and try to get a cheap older player, would that kinda not be what would amount to a Copeland-like player ? I would think we would pay more for an 05 with more offensive production - mind you, if MM was planning to acquire an extra 05 at all this season. Going to camp next year, I see Mercer as the only 05 at this point. Or maybe you were referring to an OA as that cheap player in a past post (?)
I think it’s a given that Pugliese should be one of our OA’s. Especially since it’s a rebuilding year and you’re not in the market for top shelf OA’s.
I also think it’s a given that Swick should be moved because he is the most valuable of our OA group and would bring the best return. I don’t see it making sense keeping him here if there is decent return for him out there.
I’m not so sure Miseljevic’s trade value. If we have Pugliese and Lam on the right side, Miseljevic being a right wing as well could make some sense keeping him for the season if there’s not a trade to be made for him. He’s a left shot RW. But can he play on the left side? That would help if we are trading Swick and Sale. If those two are traded, our left side would be thin.

If and when we move Andonovski, we’re going to need veteran help on the blue line. That’s where that inexpensive 19 year-old veteran castoff or two would be added to the blueline.

I think it’s a good sign that both Parsons and Malboeuf are at camp. That tells me both want to play in the league this year. But also tells me that MM has not moved on from Malboeuf in favour of Parsons. I think MM could be looking for a deal to move Parsons. That may be why Malboeuf has not moved on to another league yet. I would love to see a Malboeuf/Edwards, 50/50 split this year. I think it would go a long way in Edwards’ development where a Parsons/Edwards tandem would be a lot closer to a 70-30 split.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think it’s a given that Pugliese should be one of our OA’s. Especially since it’s a rebuilding year and you’re not in the market for top shelf OA’s.
I also think it’s a given that Swick should be moved because he is the most valuable of our OA group and would bring the best return. I don’t see it making sense keeping him here if there is decent return for him out there.
I’m not so sure Miseljevic’s trade value. If we have Pugliese and Lam on the right side, Miseljevic being a right wing as well could make some sense keeping him for the season if there’s not a trade to be made for him. He’s a left shot RW. But can he play on the left side? That would help if we are trading Swick and Sale. If those two are traded, our left side would be thin.

If and when we move Andonovski, we’re going to need veteran help on the blue line. That’s where that inexpensive 19 year-old veteran castoff or two would be added to the blueline.

I think it’s a good sign that both Parsons and Malboeuf are at camp. That tells me both want to play in the league this year. But also tells me that MM has not moved on from Malboeuf in favour of Parsons. I think MM could be looking for a deal to move Parsons. That may be why Malboeuf has not moved on to another league yet. I would love to see a Malboeuf/Edwards, 50/50 split this year. I think it would go a long way in Edwards’ development where a Parsons/Edwards tandem would be a lot closer to a 70-30 split.
how do you get edwards any time, you cant just expect him to come in at 18 and start right away? what gaolie has done that. most starters need a year playing behind a vet to adjust to the league without the pressure.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
how do you get edwards any time, you cant just expect him to come in at 18 and start right away? what gaolie has done that. most starters need a year playing behind a vet to adjust to the league without the pressure.
That’s right. I’m saying at 17, he would play behind one of our OA goalies. I prefer Malboeuf over Parsons because Parsons would want the net a lot more. Malboeuf would more likely be content to play only half the games.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
I also just noticed that Parsons and Malboeuf are on the same team for this training camp, which to me means that they want a longer look at both Edwards and Shaubel on the other team to see if they look up to snuff early in the preseason.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
Question for you wonderful folk here. I have a blank blue Ranger's jersey that I bought the other year, and I an wondering who I should get on it. I hesitated last year cause I didn't want to have player on it for only half a season and then the get traded but that didn't happen so I waited. So what I guess I'm asking is what would be some good suggestions to put on the jersey?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Question for you wonderful folk here. I have a blank blue Ranger's jersey that I bought the other year, and I a wondering who I should get on it. I hesitated last year cause I didn't want to have player on it for only half a season and then the get traded but that didn't happen so I waited. So what I guess I'm asking is what would be some good suggestions to put on the jersey?
Reid or Romano will be there when you host the m cup in 2026/27 I’d go for one of those guys.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
Reid or Romano will be there when you host the m cup in 2026/27 I’d go for one of those guys.
Those two are my front runners right now for sure. I do like what lam brings too but maybe I'll go with Reid as I think he could be that teams captain too. Just have to hope he doesn't pull a Skinner and leave us before the Mem Cup.

Reactions: frontsfan67

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Those two are my front runners right now for sure. I do like what lam brings too but maybe I'll go with Reid as I think he could be that teams captain too. Just have to hope he doesn't pull a Skinner and leave us before the Mem Cup.
I'm actually more worried about Romano. His development curve is off the charts from where he was a year ago. Also skilled forwards seem to go up sooner than dmen most of the time.

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
Question for you wonderful folk here. I have a blank blue Ranger's jersey that I bought the other year, and I an wondering who I should get on it. I hesitated last year cause I didn't want to have player on it for only half a season and then the get traded but that didn't happen so I waited. So what I guess I'm asking is what would be some good suggestions to put on the jersey?
Valentini #11

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
We’ll find out in 7-10 days probabl

Reid with an "A"

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I haven’t heard a thing and don’t want to speculate at all.
I believe all we have to go on is that when he left camp or when camp was over, I believe it was said that he had left the team or that team and he had parted ways.

There wasn’t the usual “assignment to this or that JrB team” as was the case with other signed players who didn’t make the team out of camp.

It was an eyebrow raiser at the time.

Reactions: All the Answers

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
What could we expect in a trade return for Misaljevic if we deal him? Any past comparables?

There have been a few OA trades now, but when I take a look at the list of all of the remaining surplus OA's I have the feeling MM may be have limited options. I think the best case scenarios have already been discussed here.

This glut of OA's seems to be currently creating a buyer's market. I'm guessing the way to swing things in favour of the sellers is to let the glut take care of itself. So looking at the worst case, perhaps MM finds that quality offers for trading his extra two OA's are currently limited or even non-existent (likely same story for many of the teams). So maybe he determines that he may get better value at the trade deadline by releasing the two least valuable OA's now (assuming no market for them) and hope that trade value of the remaining three increases at the deadline compared to now.

Does anyone else see it this way, or some alternative? Who knows how many more OA trades will take place, but I think if anything, there may be some immediate interest possibly in Swick. As I said before, he has enough attributes to go along with his size for him to be attractive to some team, one would think. Gonna be an interesting few weeks ahead.

Last edited:

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
There have been a few OA trades now, but when I take a look at the list of all of the remaining surplus OA's I have the feeling MM may be have limited opinions. I think the best case scenarios have already been discussed here.

This glut of OA's seems to be currently creating a buyer's market. I'm guessing the way to swing things in favour of the sellers is to let the glut take care of itself. So looking at the worst case, perhaps MM finds that quality offers for trading his extra two OA's are currently limited or even non-existent (likely same story for many of the teams). So maybe he determines that he may get better value at the trade deadline by releasing the two least valuable OA's now (assuming no market for them) and hope that trade value of the remaining three increases at the deadline compared to now.

Does anyone else see it this way, or some alternative? Who knows how many more OA trades will take place, but I think if anything, there may be some immediate interest possibly in Swick. As I said before, he has enough attributes to go along with his size for him to be attractive to some team, one would think. Gonna be an interesting few weeks ahead.

Swick I believe has a market and willing trading partners. It’s just a matter of MM taking what the offers are or he wants to hold onto Swick for some vet presence until the deadline (hopefully he ends up being traded). We got a decent haul for Rehkopf but lots still needs to be done to surround the 2007 / 2008 players. You aren’t going to do that by allowing your best OA to graduate without any return for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad