Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I believe all we have to go on is that when he left camp or when camp was over, I believe it was said that he had left the team or that team and he had parted ways.

There wasn’t the usual “assignment to this or that JrB team” as was the case with other signed players who didn’t make the team out of camp.

It was an eyebrow raiser at the time.
It was said that he wanted to be closer to home. Something more going on here. Family issue perhaps. His name was still associated with the Rangers by the Rangers and even Brown mentioned him in one of his more recent articles. There's never been an formal parting of ways.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It was said that he wanted to be closer to home. Something more going on here. Family issue perhaps. His name was still associated with the Rangers by the Rangers and even Brown mentioned him in one of his more recent articles. There's never been a formal parting of ways.
Odd then that he isn’t at camp. Was he here long enough to burn NCAA eligibility?

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
Should we read into Sale not being on the camp roster?
Definitely not.

As a European, and a top pick at that, his priority would be NHL/AHL and then coming back to Kitchener would be more of a “loan” scenario from Seattle in his D+2 year.

Same thing was the case with Mešár leading into his D+2 season with Montreal.

Edited addition: I also think there’s a much much greater chance he ends up back in Kitchener than there was with Mešár

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Brock Otten's take on the top OHL prospects for the NHL 2025 draft;

9. Cameron Reid - Defense - Kitchener Rangers
I think what was most impressive about Reid is that he improved every month of his rookie season with the Rangers, finishing the season as a critical component on a team with strong playoff aspirations. He's a strong skater. He makes a good exit pass. He keeps his head on a swivel. He defends pace well with good gap control and an active stick. He has good defensive instincts. There's a lot to like at both ends of the ice. That was fully on display at the recent Hlinka/Gretzky too, where Reid was a fairly solid presence for Team Canada. I've said before that I felt like Reid had higher offensive potential than Matt Schaefer, but I'm not sure I believe that anymore. That doesn't mean that Reid can't be a quality powerplay quarterback too. This year, I'm going to be looking for more activation from him, using his skating ability to be more aggressive offensively at even strength. The only real weakness in his game comes from the need to play with more jam in the defensive end. Last year, he struggled defending the net front and wasn't winning 50/50 battles consistently. Not surprising considering his age. This year, we need to see that improve. If it does, I think Reid is a potential top 50 pick.

10. Luca Romano - Center/Wing - Kitchener Rangers
IMO, the preseason top nine is pretty set. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't have those nine players in some order. That means I considered a ton of different players for this number ten spot (which really means very little this early in the game). I decided to go with Romano because I think that he has the potential to be a really versatile player as he bulks up. The first thing you'll notice about his game is his speed. He's lightning quick. He loves to play at a breakneck pace. However, he's a smart player too. His offensive skill set is pretty well rounded. He does everything pretty well. It's that combination of a well rounded game, high IQ, and the speed element that could make him a very versatile pro. We definitely saw that as an OHL rookie and we saw it recently at the Hlinka/Gretzky. What's missing from his game is strength on the puck and composure under pressure. He's just too easy to separate from the puck right now. That was one of my biggest takeaways at the Hlinka, that it looks like that hadn't improved much. Regardless, he could easily be this year's Jett Luchanko with the right mindset and improvements.

22. Tanner Lam - Wing - Kitchener Rangers
Lam is a fun player to watch. Lots of speed and skill in a small package. He's going to be a high scoring OHL player at some point. I would guess that by the time he graduates out of this league, he'll be a top 10 point producer. He really did have an impressive rookie year for the Rangers and was more consistent than I would have expected him to be (after having watched him with Halton a bit as a U16 player). As an undersized winger, he's going to need to produce offensively to be draft relevant. He definitely has the potential to do so, but let's see how his strength on the puck and off puck play has improved this year too.

Honourable Mention (one on the list)
Matheas Stark - Defense/Wing - Kitchener Rangers

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
One change to the initial training camp roster.
Dylan Orr has been replaced by free agent Ayden Agius

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Does anyone know anything about Kaden Schneider? Does he have a shot?
Not sure about his shot or anything, but I did like what I saw with him in his first training camp here. Has good size. Didn’t really look like 14th round pick calibre to me.

An Alberta boy who opted for the OHL draft because dad Geoff, a Kitchener native, played in the OHL.

It’ll be interesting to see how he looks at this camp. You never know, even though he may be a longshot, he may be in their plans this year, in some way.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
Not sure about his shot or anything, but I did like what I saw with him in his first training camp here. Has good size. Didn’t really look like 14th round pick calibre to me.

An Alberta boy who opted for the OHL draft because dad Geoff, a Kitchener native, played in the OHL.

It’ll be interesting to see how he looks at this camp. You never know, even though he may be a longshot, he may be in their plans this year, in some way.
I agree!

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
What he has going for him? Height and he is a 2007. Looks like he has very little offense ability but Reid and Bilecki will provide a good chuck of the offence from the D in mem cup year so it might not be too badly needed. If he can really show he can be a shut down D there is a spot up for grabs.

I was looking at his weight and height on the training camp roster and something else grabbed my attention. What really stood out to me is Bottineau is only 165lbs at 6ft. Usually a 6ft player in his 3rd year in the OHL would be around 180lbs. He looks thicker on the ice….just a little shocked he weighs so little for an 18 year old in his 3rd season.

Misa as an OA at 154lbs….jeez….does he know what a dumbbell is?

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
Anxious to see if any prospects filled out and up at all.

Bottineau- EP has it at 168. Seems right, I question the 6'0 though.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
What he has going for him? Height and he is a 2007. Looks like he has very little offense ability but Reid and Bilecki will provide a good chuck of the offence from the D in mem cup year so it might not be too badly needed. If he can really show he can be a shut down D there is a spot up for grabs.

I was looking at his weight and height on the training camp roster and something else grabbed my attention. What really stood out to me is Bottineau is only 165lbs at 6ft. Usually a 6ft player in his 3rd year in the OHL would be around 180lbs. He looks thicker on the ice….just a little shocked he weighs so little for an 18 year old in his 3rd season.

Misa as an OA at 154lbs….jeez….does he know what a dumbbell is?
The Rangers use last years heights and weights when they list the preseason rosters.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad