Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
How did Gaitens look in the blue white games?

Our fourth round pick in the last draft, I’m hoping he can be that draft’s version of Andrew MacNiel. MacNiel looked good in last year’s camp. I’m just wondering if Gaitens looked as promising.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
From Brown's article:

“Nobody thinks we’re going to be good this year,” said head coach Jussi Ahokas, who returns for his second stint as skipper. “But that suits us well. We have to prove to everybody that as a young team we can be really good.

“We have to be patient and do a lot of teaching,” said Ahokas. “We have to be really structured and hard working. That is kind of our identity, it has to be.”

“I’m excited about our group,” said Ahokas, who returned to Kitchener last week after spending the summer at home in Finland. “They’re young boys and you have to put your egos away and play for the team. We need to keep getting better. One per cent every day. That’s the biggest issue for us.”

“We’re going to name a captain this year,” said Ahokas.
Thanks for posting since we cancelled the Record!

Offside by a mile

Sep 27, 2019
I was only able to get to 1 of the Blue and White Games but here was my take.

Copeland-I was so hopeful and paid close attention to him when he was on the ice. He looked like he was disinterested at times, floating saucer passes around that were picked off as if he was playing pickup hockey. I didn't see any high end speed, there were glimpses of his playmaking but nothing worth noting- I turned to the person beside me and said i would much rather see any minutes he would be getting given to younger hungry players.

Dirracolo-Looked awesome, jumped up a bunch of times and his overall foot speed looked much improved.

Romano- He was on another level- He's going to carry the bag when it comes to this teams offense this year. Or at least be doing some of the heavy lifting.

BIlecki- First off, the bubble can go anytime- It just looks so weird. But regarding his play. I thought he looked poised with the puck. Smart and had very good instincts, on the Def side he broke up at least 2 , 2 on 1's so that was nice. Overall i thought he looked good. Not out of place.

Arquette- This could be the diamond in the rough. Sending him back looks to be the right move. He looked lightning fast at times and the kids just keeps working and working. Might have been my biggest surprise. Him or Max.

I could go on and on but those guys caught my eye.

I'm not about to dog players all year especially when they are 18 years old- But the Bottineau that i seen 2/3 the way through last year was not the player i watched. He was honestly just floating around. Making no impact. ( I’m hoping to hear, he was fighting the flu or coming off an injury or something) because he did not look good. But i believe he can turn it around.

Finally Kaden Schneider confirmed is signing.

Reactions: EvenSteven

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
Bilecki- First off, the bubble can go anytime- It just looks so weird. But regarding his play. I thought he looked poised with the puck. Smart and had very good instincts, on the Def side he broke up at least 2 , 2 on 1's so that was nice. Overall i thought he looked good. Not out of place.
On Bilecki wearing a bubble still, could this mean he may be only on a “B” card at the moment? (meaning he would have to wear the bubble and not permitted to wear a half shield)

Could just be personal preference for the time being and I’m just reading into it too much… was Weston Cameron wearing a half shield?

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
On Bilecki wearing a bubble still, could this mean he may be only on a “B” card at the moment? (meaning he would have to wear the bubble and not permitted to wear a half shield)

Could just be personal preference for the time being and I’m just reading into it too much… was Weston Cameron wearing a half shield?
Half shield for Weston, yes.

Copeland-I was so hopeful and paid close attention to him when he was on the ice. He looked like he was disinterested at times, floating saucer passes around that were picked off as if he was playing pickup hockey. I didn't see any high end speed, there were glimpses of his playmaking but nothing worth noting- I turned to the person beside me and said i would much rather see any minutes he would be getting given to younger hungry players.

Dirracolo-Looked awesome, jumped up a bunch of times and his overall foot speed looked much improved.

Romano- He was on another level- He's going to carry the bag when it comes to this teams offense this year. Or at least be doing some of the heavy lifting.

BIlecki- First off, the bubble can go anytime- It just looks so weird. But regarding his play. I thought he looked poised with the puck. Smart and had very good instincts, on the Def side he broke up at least 2 , 2 on 1's so that was nice. Overall i thought he looked good. Not out of place.

Arquette- This could be the diamond in the rough. Sending him back looks to be the right move. He looked lightning fast at times and the kids just keeps working and working. Might have been my biggest surprise. Him or Max.

I'm not about to dog players all year especially when they are 18 years old- But the Bottineau that i seen 2/3 the way through last year was not the player i watched. He was honestly just floating around. Making no impact. ( I’m hoping to hear, he was fighting the flu or coming off an injury or something) because he did not look good. But i believe he can turn it around.

Agreed Botts was very invisible, at least in game 1 that I watched.

Reactions: OnlyUpFromHere49

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
How did Gaitens look in the blue white games?

Our fourth round pick in the last draft, I’m hoping he can be that draft’s version of Andrew MacNiel. MacNiel looked good in last year’s camp. I’m just wondering if Gaitens looked as promising.

I thought Gaitens was pretty good. Solid skater, took good angles. Seemed to have good vision with the puck. Definitely this year’s MacNiel potentially.

I Mac 80

Jul 23, 2023
I was at both games and granted my opinion of things should be taken with many grains of salt as my hockey scouting is not what many other posters is but I’ll give it a go. Lam, Ellinas and Missle where a line that seemed to spend the majority of both games or at least the second game together. I liked Ellinas at centre. I really liked the look of Weston Cameron. Good size, decent skater and seemed to have no problem keeping up with the pace of play. I’d like to see him get meaningful minutes as the season goes on. Headrick looked quick and not shying away from the physical stuff. He could be a good player in a year or two. Stark looked good on the Blueline as I didn’t even notice him back there which is a good thing. Dirracolo is a different looking player from last year. Pug was hustling and trying to make things happen every shift. He would actually get my nod as captain since Ando will more than likely get traded and it seems strange to finally name a captain and then trade him. Some of the vets looked like they were just going through the motions (I hope that was the case anyways). Both overage goalies looked good with Parsons ahead of Malbouef. I think in two periods Paraons only gave up one goal which was good considering the defence was lacking a bit. The younger goalies looked a bit jittery the first game but settled down a bit the second game. Young Schauble def needs full time games this season at the Jr B level. As mentioned by a previous poster team def needs some sandpaper and jam. Perhaps Hlcar can bring that. Not the best skater but in the offensive zone he was on the puck and then went to the front of the net. Perhaps on a line with some quicker defensively responsible guys he might be ok. Again it’s hard to gauge in a intra squad game. I think we’ll have a better understanding after the weekend. Again just my two cents which aren’t worth very much.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017

Great input! And there's been no confirmation that Schneider is going to be signed. None that I've seen BUT I can't believe that they're keeping him around to get a closer look. What?....he's part of all the team bonding (ie pickle ball).....plays in 3 weekend games (let's say he does)....and then is told, yeah....sorry....we're not going to sign you! I have a feeling we will see something about this today.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Great input! And there's been no confirmation that Schneider is going to be signed. None that I've seen BUT I can't believe that they're keeping him around to get a closer look. What?....he's part of all the team bonding (ie pickle ball).....plays in 3 weekend games (let's say he does)....and then is told, yeah....sorry....we're not going to sign you! I have a feeling we will see something about this today.
If he’s signed, that would be eight signed from the 2023 draft.

Without looking it up, we can assume that this would be one of the most fruitful drafts for the Rangers in what? Decades?

Certainly since the turn of the century.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017

Without looking it up, we can assume that this would be one of the most fruitful drafts for the Rangers in what? Decades?

I can't really think of anything close in quite awhile. Going back to the 90's it always seemed as we had some decent picks, but had that 2nd or 3rd round flop in the mix. The staff did have the benefit of the extra comp pick, but still that aside, the overall 2023 draft was about as good as it gets. I guess it makes up for the 2022 downer.

As for 2024, obviously too early to tell, but I can't imagine it coming close to 2023. As a side note, from what I've read so far, is that the 2025 draft should be stronger than this past draft. Not sure whether or not that is true, and if it is, is it partly because of the absence of some quality players going elsewhere (?) Maybe someone else can confirm.

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023

He will be signed.

Good call on the 2023 draft - MM went from out the door to potential Mem Cup Hosts with that draft.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
He will be signed.

Good call on the 2023 draft - MM went from out the door to potential Mem Cup Hosts with that draft.
Some say that London’s 2001 draft was the best OHL draft in the modern era. That draft class produced eight OHL regulars plus a guy or two who played a few games in the league.

Depending on how our 2023 draft class develops, (and there’s always the long shot that a flyer from that draft finds their way here), we could match London’s 2001 draft class in quantity. Quality on the other hand? That remains to be seen.

But it looks like we could be off to a good start!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
As a side note, from what I've read so far, is that the 2025 draft should be stronger than this past draft.
And with that in mind, it will help us a ton in 2025 having what should be a very early 1st round pick along with very early picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds depending on how rebuilding Peterboro does this season.

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
There is an angle being overlooked here....Injuries! Don't want to be negative but weren't we told boys were missing in game 2? Bott...Anstis...maybe more?

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Kitchener fans...do you know if the preseason games you're hosting (even the non Kitchener ones) this weekend will be streaming anywhere online or if they'll be on the CHL app?

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Kitchener fans...do you know if the preseason games you're hosting (even the non Kitchener ones) this weekend will be streaming anywhere online or if they'll be on the CHL app?

From what I see, I think the Sep 6th Ranger X-Game is the first to be broadcasted from the Aud, although I suppose that could change.

On that subject though, is it true that Rogers has reached an agreement to broadcast 100% of the Ranger home games this season? If true that would be awesome. I'm sure there are those who enjoy watching a baking show, but on a Friday night my brain is geared to hockey :) .

And with that in mind, it will help us a ton in 2025 having what should be a very early 1st round pick along with very early picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds depending on how rebuilding Peterboro does this season.
Yes. And maybe there is still a chance to upgrade the overall quality of this 2024 group by way of a trade with a willing participant at the deadline (!?)

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Any idea what’s happening with your imports? Just making a list of all the teams that have an import spot open.

Says you guys may have Sale back on EP. what about chrenko, kos, or kiviharju?

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Any idea what’s happening with your imports? Just making a list of all the teams that have an import spot open.

Says you guys may have Sale back on EP. what about chrenko, kos, or kiviharju?

Sale is our only signed import. He can play AHL though this year. Most Ranger fans (me included) don’t think he is ready for that jump yet and will eventually be returned to the Rangers. Very high chance he is traded when he comes back.

I think after St Louis camp Kos will sign. Not ready for AHL and St Louis will probably want him playing in North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad