Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Yes, fair point. It's extremely unusual, though. OHL teams just don't trade 19-year-olds of this calibre in August. Of course they also don't typically go all-in from eighth place either.

I guess this puts to bed any speculation that Rehkopf might make Seattle this year (always a long shot but I recall it coming up a couple times).
Now that I think about it, it’s curious that none of the picks that went to Brampton in the deal were conditional. I know we all expect Rehkopf to play his 19 year old season in the OHL, but you’d think that Brampton would have protected themselves should the unexpected happen and Rehkopf make the Kraken.

Back when we traded for 19 year old Logan Stanley in the off season, most or all of the picks going to Windsor were conditional on him playing one game with the Rangers.

What if he goes up at the start of the season to play his ten games, and he impresses and we have a Matthew Poitras scenario all over again?

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Now that I think about it, it’s curious that none of the picks that went to Brampton in the deal were conditional. I know we all expect Rehkopf to play his 19 year old season in the OHL, but you’d think that Brampton would have protected themselves should the unexpected happen and Rehkopf make the Kraken.

Back when we traded for 19 year old Logan Stanley in the off season, most or all of the picks going to Windsor were conditional on him playing one game with the Rangers.

What if he goes up at the start of the season to play his ten games, and he impresses and we have a Matthew Poitras scenario all over again?
I have to believe that Brampton had discussion with Seattle about Rehkopf's chances of staying in the NHL. No GM could be that incompetent could they?

He does need a lot of work on becoming a two way player. That's not something that gets fixed over the summer.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I have to believe that Brampton had discussion with Seattle about Rehkopf's chances of staying in the NHL. No GM could be that incompetent could they?

He does need a lot of work on becoming a two way player. That's not something that gets fixed over the summer.
I’m sure there were discussions. But due diligence should have been done.

What if Rehkopf puts up 6 or 7 goals in 10 games to start the NHL season? It’s not totally out of the question if they put him with a high end setup man.

Or heaven forbid he suffers a season ending injury during those 10 games.

I’m betting that he’s returned at some point, but boy I’d have liked most of those picks to have been conditional if I’m on the Brampton side of things.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
And the hits just keep on coming..........

1723294527698.png

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I’m sure there were discussions. But due diligence should have been done.

What if Rehkopf puts up 6 or 7 goals in 10 games to start the NHL season? It’s not totally out of the question if they put him with a high end setup man.

Or heaven forbid he suffers a season ending injury during those 10 games.

I’m betting that he’s returned at some point, but boy I’d have liked most of those picks to have been conditional if I’m on the Brampton side of things.
Possibly it was discussed and if there were conditions the price would have been much higher. It would have defeated the purpose of the early trade for the Rangers to take on risk.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Possibly it was discussed and if there were conditions the price would have been much higher. It would have defeated the purpose of the early trade for the Rangers to take on risk.
I’m not so sure there would be a difference in cost. Usually, you’d see in a trade of this magnitude, seven or eight of those picks being conditional upon Rehkopf playing one game in the league this year. The rest of the picks not having conditions which compensates Rangers for giving up the players rights.

Unless MM had Brampton over a barrel citing similar offers from other teams, where none of the picks were conditional, there’s no excuse for Brampton, not to push that the majority of the picks be conditional upon his return to the OHL this year.

Squirrel88

Jul 1, 2023
Romano has looked quick in the tournament. Not sure whether he is quicker this year, or just looks that way relative to the competition.

I agree that he has looked pretty good on the PK. I wonder if KIT uses him there. He is going to get a ton of ice time, so he is unlikely to be the first option. That seems to be part of his potential NHL value, so they probably want to give him a chance to showcase those skills.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Double Rs in Reid n Romano are going to give me fits as a Knights fan.
Kudos, Dang it.
But always root for the 2 teams just east on the 401 being strong as it makes seasons more fun to follow here in London. ( just no game 7 PO wins in our barn please )

Reactions: LostRangers

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I’m not so sure there would be a difference in cost. Usually, you’d see in a trade of this magnitude, seven or eight of those picks being conditional upon Rehkopf playing one game in the league this year. The rest of the picks not having conditions which compensates Rangers for giving up the players rights.

Unless MM had Brampton over a barrel citing similar offers from other teams, where none of the picks were conditional, there’s no excuse for Brampton, not to push that the majority of the picks be conditional upon his return to the OHL this year.
MM didn't have Brampton over a barrel. But he didn't have to move Rehkopf either.

There certainly would have been a premium if some of those picks were conditional. At least there should have been. Conditional picks are like insurance. Insurance comes at a price.

Double Rs in Reid n Romano are going to give me fits as a Knights fan.
Kudos, Dang it.
But always root for the 2 teams just east on the 401 being strong as it makes seasons more fun to follow here in London. ( just no game 7 PO wins in our barn please )
Almost certainly won't be in 2025 but no promises after that 😁

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
Yes, but how many icings/60 and skating to the outside% did he have?!? We need the important numbers!!!
Yes, but how many icings/60 and skating to the outside% did he have?!? We need the important numbers!!!
Circle skating in August against the B team competition. Any idea why the stands are empty? Again...let's "circle" back in December.

• Haha
Reactions: rangersblues

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
Ref are you really doubling down on your take to bash Romano after virtually every member here disagreed with you? The only B competition there is USA, the kids looked great!

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Ref are you really doubling down on your take to bash Romano after virtually every member here disagreed with you? The only B competition there is USA, the kids looked great!
It's obvious the ref has a burr up his butt against Romano. My take he is a troll and not a Ranger fan. Take what this poster says with a grain of salt. Not worth the effort to respond anymore.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
What’s the market for Swick right now?

Has the Guindon and Mathurin deals set the preseason price for good OA’s? OA’s that would be in demand by teams looking to contend or at least make some noise this year?

Does it make sense to move Swick now for a comparable return or wait it out closer to the deadline?

With what looks like it’s maybe a year where it’s a buyer’s market for OA’s, should MM take a comparable return now and run vs waiting until closer to the deadline where he’d be uncertain on the return?

His reasoning for moving Rehkopf should stand for any other vet he plans on moving. The same risks, (possible regression, injury, etc) should apply to Swick and Andonovski just as it does Rehkopf, no?

Reactions: rangersblues

I Mac 80

Jul 23, 2023

Has the Guindon and Mathurin deals set the preseason price for good OA’s? OA’s that would be in demand by teams looking to contend or at least make some noise this year?

Does it make sense to move Swick now for a comparable return or wait it out closer to the deadline?

With what looks like it’s maybe a year where it’s a buyer’s market for OA’s, should MM take a comparable return now and run vs waiting until closer to the deadline where he’d be uncertain on the return?

His reasoning for moving Rehkopf should stand for any other vet he plans on moving. The same risks, (possible regression, injury, etc) should apply to Swick and Andonovski just as it does Rehkopf, no?
I just wonder that perhaps Swick might get a longer look at Vegas’ AHL affiliate for a roster spot, thus there being no guarantees yet that he’ll be back? I believe that another season in the OHL is what’s best for him where he will get top line minutes and play all situations instead of maybe 4th line minutes or sitting in the press box. I 100% believe that he should be traded as he will bring back the most value in regards to our over agers.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

I predict what happened with Roman Schmidt will happen to Trent Swick. They’ll trade him and Misaljevic and get some pretty good picks.

Gotta think one of those 2 goes pretty soon with the price of a quality OA right now.

Pugliese probably doesn’t go for as much and I assume the rangers keep him.

Not gonna keep 2 OA goalies so 1 will definitely get traded or waived. If they’re trying to get their bang for their buck on this- parsons should gather more interest leaving pugliese and malbouef and 1 OA spot open.

Reactions: Habsrule

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I would move him ASAP if there is no real good reason to keep him, and there is a good offer. Next to OA goalies, LW is the most saturated position.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
I’ve been wondering if MM considers hanging on to Swick. Of the older players - 04’s, 05’s and even the 06’s - I see Swick, Miseljevic, Sale (assuming he’s back), and Ellinas as the only “older players” to have the potential to put up relatively consistent numbers…..and it may remain to be seen how well Miseljevic does if he doesn’t have a “good enough” supporting cast. This also takes into consideration that Andonovski is traded away from the backend, further depleting the 05 group.

I don’t think we can realistically expect Bottineau and Mercer to ever be those offensive type of players unfortunately (although I suppose anything is possible).

One could make a case that we don’t care how ugly the results are on the ice this season, but I’m not 100% sure MM necessarily sees it that way….especially if the LW OA market is as unattractive (from a seller’s point) as to what dirty is pointing out. For the record, I personally favour a trade if the price is adequate.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I’ve been wondering if MM considers hanging on to Swick. Of the older players - 04’s, 05’s and even the 06’s - I see Swick, Miseljevic, Sale (assuming he’s back), and Ellinas as the only “older players” to have the potential to put up relatively consistent numbers…..and it may remain to be seen how well Miseljevic does if he doesn’t have a “good enough” supporting cast. This also takes into consideration that Andonovski is traded away from the backend, further depleting the 05 group.

I don’t think we can realistically expect Bottineau and Mercer to ever be those offensive type of players unfortunately (although I suppose anything is possible).

One could make a case that we don’t care how ugly the results are on the ice this season, but I’m not 100% sure MM necessarily sees it that way….especially if the LW OA market is as unattractive (from a seller’s point) as to what dirty is pointing out. For the record, I personally favour a trade if the price is adequate.
As dirty said, if there’s a decent offer for Swick on the table, I take it now. As I said earlier, the risks involved in hanging onto Rehkopf until the deadline also apply to Swick and Andonovski, and Sale as well if he is returned.

I move all three sooner than later to reduce risk and maximize return.

As far as having a low number of vets on the team to help out the kids, there will be castoff vets from contending teams that we could get for a song if we think we need veteran experience in the lineup.

And where we end up this year in the standings means nothing to me (and despite what he says, MM making the Rehkopf trade now tells me he doesn’t much care either). Best case scenario is a top four pick. That player we take in the first round would be in his NHL draft year the season we try to host. It would be ideal for that player to be elite. Compare to Rehkopf a couple years ago and the contribution he made here in his draft year. He was a big part of our forward group that year.

With the scarcity of available OA right wingers this year, depending on the start Miseljevic has, there may be a market for him at the deadline as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Albania vs Georgia