Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Lot of guys around and skating, according to Taylor…no Sid or Geno…and a surprise coach lol…

• Main rink: Kevin Hayes, Jonathan Gruden, Valtteri Puustinen, Noel Acciari, Sam Poulin, Ryan Shea, Lars Eller, Jesse Puljujarvi, Marcus Pettersson, Bryan Rust, Drew O'Connor, John Ludvig, Ryan Graves, Erik Karlsson, Cody Glass, Matt Grzelcyk, Corey Andonovski, Rutger McGroarty, Rickard Rakell, Vasily Ponomarev, Blake Lizotte, Alex Nedeljkovic, Tristan Jarry (adding to this as I go, keep checking back)

• Second rink: Sergei Murashov, Taylor Gauthier, Joel Blomqvist, Filip Larsson, Marc Johnstone, Isaac Belliveau, Joona Koppanen, Harrison Brunicke, Owen Pickering, Ville Koivunen, Scooter Brickey, Tristan Broz, Nathan Clurman, Raivis Ansons, Cooper Foster, Filip Kral, Boko Imama (still adding to this too as I go, lots of guys to keep track of)

• The session on the main rink is being run by Ty Hennes, Andy Chiodo ... and Jeff Carter, wearing the coach getup and everything:
That's the makings of a non playoff roster if I've ever seen one. Even with Sid and Geno we will plummet, glad we're stock piling picks and prospects. 2029 can't come soon enough.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I would love to see us swap a forward with the Leafs for Robertson!! They can use a veteran for their run like an Eller and we get younger and a guy management knows well!

I'm surprised that people aren't talking about Robertson more. Seems like exactly what we would want. A young LW that hasn't quite broken out yet, but shows some signs of being able to do it if given an opportunity next to someone like Crosby. His stats don't blow you away or anything, but he scored at a 35 even strength point pace last year getting only 11min a night.

I would assume it takes more than Eller to get him, but that is a good starting point IMO.

Robertson off the board...signed with Leafs for 1 year

Well that was a fun conversation while it lasted!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Lot of guys around and skating, according to Taylor…no Sid or Geno…and a surprise coach lol…

• Main rink: Kevin Hayes, Jonathan Gruden, Valtteri Puustinen, Noel Acciari, Sam Poulin, Ryan Shea, Lars Eller, Jesse Puljujarvi, Marcus Pettersson, Bryan Rust, Drew O'Connor, John Ludvig, Ryan Graves, Erik Karlsson, Cody Glass, Matt Grzelcyk, Corey Andonovski, Rutger McGroarty, Rickard Rakell, Vasily Ponomarev, Blake Lizotte, Alex Nedeljkovic, Tristan Jarry (adding to this as I go, keep checking back)

• Second rink: Sergei Murashov, Taylor Gauthier, Joel Blomqvist, Filip Larsson, Marc Johnstone, Isaac Belliveau, Joona Koppanen, Harrison Brunicke, Owen Pickering, Ville Koivunen, Scooter Brickey, Tristan Broz, Nathan Clurman, Raivis Ansons, Cooper Foster, Filip Kral, Boko Imama (still adding to this too as I go, lots of guys to keep track of)

• The session on the main rink is being run by Ty Hennes, Andy Chiodo ... and Jeff Carter, wearing the coach getup and everything:
Imagine being a fresh-faced, starry-eyed Penguins prospect and you show up and it's Jeff Carter running the practice.

Anyone wanna take bets on how long before McGroarty asks out?

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It means literally nothing but it's a bit interesting that McGroarty is on the ice with the predominantly NHL guys or contenders for the NHL roster. Not that it's a surprise though. A bit interesting that Koivunen is on the second rink but Ponomarev is on the first rink, though.

Also it's good to see Ludvig skating again, I thought he was out until December/January but he may be on track to come back sooner.

Reactions: wej20

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was in support of trading for Robertson before acquiring McGroarty, but as is I don't really see a spot for him on this team. You're already sitting with something like:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
McGroarty-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Hayes-Beauvillier
Nieto-Glass-Acciari

You already likely need to subtract 2 guys from this, adding Robertson would mean you'd need to subtract a third guy as well. The only spot I can see for Robertson is swapping Puustinen for him, which I would do if Toronto would go for it.

Reactions: Sideline

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I was in support of trading for Robertson before acquiring McGroarty, but as is I don't really see a spot for him on this team. You're already sitting with something like:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Nieto-Glass-Acciari

You already likely need to subtract 2 guys from this, adding Robertson would mean you'd need to subtract a third guy as well. The only spot I can see for Robertson is swapping Puustinen for him, which I would do if Toronto would go for it.

We can't bank on it, but we'll likely have a long term injury from camp.

And then you just waive the likes of Nieto, Acciari, etc.

I'd still pursue Robertson.

Reactions: pistolpete11

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
That's the makings of a non playoff roster if I've ever seen one. Even with Sid and Geno we will plummet, glad we're stock piling picks and prospects. 2029 can't come soon enough.
I laughed because this is exactly what I was thinking when I saw that list.

Reactions: Ryder71

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Nieto-Glass-Acciari

You don't not get (potentially) good, young players because you have a plethora or mediocre-to-bad players.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You don't not get (potentially) good, young players because you have a plethora or mediocre-to-bad players.

Where does he play here, though? The only spot I really see is pushing Puustinen out and replacing him with Robertson. Which I wouldn't particularly mind at all because I think Puustinen is pretty middling, but that's really the only spot on the roster that he particularly fits on.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Where does he play here, though? The only spot I really see is pushing Puustinen out and replacing him with Robertson. Which I wouldn't particularly mind at all because I think Puustinen is pretty middling, but that's really the only spot on the roster that he particularly fits on.
I'd have an open competition for LW1 with DOC, McGroarty, and Robertson. And I'd expect Robertson to win because I think he has a higher offensive ceiling than DOC and is further along development-wise than McGroarty.

I'd also expect that Toronto would want an NHL player in return, most likely Eller, preferably Acciari.

Robertson - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Rakell
McGroarty - Hayes - DOC
Beauvillier - Lizotte - Puusy
Glass-Acciari

Waive Nieto if they can't LTIR him.

Shuffle the bottom 6 around however you see fit.

Reactions: The Old Master

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I will say that even with my questions about adding Robertson, I really like the makeup of a McGroarty-Robertson winger duo. Both of those guys play a high pace, feisty type of game despite not being overly fast skaters, and I really think that kind of gritty style is something this team really lacks.

McGroarty-Eller-Robertson looks like it could work really well as a 2-way 3rd line. My big concern is that you'd have to absolutely murder the 4th line with heavy defensive usage, but the 3rd line looks really nice on paper.

I'd have an open competition for LW1 with DOC, McGroarty, and Robertson. And I'd expect Robertson to win because I think he has a higher offensive ceiling than DOC and is further along development-wise than McGroarty.

I'd also expect that Toronto would want an NHL player in return, most likely Eller, preferably Acciari.

Robertson - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Rakell
McGroarty - Hayes - DOC
Beauvillier - Lizotte - Puusy
Glass-Acciari

Waive Nieto if they can't LTIR him.

Shuffle the bottom 6 around however you see fit.

I don't particularly like this setup, I don't like the fit of Puustinen on a L4 that will have to be eating huge defensive minutes and I don't really like Hayes as a 3C either.

Puustinen for Robertson straight up does make a fair bit of sense, because I don't see what purpose Puustinen fills if you're also bringing in Robertson. But if you're keeping Puustinen while trading for Robertson, I think you'd be sitting with something like:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
McGroarty-Eller-Robertson
Glass-Puustinen

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I will say that even with my questions about adding Robertson, I really like the makeup of a McGroarty-Robertson winger duo. Both of those guys play a high pace, feisty type of game despite not being overly fast skaters, and I really think that kind of gritty style is something this team really lacks.

McGroarty-Eller-Robertson looks like it could work really well as a 2-way 3rd line. My big concern is that you'd have to absolutely murder the 4th line with heavy defensive usage, but the 3rd line looks really nice on paper.

I don't particularly like this setup, I don't like the fit of Puustinen on a L4 that will have to be eating huge defensive minutes and I don't really like Hayes as a 3C either.

Puustinen for Robertson straight up does make a fair bit of sense, because I don't see what purpose Puustinen fills if you're also bringing in Robertson. But if you're keeping Puustinen while trading for Robertson, I think you'd be sitting with something like:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
McGroarty-Eller-Robertson
Glass-Puustinen

Ideally, I want DOC on L4 personally.

Robertson - Crosby - Rakell
Bunting - Malkin - Glass
McGroarty - Hayes - Rust
DOC - Lizotte / Eller - Acciari

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
True but if you could ice Lizotte-Eller-Acciari, then so what? That's what each of those guys should be leaned on for.

Or even Lizotte-Hayes-Acciari. If you wanted a pure defensive line though, I'd opt for Eller at 4C.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I mean ideally OC is a bottom 6er on a well built roster. Not that this team is one.

he is a classic case of: okay with/slightly miffed to have him in your top 6, but estatic to play in your bottom 6.
Agree but as you say this team isn’t well built so DOC in the top 6 is ok based on how he produced at the end of last season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean ideally OC is a bottom 6er on a well built roster. Not that this team is one.

he is a classic case of: okay with/slightly miffed to have him in your top 6, but estatic to play in your bottom 6.

I think he's more of a fit on a 3rd line sure, but a 4th line with how Sullivan uses his 4th lines is a gross misplacement of him.

He's a top-9 LW that is ideally on your 3rd line. If you bring in Robertson, then Robertson, O'Connor and McGroarty will rotate between 1LW, 3LW and 3RW.

Because he's better suited for a bottom six role?

Putting O'Connor on L4 with how Sullivan uses his L4 is a complete waste of him.

He is. But why is unproven McG ahead of him?

I have less of an issue with McGroarty and more of an issue with Glass on L2.

Without any additions, their top-9 right now should be:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Rust

With hoping McGroarty plays well enough to push O'Connor to L3. If you bring in Robertson, swap Puustinen for Robertson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad