Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
I've always been a Sop fan and was good to see. He seemed to injury his wrist on a rush in the 3rd, I think. Missed a few shifts but did come back. Hope he is okay for the stretch.

Agreed. I continue to be impressed with Sop and his consistency. Very deserving last night.

Was hoping last night would be the night a couple of the rookies with 0 goals would finally light the lamp.
Morey came close. Bottineau appeared to get a solid shot on net.

Overall effort was good in this game, and quite frankly was owed to the GM for relieving CD of his duties. This sort of thing often happens after a firing. IMO, the real test is when they face contenders, such as tonight.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I went home near the end of the 3rd. I couldn't take it any more. Too many Rangers goals....

Seriously, you could see it in the warmup....you could see it how they entered the ice.......and you sure as heck see it when they dominated in the 1st and 2nd. I saw them enter the zone in a pack.....with three across.....and a follow-in when the puck was dumped to the player behind on entry. Once in there, it was chaotic and defied any one system. I've been waiting all season to see this and I do hope I'll see it again and again.

I know....one game....but hopefully the one that inspires this team.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Just a note from a Brown article. Parsons is back travelling with the team and has had skates on recently.
Rangers played extremely well last night dominating the Bulldogs. It was mentioned that teams usually have a bump up after a coach is fired. We have seen the Rangers come out flying in the odd game this year and then look like the old Rangers in the next. Let's hope they can keep it going until the end of the season. As fans we have gone from a high to needing Dr. Phil the very next day.

Mar 12, 2009
how did you know

how
I mean, just look at their username ;)

I was concerned that some of you had progressed past needing Dr. Phil, and were approaching the stage of needing the services of Dr. Kavorkian.
At least Kavorkian was a real doctor who didn't exploit mentally ill people for ad revenue.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I'm just hoping last night wasn't a one off like the Soo game where everyone thought we turned the corner too. Need a string of efforts like last night. Even if we don't dominate as much, there needs to be flashes of it every game. And high compete level throughout.

Fingers crossed 🤞

Edit - The compete level throughout should be the minimum standard for any team. The dominance will vary according to the talent level of the team.

Last edited:

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
A win against a top team and no comments? Didn’t watch the game.
The Rangers looked pretty good but you can see that they still need to tighten up in some areas. But they win the season series 2-0 over the Colts. It was good to see them play a tight one rather than that score fest on Friday. Vandenberg played a solid game and made several key saves as did their goalie. Arcuri had 4 points so it was nice to see another line carry the load than from Friday. The Ranger kept coming back and didn't quit and ended up winning it in OT. Still need to work on some weak giveaways as well as the PP which has been sputtering as of late. (I recall they only had one marker on the PP Friday?) I'm personally still a bit concerned about our ability to clear the man in front of the net. I suppose everyone is waiting to see how we do against London on Tuesday to see if we have really turned the corner.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Good road game for the Rangers. I agree with Geo about the defensive miscues. Rangers do have a habit of losing their coverage and leaving opposing players wide open. Hockey is a game of mistakes and every team in the OHL makes them though. Barrie was doing a great job breaking up plays at the blue line when the Rangers tried carrying pucks into their end. It was a tight game that seem to drag on. Vandenberg made quite a few massive saves and really track pucks well. Amazing for a rookie goalie. The next game against London is an important game for both squads. London is looking at jumping over the Spits and Rangers are using up their games in hand and need points to climb into the middle of the pack to avoid the Knights and Spits. I think any team that plays the Spits or even the Sting will struggle to beat them in a seven game series. Lots of weapons on both those squads. Spits have scored about 60-70 more goals than the Rangers. I think the Knights play a more defensive game and always seem to find ways to get under opponents skins and score that extra goal.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Looking at the standings,

1-4 is likely set.

Saginaw has looked like a bottom feeder since trading PM to Ottawa.
Flint has fallen under .500.
Guelph has been playing some good hockey the last 5 weeks. They remain over .500
We play Guelph once more and OS 4 more times I believe.

Guelph currently has 3 points on us and has played 1 more game so that one remaining game against Guelph is potentially the biggest game on the schedule moving forward.

7 points separate us from 5th.

5th in the conference provides more hope. I am not saying OS would be an easy first round exit, but our best chance of seeing the 2nd round comes against OS. I think they are a well coached team but I am not sold on them being much of a threat.

Def feeling better about this team than I was a week ago. Still a long way to go but its easy to see the extra step this team has right now. The players look like they're having fun. Hell, Schmidt was engaged physically last night.

Let's see what the week holds. London, Soo, Flint and Hamilton all on deck.

We've shown we can hang with London recently. The soo is a wild card right now because they have no pressure so you never know what you're going to get. But there is a solid opportunity for 8 points here. Lets get it!

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
I am looking at the standings post game from today (Sunday)

Guelph has moved into 6th. Flint to 7th.

Flint has played 4 more games than the Rangers and have a 4 point lead. That makes next Saturday's game a 4 point game essentially.

With MM back on the bench, anything is possible but I am starting to see a path.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
With the Storm and the Soo winning it puts more pressure on the Rangers. It seems like one of those years where the bottom of the pack can still pick off the teams at the top of the standings. Still a hole to dig out of. Doesn't matter who the opponent is every game is important now. The perfect scenario would be to climb into the 4th or 5th spot. Still no guarantee you win that series either. That is one hell of a challenge with the games remaining. Have to hope the Rangers keep winning and others falter.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
A little hockey history
Screenshot_20230213-101232_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230213-101232_Facebook.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230213-101253_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230213-101253_Facebook.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: rangersblues

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
With the Storm and the Soo winning it puts more pressure on the Rangers. It seems like one of those years where the bottom of the pack can still pick off the teams at the top of the standings. Still a hole to dig out of. Doesn't matter who the opponent is every game is important now. The perfect scenario would be to climb into the 4th or 5th spot. Still no guarantee you win that series either. That is one hell of a challenge with the games remaining. Have to hope the Rangers keep winning and others falter.

The nice thing about moving forward here is that aside from Guelph winning, and the Soo putting in a great effort right now, is that Saginaw and Flint are having a rough go. Saginaw specifically. They're in some trouble in the 2nd half. That's still a good squad but now you're seeing the results from trading your best players away and same with Flint. Just parting with some key parts of your roster is starting to show. Doesn't make them easy wins but with them losing, it is a bit of an advantage.

But yeah, its going to be a challenge for sure. No easy path this year. Especially with the start this team had. Didn't do themselves any favors. As good as this stretch could be, the way this season has gone likely has bit us in the ass already.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
London on deck tonight.

These games have bee fairly entertaining despite some loses.

Would love to just see a full 60 minute effort

If you're ahead, don't let up. If you're behind, show us that you've got that killer instinct and keep it a game.

Would love to see 2 points. Would put us 2 points behind Flint and 3 games in hand.

We play Flint twice more and once Next Weekend. Very interesting week and a bit ahead.

Reactions: rangersblues
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad