Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
The defensive zone coverage definitely needs to be tightened up. Twenty games to address it. It's going to be like going through training camp.

Unless there's a massive upset (or we can get to 5th place which is doubtful) we're going to have to run the gauntlet of London, Windsor and Sarnia in the playoffs. At least we can be optimistic now. Finish the regular season strong then one series at a time.

Just try and get as close to 5th as you can.

Need to go like 14-6 and whatever to give ourselves a shot. Its a tall task and its still a big ask but lets just see what this brings. BIG opportunity here to pick up points.

Reactions: rangersblues

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Maybe a tad late but hopefully the current coaching staff gets a jump out of the players between now and the playoffs. Go Rangers!

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Dennis still has the remainder of this season and two more years on the contract according to Brown. A lot of money to pay out for this issue. Not sure what the circumstances are when you fire a coach as far as contracts being paid entail. Just a ticket price increase or two and it's covered. Just kidding. It's not Loblaws. :naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: TheBlueMonster

LostRangers

Feb 1, 2023
Listening to a bit of what MM said at noon on Farwell. He said there are some skilled forwards that will be allowed to be more creative yet still watching their defensive commitments. Does these mean they were being held back somewhat? Rangers do need to put more pucks in the net for sure. I think their biggest weakness is the porous soft defense. Can MM tighten that issue up? Hamilton in here tonight. They have stepped up and are playing like a team in a successful rebuild.
Agree our biggest weakness is porous defense (and that is all 5 skaters, not just the two D and a Goaler), but not sure how giving our skilled forwards more creative license is going to solve that?

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Dennis still has the remainder of this season and two more years on the contract according to Brown. A lot of money to pay out for this issue. Not sure what the circumstances are when you fire a coach as far as contracts being paid entail. Just a ticket price increase or two and it's covered. Just kidding. It's not Loblaws. :naughty:
You pay him out from the playoff revenue they wouldn't have had if he stayed.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I've said this previously that I always felt Kitchener had a sharp young mind as your GM in the "M&M" man. Having said that he has made some rather significant gaffes especially when assessing and making moves with this edition of the Rangers. What is his contract status as I almost feel he is reacting in order to save his job lately? Good Luck he had no choice but to bring out the hatchet will be interesting to see how a decently veteran laden team responds? If they play up to expectations they are not a team I would want to be up against as an underdog come playoff time .....

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019

Im not expecting the rangers to now go on a 17-2-2 run or anything like that to end the year, but maybe there's a chance that Mike is a great coach and just an average GM at the end of the day. I know he doesn't want to be a coach at this level, but maybe he would do well as a coach and work his way up to a bigger league, instead of trying to be a GM. Just some thoughts

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
8-1 Rangers tonight.
I am not counting any chickens before they hatch. Still the same team with most of the coaching still in place behind the players. All the responsibility is directly on MMs shoulders for this seasons fiasco. He has to show that he made an error in judgment and make some sort of splash with what is left of the season. Hopefully they finish off strong. They are saying they will look for a new head coach next season.

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Im not expecting the rangers to now go on a 17-2-2 run or anything like that to end the year, but maybe there's a chance that Mike is a great coach and just an average GM at the end of the day. I know he doesn't want to be a coach at this level, but maybe he would do well as a coach and work his way up to a bigger league, instead of trying to be a GM. Just some thoughts

I wouldn’t be surprised if we go on a big run to finish out the regular season. As he did when he let Jay McKee go, he did so at the perfect time to take over.

When he let McKee go, he was starting out with a healthy lineup. McKee coached during a time where multiple prominent players on the team were injured. McKenzie took over as everybody was returning from injury and went on that magnificent run.

This time around, when you look at the remaining games on the schedule, we may be have four or five tough games on the docket. Unless I’m missing one, we have London twice, Windsor, Sarnia, Barrie. Everyone else we play should be very winnable games against teams that we pretty much trump when it comes to on-paper talent.

I’m not ripping McKenzie here being an opportunist. I doubt there’s anybody who is upset that we have a coaching change. But, his timing seems to be impeccable.

That being said, it wouldn’t surprise me if we finish out the regular season very strong - especially if the team had quit on Dennis. You look at the remaining schedule, you look at players being reinvigorated by the coaching change, you look at McKenzie’s statement of changing the systems to allow more offence, and we may have a big turnaround on our hands.

Reactions: Torts

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Dennis wasnt fired just relieved of his coaching duties. Assuming the Rangers dont have another position for him he'll be sitting at home collecting his cheque for the next two yrs. He could get another job outside of hockey and get a double salary (smart move IMHO) Or if another team in any league wants to offer him a job, they would need to ask permission from the Rangers. The Rangers would most likely grant the interview and if they want to hire CD then they would negotiate with the Rangers on sharing paying Dennis salary. I doubt any team would pay 100% of his salary when they have the Rangers over a barrel.

Wonder if the Rangers next HC is standing behind the Bulldogs bench as an assistant coach?

Last edited:

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
I am going to have a nice post game recap but man, how can you not be happy for Matthew Sop?

He works hard, keeps his head down, plays a clean game and now has a hat trick and 5 points tonight. He's had a good season and its nice to see him get rewarded.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Great game by Kitchener. They came out flying and set the tone early. It was also nice seeing them put up a large amount of goals without having to lean on Pinelli and Arcuri for it.

One thing I really want to say is that Hollett will never be a healthy scratch ever again. He was their best fourth line forward with his physicality.

Nice to see Sop get rewarded with a big game. He has been the most improved player since last year. So happy for him.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Great game by Kitchener. They came out flying and set the tone early. It was also nice seeing them put up a large amount of goals without having to lean on Pinelli and Arcuri for it.

One thing I really want to say is that Hollett will never be a healthy scratch ever again. He was their best fourth line forward with his physicality.

Nice to see Sop get rewarded with a big game. He has been the most improved player since last year. So happy for him.
I agree Hollett played well on the wing. We need the physicality.

I also liked seeing Mercer moved up the lineup. The 05 group showed promise last year. As good as Rehkopf and Andonovski have been, Zidlicky and Mercer had stalled in the first half of this year.

Giving Mercer an opportunity in the top six was refreshing and he didn’t really look out of place. He made some nice plays and with the injuries we have up front, he should get more opportunities. He is part of our future and IMO, should be given opportunity ahead of a couple depth 04’s who likely won’t be around two years from now.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I am going to have a nice post game recap but man, how can you not be happy for Matthew Sop?

He works hard, keeps his head down, plays a clean game and now has a hat trick and 5 points tonight. He's had a good season and its nice to see him get rewarded.
I've always been a Sop fan and was good to see. He seemed to injury his wrist on a rush in the 3rd, I think. Missed a few shifts but did come back. Hope he is okay for the stretch.

Anyone know what was with that delay after the 1st goal? Nothing was announced and I guessed maybe it was possibly goalie interference. (Though I say it was not) Lengthy delay, then the ref went to the Bulldogs bench for a lengthy explanation, then to the Ranger bench and finally the faceoff. No pointing at center ice indicating "It's good" but just continuing.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I've always been a Sop fan and was good to see. He seemed to injury his wrist on a rush in the 3rd, I think. Missed a few shifts but did come back. Hope he is okay for the stretch.

Anyone know what was with that delay after the 1st goal? Nothing was announced and I guessed maybe it was possibly goalie interference. (Though I say it was not) Lengthy delay, then the ref went to the Bulldogs bench for a lengthy explanation, then to the Ranger bench and finally the faceoff. No pointing at center ice indicating "It's good" but just continuing.
I thought I heard a whistle go just before the puck was banged in. Replay showed the ref point at the goal on the 1st shot that hit the post.

I’m thinking the ref thought it went in on that shot for a second but the second shot went in so fast after, that I figured they’d allowed the goal anyway and that they shouldn’t have blown it down.

I may be wrong. But I don’t think there was any other explanation.

Reactions: GeoBlue

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I thought I heard a whistle go just before the puck was banged in. Replay showed the ref point at the goal on the 1st shot that hit the post.

I’m thinking the ref thought it went in on that shot for a second but the second shot went in so fast after, that I figured they’d allowed the goal anyway and that they shouldn’t have blown it down.

I may be wrong. But I don’t think there was any other explanation.
Thank you. Makes sense. I just wish there would be some sort of announcement.

Reactions: EvenSteven
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad