Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
First off, I feel for Dennis as I hate seeing anyone lose a job. He clearly wanted to do his best for this team, but this had to happen. He clearly was not able to deliver at this level.

But it's on MM now!
This is important to remember.
Not the right fit doesn't discount that the man came in and did what he thought was best for team success.
All the best to him on whatever is next...

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Assistant coaches Dennis Wideman, Brandon Merli and Brennan Menard will remain on the coaching staff. McKenzie will assist with coaching duties on the bench for the remainder of the 2022-23 season.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
About a month late but ok…I’ll take it.

Like I noted a while back, some fans thought that MM would take over as coach after the trade deadline. I always thought it would be made about this time after MM had time to personally scout a lot of the top tier players.

Yes, CD may have been a good coach, but maybe not at this level. Sounds more of a communication issue between coach and players. Whats that horse racing saying "there are horses for certain courses"? I think this may have been the case.

I now believe the Rangers will probably play with more intensity and heart. Will this be enough to overcome some of physical "shortcomings" of the team?...Maybe for a 2 rounds but lets see!

Im still of the opinion that there needs to be a structural and philosphophy changes to the organization though.

Last edited:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
First off, I feel for Dennis as I hate seeing anyone lose a job. He clearly wanted to do his best for this team, but this had to happen. He clearly was not able to deliver at this level.

But it's on MM now!
I agree, these coaches lead an nomadic life with a wife and children in tow. Here's hoping he lands on his feet elsewhere and settles there for a few seasons.

OhSheilaa

Sep 18, 2022
Chris Dennis came with an impressive amount of experience and knowledge. For whatever reason, he didn't have the success he, or the organization had hoped for. He gave it his best. I wish him all the best. Just because he wasn't successful here, doesn't mean he won't be successful in another role.

Mike McKenzie had to make a difficult decision and it's one that puts a lot of pressure on him. I feel it's the right decision. There's a lot of talent on this team. I believe we're going to see that talent take off and soar.

We're in for some great hockey.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i haven't followed the rangers closely this season. were they expected to be much more competitive this season?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Chris Dennis came with an impressive amount of experience and knowledge. For whatever reason, he didn't have the success he, or the organization had hoped for. He gave it his best. I wish him all the best. Just because he wasn't successful here, doesn't mean he won't be successful in another role.

Mike McKenzie had to make a difficult decision and it's one that puts a lot of pressure on him. I feel it's the right decision. There's a lot of talent on this team. I believe we're going to see that talent take off and soar.

We're in for some great hockey.
Love your positivity Sheilaa. Hope you are right! Fans that paid for those seats down at the old barn deserve something. :)

Mar 12, 2009

But it's on MM now!
He shouldn't have too much trouble landing a good gig video coaching or trying the assistant role out again.

Now we see if this team can redeem itself, or if they're just too mismatched a group to get the job done.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Well, the real season is here now.

Let me start by saying, I appreciated the organization hiring a voice outside the organization as the head coach for once. When Dennis was hired, he looked like a guy who'd bring in a fresh voice. And who knows, if this was any other year, we might have fallen in love with him. But the timing to bring him in, in a go for it year, after the magic in London, was piss poor timing. That is a lot of expectation on a 1st time OHL HEAD COACH. We can talk about Chris's past coaching, maybe he wasn't the best for this role but he does have a little bit of a track record as a head coach, and was young enough to adapt to todays game and relate to todays player but he was in over his head and so was Mike for putting him in this situation.

Mike should have never left the bench. And I get it, he wanted to be a GM. Maybe that his best route to the NHL and if so then fine, so be it. But timing was everything here. His pro prospects took a massive hit and so did his respect in Kitchener.

Mike has a chance to right this ship and you can bet the players will be listening, especially anyone who will be returning. He's likely not happy to be on the bench so I think we can expect a hungry GM this offseason.

None the less, still lots of hockey left here and this was the right move.

All the best to Chris Dennis. Hopefully he gets another opportunity in Hockey.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Listening to a bit of what MM said at noon on Farwell. He said there are some skilled forwards that will be allowed to be more creative yet still watching their defensive commitments. Does these mean they were being held back somewhat? Rangers do need to put more pucks in the net for sure. I think their biggest weakness is the porous soft defense. Can MM tighten that issue up? Hamilton in here tonight. They have stepped up and are playing like a team in a successful rebuild.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Listening to a bit of what MM said at noon on Farwell. He said there are some skilled forwards that will be allowed to be more creative yet still watching their defensive commitments. Does these mean they were being held back somewhat? Rangers do need to put more pucks in the net for sure. I think their biggest weakness is the porous soft defense. Can MM tighten that issue up? Hamilton in here tonight. They have stepped up and are playing like a team in a successful rebuild.

The defensive zone coverage definitely needs to be tightened up. Twenty games to address it. It's going to be like going through training camp.

Unless there's a massive upset (or we can get to 5th place which is doubtful) we're going to have to run the gauntlet of London, Windsor and Sarnia in the playoffs. At least we can be optimistic now. Finish the regular season strong then one series at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad