Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2009
Of all the criticisms I have of the team, this is perhaps my biggest pet peeve. They're ability to make and take passes (especially take) is well south of OHL calibre. It's aggravating to watch.
No one has answered me on this, probably simply because people here no longer feel it worth their time like they used to (iirc a couple posters here used to check out practices and report back on whose looking good etc.), but I'm really curious if anyone has gone down to check out any practices to see if they're running real practices or short little skate around...because the constant rust in this area leads me to believe it's the latter. They don't seem to have the muscle memory that builds from repetition.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
No one has answered me on this, probably simply because people here no longer feel it worth their time like they used to (iirc a couple posters here used to check out practices and report back on whose looking good etc.), but I'm really curious if anyone has gone down to check out any practices to see if they're running real practices or short little skate around...because the constant rust in this area leads me to believe it's the latter. They don't seem to have the muscle memory that builds from repetition.
Exactly. I have not been to a practice to confirm for you, but I have always believed you can tell how a team practices by what shows up in their game. Making and taking passes at speed is so poor with this club that there's just no way they practice it enough. And I have seen other teams who have improved in leaps and bounds in that regard since September. It is fixable. You just have to do the things in practice to fix it.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I haven't been at practice for a few years now. Best I ever saw down there were Deboer and Spott. In scrimmages if a goal was scored a whistle blew immediately and Deboer would have everyone on the ice go back to where they were at that time. The player that lost his coverage would be told about it with Deboer hollering in his ear and there would be absolute silence. Rookie Catenacci screwed up a couple of times. Second time he was stuck on the bench to watch the whole practice and told he would probably get no ice time the next game. Not sure how they handle the players these days.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Funny you should say that as I got so frustrated that I counted one game. Of all passes that ended up on someone's tape, how many were to Rangers vs opponents. In counting for just one shift it was 5-1 for the opponent.
One particularly challenging year, the folks in my section counted the number of consecutive , completed passes on my team ( not the Rangers).

Most nights the number was never higher than 1.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Friday Night game on the road. This feels illegal lol.

VS The Soo.

The Soo are playing for 8th but truthfully, they're playing for a chance at the top pick.

Still one of the hardest arenas to walk into and leave with a point or two.

But this team still has to prove alot to this fan base and to themselves.

A win would be massive. A win puts us with in 2 points of Flint for 7th. We play Flint tomorrow.

2 wins this weekend and the path for 5th is right there. And close.

Lets see two complete efforts none the less.

Hope all who made the trip made it safely.

Reactions: bobber

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
That's a hell of a start.

4 goals. Only allowing 2 shots.

Frankies are inching closer to 40

Valade on stride to score 30+.

Andonovski proving he's going to be a hell of a defencemen for this squad.

Lots to love.

The Soo aren't very good but that building is hard to win in. Worth celebrating!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
…imagine if they fired CD months ago when people were asking for it.
Tough to say but I’m betting he’d have a better record. But his current 3-0-1 doesn’t tell the tale.

As I mentioned earlier, MM picked a good (opportunistic?) time to take over as coach. With 16 of 21 remaining games versus teams we are better than on paper and therefore, should beat, he was bound to have a better record than CD.

It’s when we hit the post season that will tell the tale.

But as you said, great win tonight. This team has a lot to prove so when we get up on teams, especially bottom feeders, you can’t let your foot off of their throats.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Tough to say but I’m betting he’d have a better record. But his current 3-0-1 doesn’t tell the tale.

As I mentioned earlier, MM picked a good (opportunistic?) time to take over as coach. With 16 of 21 remaining games versus teams we are better than on paper and therefore, should beat, he was bound to have a better record than CD.

It’s when we hit the post season that will tell the tale.

But as you said, great win tonight. This team has a lot to prove so when we get up on teams, especially bottom feeders, you can’t let your foot off of their throats.
Rangers kept the peddle down for the whole game with only a couple of glaring defensive mistakes. I agree Even about the opportunistic time. Realistically I would love to see MM coach a team he built through the draft. Hopefully they can keep going and pick off the teams they should be able to compete with. After this year it could be a while before Ranger fans see some competitive hockey.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Kyle Morey did okay in his scrap. Couple of 160 pounders light weights going at it. Still like to see some points from the 4th line. Hollett got his first goal. What's up with Trent Swick ? What sort of injury did he have? Have to mention Pinelli has risen to 8th in the points race.

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
The IF they win in the Soo didn't age well. Flint gave Windsor all it could handle on Thursday and didn't play last night. Rangers have a tough hill to climb tonight in Flint after a breakout win against the Soo. This is where the rubber meets the road.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Kyle Morey did okay in his scrap. Couple of 160 pounders light weights going at it. Still like to see some points from the 4th line. Hollett got his first goal. What's up with Trent Swick ? What sort of injury did he have?

Crickets on Swick. Would like to see him back in the lineup. And Misaljevic...concussion might keep him out longer than what's left in the season.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
Big game tonight. Chance to move up into 6th, and inch closer to 5th and potentially even 4th.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
No legs in this one right now. Need to find a gear in the second. Refs aren't helping. Counted 3 or 4 hooking/interference calls go unnoticed.

To add: Our D is just horrendous. Also Vandenberg should have had that 3rd goal. Is there a reason they need to always rotate goalies? Surely Costantini tonight, Vandenberg Monday would have made more sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers True Blue

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
How can this be the same team. Hopefully nobody gets injured jumping on and off the bandwagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad