Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The “war chest” he built up was not near the war chest at his disposal for the 17-18 run.

And we were, at best, the same caliber team this year as that team was prior to the “all in” moves.

In:
Stanley.
Sherwood.
Brown
McEneny.
Smith.
Culina.

Out:
9x2nds. 3x3rds. 4th. 2x5ths. 8th. Ladd.

In comparison, this year, prior to the Costantini trade, we had 6x2nds and 8x3rds, and no 1st rounder to deal in the “war chest”.

Not near enough to go all in when other contenders around the league had bigger war chests (some double the 2nds), arguably better teams to begin with, and were performing better.

And in 17-18, we addressed needs and filled holes. This year, we filled some holes but did not address our biggest needs.
That team with Stanley etc. was the most exciting hockey we saw down there in a few years.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
th place team Can't even watch this shit anymore. I think they're in for a good ole beat down today. Especially hard to listen to Sloaney and Doyle , homers that they are.
Doyle talks like a Funeral Director. Needs a shot of White's Horse Liniment to liven him up. Anyone thinking there is hope of the Rangers waking up and accomplishing anything this season is dreaming. Even if MM took over the bench he couldn't pull off a miracle. Sarnia built their squad up with trades. They still have issues but could the Rangers as they are built really beat one of these teams with skilled line ups in a 7 game series? Also they have to dig out of the hole they are in to make the play offs. It's just a mess. They look like a 9th place team in the first against Sarnia.

Last edited:

Billyjack

Aug 25, 2018
Kitchener -Waterloo
Doyle talks like a Funeral Director. Needs a shot of White's Horse Liniment to liven him up. Anyone thinking there is hope of the Rangers waking up and accomplishing anything this season is dreaming. Even if MM took over the bench he couldn't pull off a miracle. Sarnia built their squad up with trades. They still have issues but could the Rangers as they are built really beat one of these teams with skilled line ups in a 7 game series? Also they have to dig out of the hole they are in to make the play offs. It's just a mess. They look like a 9th place team in the first against Sarnia.
That’s hilarious, I am a funeral director, didn’t realize I talked like that LOL. Should we have the funeral for the Rangers now or wait till later. I’d like to take one of those discarded wreaths from the funeral home and lean it against the Rangers office door.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
McKee-style lineups. Let's see....that didn't work....try this...or this....or this...
1674407549427.png

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
That’s hilarious, I am a funeral director, didn’t realize I talked like that LOL. Should we have the funeral for the Rangers now or wait till later. I’d like to take one of those discarded wreaths from the funeral home and lean it against the Rangers office door.
Ranger fans all hope for a resurrection. :bones:

Reactions: Ward Cornell

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Watched the interview with MM on the tube Friday eve. Basically claimed his plan is working. Sold off last year. Built up a war chest and went for it this year. In doing this he never sold off the future. Kept all his young talent going forward. On a side note Sarnia had big Brenden Anderson out on the ice bumping the Rangers around. 6'5" 203. They picked him up for a reason and it wasn't for points. He was drafted by Kitchener in the 11th round I believe. Too rough cut for their mold.
That series win vs London last season justifies that there's a lot of talent returning? London was ripe for the picking. I hope everyone enjoys that moment because it's going to be a long time before we have another one like it.

"Never sold off the future" ?

Bye bye! Time for a big broom in April.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
I feel like London does or used to have more 2pm Sunday games than we do...ahh that takes me back to University in London; was always nice to have a game on the tube right around the time you recover from your hangover. Maybe I'm just nostalgic for watching a legitimately great team; I was definitely spoiled by that 2015-16 team. Local Knights games alone made the basic cable package worth it.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Few thoughts before the game.

3rd in 3. Hard to use that as an excuse when they barely showed up last night. The score isn't an indication. We only had 12 shots 5 on 5 last night.

Anyways that's it.

Go Bills I guess.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
That’s good, maybe he’ll miss the whole game and make it more enjoyable
Indeed ... Hennig's pretty rusty but there's no rambling homer banter w/Rick nor any progressively elongated slurring of 'eeeveerybodyupandintighhht' each faceoff ;)

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Indeed ... Hennig's pretty rusty but there's no rambling homer banter w/Rick nor any progressively elongated slurring of 'eeeveerybodyupandintighhht' each faceoff ;)
Hennig is doing a great job filling in on short notice. I don't think we can complain about any teams announcers being homers with what we have on 570 though.

I have to say Pinelli is really carrying this team right now. Almost all the offense is being created by him. Even more important is his physical presence. He threw a hit behind the London goal that set up a great scoring chance that we unfortunately didn't capitalize on. But it seemed to set the tone for the rest of the period.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Re PbP announcer...Tough to do with no prep, well done. Check thst...very well done lol.

Liked the Rangers player interview after the 1st. Good job Danny Zhilkin (and him mentioning his partners contribution also) . Kudos for looking to give back n raise awareness. Love seeing players use their platform as OHL players to help others.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Out of all the moves made, prying Dom Hennig out of Flint was by far kitcheners best move in the last number of seasons.

He's been great. Transparent. Love the guy.

Reactions: Gondrex
Mar 12, 2009
Good first half. Puck movement is crisp with some skill. Looks like a different team. Should be tired, but look sharper; are they not having hard practices?

Good so far, still half a game to play. edit: the second I hit "send" London scores, 2-1.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Great goal by Arcuri, then some terrible back checking on Londons second goal.

I will say, their cycle in the zone is getting more creative which is leading to more chances. Bruz is breaking ankles out there.

Last edited:

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
I'll concede today.

Anytime you can go into the Bud Gardens and take a tidy two points, its a good day.

This isn't a turn around. This is just the beginning if one exists but today, I'm not mad.

The Frankies played a great game today.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Very solid effort. Great defensive zone coverage for the most part. London had a lot of shots but most weren't that dangerous.

I think this answers the question what the ceiling could be. Consistency is now the question.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
The games I though they would lose, they won, and the game I thought they would win, they lost. Coin flip on most games this year as to which team shows up. Terrible 3rd offensively but I have never seen a London team not press in the 3rd when down, so I'll forgive them on that.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago, all we want is them to prove things will get better and show us consistency.

Reactions: rangersblues

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
I'm going to eat a little crow here. Great weekend of hockey by Rngers. I actually have hope of better things to come

I think we'd all like to be proven wrong about the things we've said. At the end of the day we want to watch this team succeed. So no need to eat crow. Like the rest of us, they need to prove to us they can do this and today, albeit 4 months into the season, was a good game by the Rangers. Not a bad afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad