Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Updated standings............

1679552212062.png

We are now in 6th. A regulation win over Flint on Friday and we control our own destiny. We could finish 5th but that would mean a dreaded, final game in Bud Arena. Perhaps if things pan out, London will rest some players and make it a gimme? But as of right now, we have a date with Sarnia.

Mar 12, 2009
Great, just like last year we go from having a potential top 6 pick to around 10-12 in the last few games of the season. I don't care who we play in round 1, none of the matchups are appealing and I could see us easily out in round 1 regardless who we play. Having a top 5-6 and the 11th pick would have been nice.

Reactions: All the Answers

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't the 2nd seed get the 3rd seed? And the 1st get the winner of the 4 vs 5?
Depending on where the Rangers finish. I'm assuming that the Rangers don't finish 5th and upset whoever they played in the first round. The top remaining seed would then play the Rangers and the 2nd remaining seed would then play the winner of the 4 vs 5 series. That's barring any other upsets.

Of course the chances are all that is out the window if the Rangers get 5th.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Great, just like last year we go from having a potential top 6 pick to around 10-12 in the last few games of the season. I don't care who we play in round 1, none of the matchups are appealing and I could see us easily out in round 1 regardless who we play. Having a top 5-6 and the 11th pick would have been nice.

Yeah agreed. It appears that ascending in the standing this late in the season is a case of too little, too late, and could arguably end up being counter-productive in the long run.

My guess is that the Rangers are going to pick up a couple forwards in the upcoming draft - likely both within a pick or two of each other. From my understanding it is a forward-heavy first round this year in the draft. The only highly-regarded D-man - Matt Schaefer - is currently ranked somewhere in the top 5 or so. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

It was actually suggested that since Niagara, assuming they win the draft lottery, could snatch Schaefer with their 1st pick, they could still get a very good forward at #5 - their compensatory pick.

So assuming the Rangers do grab a pair of forwards in round one (I personally wouldn't draft by position, and instead grab the best available players in round #1 - especially this being a year with a weak first round for D-men). So we would possibly have to wait to take the first D-man at round 3. Maybe the Rangers use the import draft to bring in a good D-man since Mesar is highly unlikely to return. Heck, make it a Czech to work with Hamara :) .

Last edited:
Reactions: Habsrule and bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Yeah agreed. It appears that ascending in the standing this late in the season is a case of too little, too late, and could arguably end up being counter-productive in the long run.

My guess is that the Rangers are going to pick up a couple forwards in the upcoming draft - likely both within a pick or two of each other. From my understanding it is a forward-heavy first round this year in the draft. The only highly-regarded D-man - Matt Schaefer - is currently ranked somewhere in the top 5 or so. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

It was actually suggested that since Niagara, assuming they win the draft lottery, could snatch Schaefer with their 1st pick, they could still get a very good forward at #5 - their compensatory pick.

So assuming the Rangers do grab a pair of forwards in round one (I personally wouldn't draft by position, and instead grab the best available players in round #1 - especially this being a year with a weak first round for D-men). So we would possibly have to wait to take the first D-man at round 3. Maybe the Rangers use the import draft to bring in a good D-man since Mesar is highly unlikely to return. Heck, make it a Czech to work with Hamara :) .
We Ranger fans have to have faith in MM and the scouts to make the correct decisions in this draft. The blew it the last draft. There are draft eligible players that would possibly go in round one already looking towards the US. Hope MM takes them serious. Our draft cupboard looks like Old Mother Hubbard's and it's still a mystery if any players they drafted last season are good enough to be solid OHL players.

Reactions: Gondrex

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Elite Prospects OHL draft ranking. Notable is #22 Hunter's younger brother, Henry, who also plays D and may come if the B family and Hunter are happy with the Rangers. Other than that, might want to stick to Cdn players who want to play here? No flyers please. Waiting to see where Rangers 1st round picks land.

1679660317055.png

Reactions: dirty12

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Elite Prospects OHL draft ranking. Notable is #22 Hunter's younger brother, Henry, who also plays D and may come if the B family and Hunter are happy with the Rangers. Other than that, might want to stick to Cdn players who want to play here? No flyers please. Waiting to see where Rangers 1st round picks land.

View attachment 675058
I don’t see us drafting Henry.

First, he’s ranked 22nd. Using one of our 1sts on him wouldn’t make sense as there will be better players on the board. I don’t see a repeat of a Steve Spott type move where we take a 2nd round ranked player in the 1st round (Pederson) because we don’t have a 2nd round pick and he won’t be on the board in the 3rd.

Second, we don’t have a pick in the 2nd round and he’ll likely be gone when we pick in the third.

Third, MM has already shown he won’t pick a brother “just because”. Luca Pinelli was on the board but he took Rehkopf instead. The right move? Jury may still out but I don’t hear anyone complaining.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
We Ranger fans have to have faith in MM and the scouts to make the correct decisions in this draft. The blew it the last draft. There are draft eligible players that would possibly go in round one already looking towards the US. Hope MM takes them serious. Our draft cupboard looks like Old Mother Hubbard's and it's still a mystery if any players they drafted last season are good enough to be solid OHL players.
MM is a gambler with decent results.

Pinelli “fell” to us at 13.

1st round ranked Schmidt “fell” to us near the end of the 2nd round.

His instincts/info was right not taking Fantilli when he was still on the board.

Rehkopf “fell” to us at 17.

The only blemish is the Hage pick. The jury is out on Longacre. (Schmidt scenario all over again?)

Is Hage enough for him to become gun shy? I doubt it. If a Rehkopf situation arises in this draft, Hage not reporting shouldn’t make a difference.

Don’t be surprised if one of our 1st rounders is used in this manner - if the opportunity is there.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
MM is a gambler with decent results.

Pinelli “fell” to us at 13.

1st round ranked Schmidt “fell” to us near the end of the 2nd round.

His instincts/info was right not taking Fantilli when he was still on the board.

Rehkopf “fell” to us at 17.

The only blemish is the Hage pick. The jury is out on Longacre. (Schmidt scenario all over again?)

Is Hage enough for him to become gun shy? I doubt it. If a Rehkopf situation arises in this draft, Hage not reporting shouldn’t make a difference.

Don’t be surprised if one of our 1st rounders is used in this manner - if the opportunity is there.
I think it's risky for MM to use one of the 1st round picks on a flyer if that is what you mean Even ? The players ranked in the first round in the vicinity of Rangers turn are no brainers. Hope MM uses his grey matter and picks two of the best players available that are willing to fill roster spots here next season. The best scouts are the ones finding diamonds in the rough in round three and up. This is where the rubber meets the road when a GM is building a solid team.

Last edited:

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Rehkopf and Pinelli both had hand shake deals to come to Kitchener. MM knew they would report. Hage I think didn’t commit and MM took a flyer on him as he knew any other player would be a 4th liner with what this team was looking at in the beginning of the season. I don’t mind the risk pick there knowing he was all in this season and you’d still get the pick back this coming draft if he didn’t sign.

I don’t think he takes a Hage (100% not committed) but if a Rehkopf type player agrees to only come to the Rangers then it may seem like a flyer / risk but it will turn out not to be.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Hope MM uses his grey matter and picks to of the best players available that are willing to fill roster spots here next season.
I think it might be easier to do next season. In the past few years, we have always had a good number of returning veterans and it was sort of a "do we go for it or don't we?" seasons. Next year is definitely a rebuild which will be appealing to draftees that want to get some serious ice time in the "O".

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

View attachment 675058
Might be a tough year for our scouts. I don't see any players from the Southern Tier Admirals on this list.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Massive Massive last weekend of the season.

Win both games and 5th place is likely to be had. Giving us a 1st round series with Saginaw who while are still a great team, are the easiest option of the 4.

Showdown with London could be interesting.

London and Windsor are playing a B2B this weekend with London finishing off VS Kitchener.

Opportunity for 4 points is right here.

Give us some hope heading into the playoffs boys!

Mar 12, 2009
Rehkopf and Pinelli both had hand shake deals to come to Kitchener. MM knew they would report. Hage I think didn’t commit and MM took a flyer on him as he knew any other player would be a 4th liner with what this team was looking at in the beginning of the season. I don’t mind the risk pick there knowing he was all in this season and you’d still get the pick back this coming draft if he didn’t sign.

I don’t think he takes a Hage (100% not committed) but if a Rehkopf type player agrees to only come to the Rangers then it may seem like a flyer / risk but it will turn out not to be.
Rehk also had a deal in place with Muskegon who signed him to a tender agreement which forces them to give up their first round pick. Maybe MM new for sure Rehk would come, but he left himself with several options before signing later in the summer.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
I am not sure how hot of a take this is going to be but what a useless pick up Leyton Moore has been. He can't defend a nat.

This was just brutal. Its going to take a long time to get over this loss. What a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad