Player Discussion: Kirill Marchenko thread

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Chinakhov’s better!!!

In all seriousness, love Marchenko as a player. Needs to add some patience to his game, slow it down a bit more at times with the puck, and improve his shot selection.

Skating AGILITY could use some improvement. I think he also needs to add some more muscle to his frame to add to his effectiveness, even if his top speed lowers a bit.

All in all, I’m all for keeping all 3 of the Russians for as long as possible.
My favorite does not always equal the best. In fact, it’s possible it never has in the club’s history. It’s not a scouting report.

Kevyn Adams
David Vyborny
Duvie Westcott
Marc Denis
Ole-Kristian Tollefson
Manny Malhotra
Matt Calvert
Nick Foligno
Oliver Bjorkstrand

Some of those guys overlap but those are the guys that stand out to me off the top of my head.

I share your position that I'd like to keep Marchenko, Chinakov and Voronkov as long as possible. I am a fan of all three.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
My favorite does not always equal the best. In fact, it’s possible it never has in the club’s history. It’s not a scouting report.

Kevyn Adams
David Vyborny
Duvie Westcott
Marc Denis
Ole-Kristian Tollefson
Manny Malhotra
Matt Calvert
Nick Foligno
Oliver Bjorkstrand

Some of those guys overlap but those are the guys that stand out to me off the top of my head.

I share your position that I'd like to keep Marchenko, Chinakov and Voronkov as long as possible. I am a fan of all three.
I think my list roughly goes as follows:
David Vyborny
Ty Conklin
Fredrik Norrena
Jan Hejda
RJ Umberger
Marc Methot
St. Vinny
Cam Atkinson
Nick Foligno
Mark Letestu
Nick Blankenburg

Marchenko's getting there but it's an uphill battle given my morale of late.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
David Vyborny
Ty Conklin
Fredrik Norrena
Jan Hejda
RJ Umberger
Marc Methot
St. Vinny
Cam Atkinson
Nick Foligno
Mark Letestu
Nick Blankenburg

Ah Mark Letestu. And it's hard to argue on Ty Conklin, given his keen grasp of criticality.

Reactions: EspenK and Viqsi

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
David Vyborny
Ty Conklin
Fredrik Norrena
Jan Hejda
RJ Umberger
Marc Methot
St. Vinny
Cam Atkinson
Nick Foligno
Mark Letestu
Nick Blankenburg

Letestu - one of my favorites for sure.

My girlfriend’s fav was Cam who she always refers to as “my son”. :laugh:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Example #3,148 of how a thread goes off topic.

Tugger and Denis among the goalies. One of my favorite memories is going to a CBJ game with my niece when she was maybe ten and every time Marc Denis would make a save we would say in unison ‘Denis denies’.

Reactions: Jovavic

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
My favorite list includes Tugnutt, Nash (early Nash), Prout, Calvert, Jack Johnson, Bob, and Werenski. I was a fan of healthy Ryan Murray. I loved the era where we had lots of good defensemen. Ready to jump on the Lindstrom or Elick train in a few years.

For both the Jackets and the Crew I got caught up in the first season hype (especially the Crew when they played in Ohio Stadium) but then ignored them for a few years. But I had OSU football season tickets and would go to OSU basketball, OSU hockey, and Clippers games. Heck, I even went to some Destroyers games. Really got back into hockey when my kids started playing

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I must say I'm not a fan of his preseason play so far, looks like he's just mailing it in. Hope that will change once real games begin and he gets to play on a different line.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I think my favorite CBJ player is Brandon Dubinsky. What I learned from Dubi was that most players "love winning" but very few players truly "hate losing" Teams need players who hate losing if they are truly ever going to change the culture in the room. Dubi was that guy...IMO he was the guy who sparked the turnaround in Columbus professional hockey.

Maybe he was never our #1C or scored 40 goals but he was the beating heart of this organization for several years even if he never wore the "C". He was the guy the team went to when there was a hard assignment...he was the best man for the job.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Voracek is my all-time favorite. And it’s not even close. He was a beauty on and off the ice. Hockey just isn’t as fun for me anymore since he left the game.
This! Voracek was my first favorite Blue Jacket. I grew up in NE Ohio in a county with a single public ice rink and no pro hockey on TV except rarely. I got into hockey in college in the late aughts at OU by chance because the club hockey team needed employees, and the Jackets were on TV. I lost interest in the Jackets during the Carter fiasco and because Voracek was traded. As a lifelong Indians/Guards fan, I was used to my favorites getting traded and sports being misery but I couldn't do two miserable teams at once. I didn't really get seriously back into hockey til I moved to Columbus in 2016, and especially after the 2016 World Series broke my heart and killed baseball for me.

Marchenko is definitely one of my current favorites, though.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Voracek is my all-time favorite. And it’s not even close. He was a beauty on and off the ice. Hockey just isn’t as fun for me anymore since he left the game.
Yeah yeah I’d have to add him to my list too. Being at the draft here when he was drafted doesn’t hurt the fan-dom aspect either.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
He was involved in two team transactions that made me sad, so that colors my impression of him.
Indeed I hated it when we traded him away and the return trade sent away a lifer. He also had some less than complimentary things to say about Cbus after the first trade.

But what a beauty player and approach.

And yeah I recognize I have derailed the Kirill thread but it was unintentional as I was initially commenting on Marchy. I figure it’ll get back on topic at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad