Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal part 2

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's kinda weird, he did power skating this summer, so in theory he shouldn't look that off in his skating.
Confidence plays a big role in that... He started off far more explosive and aggressive the first few games but didn't get rewarded on the scoreboard. Definitely seems to be in his head now... Moving sluggish, fumbling pucks, slow reactions.

He'll work through it, hopefully sooner than later and before actual fatigue and season wear and tear start accumulating

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Which NHLers don't do some form of power skating in the summer ?
A lots of them, going by Habs prospects stories and players looking slower years after years before they turn 30...

In Dach cases, it was probably part of his "getting back into shape" plans. Saying that, I read today that he's playing with a knee brace. That explains why he's always falling down along the boards and some of the lack of mobility.

Reactions: Andrei79

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Confidence is everything. His timing is just off and is behind the play most of the time. It will come back with a lot of practice and ice time. Only thing he has to do is work hard all the time.

The other thing is Dach knows he still isn't established in this league. He still needs to prove himself alot. Put extra pressure on him.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
It's kinda weird, he did power skating this summer, so in theory he shouldn't look that off in his skating.
I had ACL + meniscus surgery playing college football 7 years ago . That surgery makes you lose a bit a speed for sure , but lots of flexibility , souplesse and agility.

Losing just 5 % of those traits can transform a good player to an ordinary . The difference between an all star and a regular player is often just details.

It’s not because it’s a common surgery that it ain’t a big career disruptor.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
From February 15, 2023 to up to this October, Dach played a total of 6 games. Not a surprise that a 23 year old who played 6 games in 18 months is off to a slow start and struggling.

The good thing is he has occasionally shown some plays where he looks like the Dach pre-injuries. At this point the best thing could be to keep on the wing until he gets some confidence back offensively.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I think he need 20-25 games to be himself again.

I'm not worried at all, he don't lose his talent, he just lose 1 year of hockey, that's huge.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Remember last year when everyone said that ACL injuries were “no big deal” anymore and that he would likely come back better and stronger

He hasn’t looked good since he had to fight for himself after taking a dirty hit in preseason, no fire yet.
Surgery is a bitch and not all players respond well or immediately.
18 months and some estimations go as high as two years before full strength is realized.
For me Caufield only became himself in the last 10 games or so last season and that was a shoulder.

I have no idea what Dach's skating will end up looking like.
The reality is the league is full of players who were never quite the same after knee surgery.
Koivu and even Galchenyuk as forwards and Markov on D in our own backyard.
It is never a good thing there just aren't that many Bobby Orr's out there but then again he could play on one leg.

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal
I don't think it's just the knee, I think his whole body will need time to get back to elite athlete levels. It would be a mistake to evaluate him as a player in these circumstances.

Maybe insulate him on a wing for a couple of months? Does the reconditioning stints in the AHL still exist? Could've been a good idea to send him there to start the season, but that's hindsight.

It'll take a while.

Last edited:

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Physically, I feel he looks like himself. He’s been strong along the boards and seems to be winning most battles for the puck. And you can see the effort on the ice, he’s not just floating around.

He usually is a better playmaker, but clearly as been struggling of late. Might be the time he need to get back into the tempo of the game.

He was never really a goal scorer but need to take more shot, he’s in good position often but chooses to pass.

I’m confident he’ll be back on track, eye test on most part have looked pretty good so I’m not worried

Reactions: ChikN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad